Song-Fu 2

Comments

• It's striking that the winners of the previous Song-Fu have both dropped out for very similar reasons.
  • Perhaps Jeff MacDougall is a pen name....
  • edited September 2008
    I am listening to the Hubert J. Farnsworth song. It is awesome just for being a Futurama homage.

Also, it's obvious Jeff and JoCo are the same person.

edit: I totally thought that was a typo, and someone just copypastaed Jeff's reason into JoCo's description.
  • With a new family member on the way, might we get a 2nd Thing a Week (Maybe even Thing Ever Other Week) once he "goes back to work?"

I'll give some of the songs a listen once I finish my homework... so maybe sometime in November
  • I'd actually expect the baby to make JoCo produce even less songs. If that's even possible :-)
  • That certainly wasn't his attitude after his first baby. Who knows, maybe babies "fill the well" for him (Even if for only 4 bucket-fulls)
  • I think the rule around here is that if you have a new daughter you have to quit your job and start writing music full-time. :D
    Some of us are just not stupid foolish selfish self-aware funny bold talented amazing gifted brilliant enough to do something like that...

Oh fuck it. I'll give my notice on Monday.
  • Also, it's obvious Jeff and JoCo are the same person.
    Ooop. You got me. Cats out of the bag now.

Seriously... If I were JoCo wouldn't I sound like him?

Perhaps I got a friend to do the singing and I downloaded all of the pictures from Getty Images. They do have quite the collection of handsome men posing with a guitar. ;)
  • I've never seen JeffM perform live. He probably puts his voice through some kind of filter. Although, it seems odd that the one with glasses is in the superhero role. Though when it's a geeky superstar I suppose that makes sense.
  • edited September 2008
    For me P&S is definitely the winner in the Masters category this round. Their song is so original and funny, I just can't stop listening to it! The Rifftones also have a good song, better than last round in my opinion.

In the Challengers category Jason Morris's entry was the best one in my opinion. Short but just amazing to hear, I like his voice so much and his lyrics are great. "BucketHat" Bobby Matheson is a good second in my opinion. As in all the past rounds (except for the first round in the last edition) I disliked RaTD's entry, just not my style at all... Steve Chatterton's voice just doesn't work for me, but else his entry is good. And Nate Shivers' "Doomsday Shuffle" has a good concept in my opinion, I like the Futurama animated cartoon series and he could've made a good dance craze song about one of Professor Farnsworthy's inventions... Just not the Doomsday Device. Why not the Smell-o-scope?
  • Wait, if JoCo has to quit his job when he has a kid, does this mean he's going back to code monkeying?
  • Oh this is just so exciting! A new baby! I'll admit I'm pretty biased at the moment due to all the hormones but news of a new baby totally tops Song Fu. I've downloaded all the songs but I'm far more interested right now in knowing all the details!
    I hope he does post even just a small something to acknowledge the occasion! It's a huge thing, even if he wants to shield the family from the limelight.

Has the baby actually arrived yet or is its arrival still "impending?" Colleenky, I don't know how you managed to keep that one to yourself, you must have an iron will!!!!

Jeff, nice to see you back posting! Hope Lucy is settling in well! Will be off to your wife's blog to catch up on the news soon! Btw you are indeed a lucky man, what a gorgeous wife and kids you have! ^_^
  • @Percephene - Thank You! I think so too. :)

Has anyone considered that perhaps Quickstop has "outed" Mr. Coulton's personal business without his consent? Just occurred to me due to the lack of information about it from JoCo himself. Thoughts?
  • I suppose it's possible, though if he didn't want it out he probably wouldn't have given the actual reason why he dropped out.

@Ceph- My best guess is since it said impending, the baby isn't born yet, but the due date is sometime very soon. I also suspect that since the information is now out, there might be some tweets when she goes into labor/the baby is born.
  • Well, I assume you both probably emailed them saying you were dropping out for a reason, and I guess unless JoCo stated he didn't want people to know, QS was free to post the reason to the fans. Even Doc Hammer quit with the reason of "Working on Venture Bros."
  • Paul and Storm mention "imminent baby-hood" for JoCo in their post about Song Fu 2:2, but that, too, was after QSE had disbagged the cat.

(I hope JeffM doesn't mind me throwing in a link to his wife's blog, as mentioned by Percephene. Congratulations again!)
  • this news didn't surprise me because I feel like there was a vague clue dropped somewhere before but for the life of me I can't remember where.
  • Bumpity-bump the thread: Song Fu 2 Round 2 ends tonight, so get yer voting on if you haven't already.

Results so far as of 9/17 1:29pm est

Jason Morris (35%, 88 Votes)
    Run At The Dog (26%, 66 Votes)
    "BucketHat" Bobby Matheson (22%, 56 Votes)
    Nate Shivers (10%, 25 Votes)
    Steve Chatterton (8%, 20 Votes)

The RiffTones (51%, 151 Votes)
    Paul and Storm (49%, 147 Votes)

I voted for Jason and P&S: Jason, the Irish part of my heritage would give you 2 thumbs up if it wasn't holding a beer already...
    P&S got my vote when Ook Ook became fire, plus I'm a sucker for a low saxophone line.
  • P&S just need a few more votes to put them up over the top. Go recruit your friends!
  • Hey, thanks for the kind words Ann! :)
  • Voting's closed, and here are the results:

Jason Morris (35%, 97 Votes)
    Run At The Dog (26%, 72 Votes)
    "BucketHat" Bobby Matheson (20%, 56 Votes)
    Nate Shivers (10%, 27 Votes)
    Steve Chatterton (8%, 22 Votes)

Paul and Storm (50%, 160 Votes)
    The RiffTones (50%, 157 Votes)

Yay Jason and P&S! You guys deserved it. :)
  • The challenge for the next round is up. Sounds interesting; I would REALLY love to hear what JoCo would have come up with for this one:

ROUND 3 CHALLENGE

For this Challenge, not only are we going to provide you with a theme and style, but we’re also going to give you the title. Your task is to write a song that utilizes all of the provided elements.

For this Round, we’re paying homage to the country balladeer greats - people like Jerry Reed, Waylon Jennings, and Roger Miller. Your task is to write a country ballad - using a backstory of your own creation - “ called “The Ballad of Rufus Amos Adams”.

Your song must run no shorter than 1 minute 45 seconds. Your song must be submitted in mp3 form (128-192kbps) either via e-mail (to songfu @ quickstopentertainment.com - remember to remove the spaces) or a file upload service (like RapidShare or YouSendIt). Deadline for submission is 11:59pm EST on Friday, September 26th, 2008.

Voting on Round 2 submissions will commence on Saturday, September 27th, 2008.
  • Ugh. That's one my least favorite styles. Not really looking forward to this round, unfortunately. But the rest of the contest has had surprises so I'm still curious.
  • You know what you get when you play country music backwards?

You get your house back, you get your wife back, your dog isn't dead anymore ...
  • edited September 2008
    pffft. dolly parton is pretty okay. you can keep your garth brooks and whatnot, but still.

i just think it's pretty funny that, in the contest they decided not to eliminate any of the masters till the last round, half of them had to drop out anyway for personal reasons.
  • does it seem like some of these challenges were designed in advance to make it difficult on some of the masters? The first thing that popped into my head was like a cross between Nugget Man and Kennesaw Mountain Landis
  • You know what you get when you play Dolly Parton backwards?

I like big butts and I cannot lie...
  • that is a strange coincidence. JoCo already did a Moon song, P and S had Nugget Man....
  • Thanks, Jason, and good luck!

clickable link
  • Thanks Bry.
    You and your fancy clickable links!

:D
  • None of these songs match up to Kenesaw. =/ Jason's song was the only of the four that I found myself singing along with the chorus towards the end (an important indicator, IMO, of how these kinds of songs get stuck in your head), so while I appreciate R@tD's story, that deep noted "BUDDHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" is just *so* off that I can't possibly pick it as a superior song. Neither of the Masters songs do much for me; P&S straight forward "here are the facts of an ordinary life" is a more daring idea than Riff's "here are the facts of an ordinary geek's life, wink wink nod nod", but of course that gave the Riffers a chance to have lines like "his DVDs are organized by year". Heh. Also, I found myself kinda singing P&S's version to myself, and no joke, I actually accidentally started to say " ... in the poultry Hall of Fame". Never good when your song seems derivative.

A weak round overall, which was to be expected by the topic. Going to listen to the Masters again in a little while, but I'm leaning towards keeping my votes exactly as they've been this entire tourney: P&S and Jason.
  • Jason was the master of this round. I enjoyed some of the lines from the Rifftones but over all I think P&S's song flowed better.
  • For anyone who hasn't had enough songs about Rufus Amos Adams, here's another:-

Mick Bordet's 'The Ballad of Rufus Amos Adams'

Told from a 1st person perspective as all good ballads should be, I've even managed to get all of the ingredients for the 'perfect' country song crammed in there, somehow.
  • edited September 2008
    I agree that the imposed topic limited how great the songs could be. I also agree with Mitch that the main indicator of how great a Fu song is is how well it gets stuck in your head. I couldn't get P&S's "moon" song out of my head after hearing it, which is how I knew I'd found the winner.

I think P&S's "Rufus" song had the potential to break out a little more. I liked the a capella opening and the straightforward reading of Rufus' life, but I think it would have been better if, after the first verse, they broke out into a really memorable melody (perhaps with some pickin' and a jivin' on some down-homey instruments like banjos and washboards) so that even if the words weren't particularly memorable, the melody was. As an example, take a look at "Still Alive". It starts with nothing but the singer and the very simple instrument in the background, but builds to add in a beat and eventually guitar. "Still Alive" wouldn't have been nearly as interesting if it had stuck with just the simple instrumentation it started with.
  • Well, since I just voted from work, and it's the only time I can see the results, I shall post them as of 9/30 10:35 est:

Jason Morris (54%, 130 Votes)
    Run At The Dog (46%, 109 Votes)

The RiffTones (54%, 243 Votes)
    Paul and Storm (46%, 203 Votes)

Even though I'm not a fan country music in general, I went for Jason and Paul & Storm. Love Jason's chorus.
    P&S' entry is just so damn...pretty. And subtle. I seriously love it.
  • I just voted, and the Master's totals as of 9:50am PST 9/30 are:

Rifftones - 249
    P&S - 211

Looks like P&S are putting on a last-minute surge. Keep it up guys!
  • edited September 2008
    Can't say any of the songs did it for me this round, I think I just don't relate to the genre at all. Country music is a real non-event here unless you live in Gore so I kinda find them all dreary. Went with P&S because I just don't like the Rifftones even though I found their entry this round funny and R@TD because I always quite like their entries but someone else always does it better than them, but this round I think their song had a bit more zest to it.

I think P&S's song was quite funny in a not-funny way and I really want to hear another round from them as I just love how this comp is constantly churning out great new tunes. Not interested at all in hearing the Rifftones in the final round. P&S all the way!!!

Sorry Jason! I've been an avid supporter thus far but this genre really didn't do it for me and they had female yodelling!
  • I went with P&S too. I rather liked the acapella stuff and I liked the ballad about no one.
    Had this been the final round though I think Jason would have taken it. Awesome awesome song.
    R@TD? Hmmm...their music is always very dense, with lots of layers but sometimes I think it's the wrong layers. Like making cherry lasagna or something.
  • Also, I found myself kinda singing P&S's version to myself, and no joke, I actually accidentally started to say " ... in the poultry Hall of Fame".
    Indeed -- I have to keep reminding myself that the lyrics don't go, "And nine semesters later, with a degree in poultry science..." But it's such a pretty harmony part -- I really dig the (admittedly "Amazing Grace"-influenced) third verse, and the chord on the second "Rufus" of the chorus sounds like the kind of thing that'd send shivers down one's spine if performed live. After their terrifically catchy "Do the Ballpoint Pen" last time, the RiffTones didn't really impress me this round, lyrically or musically.

Jason deserved and got my vote, although I actually really liked RatD this time. If they'd chosen the proper thirty seconds to cut out of their track, or if they'd gone somewhere with the brilliant line, "Rufus Amos Adams was the Buddha" (which still makes me smile), I might've had to vote for them instead.
  • Apparently Jason and The Rifftones will battle face to face in the last round. Well done Jason! But sad for P&S, in my opinion they should've gone on to the finals. Oh well, better luck next time (except if JoCo enters). :)
  • Congratulations and good luck, Jason! JoCo forums pwn SongFu~
  • edited October 2008
    Paul & Storm haven't necessarily lost just yet. Doesn't voting end tonight? Since aggregate scores are being used, and they've won the last two contest (by 29 votes and by 3 votes, with a total lead of 32 votes in total), and are currently losing by 39 votes, they are only losing overall by 7 votes currently. So don't give up on P&S, because they could very well still move on to the final round while losing this one!

P&S only need 8 net votes to win overall!

Edit: I just checked and voting ended LAST night. Silly me.

Best of luck to Jason! I hope he wins so he can rub that victory in his son's (or was that daughter's) face. IE6 at work doesn't like his blog so I can't go back to double-check that story.
  • Thanks guys! :)

Encubed, if my site is giving you an error about a database connection, it's probably my ISP, not IE6.
    I have used IE6 with my site and it works ok, but my ISP is always rebooting their SQL server.
  • So.... Paul & Storm lost by 7 votes??

Argh!
  • dejected arrrrrrrrgh
  • dejected arrrrrrrrgh indeed :(
  • I haven't like one of the Rifftone's songs yet (just haven't been my cup of tea so far) so I'm kind of bummed that they're in the finals instead of P&S.
  • Hey, at least it means Jason has more of a chance. :)