Song Fu Holiday Special

Comments

• Same here. *crosses fingers*
  • I still need to come up with lyrics for the bridge.
    this challenge was the hardest one for me for some reason.
    although I did get to play my drums. I havent done that in a long time.
    that was fun
  • Ahhhh at last.
    I have submitted my song and now I can waste time playing Fable2 or Warhammer Online.
  • edited December 2008
    No-one ever did tell me how many of regs in here are in for this !

;' )

ETA: By the way... Does anyone else think this is a one-off, single round contest?
    (You know.. Holiday Special and all that.)
  • Yeah I am pretty sure it is just a one-off.
  • Bah.... Paul and Storm will probably walk it then won;t they!?

I mean, how many fans do I have.... maybe 4...

;' )
  • Ah, I guess one-off would make sense given that the Masters have nobody to go up against before the final round. Although Paul vs. Storm would be interesting.
  • What I think would be interesting would be if someone ELSE wrote a song for them, and they wrote a song for someone else... and see if the *master* still won !

;' )))

But then... we'd never know !
  • Well, I guess I better write and record a song then...

Kidding, finishing it up now. Good Luck to all!
  • @Covenant
    I had thought of that too!
    It would be interesting to see the outcome.
  • Just to confirm. From the initial announcement:
    We have 25 slots open to any and all musicians across this here internet. All you have to do is be one of the first 25 to apply via the form below, and you’re in. This is a special, one-off HOLIDAY CHALLENGE.
  • Well, yeah, but it doesn't say *one round*... ;' )

(And besides.. who read anything other than "Apply now!!!!")

;' )
  • Either that's a bad thing because Covenant won't get a chance to fix his computer problems and do better on the next round, or it's a good thing because he wouldn't have been able to fix it in time for the next round. Or he doesn't really have any computer problems and was just saying that so that we'd be more amazed by his song. ;-)
  • Oh trust me.. I had problems...
    (But I do like the way you covered all bases there ! ;' ) )

But *had* is now the operative word. Got a new internal Soundcard as a stop gap til I can get a decent external.
    Or at least find out the best way to get recording.
    But NOW I have a NEWS set of problems! What is happening is, anytime I try and overdub, when I play back, the tracks are out of synch!)

Should have just got an external... (Would have saved all the mucking about at the back of the PC too!)

In fact, that said...
    I really should take the opporchancity to thank people who offered all sorts of help through this.
    Espec JoAnn and Lunacy!

(Mick even went so far as putting down a bassline for me and doing some remedial work on the mix and spot effects that I couldn't hear properly due to the nature of said problems. And JoAnn gave me a couple of pointers which, although I agreed with, I had no way of implementing!!)

Ultimately, I actually don't mind my finished product! ;' )
    (Cheezy voice) "And I hope you feel the same ladeez an Gen'lmen!"
  • Sometimes external cards are MORE hassle - especially if you have a PC with firewire or USB problems. It all depends. For example, the Audiophile 2496 has a good name as a simple internal card with good quality and excellent latency (and very reasonable at under 40 quid in many places). Drivers can be as big a problem as anything. Not sure what your new card is, but if it's an OEM card or standard Creative card, then you'll probably struggle to get good latency, i.e. the reason your tracks are out of sync.

Anyway, problems aside, it's a cracking wee song that can certainly stand up to most of the previous Song Fu entries. If there were more than one round this time, I'd say it would deserve to reach it!
  • ... I only have a song idea yet ... Don't know how to work it out ... Writer's block, I guess ... God damn it.
  • If I'm not mistaken, you still have 15 hours and 10 minutes. JoCo churned out When You Go and Pizza Day in less time than that, so don't give up (and don't sleep) I'm sure you'll work it out. :-D
  • Yes, but I'm also supposed to study for a Swedish test on friday... But screw that, I'm gonna do it! Wish me the best of luck, I'm going for it.
  • Slip a couple of difficult Swedish words into the backing vocals, then you'll learn them. (Or sing about the Christmas Swedish FIsh and their Swedish Christmas Wish) You have the rest of the week to study Swedish. Today is a day of Fu.

Good luck!

[Here I am, not working, and encouraging people to not study. I am a bad person. But I can't find any work to do. At least nothing fulfilling in creative way.]
  • I had thought to sing about an aspect of the Swedish holidays, but I decided not to. I think the idea I currently have is better, just can't figure out how to make it into a song... >.>
  • edited December 2008
    See...
    I'm confused....
    I thought the cut off was 11:59 monday (US time)
    Which is what... 5pm UK time more or less?
    So, as far as *I* understood... it's closed!?

(I'm a reasonably clever guy.. why can;t I get my head around this !?!?!??!?!?!)

(OR should the closing time be 23:59 monday??)

ETA: (after one more read.....)

Oh FFS !!!!!!! 11:59 PEE EM, Joe.... PEEEE Emmmmm !!!!!

G*Dd-a**it !!!!!!!

Mick, looks like I *could* have used that bassline after all!
    Sorry bud!
  • edited December 2008
    Eastern is -5 GMT.. so if it's 11:59pm Eastern on Monday it should be 4:59am GMT on Tuesday where you are at.

ohh. I see now that you guys dont do the AM/PM thing..

so yes.. 23:59
  • edited December 2008
    @ManFriday.... Yeah.... see above.
    (How f*****g stupid do *I* feel!?!?)

@Dantes...
    If you're stuck, and think it might help, if you wanna bounce ideas off someone, drop me an email with whats going through yer head.
    I'll be back online in 3 hours... that'll leave you around 9 hours (sans sleep!) to get something down?
  • edited December 2008
    My guess is that you just feel like a fleshy and somewhat pliable mass of skin over bone.
    Just like most humans I have encountered.
  • edited December 2008
    The closing time is 11:59pm, so yes, 23:59.

ETA: Well, aren't I slow... I blame the time zone.
  • @ManFriday... yeah.. a little TOO much skin at the moment ! ;' )
  • Covenant: Yes, but I can't record at night... Did that for my last Song Fu entry already (until 1-2 am) and it didn't work out very well. I do live in a house with my parents and siblings, you know. :(

Although, this night my siblings are away...

But I still am unable to write one. :(
  • Tell me about it, my last album was mostly recorded between 1 and 4 am !
    You just can't let rip at that time in the morning !
  • Sorry, but I don't have an entry. Maybe next time.
  • I feel ya, dantes. Making a song is hard.
  • Indeed. Also, making a song in a foreign language when you're in a timezone which renders the last five hours or so unusable for recording or doing much else that requires concentration is hard. I've never tried it myself, but I can extrapolate it from things I have tried.

I know I tried to push you into still doing one encourage you to keep trying, but I understand that you weren't able to. I wouldn't even know where to begin, myself.
  • i sang this to my gf the other day. I had a different tune to it but it can be sung to the tune of Frosty The Snowman.

Jackoff the slacker elf,
    Was a drunken, lazy bum;
    He would sleep all day and go out all night,
    And could drink his weight in rum.

Jackoff the slacker elf,
    Was a pain in Santa's ass.
    Santa hated the jerk,
    cuz he'd do no work;
    Just sit there passing gas.

Oh, it must have been his parents
    That raised him to be bad;
    When Santa finally has his fill,
    He’ll kick him in the gnads.

Jackoff the slacker elf,
    acted like an orc;
    And the toys he made made the kids afraid,
    Like a dolly stabbed with a fork.

Jackoff the slacker elf,
    Was out slacking off one day;
    Saw and elfin girl give her hair a twirl,
    And knew she wanted to play.

There in the closet,
    They had a little tryst;
    She did all she could to give him some wood,
    But he had to use his wrist.

he pushed it in gave a great big grin,
    and then began to pop;
    And he didn't paused one moment when
    He heard her holler, "Stop!"

Now, Jackoff the slacker elf,
    has a baby on the way;
    he bid goodbye to his slacker life,
    now he's working every day.
  • When the songs are finally up on the Song Fu page, would anyone object to me putting my lyric up in here?
  • Not at all, it's usually preferred.
  • Yes, especially for foreign (aka not-US) competitors, since the US public might have some troubles understanding some of the lyrics. ;-)

@Cooljammer & Angelastic: Just having a really rough time recently and I don't feel like I can write a decent song at the moment... Thanks for the support.
  • I tried to make mine as US-centric as I could... (write for your audience!)
    (Although I do use the word trousers instead of pants)
    There is a cultural reference right at the start that I certainly think everyone in here will get....
    ;' )
  • Hey, great job on your tune Joe! Clever lyrics. I dig em!
  • Yay! Everybody wins!
  • P.S. If I could have written a song for this Fu, it would have been Spanky, The Masochistic Snowman.
  • Joe Covenant reminds me of a Beatles performance from the...60s?

Lo-fi FTW?
  • Wow, the challengers really brought the Fu this time. I think if there was voting for this challenge, the masters would have fallen. I feel quite honored to have my song on the page with the rest! Great job everyone!

P.S,-I'm sorry if my entry offened anyone (I'm Bryce Jensen, btw), but some of my other ideas were MUCH worse. :)
  • edited December 2008
    Argh... No voting... Blah. Should've just rammed something together.

My idea was: a song about obnoxious christmas songs, "The Obnoxious Christmas Song Song".
  • Well, you could always write The Obnoxious The Obnoxious Christmas Song Song Song, all about how you were going to write The Obnoxious Christmas Song Song but then you didn't have time and they [obnoxiously] eliminated the voting and you missed out on a free win, so you're going to be obnoxious about it.

Obnoxious... kind of a funny word if you say it enough times. Obnoxious. Obnoxious. Obnoxious.

By the way, next time, if you find yourself unable to record because there are people sleeping, write a song that requires whispering... for example, The Ballad of the Don't-Make-Any-Noise-Or-Santa-Will-Know-We're-Awake Noise-Cancelling Mouthfairy, which was accidentally swallowed one day and resulted in little Luke Skywalker discovering (or not discovering, depending on the mood you want to create. I can see it working either way, as the fairy would stop Luke from making a noise alerting Santa that he was still awake and observing who it was) that Santa Claus was really his father.
  • Your ideas are both good. :)
  • As always, should anyone care about lyrics and such, they can be found at My Blog-tacular website

:)
  • Twangles has already been forwarded to several friends. :)
  • Here's the lyric, as promised, with a special bonus gift!!

Mr Jones – The Advertising Man

The autumn leaves were falling, And a chill was in the air
    The great pumpkin had left the patch, That he’d found most sincere.
    Now children all across the world start waiting for the day
    A jolly man bedecked in red, Would set out on his sleigh

But long before that happens, there is so much work to do
    To keep the season living in the hearts of me and you
    (and its) Done by just one special guy of whom it has been said,
    If he didn’t do the things he does, then Christmas would be dead.
    ---------------------------

(Chorus)
    Mr Jones the advertising man
    In his Teflon coated trousers
    Of a pinstripe suit of grey

Sells us what no other ad man can
    Works flat out from mid-october
    Doesn’t rest til Christmas day

When we’ve grown tired of Christmas
    And forgotten what it means
    He’ll remind us on our television screens.
    -------------------------

Now ‘Holiday’s are coming!’ as the folk at ‘Coke’ would tell us.
    Their Christmas corporate presence makes poor pepsico get jealous.
    Their vision of dear Santa with his beard and snow-white curls,
    Is accepted universally, it’s known throughout the world

But who’s ultimate make-over is the image that we’ve seen?
    Who dressed the old guy all in red and dumped the verdant green?
    Who put old Santa on the map, with maximum allurement?
    In this primary commercial period of gift procurement?
    (Chorus)

So when the true meaning of Christmas doesn’t seem to make much sense
    Keep faith in him, remembering, it’s dollars and it’s cents
    Get on your knees and thank him, lift your voices proud and stronger
    And watch with tears of joy as children’s Christmas lists get longer!

Sit back relax and prove your love for everyone to see
    And show the world how much you care by using Q-V-C !
    We need our dear old Mr Jones to walk us through the season
    If not for him, we’d be buying, these presents for no reason!!!

----------------------------------
    (Chorus x 2 to end)
    ----------------------------------

(additional (unrecorded) verse…

Who made us buy our ipods and who plugged Nintendo’s Wii
    The great XBOX 360 and the blue-ray’d P-S-3
    If the focus groups at Jones’ had not got their thinking caps on
    We’d never heard the festive cries of “Mommee, I want THAT one!”

But if you think the cries of joy and happiness feel phoney
    He’ll pull on you a 52 inch plasma screen from Sony
    When the day moves on to 26th, you’re all done-in from buyin’
    He can’t rest upon his laurels, Easter’s now on his horizons!)
  • Works flat out from mid-october
    Doesn’t rest til Christmas day
    If only, Christmas starts when the schools go back these days (at the start of December). Yet even with that I am yet to do any christmas shopping, woops.
    Now ‘Holiday’s are coming!’ as the folk at ‘Coke’ would tell us.
    They don't those adverts were so good, why did they get rid of them? I miss those good old adverts with the train of Coke.

Do note this isn't criticism just couldn't help but comment on those two, great song from pretty much everyone. Fantastically high standard, couple of songs could have been better in my opinion but I won't name and shame, it was a pleasure to listen through them all.
  • Haha, Covenant. It's all run by a big Eastern syndicate, you know.

Haven't gotten a chance to listen to any of the entries, but I liked your lyrics too, ManFriday.