Community Skills

2»

Comments

• Really? Huh. Okay, let's try again...
    Squid original: image
    Grin original: image
  • OK there Fish Bulb Head:

Mr. Sparkle
  • Ha! I bet you're not REALLY a graphic designer.
    SSSHHH!!! Not so loud! I have my work convinced that letting me play in the corner with crayons and construction paper is actually my training with the latest in Photoshop technology!

Before Bry kills us, I think we'll need an ADD skills tag ;-) This would help us with...oh look a shiny ball!
  • Wow, I totally thought it was a portrait icon that you'd drawn Lex, I just figured you had a beard and glasses and a penchant for berets.
    Do tell us the full story behind the icon...
  • edited July 2008
    www.kingdomofloathing.com is the answer to your question.
  • edited July 2008
    To expand on that URL, a long story needs to be told...

If you donate $10 to Kingdom of Loathing (henceforth referred to as "KoL"), you receive a Mr. Accessory (henceforth referred to as a "Mr. A"). There is also a store in the game, where you can exchange one or more Mr. As for special items. Each month, there is a special item in the store that is only available for the duration of the month, usually (though not always) something to do with familiars, or a whole new familiar. If it was a new familiar, the common practice was to combine 2 of the existing familiars, for what was essentially a double-strength companion.

On April 1st, 2005 there was an item called the emo roe up for sale. It deliberately combined what were seen as the worst 2 regular familiars, and it was an April Fool's joke. When used, you got an Emo Squid. Why the Emo Squid description doesn't reference ICE I don't know.

Anyway, in July of the same year, an item named wax lips was available from the store - a piece of equipment for your familiar. I thought it was amusing to give the Emo Squid a pair of wax lips, and so I would go around with that combination.

Also available from the special store are custom avatar forms - an item that lets you request that your ingame avatar (usually a stick figure) be changed to something of your choice. So I got an avatar done that looks a bit like this.

The rest is history.
  • well per the wiki it was originally written for a little gray book in early 04, but thing a week didn't start until after the emo squid was released. i dunno where that specific LGB was held, but the odds the kol folks attended it seem slim. aren't they all in arizona or similar? why would hodgman go to AZ? possibly it's just a staggering cosmic coincidence.
  • Ah yes. April 2005 was before TAW, and Coulton's famousness/famousity/fame.

Cosmic coincidences created the Emo Squid, no doubt.
  • Ah I see, thanks for the explanation Lex! I'm glad I've at least dabbled with KoL so I was able to follow all that!
  • Necromancing, and bringing it back on topic...

Anyone have a cute way of bringing Paul and Storm into a cybernetic Coulton theme? I would have them be mad creator/scientists, but that's more like what JoCo would be himself, they could be past cybernetic beings... I dunno... Ideas?? Anyone??? Send me a PM if you have an idea

Otherwise, let's keep the wiki thing alive pls?
  • Skills:
    Forming elaborate plans that never get carried out, the occasional flute-playing, watching others who have actual skills accomplish things. ALSO KNOWN AS: nothing.

I can form organizational mental pictures of things but I can't execute them and make them turn up on, say, Wiki pages, so I'm really of very little use in that respect.
  • Updated the wiki page for you Shruti :)
  • @LilMarauder- Are you still planning on doing that video you told me about? And did you get my message with awesome ideas that I had for it?
  • I'm an idea man
  • Well, y'all know I can draw. :) Ink and paper, or 2D digital media, or some combo of both. I do realism in addition to cartooning.

I play violin, also. I'm a little rusty these days but I can still carry a tune.

I'm not sure where macram
  • Everyone missed my subtle hint didn't they?
  • Hehe its ok :P I know not everyone is wiki-compatible yet!
  • Creating an account right now!
  • edited July 2008
    Hooray! ^_^ Going to welcome you right now!

Nice work btw! ;)
  • @Perry Cox: I'm getting my ideas on paper still, I did get your message, I like the ideas!
  • Awesome.

I've been trying to come up with some more ideas, but, unfortunately, summer homework has gotten in the way.
  • Summer? Homework?

This is an outrage!!! Dr. Perry Cox, I feel for you.
  • Yes, but it's not as bad as 2 years ago. I had 4 subjects of homework, each was fairly involved. This year I only have one subject.

The most ridiculous part is the midsummer due dates. In fact, I had something due today. But, according to the paper that the teacher gave us, "These dates are to help you be overwhelmed in the week before school resumes."
  • Just catching the gist of the*initial* topic of the thread....
    At the moment, before it gets sold, I can lay hands on a broadcast quality video camera. (Canon XL1)
    IS there Live video work still needing done?
    http://uk.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=JoeCovenant
    (for some of our output... CARNEGIE is prob the best one camera wise)

Beyond that, after listening to his latest interview.. No BVs at Glasgow?
    I'll do it!
    (I'm a professional, after all!)

No.. seriously... I'll do it !!!!!
  • You will hear no objection from any of us, you will have to get the OK from the venue and JoCo probably. But go for it!