Favorite Songs List

BryBry
edited February 2008 in Forum Games
This suggestion came from Gle3nn, who writes:
How about a list of your 5 favorite songs. The next person copy the list, add their own favorite 5. If a song is already on the list just add +1 to the song etc. Everyone just post once and see what the final tally is after a week.
I think this might actually work. What I'm going to add is this: Along with your list, comment on (at least) one of the songs you've chosen and say something about why you like it. [I'm especially interested if you pick something that isn't a "popular" choice.]

The list so far, in alphabetical order:

1 - Big Bad World One
1 - The Future Soon
1 - I Feel Fantastic
1 - Millionaire Girlfriend
1 - Shop Vac

Millionaire Girlfriend - The lyrics are phenomenal, and I can't get over the little falsetto flip at "She's my millionaire girlfriend..." (I actually really enjoy all the songs where JoCo goes into his head voice -- Womb with a View, for instance.)

I Feel Fantastic - Witty lyrics again, and the rapid-fire chorus. I've said before that I listen to JoCo mostly entire-album-through or on shuffle -- this is the one song I've listened to on repeat for hours.

(I'm really agonizing over these choices -- these just happen to be the five I enjoy the most right this minute. Also, you don't have to write comments as long as mine, but something reasoned would be nice.)

Comments

• edited February 2008
    2 - Big Bad World One
    2 - The Future Soon
    1 - I Feel Fantastic
    2 - Shop Vac
    1- Bozo's Lament
    1- Skullcrusher Mountain

Bozo's Lament- I hate clowns, maybe because a clown killed my father, but This song strikes the same chords with me that "Future Soon" and "Big Bad World One" do.
  • edited February 2008
    Hm. I've narrowed it down to 50...I'll let you know once I've tenthed that.

Edit: Down to 36...
  • edited February 2008
    3 - The Future Soon
    1- I Crush Everything
    1 - I'm Your Moon
    1 - Dance Soterios Johnson Dance
    3 - Shop Vac

2 - Big Bad World One
    1 - I Feel Fantastic
    1- Bozo's Lament
    1- Skullcrusher Mountain

My decisions seem sort of random to me, but they are my favorites for today. I LOVE "I'm Your Moon, it makes me sort of weepy and girly every time I hear it. I've been in a "I Crush Everything" phase lately. The Future Soon and Shop Vac are sort of bookends to my life and DSJD just makes me laugh.

p.s. I edited it to show which songs I considered my favorite five, hope that makes sense.
  • I can't do it. I've narrowed it down to 35 and I can't bear to delete anything else from the list. I have no willpower.
  • edited February 2008
    1 - Better
    1 - Make You Cry
    1 - Mr. Fancy Pants
    1 - De-Evolving
    1 - Famous Blue Raincoat

3 - The Future Soon
    1- I Crush Everything
    1 - I'm Your Moon
    1 - Dance Soterios Johnson Dance
    3 - Shop Vac
    2 - Big Bad World One
    1 - I Feel Fantastic
    1- Bozo's Lament
    1- Skullcrusher Mountain

Better: One of the first JC songs I heard, and I guess it stuck. I just love his take on the whole "You know, you've really changed" idea. And then there's the duple over triple thing, which makes the music parts of my brain happy.

Make You Cry: I like my music like I like my chocolate and my men - BITTER. The lyrics are so effed up, but the guitar is so beautiful. I love that ironic juxtaposition.

Mr. Fancy Pants: Bouncy, happy, kinda bitter and effed up. Do you see a theme developing?

De-Evolving: "Keeping the thumbs, but I'm getting dumb." That's funny stuff! And then the bridge just WAILS!

Famous Blue Raincoat: This edged out at least half a dozen other songs just based on the fact that I think I've listened to it more than the others. Haunting, evocative, ambiguous, beautiful. I know the lyrics aren't his, but the banjo is perfect, as is the octave-up vocal over the verse.
  • edited February 2008
    1- That spells DNA
    1- Re: Your Brains
    1- Code Monkey
    1- First of May
    2- I Feel Fantastic

1- Better
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    1- I Crush Everything
    1- I'm Your Moon
    1- Dance Soterios Johnson Dance
    1- Millionaire Girlfriend
    1- Bozo's Lament
    1- Skullcrusher Moutain
    2- Big Bad World One
    3- The Future Soon
    3- Shop Vac

That Spells DNA: Its a catchy tune with hilarious lines like "If you're looking for someone convenient to blame you can take a pick its one or the other." (parental units)

Re: Your Brains: This song is hilarious seeing as to how this exchange is taking place between co-workers. The absurdities of living in a mall also intrigue me.

Code Monkey: Whether you are a Code Jockey or not I can say we have all felt the sting of a love interest not even noticing us. And of course the idiot boss who takes all the credit.

First of May: I like the vocals and the fact that he is having conversations with animals like pocahontas.

I Feel Fantastic: STEAK TASTES BETTER PILL is all that needs to be said
  • 2- Skullcrusher Moutain
    2- Code Monkey
    2- Re: Your Brains
    4- The Future Soon
    3- I Feel Fantastic

1- That spells DNA
    1- First of May
    1- Better
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    1- I Crush Everything
    1- I'm Your Moon
    1- Bozo's Lament
    2- Big Bad World One
    3- Shop Vac

(My sweetie and I sing Code Monkey in harmony. We're nauseatingly cute.)
  • 3- Skullcrusher Moutain
    3- Code Monkey
    4- The Future Soon
    3- I Feel Fantastic

2- That spells DNA
    1- First of May
    1- Better
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    1- I Crush Everything
    2- I'm Your Moon
    1- Bozo's Lament
    3- Big Bad World One
    3- Shop Vac

'I'm your Moon' will always rank high up there for me.
  • BryBry
    edited February 2008
    Formatting seems to be a problem -- how about this?

*your five songs*
    *updated list of songs (including your five)*
    *reason(s) for liking one or more of those songs*

(e.g.
    +1 A
    +1 D

3 - A
    2 - B
    1 - C
    1 - D

I like D because it's catchy.
    )

The list as it stands after IndigoMonkey's post:

1- Better
    3- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    3- Code Monkey
    1- Dance, Soterios Johnson, Dance
    1- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    1- First of May
    4- The Future Soon
    1- I Crush Everything
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    2- I'm Your Moon
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mr. Fancy Pants
    3- Shop Vac
    3- Skullcrusher Mountain
    2- That Spells DNA
  • +1 I Crush Everything (demo)
    +1 Creepy Doll
    +1 Better
    +1 Re: Your Brains
    +1 Still Alive (GLaDOS)

1- Creepy Doll
    1- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    2- Better
    3- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    3- Code Monkey
    1- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    1- First of May
    4- The Future Soon
    1, 1(demo)- I Crush Everything
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    2- I'm Your Moon
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mr. Fancy Pants
    3- Re: Your Brains
    3- Shop Vac
    3- Skullcrusher Mountain
    2- That Spells DNA
  • so Al...You preffer the I Crush Everything demo to the release version? Should that be a new song? yes I think so, we'll see what happens.

+1 I Crush Everything
    +1 The Future Soon
    +1 Big Bad World One
    +1 De-Evolving
    +1 My Monkey

1- Creepy Doll
    1- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    2- Better
    4- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    3- Code Monkey
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    1- First of May
    5- The Future Soon
    2- I Crush Everything
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    2- I'm Your Moon
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Monkey
    3- Shop Vac
    3- Skullcrusher Mountain
    2- That Spells DNA
    1- I Crush Everything (Demo)

That's my list for today anyway...
    I note no love for My Monkey yet. I dunno why, but it's always been one of my favorites.
  • +1 Shop Vac
    +1 When You Go
    +1 The Future Soon
    +1 A Talk With George
    +1 First of May

1- Creepy Doll
    1- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    2- Better
    4- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    3- Code Monkey
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    2- First of May
    6- The Future Soon
    2- I Crush Everything
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    2- I'm Your Moon
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Monkey
    4- Shop Vac
    3- Skullcrusher Mountain
    2- That Spells DNA
    1- When You Go
    1-A Talk With George

(Obligatory Note: I believe everything to be in order. If I miscalculated something, feel free to correct me.)
  • edited February 2008
    Okay. I've done it. Finally. In order of preference:

1) Dance, Soterios Johnson, Dance
    Someone is Crazy
    3) Creepy Doll
    Madelaine
    5) Ikea

Explanations:

"Dance, Soterios Johnson, Dance" - the idea is brilliant. the lyrics are evocative. the music is compelling. a genius smashing expectations indeed.

"Someone is Crazy" - "you throw your hands up in the air and swear you didn't know / you think the world revolves around you, but it doesn't, so / you sit and spin" ... need I say more? It's so fantastically bitter and condemnatory and I just cannot get over that image.

"Creepy Doll" - antiquing/creaking. the bells at the beginning. etc. it seems almost Poe/Raven-esque.

"Madelaine" - there are just so many great, witty lines. it's wonderful.

"Ikea" - I'm not really sure this belongs on this list...it's clever and all, but ... so are a whole lot of others. See the following parenthetical for other options.

(The ones that were close but didn't make it:

"The Future Soon" has enough points that I feel like I can safely omit it from my list.

"You Ruined Everything" -- a kind of emotional one, I guess. How to explain this...I guess I often feel like I need outside, impersonal sources for me to feel real emotion, but when that happens, I often feel like I'm being manipulated - like, "this book/movie/etc. isn't actually about anything I care about or with which I could really empathize; what the hell are they doing to make me feel like this?" But I feel like this song actually *does* break down my, uh, cold-robot-insides.

"Womb with a View" was really really close to making it too. It's probably the saddest song I've ever heard...not gonna lie, it made me cry once. But yeah. It's a favorite, definitely.

"Millionaire Girlfriend" and "Brookline" are way up there, too.

And, who am I kidding, a whole lot of others - Big Bad World One, The Big Boom, When You Go, Curl, I Crush Everything, Betty and Me, Mandelbrot Set, Bozo's Lament, I'm a Mason Now, Screwed, Octopus...

Oh: and another note - I really really like Camp Bachelor Alma Mater because it's such a freaking perfect chorale and the incongruity between music and lyrics - while a common theme in the JoCoeuvre, surely - is exemplified in it ridiculously perfectly.)

And so, the list:

2- Better
    4- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    3- Code Monkey
    2- Creepy Doll
    2- Dance, Soterios Johnson, Dance
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    2- First of May
    6- The Future Soon
    2- I Crush Everything
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    1- Ikea
    2- I'm Your Moon
    1- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Monkey
    4- Shop Vac
    3- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    1- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1-A Talk With George
    2- That Spells DNA
    1- When You Go

(p.s. I wasn't sure how to alphabetize the "I"s - if anyone thinks there's a better method than mine, go for it.)

(also: could someone explain to me the allure of Shop Vac? 'Cause I don't get it, at all.)
  • I voted for Shop Vac in my 5 and I guess I didn't really talk about it.

I see it as a picture of suburbian dystopia. These poor people have achieved the "American Dream" and it is empty. They have all the little status symbols but, instead of being content, they are miserable. Depression, alcoholism, isolation. "I guess I gotta go back there." But there is more. It is a reality check for the people who's lives are starting to resemble this poor couple. A lot of us have minivans, gourmet grocery stores and such. This song reminds us not to slip into complacency and accept a substandard life. If Code Monkey finally got married, he might be living here.
  • +1 Better
    +1 The Future Soon
    +1 Octopus
    +1 Pull The String
    +1 Shop Vac

3- Better
    4- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    3- Code Monkey
    2- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    2- First of May
    7- The Future Soon
    2- I Crush Everything
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    1- Ikea
    2- I'm Your Moon
    1- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Monkey
    1- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    5- Shop Vac
    3- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    1- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1-A Talk With George
    2- That Spells DNA
    1- When You Go

I'm too tired for explanations...

I love "Better." It has long been my favorite JoCo song. And I'm honestly not sure why. Lyrically, it is fantastic. It is one that I love to sing along with.

"The Future Soon" was the first JoCo song I heard. I remember identifying with it immediately, just that idea of "You all laugh now, but one day I'll show you little people."

I feel like "Octopus" showed an evolution in JoCo's already incredible writing abilities. That is to say... all musicians that endure have to evolve and grow, and "Octopus" really excited me because it meant that JoCo is definitely going to endure.

"Pull The String" was my favorite TAW song, almost immediately. As a fangirl of things, much as I'm not a fan of celebrity, I'm sort of obsessed with it.

"Shop Vac".... To be honest, I didn't care for this song until I heard it live. I think I just didn't get it. The way jesss describes it above is perfect... and I didn't see any of that in it until I heard it live. Not sure why.
  • "I Crush Everything" (demo) made me cry, more than once. Even though I've listened to it around 150 times, it still can (I initially thought it was about a cyclops, though). I first cried somewhere around play 20. No other song has even made me cry once. Now it's my favorite song, period. The release version simply cannot compare. Maybe this has something to do with its simplicity and honesty, and the acoustics of the recording room.
    Shruti: I see "Womb with a View" as serene, not sad.
  • In no particular order (as that is just too hard)

Skullcrusher Mountain
    The Future Soon
    Code Monkey
    Mr Fancy Pants
    Re: Your Brains

3- Better
    4- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    4- Code Monkey
    2- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    2- First of May
    8- The Future Soon
    2- I Crush Everything
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    1- Ikea
    2- I'm Your Moon
    1- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Monkey
    1- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    4- Re: Your Brains
    5- Shop Vac
    4- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    1- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1-A Talk With George
    2- That Spells DNA
    1- When You Go

Mr Fancy Pants - A quick, catchy, fun, upbeat tune, and it even has depth to the story.
  • @Al - Really? "maybe when we get outside, we'll both still remember / maybe some day, we will meet on the street / and I'll know it's you / ..." - you *know* that's not going to be true. It won't happen. They're being torn apart and trying to play it cool and act like nothing's happening and that everything will be fine, but it won't; it won't! I find it kind of devastating.
  • I find Womb with a View to be one of the sweetest love songs ever. That aching pang of separation from your soul mate is what makes it so much more powerful. I know we can't be together now but, someday we'll be together. There's a lot of promise in the song.
    But then for me, it was ten years from the time I met the woman of my dreams to when I was finally able to date and then marry her. So, that may be coloring my perception.
  • The entire song just seems to me like the perfect lyrical expression of a sad, wistful smile, y'know?

Maybe not.
  • Womb With A View has always been one of the JoCo songs that I've never understood, either what it's actually on about or connotations of it-becasue I don't understand the first meaning, it's a lot harder to find other meanings.
  • I actually didn't discover Womb With A View for a very long time, I managed to completly miss it, I think it was months after TAW ended I found it. It's a sweet song, but I really like the concept songs about geeky things like the future, computers and fractals.
  • +1 Dance, Soterios Johnson, Dance
    +1 Baby Got Back
    +1 IKEA
    +1 That Spells DNA
    +1 Take Care of Me

1- Baby Got Back
    3- Better
    4- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    4- Code Monkey
    2- Creepy Doll
    3- Dance, Soterios Johnson, Dance
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    2- First of May
    8- The Future Soon
    2- I Crush Everything
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    2- IKEA
    2- I'm Your Moon
    1- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Monkey
    1- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    5- Shop Vac
    4- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    1- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    3- That Spells DNA
    1- When You Go

My first two favorites (D,SJ,D and BGB) are songs that I just believe are tour de force masterpieces. They're melodic, the harmonies are impressive, they show off JoCo's multiple musical gifts, and they're completely unexpected. Also, it makes me happy to listen to them.

I think everybody is fond of the first JoCo song they ever heard; IKEA is mine, plus I have strong personal ties to the subject matter. It's my ring tone. When it rings in a busy place, like a store or a crowd, my first reaction is just pleasure because it gives me the feeling that I'm liking the muzak a lot -- then I realize what it is and answer.

DNA and Take Care of Me are so smart and insightful and cleverly done that they get me every time I hear them. Both are songs I could listen to on constant rotation and not get tired of them.

Also-rans -- the genius Talk with George, I Crush Everything, Womb, Moon, and Octopus. A few months ago Still Alive (GlaDOS) would have been up there, but I OD'd on it and kind of ruined it for myself.
  • That is the amazing thing about this music. Even the songs that you sort of blew by on the first listen have such depth that you can grow in appreciation. I just made a road trip CD of JoCo songs that I felt were underappreciated by me, so I would give them another listen (or three or four). Womb With A View was one of these. My top 5 list was different a few months ago and I bet it will be different next month too.

I also agree about hearing the songs live. That is what introduced me to "I'm Your Moon". JoCo got a request for it and was sort of like "Um, OK, let me see if I can remember how it goes" And then he puts all this poignancy behind it. I have loved it ever since.
  • When I saw him live, he did "Make You Cry", which I'd never really cared for. It completely changed my opinion of it.
  • I'm switching from Ikea to Womb with a View...because I am indecisive. Sorry.

1- Baby Got Back
    3- Better
    4- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    4- Code Monkey
    2- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    2- First of May
    8- The Future Soon
    2- I Crush Everything
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    1- IKEA
    2- I'm Your Moon
    1- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Monkey
    1- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    5- Shop Vac
    4- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    1- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    3- That Spells DNA
    1- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View
  • I heart all y'all who bothered to alphabetize.
  • hehe...and I keep looking at the list and thinking, "Numerical order people! Numerical order!"
  • BryBry
    edited February 2008
    I won't bother with the whole list ("copy to spreadsheet, sort" if you're playing along at home), but here are the [ETA: 11] songs with 3+ votes:

8- The Future Soon
    5- Shop Vac
    4- Big Bad World One
    4- Code Monkey
    4- Skullcrusher Mountain
    3- Better
    3- I Crush Everything [2 WTMT release, 1 Demo]
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    3- That Spells DNA

[ETA: I don't mind either order, but numerical order may change and alphabetical won't.]

Edited again to add:
    Top 11, by album:
    Thing a Week: 5 [Shop Vac; Big Bad World One; Code Monkey; Re Your Brains; Dance, Soterios Johnson, Dance]
    Our Bodies, Ourselves...: 3 [Better; I Feel Fantastic; That Spells DNA]
    Where Tradition Meets Tomorrow: 3 [The Future Soon; Skullcrusher Mountain, I Crush Everything]
    Smoking Monkey: 0
    Other Experiments: er... (I Crush Everything demo got 1 vote; DSJD demo got 0)
  • That is a satisfying list. Every song is among my favorites.
  • Re: the discussion of "Shop Vac" up there...

I fell hard for that song on first hearing, with the lines But we haven't got real friends/and now even the fake ones have stopped calling. Maybe it's something to do with living somewhere where I haven't felt at ease and it took me a very long time to find my people.

I haven't made my list, but I'm needing to get to some work I promised to do.
  • +1 Mandelbrot Set
    +1 Furry Old Lobster
    +1 Future Soon
    +1 Code Monkey
    +1 Baby Got Back

2- Baby Got Back
    3- Better
    4- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    5- Code Monkey
    2- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    2- First of May
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    9- The Future Soon
    2- I Crush Everything
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    1- IKEA
    2- I'm Your Moon
    1- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Monkey
    1- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    5- Shop Vac
    4- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    1- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    3- That Spells DNA
    1- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View

Mandelbrot Set- If nothing else, 1 thing that people here will remember about me is that I am a complete and total math nerd. The first time I heard this song, I had an orgasm (Not really, but you get the idea)

Furry Old Lobster- I dunno, I just love this song. I can't help but sing along with it when I hear it

Future Soon- Same as above

Code Monkey- Same as above

Baby Got Back- Same as above, but it's also absolutely hysterical. This is usually the song I have my friends listen to when I introduce them to JoCo (Which I do a lot of, mostly because I'm trying to get them all to Demand him at Eventful, so I can see him perform live).
  • I... didn't want the idea.

;)
  • Lady Aberlin's Muumuu
    Skullcrusher Mountain
    Code Monkey
    Just As Long As Me
    Re: Your Brains

2- Baby Got Back
    3- Better
    4- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    6- Code Monkey
    2- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    2- First of May
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    9- The Future Soon
    2- I Crush Everything
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    1- IKEA
    2- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    1- Lady Aberline's Muumuu
    1- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Monkey
    1- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    5- Re: Your Brains
    5- Shop Vac
    5- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    1- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    3- That Spells DNA
    1- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View

Lady Aberlin's Muumuu - I know it's brand new, but I just can't get it out of my head. This song is brilliant, it's evocative of a wonderful happy world where children's TV exists but which is inaccessible through any other means. Everything conspires to make this gorgeous tone, it's just amazing. The major problem is that it doesn't last longer!

Skullcrusher Mountain - Side-splittingly funny, particularly verse two. I've started spontaneously singing bits of this one in practice sessions for my office band when people are stalemating over what to practise next.

Code Monkey - Fortunately my job isn't as bad as that, but it could be and I know it to my bones. I have considered a few alternative choruses though, since we don't really do Fritos, Mountain Dew and Tab in the UK.

Just As Long As Me - The story of my love life with a catchy chorus.

Re: Your Brains - Another side-splitting song which just gets better the more words you learn. 'Meanwhile I'll report back to my colleagues who are chewing on the doors' - genius.
  • Dr. Perry Cox, I think you'll have use for this neologism. A quote from one friend of mine to another:

"Oh, my god. You have mathterglow!"
  • In music, we have the term chordgasm (usually reserved for particualrly poignant harmony).
  • @Colleenky: Is there a term for that chord progression that makes you cry prit near every time you hear a particular song, even if you absolutely hate the song? (Country music writers are particularly good at these, though I am by no means saying I hate all country songs. On any given board, I'm one of the maybe 1 1/2 people on it who like country ... if we're talking the old stuff that I loathed as a child, like George and Merle.)
  • @Blimex: That is incredible, thank you for that. Topped off an already great day.
  • Shop Vac
    Skullcrusher Mountain
    Big Bad World, One
    Madelaine
    I Crush Everything

2- Baby Got Back
    3- Better
    5- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    6- Code Monkey
    2- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    2- First of May
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    9- The Future Soon
    3- I Crush Everything
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    1- IKEA
    2- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    2- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Monkey
    1- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    6- Shop Vac
    6- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    1- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    3- That Spells DNA
    1- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View

i think those numbers are accurate. hard to tell within the tiny post window.

madelaine wins at life because of the first two lines:
    if it doesn't kill you, it'll make you stronger / but if it kills you, you'll be dead
  • Baby Got Back
    Octopus
    I'm Your Moon
    I Crush Everything
    The Future Soon

3- Baby Got Back
    3- Better
    5- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    6- Code Monkey
    2- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    2- First of May
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    10- The Future Soon
    4- I Crush Everything
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    1- IKEA
    3- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    2- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Monkey
    2- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    6- Shop Vac
    6- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    1- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    3- That Spells DNA
    1- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View

Baby Got Back - This cover is single handedly responsible for reviving my love of the song. My bf LOVES the original and will start singing it at the slightest provocation. So after three or four years of enduring that, I never wanted to hear the song again. Now, thanks to JoCo, I can be heard singing it under my voice just as often as he can.

Octopus & I Crush Everything - I heart cephalopods, enough said.

I'm Your Moon - I'm a huge sucker for a really sweet song, and this one is high on my list of ones that make me melt every time I hear it.

The Future Soon - That was me in high school. Now I would just give anything for bionic eyes.
  • Bumping this thread. If you're new to the forum, please add your favorite songs to the list!
  • Well, I can narrow it down to my favorite 10...still working on the top 5! :D
  • edited March 2008
    Ooh, picking just 5 is tough!

Skullcrusher Mountain - People never seem to take the time to consider things from the evil genius' point of view, do they?
    I'm Your Moon - I just love the subject matter chosen for this one. Plus it's a great love song.
    My Beige Bear - A song about his daughters bear? I can relate to that.
    Baby Got Back - It's so classy you sometimes find yourself forgetting just what the lyrics are about.
    Ikea - It all began with a god named Thor!

4- Baby Got Back
    3- Better
    5- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    6- Code Monkey
    2- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    2- First of May
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    10- The Future Soon
    4- I Crush Everything
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    2- IKEA
    4- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    2- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Monkey
    2- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    6- Shop Vac
    7- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    1- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    3- That Spells DNA
    1- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View
    1 - My Beige Bear
  • BryBry
    edited March 2008
    I remember the old days, when a thread could go unpostedin for two days (or even more, would you believe) and still be on the front page.

(That is: Bump!)

Edited: For those new to the thread --
    *your five songs*
    *updated list of songs (including your five)*
    *reason(s) for liking one or more of those songs*

e.g.

+1 A
    +1 D

3 - A
    2 - B
    1 - C
    1 - D

I like D because it's catchy.
  • A lot of the songs are brilliant, it is very hard to narrow down. I'm afraid when forced to narrow it down, it's the hits. What can I say, I'm a sucker. But I almost added in Over There and Flickr just to get them on the list.

+1 The Future Soon - I almost cry every concert when he starts this up. I think the music is beautiful.
    +1 Skullcrusher Mountain - Just Friggin Brilliant.
    +1 Re:Your Brains - Ditto.
    +1 First of May - I laughed so hard the first time I heard this, and I can't let not be on the list.
    +1 Code Monkey - Again, just brilliant. Spiff's video didn't hurt, either.

4- Baby Got Back
    3- Better
    5- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    7- Code Monkey
    2- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    3- First of May
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    11- The Future Soon
    4- I Crush Everything
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    2- IKEA
    4- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    2- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Monkey
    2- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    6- Re: Your Brains
    6- Shop Vac
    8- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    1- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    3- That Spells DNA
    1- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View
    1 - My Beige Bear
  • +1 Still Alive (GLaDOS) - I just love this song, it's brilliant, so funny.
    +1 Code Monkey - My absolute favourite, it's pure awesomeness, the best 3 minutes and 9 seconds ever to spend your time on.
    +1 Ikea - Just awesome.
    +1 Tom Cruise Crazy - Ditto.
    +1 First of May - "Fucking" amazing.

4- Baby Got Back
    3- Better
    5- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    8- Code Monkey
    2- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    4- First of May
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    11- The Future Soon
    4- I Crush Everything
    3- I Feel Fantastic
    3- IKEA
    4- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    2- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Monkey
    2- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    6- Re: Your Brains
    6- Shop Vac
    8- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    2- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    3- That Spells DNA
    1- Tom Cruise Crazy
    1- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View
    1 - My Beige Bear
  • I like most of his songs that aren't vocal mashups or text-to-voice songs or excerpts. No, I don't care that you want to be a rock and roll boy.
  • edited May 2008
    +1 I Feel Fantastic - Just such a very, very catchy song
    +1 First of May - Awesome to go out singing
    +1 Re: Your Brains - First song I ever heard from JoCo, and just in love with it
    +1 CODE MONKEY - SECOND song heard from him, and it always makes me feel good, for whatever reason
    +1 Skullcrusher Mountain - Catchy. And supercool.

4- Baby Got Back
    3- Better
    5- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    9- Code Monkey
    2- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    5- First of May
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    11- The Future Soon
    4- I Crush Everything
    4- I Feel Fantastic
    3- IKEA
    4- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    2- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Monkey
    2- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    7- Re: Your Brains
    6- Shop Vac
    9- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    2- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    3- That Spells DNA
    1- Tom Cruise Crazy
    1- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View
    1 - My Beige Bear
  • +1 First of May - Fucking outside. Whats not to love?
    +1 Skullcrusher Mountain - Love the evil genius in the love story.
    +1 When You Go - Love the A capella.
    +1 Betty and Me - The story is hilarious and I dig the banjo.
    +1 Im Your Moon - Because poor Pluto :(

4- Baby Got Back
    3- Better
    1- Betty and Me
    5- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    9- Code Monkey
    2- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    6- First of May
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    11- The Future Soon
    4- I Crush Everything
    4- I Feel Fantastic
    3- IKEA
    5- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    2- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Monkey
    2- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    6- Shop Vac
    10- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    2- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    3- That Spells DNA
    1- Tom Cruise Crazy
    2- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View
    1 - My Beige Bear
  • No scores to add, but I thought I'd put the list in rank order, alphabetically within each rank. (I think it was alphabetic anyway, but My Beige Bear was out)

11- The Future Soon
    10- Skullcrusher Mountain
    9- Code Monkey
    6- First of May
    6- Shop Vac
    5- Big Bad World One
    5- I'm Your Moon
    4- Baby Got Back
    4- I Crush Everything
    4- I Feel Fantastic
    3- Better