Song Fu 3

edited January 2009 in Music Industry 2.0
Yikes... I got in again!
Paaaaniiicccc !!!!!!!!

Comments

• Oh, sorry, I totally forgot that I promised to start this thread. Thanks for starting it, and congratulations on getting in. I'm sure you'll do well with all this shiny new not-blown-up equipment!
  • edited January 2009
    Just got my email saying that I am in. I think "Paaaaniiicccc !!!!!!!!" sums up my thoughts as well. Having the nervous energy now from knowing that I'm in, but not being able to use that enegy to work on the challenge is a bit maddening. Also, I have two anxious thoughts about this Song Fu:

1) Mr. Plume's tweets: "Masters Of Song Fu #4 begins. Sign up here http://tinyurl.com/cmkcou (expand) Masters will be announced next Tuesday. Some nice surprises in store." and "Masters of Song Fu contestants will be notified tonight. Masters announcement on Monday should be a humdinger."

Surprise? Humdinger? What does that mean? Is some famous, awesome songwriter taking part for the first time. Has someone been promoted? Are we challegers even more doomed than in past competitions. Hmmmmm.

and

2) The calendar. We are approaching Vaentine's Day. Are we going to have to write love songs of all things. Like most wanna be songwriters, I've already written more than my share of love songs. I don't think I have another one in me.

Maybe I'm overthinking all of this.
  • 'Surprises...'
    'Humdinger...'

;' )

Why do I get this sinking feeling.......?
  • I got in again as well.

:)
  • edited January 2009
    They really should rename it the JoCo Forum Fu !

;' )

ETA:
    (The JoCoFoFu ??)

Jo-Co-Fo-Fu!
    Coulton's Fans will all GET you !
  • In French it could be called sons fous. (Sounds sort of like 'song fu' but means something like 'crazy sounds')
  • Looks like I'm competing in this one too. *gulp*
  • Same here.
  • Is Coulton going to be in it this time? Paul and Storm? I thought JoCo had said that he was not doing contests anymore in one of his interviews.
  • I got in. First time, too.

I'm gonna get my ass whooped. :P
  • Another one here!
  • All right, guys, next time you're all listing your website as jonathancoulton.com/forums .
  • I'll be curious to see whether there's anyone entered who isn't in the forums!
  • Hmm, the fact that everyone is from the forums is probably JoCo's fault...
  • TOT But Bry, love your new icon! XD
  • Good luck to all the forumites! I love SongFu time! New songs! Hurrah!
  • edited February 2009
    Depending on the topic (and whether I have time), I may or may not shadow.
  • I think the only person from Jonathan's site who is not going to be in the contest is Jonathan...
  • I'll be curious to see whether there's anyone entered who isn't in the forums!
    Rusty's Rocking Jamboree is not on the forums, and he's in again. You might remember him from such holiday songs as Little Electric Jesus.
  • Well, it's officially the 3rd. Break a leg, contestants.
  • It appears resident superfan Molly will be a competitor...
  • edited February 2009
    The challengers (and first challenge) have been announced.

First the bad news: As suspected, no JoCo.

Still, plenty of good news! Paul & Storm are in. And Molly is in! JeffM returns (that damn pudding song still gets stuck in my head sometimes!!), along with plenty of other forumers....

Oh, and the Nerdfighters guy. That could be trouble, he's got a pretty huge fanbase to command.
  • edited February 2009
    write a happy song? That's funny. I want them to up the ante and write it in a minor key like Dmin.
  • Don't forget Neil friggen Innes, the genius behind the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band and Monty Python.
  • @JMonkee

I'm not the only one who fell in love with "A Brief History of Pudding"! It's the only reason I even gave JeffM a chance against JoCo. I also really dug Jason Morris' "O Sullivan Stomp" and "Take Me Home (Close Encounters Theme)"
  • Don't forget Neil friggen Innes, the genius behind the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band and Monty Python.
    Oh yeah, him too :)

If only they could get Eric Idle as well!
    I'm not the only one who fell in love with "A Brief History of Pudding"!
    No you're certainly not.... I thought Jeff was great, both High and At the Moon were excellent as well. I'm looking forward to hearing his happy song....
  • edited February 2009
    Yay, Cov gave a web address this time! :)

Paul and Storm against the guy I mostly know from the phrase, 'Neil Innes on bass guitar'. Until I started following Neil Innes on twitter recently, I wasn't sure whether he actually was in the the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band or just added in for effect, like Adolf Hitler on vibes and the Incredible Shrinking Man on euphonium. This is going to be interesting.

ETA: Now there are at least two challengers who have sung on stage with JoCo.
  • NEIL INNES !!!!!!!!
    I mean... NEIL bloody INNES !!!!
    He's one of the reasons I learned to play guitar (badly) !!

(Yes, yes, I'm a little star-struck. But seriously this guy is one of my heroes!)

How are we meant to stand up against Ron Nasty!?
  • BryBry
    edited February 2009
    Quick map of competitor to forum name:
    Jeff MacDougall - JeffM
    Jason Morris - ManFriday
    Joe "Covenant" Lamb - Covenant
    Mick Bordet - Lunacy
    Charlie Wolf - cwblues
    Bryce Jensen - psychoBman
    Hazen Nester - o8jedi
    Molly Lewis - Molly23 (thanks for the correction, mtgordon -- serves me right for trying this from memory)
    Jarrett Heather - SpaceParanoids
    Jutze Schult - Jutze

I hope I haven't left anyone out -- have any of the rest (Edric Haleen, "Buckethat" Bobby Matheson, Insane Ian, Rusty's Rocking Jamboree, The Masked Stranger, Heather Henderson, Jeff Fardink, Timothy Rush, Crabbydad, Hank Green, Shane Peterson, Mike Lombardo, Hallelujah Ape, Jalapeno Habaneros, Denise Hudson, AudioMohel) been on the forums? Poke your head out and say hi, if you have!

Assuming I haven't missed anyone, that's 10 of 26 from our ranks.
  • edited February 2009
    Argh, I missed the sign up, been too busy with exams. But well, I guess it's the best for everyone, since I'd either not send in anything or make everyone's ears bleed... The challenge, "write a happy song", blah... Who needs happy when they can have sad?
  • Dude, havent you heard?
    Happy is the new sad.
  • No Run at the Dog makes me sad.
  • Any emos in this round? That would totally suck.

Chairman Kaga: "This week's theme ingredient is pork!"
    Iron Chef Kosher: "Oy, vey!"
  • hey that could be a fantastic song:

i'm so sad, it's great, oh crap now i'm happy, that makes me sad, which is great.....
  • Bry: In the forums, Molly goes by Molly23, not sweetafton23, though she's probably better known under the latter name.
  • edited February 2009
    Man, they left out the footnotes I made for my bio. It makes it all the more interesting and/or funny. In the interest of completism, here's the footnotes:

* - Lie
    ** - Another lie
    † - Bold-faced lie (would have been funnier if they put "incredibly gifted" in bold like it was in the bio)
    †† - His mom. They're one and the same, really.
    ‡ - More lies
    ‡‡ - Yet another lie
    § - Another lie. No, wait, actually that one's true.
    §§ - In film. How appropriate.
    ? - Lie. What a surprise there.
    ?? - Do I really have to put this here?
    :) - That's probably the most truthful statement in this entire document.
  • i'm so sad, it's great, oh crap now i'm happy, that makes me sad, which is great.....
    There is a song like that. I can't remember what it's called or who it's by because my iPod is out of battery power. But there is one and I have it.
  • edited February 2009
    I'm glad this has been raised, cos I was thinking of writing one *like* that....
    Now I won't....

(Which makes me sad.... so I'm happy....)

(IS the song you're thinking of the Mamas and Papas, "Glad to be Unhappy"

(which in itself I think is a re-write of an Old Billie Holiday song.)

EFS
    (Edited for Spelling!)
  • edited February 2009
    Please don't be put off writing one like that, it would surely be different (and is there anything that really hasn't been done before)

Also, I'm not sure whether the song was as much like that as I thought, the two emo songs I know that I found on thefump.com don't really have that as a theme... but I'll search on my computer when I get home, maybe it was from somewhere else.

ETR the thing I'd ETA, because I'm less sure about it.
  • I'm Only Happy When It Rains? :p
  • Someone really burned the midnight oil coming up with an intriguing and inventive theme for this round.

Sheesh.
  • I'm seriously considering shadowing this round.
  • Funnily enough, I was listening to the Ken Plume podcast where he played "Bring me sunshine"... and I thought, what an odd selection for a *hip* podcaster !!
  • If I do shadow this round, I think I already found the song I'd want to ape. In tone, not necessarily in subject matter.
  • I'm glad this has been raised, cos I was thinking of writing one *like* that....
    Now I won't....
    Panic over, I think the song I was thinking of was 'Cure toujours' by Les Fatals Picards. It's in French, so not many song fu listeners will be famiiar with it, and I'm sure that whatever you or three08 were thinking of writing would be quite different.
  • S'okay... I've started down a totally different direction.
    And now I can;t get the tune out of my head...
    (I hope it has the same affect on everyone else!!)

;' )
  • My cold is keeping me awake, so I wrote most of a chorus for the happy song. I think that, maybe, it might not suck. :-)

(Yay! My first foray into songwriting!)
  • And now I can;t get the tune out of my head...
    I've been aiming for something along those lines too - an incredibly simple song that attaches itself to your memory like a limpet.

Maybe it's a Scottish thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5fA184R6EA
  • Auuuugggghhhh !!!!
    I've written enough material for a full song....
    But I cannot for the life of me think of a good opening line !!!!!!!!!
  • "Come on now with me everybody, and hear us singin' "