Song-Fu 2

Comments

• I think the rule around here is that if you have a new daughter you have to quit your job and start writing music full-time. :D
    Hey, that's a great point. C'mon Jeff, quit slacking... you know the drill!
  • edited September 2008
    I think the rule around here is that if you have a new daughter you have to quit your job and start writing music full-time. :D
    Oh no, I better learn how to write music before January then I guess!

P.S. I'll add my congrats to Jeff here though I think I've already said them via Twitter! :)

P.P.S. Jeff wrote a beautiful song to his adoptive daughter that you can download on his website (http://www.jeffmacdougall.com/ - look for the links on the right, it's called Song for Lucy) and can donate an optional amount too! I plan to do this soon!
  • First off, congratulations to Jeff M and his little girl. Little things make the world a better place, but this is hardly a little thing for either of you.

Now back to me. :) I have what I consider a rudimentary complete first pass at my lyrics, and other than pecking at better words and such, I've gone as far as I can go on my own. I'm looking for someone who either wants to give a bit of back and forth on the lyrics, or perhaps go so far as to find someone who may want to actually try to set them to a tune? You only have 5 days instead of 7, but hey .. finished lyrics! I'm curious to see what someone could do with it, and of course would love to hear my lyrics actually you know ... sung. :)
  • Sounds like things are going well for JeffM and family. Awwwwwwwwwww...........
  • Well.. I did say "send 'em on" a few days back...

(I'm thinking I must still be too much of a noob to be noticed much, cos I seem to be a bit of a threasd killer...

Such an odd feeling!)

;' )

J
  • @Covenant: Don't let it get to you. Lack of response is not unusual, and it doesn't mean we don't like you. :-)
  • Language barrier, I actually had no idea that's what you meant. :p

I'm mitchokun (symbol commonly used in email addresses here) gmail. Drop me a line and I'll tell you my premise, see what ya think.
  • ; ') Cheers m'dear!
    I must admit, I am more used to the Newsgroup format than the open-ess of the forum-type post...
    I dunno if my *style* of writing suits it much !
  • I'm mitchokun
    Now I'm picturing you as Micho-kun.
  • Now I'm picturing you as Micho-kun.
    Like Domokun but with a purple and green shirt?
  • As opposed to some address programs that assume I'm Irish and picture me as O'Kun.
  • I think we all assumed okun was a Japanese thing.
  • not anyone who is on my facebook :p
  • -kun is just a diminution used to convey familiarity in japanese, right? like -chen in german or -(c)ita/o in spanish?
  • -chan conveys familiarity, -kun or -san convey respect. One or the other is mandatory after a name.
  • Like Domokun but with a purple and green shirt?
    That would be Barney-chan (way off-topic)
  • -chan and -kun both convey familiarity. -kun is just the masculine form of -chan. I only know this because, recently, after my nephew was born, all of his Japanese relatives started calling him Tachan. I got a little confused because I had only ever heard girls referred to as -chan. So I asked his mother, and she told me that, yes, -chan was feminine, and -kun was masculine, but that he was a baby, and they wouldn't have to start using the properly gendered term until he started walking or developed a personality. That made me laugh a little, and the distinction stuck in my brain.
  • edited September 2008
    That would be Barney-chan (way off-topic)
    I meant to refer to this
  • Ah, I'd forgotten the color scheme on that shirt.
  • Lol is that even possible? It's indelibly etched into my retinas just from the photo!
  • Hey I LIKE that shirt!
  • I never said it wasn't awesome! Just...bright!
  • OK this sucks.
    My studio computer pooped and now it wont boot.
    I may be sunk.
  • Oh shit. Hope you can fix it and finish/upload the song in time. Would be a shame if you couldn't enter the second round. :(
  • Wow. crazy day.
    I had to go buy a new hard drive, reload my OS and all my software and still try to get the tune recorded.
    I managed though, somehow.

I gotta learn to stop procrastinating.
    But I guess I can always do that later.
  • That's my song done... Definitely a lot better than my round one attempt. Here you go:-

The C5 Shuffle

Sinclair C5
  • Wow, congrats to Jonathan on the IMPENDING ARRIVAL OF A NEW FAMILY MEMBER! Who knew?

Song Fu will miss him (and JeffM).....
  • That would be one of the things I learned in Florida that I couldn't share. Now the story's officially out. Whew! Yay for the Coultons (and the MacDougalls)! :-D
  • edited September 2008
    Well, then, nice job keeping that secret! Boy or girl, or is that still secret?

In other news, I've given all the new Song Fu songs a listen, and none did anything for me. Maybe I'm just feeling the let down, having been anticipating a new JoCo tune and not receiving it (not that I'm complaining obviously, given the very good-news reason)....
  • edited September 2008
    Thank you. I do know, but I think JC should announce it himself. :-)
  • What? Where was this announced? Is there a new Song Fu page? If so, where?
  • link

Congratulations, of course, to JoCo, which I'm leaving here where he won't see it. (I did realize there was a curious gap in his touring schedule between PAX and Europe, but I didn't suspect anything, certainly not this!)
  • Yay! New family member and new songs!

By the way, is there some secret to finding out when and where there are new Song Fu pages? I'm under the impression that the participants simply get the new URLs emailed to them and then publicise them, but perhaps there's some way for us mere mortals to find the pages.
  • BryBry
    edited September 2008
    I went to http://www.quickstopentertainment.com/index.php and followed the relevant link when I saw Jmonkee's post. The sidebar indicates that the site's RS-syndicated, but I haven't seen anything else on QSE that makes me want to add to my already-excessive daily feedreadreading.
  • edited September 2008
    Oh... I was trying http://quickstopentertainment.com (without the index.php, which is usually the default anyway), which is completely unrelated and doesn't link to anything.

ETA: Except the banner, which ironically says 'quick stop entertainment . com' on it, which instead of linking to quickstopentertainment.com links to quickstopentertainment.com/index.php. When I'm at quickstopentertainment.com, I tend to assume that clicking on a banner saying quickstopentertainment.com which links to quickstopentertainment.com/index will just take me to the same page.
  • In fact it is and it does, although you have to click through at the "Continue on to Quick Stop Entertainment" graphic. In fairness, Quick Stop Entertainment is owned by the moviemaker Kevin Smith, and the front page is promoting his latest flick.
  • Didn't Kevin Smith die?
  • One of them, perhaps. Not the moviemaker Kevin Smith, though, or else the advertised "Threevening with Kevin Smith" would be, presumably, fairly dull, although it's not entirely clear why it's being advertised, given that it's sold out.
  • For purely Song Fu related pages on the Quick Stop site you can go here, which is how I check for new pages. That and having a vague idea of when they should be arriving from deadlines and the such. Unfortunately there is no RSS feed on the page.
  • for all you lyrics followers..
    they are on my blogtacular web-page at

www.jason-morris.com
  • I thought I would share the inventors/inventions for those of you who don't know which one is which:

P&S - Me Make Fire (Og inventing Fire (or discovering fire but inventing the method))
    The RiffTones - Do the Ballpoint! (L
  • The only one of them all that I found palatable was The O'Sullivan stomp.
    Ticked all the boxes for me. Good to listen to, was actually like a "song craze" song (And not a generic song hinged around tenuous song craze link)

I didn't think much of either of the *masters* songs either.

Covenant
    A Man Feeling Fu-less!
  • Well after listening to the two Masters, I'm now depressed at how inferior my Fu was in my lyrics. :p
  • OK listened to all the songs. I think my votes don't change from Round 1: P&S and Jason. Didn't vote yet; going to listen again later when I'm not hung over. But how come everyone seemed to think that all dance crazes were 50s corny things that start with "Do the"? Does no one remember the only "Dance" we did at my wedding: THE TIME WARP?!? I will say that I'm pleasantly surprised at the variety of inventors selected; I probably could have seen "Ogg" and Marconi coming (wouldn't referencing Edison as the liar/fraud been better?), but kudos to all Fu'ers for their research.

Oh and @P&;S: Snce I know P&S probably are one of the few folks in the competition who have heard Alley Oop, I'll forgive them for the lift. :) I love the ending: "Nah, probably Magic."

Nate's song is exactly why I was unsure whether or not "The Flux" (which apparently is now the name of my song by majority vote .. I'm calling it "Great Scott, It's the Flux!" in my head~) should use samples. It futzes with the pace of the song. I don't know if Nate slowed his song down for the samples or not, but it just ain't a dance. I can't dislike the song tho, since he and I clearly had similar though process.

True story: We banned the Macarena, Chicken Dance et al from my wedding. During the main course, the DJ came over to me and mentioned that people were asking for them. My response was "When they pay you more than I am, you go ahead and play it."
  • My response was "When they pay you more than I am, you go ahead and play it."
    That doesn't sound like a wise thing to say depending on how much you were paying the DJ and how drunk the guests were. I could easily see some drunk people paying a DJ so they get control of the set list, maybe that is just my friends.
  • yeah I was playing drums in a band once and some guy paid us 500 bucks to play Over The HIlls and Far away by Led Zeppelin. He wanted to sing.
    WE made more on that one song than we did the rest of the show.
  • My wedding was far more middle aged Jewish aunts than drunk party animals.

My head's clearer, going to re-listen to songs and vote.
  • No offense to the other competitors, but this was a no-contest for me. Paul & Storm for Masters, Jason Morris for Challengers. RATD as a distant second.
  • Early voting:
    * "BucketHat" Bobby Matheson (36%, 22 Votes)
    * Jason Morris (33%, 20 Votes)
    * Run At The Dog (16%, 10 Votes)
    * Nate Shivers (10%, 6 Votes)
    * Steve Chatterton (5%, 3 Votes)

Which of the Song Fu Masters is the Master of Round 2?

* The RiffTones (60%, 52 Votes)
    * Paul and Storm (40%, 35 Votes)
    Really?
  • Can I just vote for Jeff & JoCo even if they're not around anymore? Pretty please?