mondegreens

Comments

• This is not JoCo, but it is hilarious.
  • It reminds me of "Flickr" in a way. :-D
  • This Indian music video is subtitled in the same funny way. It's even wackier (as Indian music videos tend to be). :)
  • I think it's funnier when people singing in English get this treatment. OTOH, I find this hilarious. Apparently there are now several distinct videos of this in circulation.
  • Agreed, but just try to get that Indian video's be-poppin' "Benny Lava" chorus out of your head. That shit sticks way better than those Darth Maul-style chants in the other video. ;)
  • This is another classic of the misheard-foreign-language funny-video genre.
  • edited July 2008
    And of course the sequels!

(probably best to browse this category to get a lot of the references, though)

ETA: On Benny Lava, same guy did this song which is arguably more catchy. Any time Moscow is mentioned, you will think of this song.
  • This one is still my favorite
  • I suppose this thread has digressed to this.
  • That was AMAZING LaDaDa!!! Thank you for posting it!
  • You are welcome, JoAnn. Yeah that one is great but here is my all-time-favorite. (This is for music geeks everywhere - you know who you are)
  • The Paravonian rant LaDeDa just linked is a classic -- I remember when I first heard about it here and then here.

On-topic: I have the hardest time understanding the words, "Lay your cash down," in IKEA. Even now that I know those are the words, I still have trouble hearing it. Anyone else have this problem?
  • In "I Feel Fantastic," the real line: "So I take a Calminex and just chill" I first heard it as "So I take it calm and next just chill"

Never had a problem with "Lay your cash down" Schema is everything . . . .
  • I never had a problem understanding "lay your cash down," but I'm probably the only person on this forum who has run a register at an IKEA.

On the other hand, after I was familiar with the JoCo song, I heard one customer say to another, in the Bedrooms department, "Lay your ass down on that bed and tell me how it feels." I had to do some laughter-stifling.
  • LaDeDa, I think I heard it as calm and eggs, though I never really thought about it. Is Calminex a real brand name or did he make it up for the song? Google gives mostly Spanish pages.

Have I mentioned I thought crudit
  • I think I originally thought "suet" was "sewage" in Under the Pines, because I wasn't familiar with the former term.
  • I'm still wondering why you'd give a bag of suet to bigfoot, other than to make a rhyme...
  • It seems like the kind of thing he'd like. Good high-calorie chow.
  • In reply to Borba on page 3: in my accent (New Zealand) goes DOES rhyme with gross!
  • There's a soporific marketed in the US and the UK as Sominex; I assume Calminex is supposed to be suggestive of that name.

(Actually, Sominex in the US has the same active ingredient -- diphenhydramine -- as Benadryl, a widely-used antihistamine that's best taken before bed. I understand from Wikipedia that there's a different formulation in the UK.)
  • In my accent (New Zealand) goes DOES NOT rhyme with gross!
  • Shruti: I thought it was sewage as well! What IS suet?
  • Suet's the kind of beef fat that you can find in supermarket meat cases if you search for it. Like a slab of white ...stuff. It's something you can put out for birds to eat in the dead of winter, either plain in a mesh bag or mixed with birdseed. And at some point in the past, it used to be used by ordinary chefs in ordinary cooking.
  • I knew what it was and recognized the lyric, but I'd only ever really heard of it in the context of feeding birds, as jinx notes. Think of it as the beefy answer to lard.
  • For some reason, feeding birds on fat seems bizarre to me. I recognised the word 'suet' in a kind of vague way with associations to sago and/or tapioca. I guess I'd heard the word before, and in the context of the song I thought of something meaty and sagoey, but I wasn't sure exactly what it was until I looked it up. Rendered suet does rather resemble tapioca pudding.
  • Normally it's used as winter feed, and it typically has seed mixed into it, like a high-calorie edible concrete.
  • I've always assumed that in a bird's diet, it takes the place of insects. Most seed-eating birds also eat a fair amount of insects, so they get their fat calories and nutrients from fat from a well-mixed diet. And insects in general are harder to find and eat in the winter, especially in non-wild habitats. So it makes sense. Does it make the same kind of sense for a sasquatch or yeti? Who knows? But it seems like an arguable point, and the concept is funny.
  • See I tend to associate suet with dumplings rather than birds...
  • Suet is also used in white pudding, which my husband got with his Irish breakfasts in Ireland. I knew that black pudding was blood, but I had know idea what the "white" in white pudding was. (Lymph? Some other humor?) Then I looked it up. Ugh. I'm glad I didn't have any.
  • Suet seems more appealing than lymph to me. It's just fat, like one would find on many cuts of meat. Probably about the least offensive white thing that could come from dead animal.
  • (I should've clarified: In "Ikea" I always heard "They are cash-down." Not impossible to understand, not significantly different in meaning, but much awkwarder than the original.)

(PS: My Firefox spellchecker doesn't squiggly-red-line "awkwarder." I think I'm in love.)
  • Bry - are you saying that this site has a spell-check? Or is it specific to your computer? I have to look up everything I write on this site because I have never trusted my spelling -
  • Bry's web browser has a spell-check. My operating system has one.
  • And my brain has one.
  • awkwarder.

hm, Safari doesn't like it. ):
  • Awkwarder: MacMail doesn't like it either.

I believe that Bry already knows that it should be "more awkward." Awkwarder would be worser.
  • I was picturing an awkwarder as being a puffinherd, except that auk isn't spelled like that. Maybe an awkwarder is a manager of a team of AWK programmers?
  • BryBry
    edited July 2008
    Were I in a position to care about proper grammar, a schoolteacher for example, I would frown upon "awkwarder," but I enjoy the sound of words, and I'm conceited enough to believe I know my way around the rules of grammar well enough to break them as my whimsy takes me.

ETA: "Awkwarder" would not be worser -- it might be badder, but it would have to be "more awkwarder" to be worser.

Trivia time: How many words (and which words) in this post are flagged by my Firefox (2.0) spellchecker as incorrect?
    awkwarder, badder, awkwarder,

Worser can't possibly be correct but my SC does not flag it.
  • but we know that it doesn't flag awkwarder.
  • Re: Dr. Awkwarder

Yay palindromes.
  • *# applause!! #*
  • All we want to do is eat your brains with chopsticks while wearing mittens...
    awkwarder, badder, awkwarder,
    Yours, perhaps, but not mine. Anyone else, or shall I reveal the solution?
  • shall I reveal the solution?
    Oh yes, Bry - DO tell!

BTW In "A Talk With George," I cannot listen to the line "rumble in the jungle" without thinking about Jethro Tull's "Bungle in the Jungle." AND what!?!? does "rumble in the jungle" mean?
  • BryBry
    edited July 2008
    The "Rumble in the Jungle" is one of the most famous boxing matches ever (enough of a pop-culture thing for me to suspect Jethro Tull of intentional mimicry) -- here's Wikipedia on it:
    The Rumble in The Jungle was an historic boxing event that took place on October 30, 1974, in the Mai 20 Stadium in Kinshasa, Zaire (now Democratic Republic of the Congo). It pitted then world Heavyweight champion George Foreman against former world champion and challenger Muhammad Ali.
    ETA: One word.
  • Hehe... I would have guessed one word, but 'badder' not 'spellchecker'. That reminds me of when my word processor (back when word processors were hardware) thought I'd spelt 'spelt' wrong.
  • (Well, Americans spell it "spelled.")
  • Thanks, Bry, for the history lesson. It must have been monumental - but not for a college freshman making her halloween costume on October 30,1974. It was the first of many concept halloween costumes. I dressed up as a party. NO - not party girl, just party.
  • Spelt (Triticum spelta) is a hexaploid species of wheat.