Song-Fu 2

Comments

• edited August 2008
    I agree, I think all of us "low-scorers" would like to get at least one more try to do better. Cool that all 3 Masters will compete in each round, though, but it also makes it a bit less challenging/exciting imho.
  • So there it is. See you in the Octagon,
    First I read that as Hexagon (I'm polygon-blind) and thought you were coming to France, which would be nice because it's closer to me than London is. Then I realised you said Octagon, and I can only assume that means you're going to Dunedin, which is a lot closer to Percephene than London is.

I don't think that all challengers should stay until the end and accumulate votes, that would just make it difficult to choose who to vote for (people might even tire of listening to so many songs each round), exaggerate the advantage of people with existing fanbases, and possibly exhaust (or inspire... who knows?) people who have to continue making songs even knowing that they're coming last. But it would be nice if they'd all stay in at least one more round. Knocking people out on the basis of one song isn't nice, they need a warm-up.
  • edited August 2008
    I think it'd be cool if they had a panel of judges voting for the challengers for the first couple rounds.
    Maybe even the Masters themselves could do the judging. Perhaps even giving the ones they select to move on the the next round some feedback on the tune they wrote.
    That'd be very beneficial to the challengers.. (but perhaps more work than judges might be inclined to do)
    Then maybe open it up for an 'open vote' in the later rounds.
    But I suspect that would defeat some of the purpose of quickstop doing the competition in the first place.
  • Trouble is you would lose the interactive part of the competition so people would no longer follow it. You could have judges that get 5 or 10 votes each or something and also have the normal voting, that could work. OR just judges who give their opinions but don't actually have any say in the competition.
  • But what if the masters deliberately gave bad advice so they wouldn't lose the competition to a challenger? ;)

I don't know if I like the panel of judges idea. I guess it would guard against canvassing for votes, but then you'd have people eliminated not only on the basis of a single song, but on the basis of a single judge's reaction to the song. Well, okay, not a single judge, but a lot fewer than there are now.

Also, it's probably the ones they don't select that would benefit the most from feedback... but it's better for the listeners if the ones who continue get it. Hmm. I know... the challenger with the least votes gets to spend a week in a studio with the Masters (yeah, I know this is too expensive and time-consuming, just pretend it's reality-TV for a second), getting advice. If this challenger does not go on to win the next competition, then the Masters have failed.

Or the winning challenger could also join in on this training week, and then for the final round there'd be a three-way playoff between the worst challenger, the best challenger, and the winning Master, and the Master loses either way, because either his music is bad or his turning-challengers-into-winners skills are. Or, have the two losing Masters conspire to help the winning challenger. That could actually happen in the current competition, in secret, over the internet. And the people who go through this training from the Masters would receive a fake Masters degree.
  • edited August 2008
    Ok this is getting weird... I was just able to vote for the second time (challengers on IE 7, masters on Opera). That site is really fucked up, it wasn't as bad during the last edition.

Edit: And now my master vote is gone in IE but my challenger vote's still there in Opera. What the hell.

I think the Masters should just give comments on all the challengers' entries.
  • That would be nice, but it would take quite a bit of time to listen to, and give meaningful comments on everyones tune.

and yes, people can vote as often as their IP address changes, which is one reason I think a panel of judges would be nice, but hey this is just a internet competition.
    It's not like we are electing a new overlord. I mean protector.
  • I think masters comments would be great. At least they'd get some constructive feedback. hopefully.
  • Hmm. I know... the challenger with the least votes gets to spend a week in a studio with the Masters
    That sounds very fair to me ;-)
  • That is pretty weird, a cumulative votes sort of thing. It just opens it up for some funky scoring.
  • Thanks P&S for clarifying! I'm glad to hear that both you two and JoCo will automatically progress to the penultimate arr...er round. It should also be interesting to hear more from the Rifftones although I wasn't impressed with their song.

Its a pretty tight race now between the Masters. All sitting in the 30 percents. Interestingly there's been more votes for Challengers in total than Masters!
  • Interestingly there's been more votes for Challengers in total than Masters!
    that is interesting. wasn't it the opposite last time?
  • From memory yes there were quite a lot more Masters votes than Challengers.
  • My newest Song Fu recording.

It takes a while to load, but it's worth the wait. :)
  • Do my eyes decieve me or just my browser? P&S have taken the lead!

Paul and Storm (34%, 298 Votes)
    Jonathan Coulton (33%, 293 Votes)
    The Rifftones (33%, 292 Votes)
  • It's a little scary to think that, if they do eliminate a Master ... it's possible that it would be JoCo!
  • Dantes...you need to put a beat to it.
  • Robgonzo: I thought so too, but don't know what kind of beat/music to put on it. Any ideas?
  • I can confirm Rob's vote tallies:

P&S: 298
    JoCo: 293
    Rifftones: 292

Jason Morris: 139
    Buckethat: 138
    Edric Haleen: 137
    Jeff MacDougal: 133
    Steve Chatterton: 133
    Run at the Dog: 126
    Insane Ian: 115
    Nate Shivers: 80
    Jutze: 59
    Jeremy Pierson: 38
    Bram Tant: 29
    Tom Rooney: 20
    Mick Bordet: 17

Looks like some people have been doing some serious campaigning, I guess. I think this is a great development, except for JeffM dropping like he has. Come on Jeff, you can pull it back up!
  • Tom - Mick is coming for you! Heh.
  • Are people still having issues with the site? 'Cause I still am, and have no idea what's what...
  • Which of those challengers are forum-goers...? Jeff, Nate, Jutze, Bram, Tom, Mick. Is that right? Any others?
  • Did you do something to rip up the charts like that, or did the Interwebs just finally come to their senses about the dominance of your Fu?
  • Did you do something to rip up the charts like that, or did the Interwebs just finally come to their senses about the dominance of your Fu?
    *sigh*

http://jason-morris.com/
  • i can't help noticing your site says, at the bottom of the front page, "(c) 2008 Your Name Here."
  • ahh yeah I guess that got put there by default when I went thru the wordpress automagic setup thingy.
    thanks though. I'll change it.
  • i figured it was either that, or you were really postmodern or something.

my $0.02: if i got an email like that, and went to the site and listened, and the voting was anonymous and the guy wouldn't know if i voted or not / who i voted for, i wouldn't bother unless i actually liked what i was hearing. so i reckon you deserve your success.
  • Yea, but they probably wouldn't bother to listen to any of the of songs, so they can't compare and vote for which they like best. It's just a sympathy vote because they like your song, not because they like it BEST. That's how I got about all of my votes, I reckon. And I haven't told many people anyway. :/
  • Jason, that is an adorable and touching story. I particularly liked your *sigh*.
  • They said that we could use Phoebe
    But it might be hard to see
    Hehe I thought it was "They said that we could use VB" as in Visual Basic, to rejig one of the existing Saturn moons into one we could use. So the next line kinda stumped me a bit! I just took it as VB being an inferior language and therefore not working out as well as if say, we used C#.

But then I thought about it and thought maybe, just maybe, it was a name of a moon that I was mishearing. Guess I was right!
  • I am among those who cast a vote for "The Universe Outsourced the Moon". That particular line, though, has the disadvantage of rhyming a word that has, in my mind, a fixed and established, nonpareil, Proper Rhyme (other such words include boomerang and lariat).

From Gilbert and Sullivan's Yeomen of the Guard, Act I Finale:
    (Col. Fairfax has been persuaded to pose as Sgt. Meryll's son, but he does not know Meryll's daughter Phoebe, who is complicit in the scheme -- Bry)
    PHOEBE:
    Don't you know me? I'm little Phoebe!

FAIRFAX (still puzzled):
    Phoebe? Is this Phoebe?
    What! little Phoebe?
    (aside) Who the deuce may she be?
    It can't be Phoebe, surely?
  • You are quite passionate about rhymes aren't you Bry! ;)
  • yeah that was actually my least favorite rhyme in the song too.

I'll have ta do more better next time. :)
  • Well, rhymes are what I'd like to do, if only I had something to do with them and any perseverance to do it. I get rhymes stuck in my head the way normal people get melodies.
  • Thought of rapping? Enjoying clever rap lyrics is one of my secret shames!
  • You were interviewing your idol. I'll cut you some slack for nerves ;P
  • I ought to seize on to that like a drowning man, but that's really how I talk (ask jinx, Mitch, or mtgordon). Although I was clearly underrehearsed (and sometimes underprepared), I was surprisingly un-nervous on the day of, mostly because JoCo was so gracious.
  • I can't even talk right!
    Now I'm imagining a rap recording, with beats and scratching and so forth, of "Please Call Stella."
  • i guess the mandatory cash-register sound effects would naturally come in the bit about what things are needed from the store (or, what shizzy you gotta get from the sto'), but where would you put the gunshot sound effects?
  • Well, I certainly hope that P&S are correct about the cumulative scoring, since our man is actually the low Master on the totem poll at the end of voting (at least he appears to be on my computer ... who knows what everyone else sees. They also have changed who they think I voted for twice).
  • Im not positive, but I think the bolded name was the poerson who got the last vote, not necessarily who you voted for.
    I could be wrong though.
    I cant check to see the results.
    That site is a little screwy.
  • Must be, because with the voting closed, it has a Challenger bolded for me, and I never voted for a challenger.
  • Except that that can't be true, because voting was closed before the last time I looked (8/29 am) and yet the person in italics/bold changed between then and now (8/29 pm).
  • edited August 2008
    Maybe if they asked real nice, JoCo would fix their lousy website for them.

Here are the standings I see, as of 12:39 pacific time... anyone seeing different? If this count is correct and JoCo gets eliminated I will very much regret my vote. I voted for P&S becasue I thought they needed it more!

Which of the Song Fu Masters is the Master of Round 1?

Paul and Storm (35%, 370 Votes)
    The Rifftones (32%, 341 Votes)
    Jonathan Coulton (32%, 340 Votes)
    Total Voters: 1,051

Which of the Song Fu Challengers for Round 1 brought the most fu?

"Buckethat" Bobby Matheson (12%, 191 Votes)
    Jeff MacDougall (12%, 188 Votes)
    Jason Morris (12%, 185 Votes)
    Run at the Dog (12%, 181 Votes)
    Steve Chatterton (11%, 178 Votes)
    Nate Shivers (11%, 178 Votes)
    Edric Haleen (11%, 172 Votes)
    Insane Ian (8%, 123 Votes)
    Jutze Schult (4%, 60 Votes)
    Jeremy Pierson (3%, 43 Votes)
    Bram Tant (2%, 31 Votes)
    Tom Rooney (1%, 20 Votes)
    Mick Bordet (1%, 17 Votes)
    Total Voters: 1,567
  • way to go, assorted JMs!
  • Oh crap, voting closed already? I still haven't listened to them enough to be sure who I'd want to vote for. Oh well, I'll vote next round.

Wow, it's very close.
  • That video is nuts ... when Lurch suddenly burst into an activity of movement, I actually said "Holy Crap!" out loud.