Christmas Album

2»

Comments

• There's now information on international shipping! And it's actually possible to order it from overseas. Shipping outside the US or Canada costs $10 for the CD (same as to Canada, Alaska or Hawaii) and $50 for the box set (which is $29 for Canada, Alaska and Hawaii), but it might go down. I didn't get an email about the shipping, even though I signed up for one, so that's weird. Actually, I didn't get an email about immediate downloads being available either, and I signed up for that too.

I had been wondering how they could possibly manage such cheap shipping for the Artificial Heart box set. Now I know.
  • edited November 2012
    That's funny, @Angelastic; I got emails for both downloads and international shipping. I ended up buying the $10 download because I wanted to hear the songs immediately, but @Scarface assured me that it's possible to upgrade a purchase if you decide you want the gift box after all now that international shipping is available.

I have, however, been instructed by a third party not to purchase the gift box. Hm.

@Apollo Wiki still needs work but the album is at least roughed out now. Thanks for the reminder!

Edit: Whoops I guess I was thinking of some other email? I get too many emails.
  • Instructed by a third party not to purchase the gift box? Hmm, either they know about the poison in it, or they want to have something you don't have, or they're getting you one.

I wonder how large/heavy the gift box is, and whether it would be more practical to budget return-from-JCCC3 suitcase space for one. Probably not.
  • I'm happy about the international shipping! I had hoped to receive the ugly sweater t-shirt, but I'm not holding my breath for that.
  • edited November 2012
    Illustrator Zack Rock wrote a blog post about OCaaT. You can see his illustrations for the back and front cover of the CD as well.
  • So, I'm going to order the gift box despite the high shipping cost, because I enjoyed the last special box-set thing immensely and I want to know what the surprise goodies are. I noticed that adding an extra shirt does not affect the shipping cost. I only want one shirt, but is there anyone in Europe who just wants a shirt and not the rest of the box set? I could add it to my order and send it to you much more cheaply (it's $15 to add a shirt to the gift box, plus, I don't know, less than that in postage, but you probably wouldn't get to you by Christmas because I am awful at getting around to post things. Actually, why am I even offering to do this? I'm the worst person in the world to relay snail mail! But, well, maybe I'd see people at concerts or something… oh, forget it. If you would like to receive a cheaper-than-usual One Christmas At A Time T-shirt by Christmas 2013, when you're no longer expecting anything in the mail and therefore will be pleasantly surprised, contact me.)
  • For anyone who hasn't purchased the album yet, the song Uncle John is up on Soundcloud.
  • And here is my YouTubed live "Christmas in July", which was fantastic, of course. It contains bonus Roderick on Comb.
  • Premiere of 2600 at Anthem, 11/25/2012.

• Paste Magazine gave the album a 7.5 in their review.
  • edited November 2012
    2600 is featured on the 12/1/12 episode of the Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child podcast.
  • edited November 2012
    Another positive review, via The Yule Blog.
  • edited December 2012
    Christmastime is Wunnerful is featured on this month's Utne Reader Monthly Music Sampler (at #7).

Here's what the folks at the Utne Reader had to say about the album:

"Jonathan Coulton has made a name for himself by writing folk rock songs about geeky subjects and allowing people to freely share the music with one another through Creative Commons. John Roderick is the lead singer and guitarist of the indie band The Long Winters. Neither takes a conventional approach to making music, so it makes perfect sense that their recent collaboration One Christmas at a Time wouldn’t be your conventional Christmas album. But that’s good news, because does the world really need another conventional Christmas album? Perhaps it’s high-time we encourage more of the fun and irreverent takes on Christmas (and Chanukah) that are on this record, which the pair pulled together in a very short period of time. That spontaneity is evident throughout, but gives the album a casual, sing-a-long atmosphere that makes this a welcome addition to the canon of Christmas music. One Christmas at a Time is available now through Jonathan Coulton’s website."
  • Seattle Met gives a positive review in an article covering New Indie Christmas Albums.
  • @skyen I think I agree with you - this one sort of fell flat except for those middle three or four tracks.
    BTW, it's Fin of Something's Wrong in London-Town fame here.
  • I'm not really hearing Sweet Home Alabama but
    I heard this song on the radio the other day and was shocked! 
    At first I thought, Oh wow, they are playing JoCo on the radio!
  • btw...CD's were available at the show for only 10 so I picked one up there along with a vinyl Artificial Heart which everyone signed. 

• Yay! Glad to hear you finally got a vinyl Artificial Heart. :)
  • edited December 2012
    Anyone receive their parcels, yet?

Last mention I saw was this: https://twitter.com/jonathancoulton/status/277646110686863360
  • Just got my shipping notification.  Tracking says Wednesday.
  • Me, too!
  • I took video last night of (most of) Christmastime is Wunnerful at the NYC show:

• @Craig, great job on the beautiful 2600 video, inspiring!
  • My parcel just arrived... I'm posting in that liminal moment between receiving it and opening it, so no spoilers from me yet.
  • Ok, I'm just about to cancel my order for the gift box - all seems a bit pointless now Christmas is here and still no despatch notice. Unless of course someone can convince me otherwise - just what exactly is in the box, and does it warrant me keeping my order open?! I'm not fussy about keeping things a surprise, if those that have the box already can PM me with their box verdict, that would be smashing, thanks!
  • Here's a cover of 2600 by Kyle & Oliver:

• Ok, does anyone have an account to the wiki who can add some lyrics to the Xmas songs?  I've been transcribing some for JoCo Radio, but don't have access to the wiki just yet.  Thanks, and Happy
    Christma-Hanu-Rama-Ka-Dona-Kwanzaa!

One Christmas at a Time:
    One Christmas at a time, baby
    One Christmas at a time, ooh yeah
    One Christmas at a time.

I put all this year's presents on my credit card and I kinda went overboard, but by this time next year my podcast will be earning serious money.

One Christmas at a time.

Every year my brother gets totally trashed and passes out on the couch.  So this year I dusted all the couches with itching powder.

One Christmas at a time.

Look, I couldn't find a single Teddy Ruxpin anywhere.  But they'll still be just as popular next year.  And when I find a stash, I'll buy ten.

One Christmas at a time.

Listen, I know we've only been dating two and a half weeks, but they've been the best two and a half weeks of my life.  And even though you said you want to take it slow, I just feel like, if every Christmas could be this amazing, why wouldn't we get started right away?  Like, I already feel this excited for next Christmas. But anyway, I see from the somewhat ambivalent look on your face that maybe you need a little time to think it over, or something.  So maybe you shouldn't open that really small present just yet.

One Christmas at a time.

One Christmas at a time.

Come on!
    One Christmas at a time.
  • Christmas in Jail:
    Well Daddy can't be there for Christmas
    I'm sure your Momma told you things
    Well first, she never understood me
    But I don't want to talk about that now

But Daddy hates to be away from you at Christmas
    Don't you worry, I'm doing fine inside
    I made you a toothpick Eiffel Tower
    I've got three squares, and I'm making a kind of wine

This punishment is cruel and unusual
    I did my best, but the system said I failed
    Don't lie awake and wonder whether Santa visits me
    There's even Christmas in Jail

Oh I had a stack of presents for you darling
    Though the sherif took 'em down for evidence.
    I don't want to put this burden on you
    But would you have your Mama bring me cigarettes?

You know you're always first in my affection
    With good behavior I'll be out in two
    As far as all that money that went missing
    Well it's not for your mother, it's for you (minus expenses)

Yes Sir

Well the mess hall is serving turkey tetrazzini
    I got my stocking hung up right above the john
    From my little window I can see the starlight
    They're the same old stars that you'll be wishing on

• I was just thinking, One Christmas At A Time is mostly speech, and anyone covering it wouldn't have much room for creativity musically, so would probably want to make up their own speaking bits. Maybe we could try to come up with alternative speaking bits for that song, just for fun, maybe based on our own Christmas experiences.
  • edited December 2012

Christmastime is Wunnerful cover by Daniel Jackson & Peter Garratt:

• John Roderick Performs The Week Between:

• edited December 2012
    At a risk of being controversial, is it just me or does anyone else think the collaboration with John Roderick is going in the wrong direction for Jonathan Coulton? Is it a permanent fixture between them both?

I have to admit, there isn't one song on the Christmas album that I like - I've listened to it a number of times and none of them have yet to grow on me, which worries me a little. I'm a big, big fan of JoCo, I've been to his shows, got the merch, got all the albums and the 'traditional' albums are never off my iPhone, but I'm worried that Roderick has changed him! Changed him for the worse?

I feel the Christmas album is more like John Roderick's album, 'featuring' Jonathan Coulton, and cashing in on the already expanding Coulton fan base. But it doesn't feel catchy, witty or clever like JoCo's normal way of writing.

Maybe it's just a blip. Maybe I'm not being open minded enough, but I'm hoping Coulton goes back to his solo career for his next album. Or maybe I'm afraid of change...!
  • edited December 2012
    @totoro I would say more than anything that John Flansburgh changed JoCo's style. He's been moving away from the more "jokey" songs for a long time, and I know many long-term fans were less than thrilled with the direction of Artificial Heart. I don't think it's likely he'll go back to solo records any time soon, but that has nothing to do with Roderick.

The Christmas album doesn't sound like a John Roderick record either except for "Christmas With You Is the Best" which is a genuine Roderick back-catalog song. "Christmas Is Interesting" on the other hand is a 100% genuine Jonathan Coulton song, written before he ever met Roderick.

Overall in my opinion the record sounds like a bunch of songs that were written and recorded in less than a week. That does impose certain limitations. (:

(Edited for typos)
  • Artists change, and there's nothing anyone could, or should, do about it. If you don't like the new music an artist puts out, well, just don't listen to it. There's really nothing else at stake here, and there's nothing wrong with preferring a certain period of an artist's work.
    There's no such thing as a wrong direction, there are only directions and how each of us feel about them.

Honestly, I don't think JoCo is changing, I think he's becoming more and more able to do what he always wanted to do. The reason early JoCo sounded the way it did is because he was limited by his circumstances. He only had himself and his home studio and whatever instruments he could afford at the time. If he had had Roderick, Flansburg, Scarface, Paul and Storm, studio-space and a full band from the get-go. I can promise you, his "early" music would be a lot more like his current music.

And what's the alternative, really? He'd end up like EA Sports, releasing a new Madden every year, slightly changing the rosters and adding a couple of customization options to the jerseys. I don't know about you, but I could only take so many robot-and-monkey songs before taking my business somewhere else.
  • Much of the "classic" JoCo was influenced by Hodgman, most explicitly the songs originally written for the Little Gray Books lecture series.  Artificial Heart showed more Flansburgh.  I'm sure there's Roderick influence on OCaaT.  In general, it's to be expected that he'll be influenced by his collaborators.
  • @totoro I don't mean to bag on your opinion though! To be completely honest I only like 3 songs on the record, and I do not find most of them to be exemplary songwriting. To me the Christmas album is more like a fun game to play with my friends, rather than an example of any kind of direction JoCo might be taking. The ultimate example of jocoserious, if you will!

@skyen I feel a little differently about JoCo's various influences, which I might elaborate on in a more topical thread. I agree that the solo-acoustic-guitar style was an external limitation on his performances, which is why I don't think he'll give up the band any time soon.
  • edited December 2012
    Sara Silverman's recent quote, "You can't tell art what to do," popped into my head as I was reading some of the comments on this thread. Of course, she was speaking about something entirely different, but I feel like it applies here too.

I've fallen in and out of interest in different artists' work over the years simply because they seemed to be rehashing the same old material over and over again (Tim Burton is a good example of this), so I don't mind JoCo taking a new different direction. I also wouldn't mind if he went "old school" and went back to making an album like the older ones because that's his choice and as a fan I'm just along for the ride. To bring up another Tim Burton analogy/comparison, I've recently watched Frankenweenie and found it to be his best movie in years, and yet it's also most like his older classic films that made me a fan in the first place (yeah, it's a remake, but that could have worked against it).

Also, They Might Be Giants recent album Join Us feels like it has a direct link to the older albums, yet it feels fresh and new. I'm chomping at the bit to hear their next one, and I haven't felt that way about TMBG for a long time, though I've always bought their albums.

I think an artist needs to wander a bit before coming back to doing what he/she does best in order to keep it fresh and exciting. “Not all those who wander are lost.”
  • edited May 2016
    'Tis most definitely not the season, but I went ahead and made a belated video for One Christmas at a Time, using footage from the notorious Star Wars Holiday Special. Hey, at least I was able to publish it on May the 4th.