Other music... *gasp*

Comments

• I just bought a CD of his, but I haven't yet listened to it. I bought it based solely on Famous Blue Raincoat, the only song of his I've ever heard, the original of which I sought out (and enjoyed a whole lot) after having listened to JoCo's version millions of times.

I don't even remember what thread this should go in, but I was listening to Sondheim's Company yesterday and I could not get over this rhyme:

When a person's personality is personable,
    He should not sit like a lump.
    It's harder than a matador coercin' a bull
    To try to get you off of your rump.
    So single and attentive and attractive a man
    Is everything a person could wish,
    But turning off a person is the act of a man
    Who likes to pull the hooks out of fish.
  • edited March 2008
    FYI, Leonard Cohen was just inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Maybe the two events are related...
  • I think the announcement was related. "Hello, press? As long as I have your attention..."
  • @Shruti: You're really pushing the mondegreen button today. When I first heard "You could drive a person crazy", I thought the line was "He's harder than a matador but worse than a bull". That's a nasty one!
  • edited March 2008
    Regarding that same song - have you any idea what "I could understand a person / if it's not a person's bag" means? Because I'm absolutely lost with that line.

Edit: Strike that - I've only heard the old version, and after a quick bit of googling I found it's unsurprisingly been changed.
  • After JoCo, my favorite group is definitely Jump, Little Children. I'm actually listening to my favorite song of theirs right now (Cathedrals). I actually discovered them about a month before I really started to listen to JoCo, so they became a bit overshadowed in my mind, but they're still great. Favorites songs include Cathedrals, Mexico, Just a Second, B-13 (This is actually the first song of theirs that I heard- it was featured in the most recent episode of Scrubs), All Those Days Are Gone, Utopian Sky, and Dim and the Dark.

Other than that, most of what I listen to comes from video games (Like what is NOW playing on my iPod, the Rising Sun Rock version of Hikari, from Kingdom Hearts), foreign (There's this German band called Die Prinzen, that I like), or just really random stuff.
  • This may not be the right discussion for this, but I couldn't find any mention of them on this site and thought people might be at least a little interested.

Les Horribles Cernettes - the first band on the internet

stuff from their website at http://musiclub.web.cern.ch/MusiClub/bands/cernettes/
    --------------------------------------
    Les Horribles Cernettes are the one and only High Energy Rock Band. They sing about colliders, quarks, microwaves, antiprotons and Internet. They are known and loved by some 20000 High Energy Physicists worldwide. They were born at the same time, and in the office next door to... the World Wide Web. No wonder they were the first band to have a website and their picture posted on the web! This website is kept pretty much in the original shape as it was in 1992.

Back in 1992, after their show at the CERN Hardronic Festival, my colleague Tim Berners-Lee asked me for a few scanned photos of "the CERN girls" to publish them on some sort of information system he had just invented, called the "World Wide Web". I had only a vague idea of what that was, but I scanned some photos on my Mac and FTPed them to Tim's now famous "info.cern.ch". How was I to know that I was passing an historical milestone, as the one above was the first picture ever to be clicked on in a web browser
    --------------------------------------

ttfn
  • The strange arbitrary colors of that day-glo website DID bring it all back, but I'm not sure I was sad for that thing to be gone. Cute idea, though.
  • edited March 2008
    Yeah! Go Cernettes! I've seen them live... here's a video of one of their new songs, which includes some footage that I took (my camera ran out of memory halfway through, most of the official cameras were hiding from the rain, but put everything together and the result is a full song with varied camera angles):

You can download most of their music from the website, by the way. I think their songs could be greatly improved by better rhymes, but who am I to criticise Les Horribles Cernettes? :)

Unfortunately, one of the Cernettes in the video had to leave CERN and they're looking for a replacement Cernette in order to have the full LHC ready for the inauguration of the other LHC in October.

Oh right... this thread has a topic. Well, this is what I listen to. Essentially I love The Cranberries and all bands featuring former members of that band (though I'm less obsessed than I used to be), K's Choice and its former members, a local singer named J
  • I'm sitting here trying to remember what I was listening to before my life became All Coulton, All the Time.

I believe I had the Once More with Feeling soundtrack (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in case some of you don't know that) on a CD with some George Strait, NIN (all of Pretty Hate Machine plus Closer), that song Paralyzer, some Nickelback, a folder of 80's stuff (A-Ha, Rick Springfield, Duran Duran...), a bit of Metallica, some Brooks and Dunn, some Kingston Trio, some Beach Boys, some music from Gladiator (The Battle)... I have a wide range of taste in music. I do tend to get stuck on particular songs, though, and will wear a song out to the point where I never want to hear it again. I nearly did that with Skullcrusher Mountain when I first heard it, but fortunately I added more JoCo songs to my play list.

Now, on my drive to work, I listen to (in no particular order) The First of May, My Beige Bear, I Crush Everything, Code Monkey, Skullcrusher Mountain, and Re: Your Brains. I might pick one of those and listen to that all the way to work (20-50 min drive, depending on traffic). On the way home, I still sometimes listen to the crazy people radio station (Alex Jones and his ilk) because it entertains me... but when I get bored with them, I put in my morning drive CD and set it on random. I've got probably about 30 JoCo songs (all paid for, yay!) so it keeps me from over playing any one song.

Probably more than anyone wanted to know, but I'm kind of bored right now and it's Friday. I can't even make up work right now...
  • edited March 2008
    I normally listen to indie or rock stuff, like The Killers, Kasabian, Kaizer Chiefs (all the K's?!)and stuff like that.

I also like to listen to older stuff. The Stone Roses, Radiohead, Oasis, Blur and anything else from the 90's really.

There are so many other random things I listen too, I'm very ecclectic. I have a fairly large music collection which I normally listen to on random (or I'll use a "themed" playlist), so I could end up with anything playing really.
  • jack johnson has recently become popular with me, which is fun because in a given day i can go from him to rage against the machine to joco.

someone mentioned that song, paralyzer, a few posts up. i believe that was by pennywise. is there some new formula for rock band names involving coinage? it's appropriate in any case since as near as i can tell they could just as easily stand in for nickelback. (which is also an appropriate band name because even if i paid $0.05 to go to their show i'd still want my... well you can tell where i'm going with this.)

have i mentioned the fine young cannibals before? i scanned the thread and i don't think i have but they're neat, if you can stand all the 80s.
  • have i mentioned the fine young cannibals before?
    Wow, talk about a blast from the past.
    Fine Young Cannibals featured heavily in the mix tapes of my youth (created by my mother, so they also featured the likes of Rick Astley heavily too).

She Drives Me Crazy... Ohh, ooh!

Excuse me...
  • And now I have that insane FYC cover of "Can't Help Falling In Love" in my head.
  • I just watched the Highlander: Unholy Alliance (from the series) with Roland Gift as the bad guy. Good episodes.

FYC fits in my collection from The Specials, English Beat to Fun Boy Three, General Public and FYC to the Special Beat around and around.
    I have my collection mapped out like the map in Heroes.
  • edited March 2008
    this is interesting. i am a fan of Tom Lehrer, but i have hardly ever (in fact now hat i think about it never) herd anyone else declare here fandom, yet in the ranks of Coulton fans, i find not one but two, i wonder if there is a connection?...
  • in other music i still keep to aerosmith
  • I'm a fan of Tom Lehrer. Based on previous conversation, I believe Colleenky is as well. I'm sure there are others.
  • And Molly23. She medleyized him on the uke not too long ago.
  • Maybe it would be quicker to list which of us are not fans of Tom Lehrer.
  • I wouldn't class myself as a huge fan of Tom Lehrer, but I do appreciate his work, especially the elements song... Awesome!
  • I know several Tom Lehrer fans. I don't think it's that odd at all.
  • Who are the two you identified, Askwho? I guess Jon and Angelastic, since they mentioned him in their replies. I can name many more -- for instance, ever wonder why the guy who posted before you has a silent 3 in his name? I am a Lehrer fan, of course. Search "Tom Lehrer" in the forums and you'll find many, many other references to him.
  • "It's elementary for silent 3..." Oops, wait. Wrong Tom Lehrer song. ;-)
  • Seven out of 139 Coulton fans listened to Tom Lehrer last week.
  • I like quite a lot of other artists, usually in the slightly off-mainstream area.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Lau, Flook, Karine Polwart, Martha Tilston, Loreena McKennitt and Bellowhead.

The above is not an exhaustive list. I love stuff I can sing along to, which is a big tick mark against JoCo of course :)
  • That's hardly grounds for any large claim, what if they were in a more less Lehrose mood?
  • What, by analogy to JoCose? Perhaps they should be more ToLehrant, then.
  • ToLehrent is much better than anything I'd have come up with, but yes-if I understand your point. Like Jocose means merry, now too shall ToLehrent have some meaning that we have not ascertained as of yet.
  • I love a lot of music genres and style but mainly rock/epic metal, the music that tells us stories. The artists are infinite though so I shan't name any.
  • wow, even more than i expected, but that just reinforces my original question, i wonder if there is some reason for the high percentage of joco fans to be ToLehrant, aside from them both being insainly funny
  • They're essentially the same style, JoCo however is not so obviously satirical, nor does he write the songd for the purpose of making people laugh, but since they are basically the same in what they do, I don't find it surprising that JoCose people are also ToLehrent.
  • edited March 2008
    Have people heard Billy Bragg?
    What do people think of his music?

I'm quite a fan. His songs are quite British, clever lyrics, political, but not humorous.

If you haven't, I recommend New England (which was also covered by Kirsty McColl)
  • Love Billy Bragg.
    Mermaid Avenue with Wilco is a favorite of mine.
  • Absolutely love Billy Bragg.
  • One of my favorite and also not so well known bands The Boulder Acoustic Society.
    The specialize in old time americana but do have a pretty varied repetoir.
  • Wow, seeing all the music people listen to I haven't seen some of the bands I listen to so, here goes.(Korn, Disturbed, Metallica, Everclear, Aerosmith, Queen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marilyn Manson, Guns n' Roses, Drowning Pool, Dope, Avenged Sevenfold, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Ozzy Osbourne, Nickelback, Papa Roach, Puddle of Mudd, Rage Against The Machines, Rammstein, Rob Zombie, White Zombie, Santana, Shinedown, Third Eye Blind, Three Days Grace, Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Pearl Jam, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Flogging Molly, Boston, Sum 41, System Of A Down, Godsmack, Audioslave, Foo Fighters, Grateful Dead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bon Jovi, Scorpions, Van Halen, Bryan Adams, Megadeth, Winger, Radiohead, Cake, Velvet Revolver, Fuel, Lost Prophets, Incubus, Supertramp, Steve Miller Band, Weezer, Dropkick Murphys, R.E.M., Warrant, Kansas, Chumbawumba, Harvey Danger, Marcy Playground, P.O.D., Bad Religion, Barenaked Ladies, Semisonic, The White Stripes). I think I covered a lot of music there...
  • monkeybiznis1, I think you and my husband would get along. He is going to Ministry next weekend. I declined, but I did see them in 1992, I think. I would say I like about half the music on your list, maybe a quarter of it I really like.
  • Thanks jesss. Nice to hear that someone else likes some of the same music I do.
  • I like a number of the groups/people you mentioned... Everclear, Aerosmith, Queen, Pink Floyd, Nine Inch Nails, Kansas. Lots of good stuff in that list, monkeybiznis1.
  • thanks muckalarkuary. I would think that most of the people who listen to JoCo wouldn't like some of the music I listed because it is too loud and crazy. Its nice to see that someone can listen to JoCo and to NIN.
  • Absolutely. I listen to a wide variety of things... Clearly you do too. It is totally cool to like JoCo and also, like... I really love Tool.
  • AAAGH Tool! H-how could you? To me they seem weird, but who am I to say what is normal. It's cool that you like them, I mean its all about your tastes and what jumps out at you. Freedom of self expression is an awesome thing.
  • LOL. They are very weird. I think I come by my love of Tool by way of my love of Tori Amos. She and Maynard from Tool are incredibly close. As are she and Trent Reznor, or at least, they used to be.

Back to music you love.... Everclear was my first concert, and my favorite band in school.
  • Hah, yeah. I remember listening to Everclear as a kid and thinking they were great.
  • I still listen to the first and second albums they released. I was just listening to one of their songs. :-P
  • I'm listening to "I Will Buy You a New Life" right now... It came up on playlist.
  • also! freezepop. freezepop = <3.

pop music
    pop music
    is not a crime
  • My top musicians have to be Imogen heap, Rilo Kiley, and Queen. Ah thats some excellent music there I think I'll go listen to some Queen now.