JoCo's set lists, on the cruise! (now, with video and set lists)

edited March 2014 in JoCo Gigs
For the historical record (and the benefit of us non-cruisers), could some kind Sea Monkey please provide the set list from Jonathan's show (or shows, if there was more than one)?

Also is there video/audio?  It sounds like some shows were not allowed to be recorded.  I assume Jonathan allowed recording as usual, but not certain...

EDIT: 

Both full shows have been posted to YouTube.  Thank you, @MJPM !

First show video
Second show video

First Show set list (Picture below by Angelastic):

I'm a Mason Now
Code Monkey
Sticking it to Myself
Big Bad World One
Want You Gone
Curl
Nemeses
Shop Vac
Brand New Sucker
Glasses
Still Alive
Overhead
Je Suis Rick Springfield
Mandelbrot Set
Re: Your Brains
I Feel Fantastic

Second show set list (thanks, Simalot):

Pizza Day
The Future Soon
Kennesaw Mountain Landis
Millionaire Girlfriend
Birdhouse in Your Soul - with Paul & Storm
Creepy Doll - with Paul & Storm
I Crush Everything
IKEA
Skullcrusher Mountain - sung by Drew Westphal (Scarface)
Now I Am an Arsonist - with Sara Watkins
Seven Bridges Road - with Sara Watkins and Paul & Storm
You Ruined Everything
A Talk with George
The Week Between - with John Roderick
First of May - with Pamplemousse
Jet - sung by Jim Boggia with Paul & Storm
Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) - sung by David Rees
Sloop John B - everyone

Comments

• I wasn't taking notes for once, but Jonathan played two shows, and I saw a lot of AV at both (all but a couple of performers allowed recordings). I expect once everyone recovers, we'll start seeing some video.

He played some deeper cuts at the first show -- my cabinmate hadn't really heard any JoCo songs (I am a bad evangelist), so his first non-Portal exposure to the JoCoeuvre included I'm a Mason Now and Overhead, which is a fun place to start.
  • edited March 2014
    My favourite part of that show was realising that Overhead must be one of my favourite JoCo songs, because I knew all the words despite not having listened to it in years.

Edit: Sorry @Jmonkee, I am absolutely the worst person to ask for setlists. I neither take notes nor record.
  • BryBry
    edited March 2014
    I admit I was a little disappointed to find I was the only one singing along with "Overhead" in the little cluster of people where I was standing :)

(On a personal note, I was reminded during frantic open-mic prep that the piece I ended up reading was probably definitely "inspired by" the uses of "overhead"/"over head" in the chorus. Fortunately my license covers derivative works.)
  • Did he play those by request?  If not, I wonder what inspired it.  Seems like he doesn't usually play many rarities like that.

On a somewhat related note, did he mention anything about future plans, musically speaking?  It's been a couple years since he toured last, and two and a half since Artificial Heart.  I'm wondering when (if) we'll see him out on the road again, or putting out new music!

• BryBry
    edited March 2014
    I don't know if he said anything explicitly about why he played them (he did intro "Pizza Day" by saying he was playing it because he was getting doggedly badgered for it over Twitter), but I believe he said something to the effect that if he was going to play deep cuts for any audience, this was the one that made the most sense, since Sea Monkeys presumably knew his music that well.

Likewise, I don't know about any future plans. Maybe someone else heard something?
  • I sang along to Overhead! I was elated that he played so many older songs, and I sang along with everything (except Je Suis Rick Springfield, because my french is the worst).

sorry I also cannot supply a set list. :( Worst case scenario, we can grab it from the videos once they're ready.
  • I was going to reply that he said something about touring this year, but I suspect I'm getting confused with Pomplamoose, who definitely said that.

In the intro to the opening concert JoCo explained why he was playing deep cuts—when the recordings come out we can confirm. (: I seem to recall it being something about not wanting to play the same set all the time since this audience was likely to have seen the band show before, and since he didn't have any new material he mined old stuff. He also mentioned at some point (possibly not on stage) that while learning the new (old) songs, Christian and Adam asked him why they were playing these, since "you have GOOD songs!"

Regarding sets, I do recall that the first concert included Curl and Je Suis Rick Springfield, at some point Sara Watkins sang Want You Gone, and the closing show included The Week Between, Creepy Doll, and of course Sloop John B.
  • The way I remember it, he said on stage that Christian and Adam had expressed surprise at how good his old songs were, followed by something along the lines of, "Yeah, guys, that's why I gave you a thumb drive with all of my old stuff on it, glad you listened to it."
  • I grabbed the set list off the stage after the first JoCo show, but since I have so many at home, I turned around and offered it to someone else, who took it. That might have been Bryan Silverstein? Sara Watkins duet was in the last show, as I recall. I asked Jonathan about touring this year, and he said he hopes to. He is working on new songs. 
  • I absolutely fell apart during the Sara Watkins duet during the last show. Never thought I'd get to hear Now I Am An Arsonist live. It's far and away my favorite song from Artificial Heart!
  • edited March 2014
    I was so excited when I saw this setlist for the first show. Leading with I'm a Mason Now! And Overhead! Overhead! I can't find the proper way of getting the image URL from flickr any more, so I hope this works:

WYG is Want You Gone (not When You Go) Brand New is Brand New Sucker (not a brand new song) and Overhead and Mason are what you'd expect them to be.

I sang along to Overheard! And I wondered if @Bry's open mic piece (which was great, by the way! I was too busy wishing I'd written it to say so) was inspired by it.

You swing towels over heads, as you go by.
    You sing about warm bread, and still I wonder why.

I asked him whether he'd be touring the UK this year, and he said there were no definite plans, and he'd been/was planning to(?) spend more time focusing on writing new music. So yay! And a little boo. But tours are for people who can get to them, and new music is for everybody. So mostly yay!

Now I Am an Arsonist actually debuted live, on JCCC1, but it didn't have Sara Watkins that time.

ETA: I remember it happening the way @stevendj said. And while I don't think the deep cuts were specific requests, I think I remember (though I can't find the forum thread; who do I look like, @Bry?) @Molly23 a few years ago requesting, and requesting us to request, I'm a Mason Now, or maybe it was Brand New Sucker, and she might have more influence (or more opportunities to influence) than others, so that could have had something to do with the choice of songs.
  • Thanks all for the info (especially Angelastic, for the picture).  I've updated the first post in this thread with the first show setlist.  I guess I'll add the second one, as soon as we have that.  Is updating the wiki still a thing?  If so, someone should add this there, I suppose...

Were these all played with the band, by the way?  Was there one band show, and one solo?

Also:  Brand New Sucker!  He's never played that before, has he?  Bry also mentioned Pizza Day, which must have been the second show.  Another one never played before. 

• I think updating the wiki is still a thing. Is running @BenS's bot to add lists of performances to the song pages on the wiki still a thing?

The first show was all with the band; the second one started out acoustic and either solo or collaborating with other performers, but ended up with the band. Pizza Day was the first song in that concert.

When I saw the setlist, I wasn't sure if he'd even played Brand New Sucker, I'm a Mason Now or Overhead
    before, but it looks like I'm a Mason Now and Overhead were both played in 2009, and according to the wiki Brand New Sucker had never been played live.
  • Although it wasn't recorded, is there a set list for the concert in which JoCo and Sara Watkins teamed up for "Now I Am an Arsonist" (that I read about on another thread)? Also, did she only sing at that concert, or did she fiddle too?
  • @Madeleine, although Sara Watkins's own set wasn't recorded, her guest appearance on "...Arsonist" was part of JoCo's second concert ("Jonathan Coulton and Friends", on Day 6), at which recordings were permitted. Keep an eye on the AV listing, I guess?
  • Double-posting to say: @Madeleine and others, if you haven't found it already, @MJPM's posted the full second concert to YouTube -- here's a direct link to "...Arsonist," which is lovely.
  • Yes! It really is. There is something so magical in a woman and man singing in their respective lowest/highest registers.

But "Seven Bridges Road" with its four-part, close bluegrass harmony - WOW. That is crazy hard to put together. Kudos to them!
  • I think 7 Bridges was my favorite song the entire week, and I'd somehow never heard it before. I teared up during that. Awesome.
  • @CamannWordsmith I just posted a link on the "Entertainer Wishlist" thread for a band called Fairbanks. Especially since you liked "7 Bridges Road," you should check them out.
  • Thank you, @madeleine! I like this quite a bit :) 
  • edited March 2014
    I'm pretty sure this is the complete set list to the closing show.(I didn't note which songs Adam and Christian played on):

Pizza Day
    The Future Soon
    Kennesaw Mountain Landis
    Millionaire Girlfriend
    Birdhouse in Your Soul - with Paul & Storm
    Creepy Doll - with Paul & Storm
    I Crush Everything
    IKEA
    Skullcrusher Mountain - sung by Drew Westphal (Scarface)
    Now I Am an Arsonist - with Sara Watkins
    Seven Bridges Road - with Sara Watkins and Paul & Storm
    You Ruined Everything
    A Talk with George
    The Week Between - with John Roderick
    First of May - with Pamplemousse
    Jet - sung by Jim Boggia with Paul & Storm
    Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) - sung by David Rees
    Sloop John B - everyone

• edited March 2014
    Thank you, everyone!  I have updated the first post in this thread, to consolidate all the information in an easy to find format. 
  • That's Drew Westphal (Scarphace) ;)
  • Indeed.  Fixed!