Tonight you belong to me help?

edited November 2011 in JoCo Tabs
Hey guys, so I am trying to teach myself how to recognize chords/notes by ear but am running into so problems. For this song:

It seems to follow the chords here: http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/tabs/030308-2.html except in the second half of the bridge (Once more just to dream...) where I am not sure what they are playing. Can someone much smarter help me out?

Comments

• edited November 2011
    This song has been stuck in my head since I first saw this and I was forced to learn the song as well (for my sanity, that is). I've just been playing the Boogaloo chord version. Is it just me, or is Hodgeman's uke tuned low? @aliceandstuff, I'll take a look at the bridge again and see if I can help you figure out what's going on.
  • edited November 2011
    I just found this version with John Roderick and Sean Nelson too. :D http://youtu.be/U9wIxO1-gZk
  • edited November 2011
    @thefuzzyslug it does sound low, and the chords that JoCo are playing are not matching the uke chords at all as far as I can tell. I did figure out the intro and what Hodgman is doing during the chorus that differs from the Boogaloo portion that I intend to tab out, but the bridge confounds me.
  •   Bb          Fm      Eb        Ebm
    I know you belong to somebody new
        Bb              F      Bb
    but tonight, you belong to me.
       (repeat)
    Although we're apart, you're a part of my heart

but tonight, you belong to me.
        Ebm
    Way down by the street how sweet it would seem
         Bb                                      C7         F
    once more, just to dream in the moonlight, my honey ...
       Bb  (etc.)
    I know with the dawn that you will be gone

but tonight you belong to me.

[Whistle and repeat]

Ebm
    Way down by the street how sweet it would seem
         Bb                                      C7         F
    once more, just to dream in the moonlight, my honey ...
       Bb  (etc.)
    Jonathan Coulton I know with the dawn that you will be gone

but tonight you belong to me.
        Bb              F      Bb
    Yes tonight you belong to me.
  • edited November 2011
    @aliceandstuff The uke is tuned down one step (F Bb D g) - what @srdownie said, but I find the C-tuning chords easier (my n00b fingers don't want to bend into Ebm). The boogaloo chords are nearly spot on, but Hodgeman does some fancy pants chording in a couple of spots (like going up to G6[7f] on the G for "be[G]long to [C]me"). I see what you mean by the bridge. Now that I'm in the right tuning it should be easier to sort out. Maybe. :)

Please share what you've figured out with the intro fiddly bits.
  • edited November 2011
    Okay so for the intro:

-3-----------0--1--3s5-7-5---3-----0---3s5-7-5-3--------------------
    -0--------3------------------------1--------------------------------
    -0-----0---------------------------0--------------------------------
    -0--0------------------------------2--------------------------------

-3--3s5-7-5---3--5---7---7---3--3----7----10----7---10-------7----3---
    -1-----------------------0------0----7-----7----7----7-------7----0---
    -0-----------------------0------0----7-----7----7----7-------7----0---
    -1-----------------------0------0----7-----7----7----7-------7----0---

I also like adding a slide down the fretboard from the last barred chord to the C. The bit at the end is also what he seems to do every time for the "Tonight You Belong To Me" line instead of the normal C G C pattern from the boogaloo chord chart.
  • @aliceandstuff It looks/sounds like he is doing something like:
    -3-
    -2-
    -0-
    -2-

In place of the [D7]. Everything else sounds the same to me. What do you think?
  • edited December 2011
    This spring, at a bluegrass festival, I found myself playing bass on this song as part of an impromptu quartet. I'd never heard it before, so I just read the chords from the guitarist's left hand and winged it. (They did it in A, which is probably best if you're a beginning guitarist; it's all open chords in that key.) Pretty straightforward, with lots of opportunities to play scales in the bass line as embellishment. The second chord in the verse is I7, by the way, not Vm as shown above.
  • @thefuzzyslug Yep that sounds perfect! I just tuned down my uke and it matches nicely. Now to make sure I can whistle in key...

Do you think this could go up on the JoCo wiki (even though it is hodgman's uke part?) If so I can work on adding it.
  • @aliceandstuff I don't see why not. I mean, Jonathan is half of the duet after all. Also, maybe that will encourage someone to tackle documentation for the guitar portion. :)
  • It looks like JoCo is tuned differently, or he's playing alternate fingerings I don't recognize for the chords. 

• Actually, I'm fairly certain he's tuned down a whole step on the guitar.
  • I've got it all figured out, I think, but I'm more of a musician an less of a computer geek, so I'm not entirely sure how to post it up.
  • @BrobeCagre We used to have a wonderful <pre>-tag that'd help us deal with tabs and such, but I don't think that works anymore... Possibly just post it as regular old text with the Courier New-font. I think most of us can figure it out :)
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, in the video at the top of this thread both instruments are tuned down a whole step. When JoCo plays a C chord on the guitar it sounds as a Bb.

Here's a performance in which Hodgman and Coulton are not tuned down; it might be easier to follow. (Hodgman also comes up with an amusing nickname for John Roderick.)

• edited December 2011

JoCo does a sort of bass line in the guitar:

BbM  BbM/F  BbM  BbM/F

The verses go like this:

BbM        Bb7     EbM       Ebm   

I know you belong to somebody new 

BbM         FM      

but tonight you belong to 

BbM   BbM/F   BbM   BbM/F

me

Chorus:

Ebm

Way down...

BbM                           CM

Once more just to dream in the moonlight

And the ending goes like this:

BbM       FM      EbM       BbM

Yes, tonight you belong to me . . .

(It's not complete because I had way too many characters so it wouldn't let me post in its entirety.)

• I don't know how relevant this is, but I just saw Spring Breakup and Susie Asado playing this song on uke and banjo. Would my video of that be of interest?
  • I don't see why not. You've certainly piqued my curiosity.

• edited December 2011
    Well, then, here you go (without Susie Asado, in fact. They played some songs together, but not this one.) There is an 'amazing ukulele solo' which is different from what JoCo and JoHo do. Also, here's the performance from the cruise.
  • edited December 2011
    When we performed the song at the bluegrass festival, we had a mandolin solo, which I think actually worked a bit better than a uke solo. Or a kazoo solo, for that matter.
  • Was that a kazoo John Roderick was playing? I wrote kazoo at first, but on closer inspection, I think it's a piece of paper. I know I'm not that knowledgeable about instruments but not being sure about the difference between a kazoo and a piece of paper is a new low. :/
  • edited December 2011
    It's both. It's easy to improvise a kazoo using a sheet of good quality typing paper. Some folks use waxed paper or tissue paper with a comb inside.
  • Oh! I've heard of people playing comb and paper, but I didn't realise that was actually classified as a kazoo.