Code Monkey Save World

edited April 2013 in Everything Else
So... this looks interesting.

Comments

• So it's like 80% funded already. I'mma go out on a limb and say that this thing is going to happen.
  • Yeah. The guy who can sell 700 berths on a cruise ship and 1000 $100 box sets of an album can probably manage a $39 000 kickstarter. :)
  • The folks doing the Kickstarter seem very diligent. As for their output...? We'll see. ;-)
  • Brand new JoCo song as one of the rewards? This looks VERY interesting...
  • Well, looks like they'll need to come up with stretch goals in a hurry.
  • How many hundred thousand do we think they'll get to?
  • I wish there was a level where I could just get the Digital Copy and the Code Monkey Statue :-)
  • Yeah, some of us already own all of Jonathan Coulton's songs several times over. :-)

It'd be nice if there were levels with various combinations of mug, shirt, statue, ad, etc, but then it would be a PledgeMusic thing rather than a Kickstarter thing. :)
  • I guess there will be some Greg Pak fans that don't have much Coulton music, but I would think that even casual fans would have the majority of the songs that will be on the soundtrack. It looks to be similar to the Greatest Hit (Plus Thirteen Other Songs) compilation that was released with the Humble Music Bundle last year. Maybe there will be a bazillion dollar stretch goal that would be a Code Monkey Save World EP of new music. I'm not holding my breath.

Overall, though, my complaints are minor, compared to how much I approve of this project!
  • Because it's so well funded already, the book will now be longer, and there are more advertising spots available, and more bit characters to have yourself drawn as (though they already seem to be gone) and stickers for everyone who ordered the physical book, and a new mug+T-shirt level (which, for non-US people, costs $43 more than the T-shirt only level… hmm… how much do I want that mug?) Yay!
  • I'll admit, I'm more excited than I should be that I will now be getting **stickers** with my order. Still mulling over  whether to spring for the mug. . .
  • Don't miss this interview about the project, with Jonathan and the gang.
  • #AllOfMyMoney
  • Holy Monkeys! New update with the promise of posters now and new recordings of beloved songs at $200k.  This thing just keeps getting better.
  • I guess if we can't get more new music then new recording will have to suffice. 
  • edited April 2013
    We did get One Christmas At A Time, Redshirt, and soon we'll have a new song inspired by Code Monkey Save World. It's been a decent haul compared to between Thing A Week and Artificial Heart.
  • RE the update that went out today on the new project. I would SO RATHER have funded a Princess Who Saved Herself book than this Code Monkey Saves the World. I don't know if JoCo is aware, but it's somewhat of a hit among certain feminist types and would be a good gift for kids, too. Anyway, I want it to happen more so than Code Monkey and soon enough to be available for Christmas 2013. Anyone else with me?
  • We just signed on for the $500 stretch to get Princess Who Saved Herself with my daughter drawn into it.  Frivolous?  Possibly! But seriously awesome.  She loves that song!!
  • edited May 2013
    I'm sure it's just me, but I find it ironic that the comic is being called "Code Monkey Save World." I have always imagined that the code monkey in the song was so distracted by the receptionist that he would code the login page for the nuclear reactor incorrectly and blow up the world....
  • Code Monkey very diligent. 
  • I want Princess Who Saved Herself merch. Seriously.
  • edited May 2013
    I want August to come already...
  • That is seriously awesome, @SapphireMind! I wonder if the actual princess will look like JoCo's princess-obsessed daughter.

Next up: the Princess Who Saved The World (hey, maybe she's the receptionist, and Code Monkey's Prince Phillip, and she stopped anyone unauthorised from getting to the reactor.) I'm also pretty excited about the Princess Who Saved Herself book; that's a great song and it's perfect for a book, even if they just keep the original lyrics and add pictures.
  • ...or maybe Code Monkey saves the world from his own software bug. ;-)
  • edited May 2013

@robogonzo we don't know whether code monkey's a reliable narrator, though...

ETA:

Man, it would be great if the newscaster from Good Morning Tucson had a background cameo

• I feel like Code Monkey probably wouldn't be Prince Philip unless he had just been reading a really bad self-help book or something.

So, it looks like this will make all the stretch goals unless the backers have just completely dried up. I upgraded to the signed copy, because this is obviously a big deal now and having a signed copy of it will mean I am cool(?).
  • This looks amazingly awesome, but sadly I can't back it because they don't support Paypal. Damn you, (American) Kickstarter. :( Oh well... I'm hoping I can mooch the digital perks off Angela or someone else! :D
  • edited May 2013
    I will neither confirm nor deny that people can mooch digital perks off me until the Kickstarter closes... in 33 minutes! :o Hurry, guys! Give JoCo and GrePa all of your money, before it's too late!

ETA: Can you not get an Amazon account, @dantes?
  • edited May 2013
    I have an Amazon account, but no credit card to pay with. Previously used my parents', then I had an online prepaid one for a year, but I stopped using it recently because it's about to expire and I don't want to renew it since I shouldn't spend a lot online anyhow. :) I can still use Paypal (and Maestro for the UK Amazon), but of course there are still some websites like the American Amazon/Kickstarter that only accept credit cards...
  • Oh yeah. Goin' to the recordin' session. I figure that's like goin' on the cruise 'cept for I won't be facin' man-eatin' sharks, engine fires, or Legionellosis. Oh yeah.
  • Not to be rude and a downer, but I am going to be.

Isn't anyone just a little bit sick of "Code Monkey"
    As a concept? I mean, for the love of God, the song
    Came out in like, 2006, didn't it?

I mean, I know that "conventional" "commercial" songwriters
    Can aim for a "hit" and then just live off the royalties ad
    Infinitum, but I don't know how good that really is for them
    As an artist. I think it's great that people are embracing the
    Comic novella thing for JoCo, but I don't want it to lull him
    Into some kind of creative drift with respect to his music/songwriting. I mean sure, milk it for all it's worth,
    But if fans are going to support independent artists they
    Should also be sure to hold their creative feet to the fire.
    Absent a label to do this, doesn't it kind of fall back on us?
    As supporters of independent artists and the music that
    They make, I don't think we should hesitate to be discriminating
    And even perhaps somewhat demanding with what we expect
    Of them. In the long run, they can only benefit, I think, and so
    Will we.

Okay, who disagrees? : )
  • edited June 2013
    I'm not a big fan of starting off criticism with things like "not to be rude, but" or "not to be mean, but." It makes it way to easy to just bypass the work of finding a constructive, polite way of offering criticism by having "well I wasn't doing it to be rude" as an out.

I also don't agree with the idea that Jonathan has lulled himself into some kind of creative drift by doing a Code Monkey comic. His latest albums have diverged greatly from the overtly geeky world of spaceships and zombies and code monkeys. He has also already stepped way out of his comfort zone musically in the last couple of years by doing things like recording and touring with a full band, and working in the studio with John Flansburgh. (That is maybe more suited to your comment in the summer festival thread, but I'd rather not have the same basic discussion running in two places.)

And, perhaps most vehemently, I disagree with the idea that being a fan of someone gives people a license to hold their feet to the fire, to influence the choices they make (musical or otherwise), or anything else. Having been on the receiving end of that myself, it sucks. It's stifling. It makes it next to impossible to go into the studio and do a good job and trust your own creative impulses when an Internet peanut gallery takes it upon itself to try to second-guess and undermine all your creative choices.

I also think Neil Gaiman's post on fan entitlement should be required reading for everyone who is a fan of anything.
  • edited June 2013
    Pretty much what @villicious stated. Jonathan has not stagnated at all. It only makes sense to use an established staple like Code Monkey for a new medium of art like comics, and its good to finally have Jonathan not only backing the project, but being on board with it and being active in it as well.

But yeah, there's The Aftermath, Artificial Heart, One Christmas at a Time, and even Red Shirt. The songs are still coming, and I for one am enjoying it all.
  • Hey, villicious,

Thanks for your reply and thanks for disagreeing....
    And, vehemently, too! : )

What motivated my comment is the phenomena of crowd
    Sourced projects in general, I guess. This is a relatively
    New way to fund projects among independent artists.
    While the link to Neil Gaiman's article you posted was
    Broken, I believe I was able to find the post to which you refer.
    It seems a fan wrote in posing a question to Neil Gaiman
    On the perceived lack of communication from an author
    Of which he was a fan and also a perceived sluggishness
    In output on the part of said author. To this Neil Gaiman replied
    That the author in question Was not the " bitch" of the fan who posed the question and referred To the need for creative freedom, etc...

This is all well and good, but it did not appear to me that it was
    A crowd sourced project that they were discussing. Once an artist
    Appeals to his or her fan base to front the money for any given
    Project, it changes the nature of their relationship somewhat.
    The artist Is working directly for the supporter and by virtue of the financial support being provided, the artist should have some accountability. I don't know that I would say the artist becomes the "bitch" Of the patron, but in the cases of crowd sourced projects, I believe the artist has an obligation to fulfill what has been promised in Exchange for the financial support.

Since artists are increasingly Turning to their fans to fund creative projects, as fans, let's keep them accountable to the investment we are making in them And encourage the artist, by virtue of our support, to grow and Continue to produce great art rather than recycle old ideas, Procrastinate, or otherwise utilize our financial resources In ways that are less than productive.

I am not an Artist myself. I approach this from the perspective of a fan, one who has been helping fund projects for independent artists for About the past twenty years. Some artists created great stuff and were able to produce for folks in a timely manner. Others seemed to be somewhat filled with empty promises and the results were disappointing.

What is important to remember, though, is that as supporters we do
    Now have some influence over what any given artist produces
    By choosing whether or not to fund certain projects. Rather than being a passive consumer, why not wield that influence in a way that maintains a high standard of output from any given artist?
    To me this approach will be win-win and benefit everyone in the
    Long run...

What do you think?
  • I think using Greg Pak's creative decision to impugn Jonathan Coulton's creative process is pretty lazy critical analysis, that's what I think.
  • I agree with stevendj; when Greg Pak pitched his idea for a comic book featuring supervillain characters from JoCo classics, it wouldn't have made a lot of sense for JoCo to say, 'You know, I love the idea of making a comic book, but I'm kind of sick of all those monkeys, robots, creepy dolls, fancy pants, and other comic-book-style characters I used to write. Come back to me when you have an idea for a comic involving characters from Nobody Loves You Like Me and Today With Your Wife.' 

Besides, when you are branching out into an entirely new medium, doesn't it make sense to use songs that most of your fan base knows? It would be fun to think about which other songs could have comics made of them though. Do you have any ideas? Off the top of my head, maybe Neil Gaiman could do something interesting with Dissolve. (Disclaimer: I haven't read any of Gaiman's graphic novels, but I've heard about them.) Maybe there could even be a comic book in The Lunch Lady. Under the Pines yaoi?

I think it's pretty clear that JoCo isn't sticking to his old, popular themes to make a buck. When Artificial Heart came out, Spiff, a fan who helped launch JoCo's career with his incredibly popular machinima music videos, said that he wasn't going to make more videos because there was nothing in the new album that really inspired him.
  • When you give money to a crowdfunded project, one of the risks you take is that the project will be something you don't like once it's done. That's not really something that needs to be changed about crowdfunding. It's how it works. But, getting an angry  mob of nay-sayers thinking their (probably very small) financial commitment entitles them to some kind of creative input into the project is probably one of the risks creators take on when they crowdfund their work.
  • Further to my second paragraph, I just had an idea for another song that could be made into a comic/picture book or series thereof: My Beige Bear. It doesn't have a built-in story like The Princess Who Saved Herself, Creepy Doll, and Mr. Fancy Pants, but the characters could be used in a whole series of stories; one for each character perhaps, coming to terms with a problem it has (e.g. being too breakable to touch, thinking it's not okay to be happy by herself, making trouble due to being sad) and being comforted by Beige Bear. Wouldn't that be sweet?

Okay, I'm just the ideas girl; who wants to make the books? :D

(As for the crowdfunding thing, indeed, you don't get creative input, except on the whole project level of whether it's funded or not. And if you want to discourage this particular crowdfunding effort because of a perceived lack of creativity, you're too late.)
  • @AmandaDandy: As @villicious, @MJPM, @stevendj, and @Angelastic have all said, JoCo isn't our bitch, he's not a machine, and we don't get to dictate how he spends his days (or direct his creative output) (with apologies to Paul and Storm).

Between this and the festival thread, you're pretty much saying "I don't like what JoCo is doing, and could tell him how to make me happy if only he'd just ask".

Don't forget to eat and bathe while you're waiting by the phone that won't ring.

Creative types are going to do what their respective muses lead them to do. Sometimes it meets with commercial success. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's a play to the fan base (Jimmy Buffet is on record as saying he'd be just fine never playing "Margaritaville" live ever again, but he also knows that the fans give him lots of money to play that song, so he and his band keep coming up with new riffs on it live).

Crowd-funding a creative project, at least the ones I've chosen (and there's a key word: "chosen") to back, carries a little risk to the people doing the funding - sometimes you don't know exactly what you're going to get. Amanda Palmer's mega-huge "Theatre is Evil" Kickstarter was a risk: you don't know what the album is going to sound like when you choose to support, you don't know what the songs will be about, and all you can do is go off the examples of the artist's prior work, then choose a support tier that a) you can hopefully afford, and b) seems like a good value for what you'll get for your money.

Note that NONE of the options there are "influence the creative direction of the project". Even in the Code Monkey Save World reward tiers that involve your image being drawn into the comic, you don't have any influence as to what your likeness will be doing or how that background character will be treated (me, I'd go for a glorious, horribly messy death. That's the most honorable thing that can happen in a Tuckerization). The creative control resides with the writers and artists making the comic.

They're not your bitch, even if you contributed to their Kickstarter, unless they offered (and you half-ponied, half-monkeyed up for) a "We will be your bitch" reward level.

Don't hold your breath waiting on virtually any creative type to offer such a reward tier.

Because then it's no longer their project. It's yours.

This isn't a new thing: more than a few professional, published, do-this-full-time authors I know talk about how often (enough that it's featured prominently in the FAQs on their websites) they get fan mail that is basically a thinly-disguised "offer" to "collaborate" -- "I've got this great idea, I'll give it to you, you write the book, we split the credit and proceeds". Every single one of them -- without exception -- shoot that down. If you've got a great idea for a [book, comic, song, album, musical, videogame] -- develop it yourself! Get it out of another artist's playground, flesh it out, and make it your own. Is it easy? No. But then it's all yours. It may be horrible-yet-wildly-popular (see: "Fifty Shades of Grey"), it may receive critical acclaim and nobody reads it. But it's *your* project.

Ah, but how is this different? Fundamental reversal of the labor: Greg Pak (already an established comic writer) mused that JoCo's song characters would make a great comic. JoCo pretty much double-dog-dared him to do it. And *Greg* did the work: outlined the story, lined up the artist, colorist, and letterer. He didn't tell JoCo he had this great idea that *JoCo* should do, he sought permission for a derivative work and then did the actual work part himself. This isn't unusual since JoCo operates on a Creative Commons license that encourages this sort of thing; see all the music videos and the JoCo adventure game for examples of derivative works already complete.

Which points out another fundamental difference when dealing with JoCo: that CC license. There's an implicit non-commercial use agreement in place. If you make a concert video and put it up on YouTube, that's cool. If you monetize that video, that runs afoul of the non-commercial clause of the CC license. I'm sure, in the case of the comic, that lawyers and contracts and licensing agreements were involved, because it's a commercial entity.

And it hinged on JoCo being amused and intrigued enough by the idea that a known player in the comics world thought he could pull this off, that JoCo said yes. He could have said no, and that would be the end of it. Greg Pak would likely channel that creative impulse in a different direction - it might have involved a put-upon programmer and a mad scientist and their respective love interests, but it wouldn't have been Code Monkey and Skullcrusher; Greg would have created his own universe. Or, he wouldn't, and he'd go on to something else entirely.

But, to get back to the original point: You seem to have a lot of ideas for music. I would suggest that, instead of dictating to an established artist how he should go about his business, you channel that creative energy into your own project and figure out a way to make it happen. Bonus points if you say "Fools! I'll show them all!" and follow through with it.
  • I posted my thoughts in the festival thread. Not sure if it's better suited for this discussion, though. 
  • Thanks for your thoughtful replies, guys. I read them all.
    It is quite clear to me that you are all passionate supporters of Jonathan Coulton's work. Believe it or not, I am too or I wouldn't
    Be posting here. My interest in posting here is in reaching out to other JoCo fans and supporters of quality independent music in general and to say, "hey, as supporters of independent artists we have some pull here. Perhaps this particular project is veering off the path of music making and toward the path of opportunism."
    That is more or less how I see it and that is not going to change.
    When an artist appeals to a fan base for support of a project, and include a forum like this on their website, fans should be allowed, and even encouraged, to discuss and speculate on any given project. It's part of being discriminating about the investment you are making. That is just good consumerism. You want to make sure that your return on investment and the overall outcome is going to be satisfactory to you. It's different from tracking down artists and making special requests for special projects. For me, it's more about being a discriminating consumer. We are all entitled to our opinion and that is mine. : )
  • I disagree that we have much pull on the front end of the creative process. Yeah, I think we are encouraged to discuss and speculate, but don't expect to have any direct influence on what comes next. If I don't like it, I won't buy it. If enough people don't buy it, and yes, complain here on the forum, things might change. Then again, they might not, and that's okay, too. It's his music. 

I'm delighted that I've liked it all, so far. . . well, close enough, anyway.
  • Hey, maletero,

I guess what I was getting at but didn't come right
    Out and say is that we have influence over crowd
    Sourced projects in the beginning stages when we
    Choose whether to fund them or not. Sometimes
    I've chosen to fund an artist's project that I don't
    Particularly like because fundamentally I believe
    In the artist and want to support them. Other
    Times, I've chosen not to fund certain projects
    Because either I didn't like them, didn't feel that
    It was a good use of time/resources or other artists
    I like had more interesting stuff they needed support
    In and my resources are limited. My post is really an
    Appeal to the fan that becomes a supporter by
    Choosing to fund an artist's creative process.
    Before choosing to fund a given project, it should
    Be okay to question and even debate the merits
    Of the project. Fans don't have to choose to
    Fund a project an artist has proposed just because
    They are fans, though some might choose to and that
    Is okay. We aren't JoCo's bitch either.

Frankly, I see the new relationship that is created between
    Artists and fans via crowd sourcing to be exciting. It
    Means that fans can be somewhat empowered and engaged
    With artists in the creative process to the extent that artists are
    Receptive to what fans might like to see/hear them produce.
    I don't see it as being a hierarchical thing where anyone is
    Anyone else's "bitch." I just see there being an opportunity
    For more discussion and engagement to take place in the
    Creative process. That means MORE CREATIVITY.
    Shouldn't that be a good thing?
  • It seems to me that if people didn't want the book, they wouldn't have funded it. There's no need to remind us to only fund things we want to happen. Okay, so maybe some of us (um... yeah, me) would fund anything JoCo did but even without that it looks like it would have been funded, and I can't help being curious about the result of this.

Yes, it veers off the path of music making. But we're well used to that, what with all the fan-made things featuring or inspired by his music, and also things like the Artificial Heart level 4 package, and the cruise (and concerts, for that mattter) which fosters a community of all kinds of creative people even when there's no music playing. I think it's nice that his music can inspire things in so many different fields, and there's no need to restrict him to just doing music or just supporting collaborations that involve music making (which, by the way, this one does. We'll get a new song and a new acoustic album out of this.)

Actually, now I'm a little confused about @AmandaDandy's point. JoCo shouldn't stick with the comfortable old Code Monkey for the sake of money, and should hold his creative feet to the fire and embrace other kinds of songs (and music festivals) that don't necessarily play the geek card, but in all that broadening of horizons, he should not dare veer off the path of music making when an opportunity to be involved in something new and different (because this is something new and different. It's not as if you can feed a song or two into a machine and a graphic novel will come out without any creative input) presents itself? Sure, with their combined fan bases and skills it was pretty much guaranteed to be funded and is pretty much guaranteed to succeed (more so than a comic book about Nobody Loves You Like Me would) but he's still going out of his comfort zone here. Opportunism? Sure! What's wrong with taking opportunities if they seem interesting and will stretch you creatively and give you a chance to learn about a new medium?
  • Hey, Angeltastic,

Thanks for the reply.

Sure, if JoCo wants to do the comic book novella thing,
    Go for it. Particularly since it is an idea that has been so
    Strongly supported by his fans given the overwhelming
    Financial support they have given him for the project, it
    Would seem irrational not to. I didn't support the project,
    Though, and I don't think there is anything wrong with
    Questioning it's merits. My interest in Jonathan Coulton
    Is in his song writing and not his story book making.
    Though there are other artists whose books I have
    Purchased because I actually liked them or just to
    Have them.

I'm not saying, "stop the presses, don't Do the book." I'm just saying that Coulton more or Less lost me on this one. Maybe when he gets back to songwriting, I'll check out what's new because that
    Is what my interest is and in his work that is what appeals
    To me. It should be okay to feel that way and share it
    In a public forum. Other people don't have to agree.
  • edited June 2013
    I sort of get what @AmandaDandy is saying but certainly don't think that the Code Monkey Save World project is in anyway taking away from JoCo's creative energies.   It's kind of like my own opinion about Paul & Storm re:. Captain's Wife's Lament.   I actually Lament having to hear it at EVERY single concert and have it take up 20+ minutes of time during which they could be sharing their other awesome songs with the audience.  I'm really thrilled that we got to hear some new stuff at the concert on Saturday and I think they kept CWL to under 20 minutes this time.   For me (and maybe just me given overwhelming audience response!), that song has long run it's course and I guess I'm just sick of "Argh" as a concept.   I "think" this fits into the point @AmandaDandy brings up a bit better than the comic project (which is AWESOME!).

• I think you'll find a friend in Captain's-Wife's-Early-Bathroom-Break-@Bry, @Oboewan. :) Personally, once the Captain's Wife's Lament starts, I want it to go for as long as possible so the show doesn't have to end, but I'd also like it to start as late as possible.

It's fine if you are not interested in the comic, @AmandaDandy. I'm not going to tell you what to like. It's fine to only be interested in someone's songwriting (though remember, he will write a new song and record a new acoustic album for this book. That may well be more music than he would have recorded if it weren't for this project.) Just as long as you don't expect that he's going to limit himself to only songwriting for the rest of his career. He's going to do things like this every so often, and it's absolutely okay if you are not interested in them, but whether this means it's a bad idea for him to do them is not so clear-cut. Even purely from the perspective of song output, and even if we ignore the fact that this project does have a song output, 'side' projects like this have their merits.

I'd say a songwriter who only ever writes songs is more likely to stagnate and start writing about the same thing in the same way over and over than a songwriter who occasionally branches out into other things, and maybe even spent nine years working in a software job (because even that had its merits.) Creativity needs to be fed, and the things it's fed on don't always look like the things that come out (oh dear; now I'm imagining a cow that poops songs.) Nobody only does one thing. But you can be a fan of just one thing about a person, and that's okay. Just be aware that the other things play a role in the making of that one thing. To continue JoCo's terrible metaphor, you can't have cow poop without the useless by-product known as beef. ;)
  • @AmandaDandy: You're still trying to dictate to JoCo how and what he creates.

It doesn't work that way. At all.

Creators create. Consumers -- people who choose to spend money on that creation -- get to pick and choose from the creator's output, but don't get to dictate what that output is beyond later looking at sales figures and saying "Hey, this thing didn't sell so many, not like this other thing did." Consumers certainly don't get to direct the output before it's output.

Don't like it? Don't buy it. Like it? Buy it. With the current music business model, you don't even have to choose what you want to buy at the album level: you can pick and choose individual songs and ignore the album tracks you don't much care for.
  • @AmandaDandy: If JoCo lost you on this one Kickstarter, and you don't like it, the easiest and best way for you to voice that is not to back it, which you didn't. To then go over to the forum on JoCo's own website after funding has been successful to talk about all the reasons you don't like it is is going to be viewed by people as unconstructive parade-raining. You should not be surprised if you get piled on by people who disagree with you and find your argument off-putting.

This thread plus the other one also make it sound as though JoCo hasn't been producing material lately. It's just over a year and a half since his last solo album, and "One Christmas At a Time" just came out last November. Compare that to the nearly five years that passed between the end of "Thing a Week" and "Artificial Heart." Between those releases were a live album and a compilation. So, his newest material is recent. And his newest material has all broken way out of the mold of nerd rock.

The "Why is JoCo still doing Code Monkey" question is basically the same question as "Why is TMBG still playing songs from Flood?" No matter how many albums TMBG makes, they will still play songs from Flood (and I will still be happy to hear them, even if I'm crazy in love with stuff from whatever the newest  album may be.)
  • edited June 2013
    @Oboewan As I mentioned during one of the panels on JCCC3, one of the things I would hate if I became a successful performer would be having to play the hit(s) again and again ad nauseam. It was great that you reached into Paul and Storm's repertoire and opted to perform a song that they themselves had never performed live!

@Angelastic "Cow that poops songs" is the name of my ______________ cover band. (Go!)

@villicious I think it's fine for @AmandaDandy to have a different point of view. It's not unconstructive, IMHO, to challenge the artists whose work you enjoy to do things you'd like. So long as you are not a B====D about it. ;-)