Favorite Song Tourney Matchup #21 DSJD vs. The Future Soon

edited February 2009 in Forum Games
Back to the first tier matchups. Both these songs had first round byes so they've only had one match before this.
Dance, Soterios Johnson, Dance beat Ikea.
The Future Soon beat Skullcrusher Mountain.
Now it's time for them to go head to head.
Favorite Song Tourney Matchup #21 Dance, Soterios Johnson, Dance vs. The Future Soon
As it's first tier we will return to the 3 days of discussion and 7 days of voting.

eta
I am calling this one for The Future Soon. 29 to 6 over Dance, Soterios Johnson, Dance

Comments

• Why did you have to do this to me?
  • You should check out the brackets and see the other matchups coming up.
  • *cries* That's just MEAN.
  • edited February 2009
    Thanks for bringing back the easy ones, Rob. DSJD is pretty infectious, but TFS is iconic. Catchy tune? Check. Unrequited geek love? Check. Cyborgs? Check. Dark, somewhat creepy undertone? Check. It's not my personal favoritest JoCo song, but I think it's the quintessential JoCo song.
  • I'm surprised that there are people people who are agonizing over this one, really, as I'd assumed TFS would win easily.

More than likely, though, my vote will go to D,SJ,D.
  • The Future Soon! I've already explained what I don't like about Dance, Soterios Johnson, Dance.
  • I do not like DSJD.
    (There, I said it.)
  • edited February 2009
    And I shall say that I LOVE DSJD. Face it, Cov and Angelastic, we're just not meant to sit around the same table ;-) I really like both*, but in this round my choice is clear.

* ETA: Songs and forumites.
  • DSJD is a decent song, but lyrically, it means nothing to me. The Future Soon is one of JoCo's best.
  • edited February 2009
    The Future Soon: hands down!
  • I do not like Dee Ess Jay Dee...
    Would I, Could I in a tree??

;' )

(And do what makes me feel happ-ee !)

;' ))
  • If you were already implying the Dr. Seuss reference in your first message, I already caught it (which I am happy about, because I don't usually recognise the tunes you write things to.)

I do not like DSJD,
    I do not like it, Cov is Me.
    I do not like it at a gig
    I do not like it with a pig
    I would not, could not, up against a door,
    I could not, would not, on my parents' floor

oops, did I just switch themes? ;')
  • But it is the only techo-dance-keybordspecialeffect-song that JoCo has.

Not to mention the genius smashing expectations.
  • What's so great about the genius smashing expectations? People keep mentioning that. Is there some cleverness about that line that I'm not spotting due to a missing cultural reference or something?
  • But it is the only techo-dance-keybordspecialeffect-song that JoCo has.
    Errrmmm... Mr Fancy Pants live!?
    Not to mention the genius smashing expectations.
    Yeah... Thats nonsense though isn't it??
  • DSJD is a decent song, but lyrically, it means nothing to me. The Future Soon is one of JoCo's best.
    I would like to turn your attention to my analysis of the lyrics, then. I believe Angelastic said that it made her understand the song more. Perhaps it will do the same for you. (On a side note, I really want to do another one of those, but I've had so much stuff to do lately... Maybe during Spring Break... maybe).

That said, I love TFS and will be voting for it.
  • @Angelastic - it's just a beautiful, inspirational, powerful image.
  • I happen to think that commanding the robot army in the inevitable Robot Wars is a beautiful, inspirational, powerful image. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to. ;-)
  • Hehehe me too, but then I'm currently in the middle of commanding my robot army to create a (questionably) beautiful, PowerPCful song.
  • On an aside.. does anyone, know ANYONE, who does actually say poTAHto ??
    ;' )
  • No, but I have a friend who insists that there is a distinction between to-may-toes and to-mah-toes. He's mostly joking about it these days. Mostly.
  • I really like both of these songs, but I prefer DSJD. That song is hilarious is you understand the lyrics, it's fun and it's catchy. You know, maybe I would like The Future Soon more if it didn't have THAT GODDAMN BEEPING SOUND IN THE BACKGROUND! But I digress...
  • Am I the only one who only really noticed the beeping the first couple of times they listened to it? Seriously, it was a bit odd at first, but I can completely ignore it now
  • I think I've always noticed the beeping, but it doesn't bug me. (You know what bugs me to point of being almost unlistenable? The spoons in The Presidents. Now *that's* grating.)
  • ... I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about... Guess I've just never noticed it.
  • Two words: Demo Version.
  • edited February 2009
    A little bit of a difficult choice to make, but after thinking a bit I'd definitely have to say I like The Future Soon a bit more than DSJD. DSJD is a good song, but The Future Soon has a bit more meaning for me personally and seems just a bit twisted to me (which I can appreciate).

Also - I have noticed the beeping before, but only towards the end of the song. Does the beeping noise continue through-out the entire song? And I've never noticed the spoons in The Presidents (revised: I listened to the song again and I know what you're talking about ::P). I like it, though because it helps me remember some of the presidents and what they did. It came in handy a couple times in my American History class.
  • I have noticed the beeping before, but only towards the end of the song. Does the beeping noise continue through-out the entire song?
    Listen closer. The Beeping is only at the end of the song.
  • I've never noticed the beeping (or the spoons, really), and "The Future Soon" really should appeal to me...I've been in the situation (the genders were swapped, though--my "Laura" was named Rob), and the utter geekiness of it it just too perfect. But then again, DSJD is so damn catchy and the visuals are fantastic...
  • I think maybe Cov should terminate all his thoughts of negativity? ;)

Not that I like DSJD better than The Future Soon, but I certainly find it likeable. De gustibus and all that, and I don't mean to make people who don't like DSJD defend their opinions, but I wonder if there's anything you guys find enjoyable about the song at all, or if there's anything in particular you dislike? Or is it just a song you don't particularly fancy?
  • My problem with DSJD has a bit to do with the mix, which feels a bit flat, and the content of the song, really. I get that Soterios Johnson is a radio broadcaster from the NY area, that the thought of him as a club raver is in stark contrast to who he really is, and it was a project about dual lives. It's just not of great interest to me. I give it 4 stars on my iPod because despite all of that, it's still a fairly catchy and enjoyable song that I rather like. But against a song as funny and poignant as TFS, it just doesn't stand a chance.
  • I love DSJD. A lot. But I'm going to have to go with TFS for the same reason I went with "Code Monkey" against "Re: Your Brains": The majority of comments I get on my TFS video are from people who say, "oh man, that video is just like my [pathetic, angsty, teenage] life" (except they don't say the "pathetic, angsty, teenage" part).

One of the things that bumps a song up from being "good" to being "great", IMO, is when the song hits a special, secret nerve that makes you feel the song is real, that it's about something you actually feel and experience in your everyday life, regardless of what's actually going on in the lyrics. "The Future Soon" does that, I think.
  • I would not, could not, up against a door,
    I could not, would not, on my parents' floor
    Yaaaay!
    I've been referenced !!!!
    ;' )
    Cov should terminate all his thoughts of negativity? ;)
    Oooo !!!!
    I've been referenced AGAIN !!!

;' )))
  • @Spiff: A special, secret nerve? Ouch, that's dentist fu.
  • Ouch, that's dentist fu.
    Song Chew?

(shut up Joe!)
  • More Neurovision, I think.
  • (Jebus.. these puns are WORSE than toothache!)
  • (this is going to mrive me dental)
  • Ain't that the tooth!
  • I should probably just brush off those comments, but are you trying to win some sort of plaque?
  • Nah, he already got one for making JoCo play When You Go live... and then failing at it.
  • Nothing you say will bother me.
    You can't dentyne spirit you know !!

(Clinger-Have you seen the edited version?)
  • edited February 2009
    Yes, it Flickred past my search through your channel.

I also saw your Chiron Beta Prime video (jealous).
  • "As punishment for your desertion, it's company policy to give you the plague."
    "Uh, sir, that's the plaque."
  • Now let's see:

DSJD: I had to read stuff about it to understand it, which arguably is a bad point, but I find it very catchy and often find myself singing bits of it at random times (such as at the tram stop, where I get strange looks). The instrumentation's not great, but it's a lovely happy song. What tears me actually is the changed third verse in the 'proper' version compared to the demo, as I liked the circularity of the story in the demo.

TFS: BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP very irritating, so I do much prefer to listen to the demo. Maybe I should've voted for it in Mandelbrot Set 3 so we can do a beep-less version. Oh well. It's a great story though, very quintessential JoCo and it's very much the dream of a geek who's so hopeless socially that even in his imaginings he can't envisage getting the girl except by becoming a cyborg and taking her by force. I'd feel sorry for him if he wasn't me, aged 13.
  • BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP very irritating, so I do much prefer to listen to the demo. Maybe I should've voted for it in Mandelbrot Set 3 so we can do a beep-less version. Oh well.
    When the Mandelbrot Set eventually does TFS, I'll make sure to record a vocal "Beep beep beep" track. I don't understand why people find it irritating, I find it adds an eerie feel to the song. I've already talked about how I interpret it as the sound of the kid's spectrogram (not sure if I got the name of the things right, it's the machine that follows your heartbeat) as he's dreaming up these things in the hospital.
  • Maybe that's it, but it's still really irritating - it's like the beeping in Barenaked Ladies' One Week. Once it starts, it's the only thing I can hear, and it seems excessively loud and intrusive to my ears.
  • I never noticed beeping in One Week...hmmm, maybe I should go look for it.
  • the thing that tracks your heartbeat is an electrocardiograph, aka EKG, if i'm not mistaken.
  • First vote!!!