A Piano medley of Thirteen JoCo songs

edited November 2008 in JoCo Music
Hi everyone. I made a video of me playing a medley of JoCo tunes on the piano:

http://spaceparanoids.net/2008/11/joco-medley/

It goes on for about fifteen minutes, but I figure you guys won't mind the length. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated. :)

Edit: Link updated.

Comments

• edited November 2008
    just started.

I can tell it's gonna be good. You and PaulSahner should be proud.

edit: For doing De-Evolving, I <3 you more.

double edit: Just finished. It was great and it wasn't just due to good source material. I was singing along.
  • Welcome Spaceparanoids!

I saw your medley on youtube a couple nights ago and was amazed. In fact I thought it was so awesome, I posted a message here telling people how awesome it was! I guess Paul has company now as the resident pianist of the JoCo forums....
  • Excellent! - Thank you for sharing the fool-proof download too!
  • CoolJammer00: For doing De-Evolving, I <3 you more.
    This may be the first De-Evolving cover on YouTube. Why doesn't that track get more love? I just love the bridge so much (as you can probably tell).

Jmonkee: I thought it was so awesome, I posted a message here telling people how awesome it was! I guess Paul has company now...
    Yeah, sure. If you really liked it you would have made a new thread about it. I'm deeply offended.

I'm actually familiar with Paul's YouTube vids, but I didn't realize he was active on this forum. I'm a fan. I mug his Future Soon riff a tiny bit in my version.
  • Hey, great stuff, SpaceParanoids - You sure tackle a canon with both hands ;-) Kudos on going for non-obvious ones, especially De-Evolving. And Todd the T1000 fits really nicely with the accompaniment.

(Hey, LaDeDa, glad to see you're still around - I somehow thought you faded out)
  • Faded out? People in my non-virtual life would disagree . . . Just been in the belly of the political beast for a while. (haven't managed to crawl out and won't for the next 2 years) And YOU"RE the one who faded out for quite some time. Good to see that you made your way to see JoCo over there.
  • Ooh ooh, can I get extra credit for naming all of the songs? Oh wait, you posted the order on the blog. :(

Anyway, great stuff. I love seeing people do their own versions of JoCo stuff, mainly because I have no leftover musical talent whatsoever.
    This may be the first De-Evolving cover on YouTube. Why doesn't that track get more love? I just love the bridge so much (as you can probably tell).
    I always have to re-listen to the bridge of De-Evolving every time I hear it. Seriously love that bridge. Maybe I should request it next time I see JoCo.
    Speaking of which, have fun seeing him (and Paul and Storm) in January. You'll have a blast, I'm sure.
  • Bah, I got into Skullcrusher Mountain when it decided that it had enough and completely stopped. Wasn't even trying to buffer, it just stopped.

I'll try again tomorrow, probably. Sounded awesome from what I did hear, though.
  • Well, dang. I'm sorry you were having trouble. I also put this on YouTube, but I wasn't very happy with the quality of the video, nor being forced to split it in two parts.

• I recommend downloading the mp3, then you don't have to worry about what the internet's doing, as long as your computer works (and plays.)
  • Bravo! Marvellous! Thanks for sharing :)
  • Oh yeah, I forgot to say:

...completely off-topic, your username makes me want to pick up KH2 again. Damn you! :P
  • SpaceParanoids: This may be the first De-Evolving cover on YouTube. Why doesn't that track get more love? I just love the bridge so much (as you can probably tell).
    The only De-Evolving video on Youtube is a fan vid of that TNG episode where the Enterprise crew devolves into animal forms. It's not half bad, that mashup.
    Agent Lex: I always have to re-listen to the bridge of De-Evolving every time I hear it. Seriously love that bridge. Maybe I should request it next time I see JoCo.
    Speaking of which, have fun seeing him (and Paul and Storm) in January. You'll have a blast, I'm sure.
    I think De-Evolving might be one of those ones that he'd have to re-imagine to do in concert. He'd have to make a new solo for it, that's for sure.
  • He did De-Evolving live after asking for requests from the audience at Sellersville, PA, October of 07.
  • Wow, great job! This is really awesome. It has already made its way onto my iPod. :)

I'd love to hear another one of these from you sometime!
  • Yeah not to be greedy or anything, but I second the call for another medley. After all, you said you could have gone on for hours!

C'mon Spaceparanoids, what have you done for us lately? More JoCo! :)
  • @Gina:

What?! This and Octopus are the songs that there aren't any Youtube videos for. When did the Youtube revolution happen that there aren't any videos for that?
  • edited November 2008
    Boy, fans sure are demanding. Maybe being an internet superstar isn't as glamorous as it seems.

Unfilmed rehearsals of the medley included more Chiron Beta Prime, I'm Your Moon, Shop Vac, You Ruined Everything and occasionally Big Bad World One (the set list morphs a bit every time I sit down at the keyboard). I'm not sure if the leftovers would make a good medley, though. I think I'd rather just do a more polished and produced version of a single song next (like my Still Alive cover). I was thinking of recording Chiron Beta Prime with (*gulp*) vocals to send out to my family as a holiday greeting.

In the meantime, enjoy this alternate version of the medley. It's very, very similar to the original, but instead of Re Your Brains, I actually play Re Vos Cerveaux.
  • Agent Lex: ...your username makes me want to pick up KH2 again. Damn you! :P
    I've never actually played Kingdom Hearts. The handle is a reference to the fictional game in the original movie.
  • That explains why it's the name of the Tron area in Kingdom Hearts 2 then.
  • edited November 2008
    I was thinking of recording Chiron Beta Prime with (*gulp*) vocals to send out to my family as a holiday greeting
    That would be cool.... I was going to mention that my one very small complaint with your medley is, it needs more Chriron Beta Prime!
    Chiron Beta Prime, I'm Your Moon, Shop Vac, You Ruined Everything and occasionally Big Bad World One
    Now you're talking! Toss in Better, I Crush Everything and Octopus, and you're ready to roll!

By the way your Still Alive rocks too.... here's the youtube version for anyone interested in such a thing.
  • Anyone else can't stop listening to this, or is it just me?
  • @Cooljammer: I was at the Birchmere show that he did Octopus at, too. I don't know why, but there is not much videotaping going on at these DC area shows. I'm not going to do it (can't really enjoy the show that way).
  • @Gina: Invest in a tripod! I'm gonna try and get a cheesy screw-in one for my digital camera for the next time JoCo stops by, just so I don't have to prop it up with straws and a camera case like last time (it came out pretty good, but it was a bit low and kept falling over)
  • Indeed... I would recommend one of these things, which you can set up practically anywhere. :) An important thing to remember, before you leave your camera in position and go enjoy the show, is to make sure you're actually shooting video, and not a time lapse.
  • When it got to Code Monkey, I was thinking how great it would be with a little touch of Vince Guaraldi's Linus and Lucy.
    Is it possible for one of you Musicians blessed with piano talent to do an arrangement of JoCo songs in Gauraldi's style?
    I have it running through my head but I lack the talent to make it happen.
  • Hey, man, if could play like Vince Guaraldi, I would quit my day job.
  • how can you play JoCo in Guaraldi's style? you mean more cacophonic?
  • @SP: Ain't that the truth? :-)

@CJ: Guaraldi = cacophonic in what universe?!
  • Colleen, you get the files I emailed you a couple days ago?
  • Yes, thanks! (Sorry - shoulda emailed you back.)
  • SpaceParanoids, this was brilliant. Well done.
  • SapceParanoids- That was just way too cool! I loved the whole thing!

And Jmonkee, to say I have company is very nice, but he's in a league all his own, I can't even begin to play the melodies that well!

I tip my hat to you, sir.
  • The "Skullcrusher Mountain" part was really beautiful. Well done.
  • Wow, guys, thanks for all the compliments. All the praise is going straight to my head, I assure you.

I've spent some time studying the YouTube videos made by Paul and Spiff in particular, and to get the thumbs up from you guys really means a lot.
  • SpaceParanoids, on your blog (and Twitter) you mentioned that Scarface loved the medley and was passing it on to JoCo for a listen. Have you heard back from him?
  • Nope, no response from the big guy this time.

I think the lack of a response was Jon's way of telling me I must try harder to impress him.

Johnathan, why don't you approve of me?

*sobs quietly*
  • I got a shout out on JC's blog! How awesome!
  • Sorry to bump my old thread, but I dug up a MIDI file of this performance if anyone is interested.
  • Why is there a midi performance? did you make it? or is it fan made?
  • I made it.

I didn't roll sound on the video. The MIDI data was saved in a sequencer then rendered through the synthesizer afterwords. This made it easier to blend the three recorded takes into one seamless performance.

I also corrected one or two errant notes, but don't tell anyone I cheated.
  • I listened to this forever ago...