Song-Fu 2

Comments

• Well, I'm not in the competition any more, but am still going to undertake the challenge to build up my Song Fu chops for the future...

Second round challenge is much more inspiring to me... A couple of ideas came within seconds of reading the challenge and I've already written all the lyrics and have a pretty good idea how the song's going to sound. Just need to work out chords and stuff. A much lighter tone this time around, with geek in-jokes and even a wee JoCo reference. I'll post a link when it's done.
  • I think I'm going to try to cook up something for this myself. I've already got a melody in my head for the chorus that just won't get out, just need to find a good scientist to fit in and write the rest of the song. I can't play any instruments though so it's gonna be all acoustic.

Damn, now I need to buy a new headset.
  • Is the "no sampling" rule still in place? Because I immediately had an idea that I'm willing to share with someone if it isn't. :)
  • edited September 2008
    Is it me, or is this yet another round in which JoCo could, theoretically, recycle one of his songs? :P

(I'm thinking of Mandelbrot - I know he's not a scientist, but he did invent the Mandelbrot Set... it kinda works... :( )
  • The dance would be rather complex.
  • Yes, but you'd never stray far from your starting point. :)
  • edited September 2008
    The dance would be rather complex.
    I had a similar thought. But a) I'm not in the contest anymore and b) my title would have been Dance, Benoit Mandelbrot, Dance. Good luck & fu to those who remain!
  • edited September 2008
    Hrm. I just noticed that in the final tally we've recorded on this thread, there was a tie for 5th:

Steve Chatterton (11%, 178 Votes)
    Nate Shivers (11%, 178 Votes)

Yet Steve is in and Nate isn't. Could they possibly be that stupid that they just took Steve because he was listed first?

EDIT: Apparently, Steve noticed this too:
    Steve Chatterton Says:
    September 5th, 2008 at 8:56 am
    I thought Nate should have advanced. He and I were tied, weren’t we?
  • You do the watusi in a complex way,
    Let Benoit in your squaredance team
    Let Peano in your squaredance team
    Let Cantor in your squaredance team
    and so on...
  • This is all very interesting.....
    Can one assume that they open the doors to newcomers in Song Fu 3 ??
  • 1) Dude! Lurch can actually dance!

2) Wondering what the "cotton gin" dance might look like...
  • I was thinking of the "Tesla Coil"
  • Angelastic - I was thinking more along the lines of...

You take a point called z on the da-ance floor (ouch, had to put that extra beat in there, sorry)
    Let z1 be z2 plus c
    And z2 is z12 plus c
    And z3 is z22 plus c
    And so on
  • Dude, how do you musical people actually write new music? I thought I'd take a stab at at least just humming an idea I had when I read the description, and it keeps coming out like Slit Skirts.

I'm torn between saying what my idea is now and waiting to see if I can put some lyrics together and post it when the songs are released. I highly doubt anyone else has my idea, but I kinda want credit for it in case they do :p
  • edited September 2008
    I'm a little disappointed by the challenge this time. Dance craze songs are kind of gimmicky, and as the "Lurch" song showed, not always particularly memorable. Hopefully the songs in this round will be dripping with so much Fu that they'll rise above the forgettable nature of the genre so that we'll actually want to listen to them more than once.
  • I'm not sure if I have enough Fu to rise above my hatred of 'dance' songs.

I'll give it a go-go.
  • i'm sure you could find a scientist who's written papers on the evils and/or dangers of dancing. "come on everybody, do the dr. worthington nod-briskly-in-confirmation-of-your-companion's-presence-but-otherwise-make-no-significant-bodily-motion!"
  • I'm a little disappointed by the challenge this time. Dance craze songs are kind of gimmicky, and as the "Lurch" song showed, not always particularly memorable. Hopefully the songs in this round will be dripping with so much Fu that they'll rise above the forgettable nature of the genre so that we'll actually want to listen to them more than once.
    Apparently, Spiff has never done the "Tighten Up".

Archie Bell and the Drells, y'all!

Paul and Storm.
  • edited September 2008
    Schrodinger's dance.

edit: Also, I didn't know they'd parse it from 20 to 6. Harsh.
  • Shit! I just realized I left my lyric notes on the desk at work, and everyone left. I'm too embarrassed to go back and potentially have to explain to anyone why :p

I may need someone to be Elton John to my Bernie Taupin. No, not that way~
  • Yet Steve is in and Nate isn't.
    Nate is in now. hes listed as a challenger on the round 2 page for a total of 6 challengers
  • Seriously.... Confused here.
    Are MitchO and Man Friday in the next round of this??

IF so... what are their names on the actual Song Fu pages??

Covenant
    A Man Who Hates Being A Newb....
  • I believe Mitch is just trying to learn how to think like a JoCo, and Man friday is one Jason Morris, I believe.
  • ManFriday is Jason Morris. He's in. Several other folks around here were in round one, but only Jason and JeffM made it to round two.

MitchO has zero musical ability, but I was actually inspired by this round's concept to try to at least write up some lyrics.
  • ;' ))

Its SO much easier when people pander to my complete and utter ignorance!

Thanks Mitch!

Covenant
    A Man Who Will Wait Till The Next Contest!
  • I rescued my scribbled lyrics from the office. And I've just decided they're bad. But I like my concept. I may try more work on Sunday.

I realized that I don't even know how to STRUCTURE a song. I have different rhyming schemes, lengths, etc ... and my dance moves are questionable. I think you should have to submit a video of someone doing your dance as part of your Fu this round. :D But back to the song ... I may ask for a volunteer to help me out with structure, etc, if anyone wants to jump out there with it. I (practically) guarantee you'll find my initial concept amusing, at least! :D
  • I think part of the fun is that no choreography or footage is implied. This leaves you at liberty to have an arbitrarily colorful dance, something akin to First of May in its content. I have an idea that I may pursue over the weekend, just for my own personal amusement.
  • Oh noes! I just realized I almost wrote a Harrison assassination error into my song (i.e. the wrong year for something)! Dammit, three is a better rhyme than five. =/
  • c'mon then Mitch.. send 'em on ! ;' )
  • Something's wrong with me. My first thought was that it was Lennon, not Harrison, who was assassinated. Harrison died of cancer. For the record, I've been listening to Abbey Road lately.
  • I found a better opening. However, having SOME idea how many beats per line I'm supposed to have may help. Right now I sound like an awful version of Elvis Costello.
  • (Garfield.)
  • Yeah see, I almost wrote the wrong year that Garfield the Cat was assassinated by the Beatles!

(Why can't I be this creative in my lyrics?)
  • (Garfield.)
    D'oh! That, too!
  • I am debating whether I want to write a song about the guy who made The Clapper or the guy who invented the Pocket Fisherman.
  • The Pocket Clapper?

(I vote Clapper.)
  • yeah I think ya could make a pretty good dance out of the Clapper
  • The percussion would be fairly simple to arrange.

I just realized that P&S already have an inventor song as well, but it's not really a dance.
  • heh...do the Popiel Bop
  • edited September 2008
    For those of you who do not read JeffM's blog and incase he does not have time to pop in here (which I would expect to be the case), he has announced on his blog that he will be pulling out of Song Fu #2. This is due to the fact he can not write and record a song by the deadline. For full details read his blog post.

ETA: for convenience the relevant part of the blog post:
    The Bad News:

I was hoping that before I got on a plane to Taiwan, the next challenge of the Masters of Song Fu would have been posted and I could knock something out. Alas, I got off a plane half way around the world to discover the new challenge and it's due date... (the day I get home). I have no musical instruments with me, no recording equipment, and no time. And frankly, even if I did happen to have a guitar and a mic, there is no way I would lock myself away to record music during the first days of meeting my new little girl [A Taiwanese girl JeffM is adopting - BenS]. So... I must withdraw myself from the latest installment of MoSF.

I plan to enter MoSF #3 when the time comes and I also have some other projects in the works, so please keep checking back. Good luck to the remaining challengers (and masters). May the best Fu win!
  • I was gonna say that's a shame, but I guess that's a pretty damn good reason to quit.
  • Hi everyone,

I logged on to let everyone know what was going on, but BenS beat me to it. (thanks BenS!) I just wanted to thank everyone for the amazing support and well wishes I have received from everyone in these forums. It really does mean a lot.

Good luck to the remaining challengers! (and JoCo). And may the best Fu win!
  • Best wishes with your adoption, Jeff :) Shame it got in the way of Song Fu, but then priorities and all that.
  • Your fu will be missed, but...... who cares??

CONGRATULATIONS!
  • Someone should take over the mantle of Jeff MacDougal.
  • I think the rule around here is that if you have a new daughter you have to quit your job and start writing music full-time. :D
  • JeffM: Even though I was really looking forward to your next entries, I'm really happy to hear your good news!

Angelastic: Ha!
  • Boy am I glad I had a son then, because it sure would be rough quitting and writing music when I have no idea how to do so ...
  • First of all... Congrats to JeffM and all concerned...

Can I ask, though, re JoCo...
    I was wondering if his latest Twitter post means he's given up the Song Fu thang??
    "Unable to work, I'm calling it...."

Just the use of, "I'm calling it..." that struck me.
  • edited September 2008
    I would guess that he meant calling it a day...stop working.... but using what Dr's say when someone dies.... my interpretation.

ETA: Oops.... forgot to congratulate you JeffM... how exciting!