JoCo's Twitters (or tweets, as they say)

Comments

• pallrpotts: me too, pretty much. I've never programmed a G5 on that low a level, but I like the idea of RISC, and there's an instruction called 'eieio', that alone has to be worth something.

I have never owned a G5, and probably never will (never trust a computer you can't lift.) I've also only seen one Lord of The Rings movie. But I have a T-shirt that says:

One G5 to rule them all,
    One G5 to find them,
    One G5 to bring them all,
    And in the Darkness Bind them

It's not the cleverest Mac-related T-shirt I have, but it's not the stupidest either.
  • What's the stupidest ??
    ;' )
  • One I was given at the MacLAN last year that says 'Now we have four buttons', as if there were something new or momentous about it. Macs have been able to use more mouse buttons than that at least since 1997 (although they are never required.) The only 'new' thing is that Apple started making their own brand multi-button mouses in August 2005, only three years before the T-shirt was made. I'm not surprised they had a lot of leftover T-shirts.
  • Oh, yeah. I just liked being able to debug code with 32 integer registers. The Intel micro-architecture is weird and seems like an unpleasant throwback to the days of the Z-80 and 8088. But that's really the sort of public face of its assembly; inside it has register renaming and bazillions of registers and way stations and reordering and all that. And it is largely a RISC CPU with "micro-ops" to crack the CISC instructions. And I can't really argue with results (my Mac Pro is pretty speedy).
  • edited February 2009
    re. this, good question. i know a number of things that "eat" children (trolls, hyaenas, john ashcroft), but not anything so slow-moving and soft as to be below children on the food chain.
  • edited February 2009
    never mind. eat children.
  • About that tweet referenced above:

Mr. Momming it. Question: what do children "eat?"
    I almost replied to the tweet, but it was probably just an offhand comment and I didn't want my first direct communication ever with Mr. Coulton to be negative, given how much I have enjoyed and been inspired by his music, so I'll vent here.

I HATE the term "Mr. Mom", (or "Mr. Momming" here). These phrases really don't give male parents any credit, implying that a father who is the primary or sole caregiver of a child on a long term basis, or even just for an afternoon, can only do so by imitating or substituting for that child's mother or an ideal of a mother. In 2009, any father who seriously considers doing any part of caring for his child as playing Mr. Mom must be a REALLY uninvolved, lazy, and generally shitty parent. :)
  • I think it was an attempt at self-deprecating humor: "I don't really know what I'm doing here."

For the record, if my son depended solely on my efforts to feed him, he would likely starve. I seldom have much luck getting him to eat. OTOH, I've probably changed more of his diapers than anyone else.
  • edited February 2009
    Easy answer for Jonathan- Oatmeal if they dont have teeth, peanut butter and jelly if they do, Chicken noodle soup is always a good option and if they are toddlers like my grandson watch out that they don't suppliment thier protein intake with any multilegged critter they can get their hands on...
  • watch out that they don't suppliment thier protein intake with any multilegged critter they can get their hands on...
    e.g. the cat
  • As a non-parent... the real answer is: CANDY!

(the question was what do they eat, not what should they eat!)
  • Yeah, I was tempted to answer 'sugar'. Or else a sofa named Bjorn and seven allen wrenches.
  • edited February 2009
    Question: what do children "eat?"
    I recommend some jalape
  • His latest is still _very_ young and presumably not yet on any kind of solid food. I was tempted to reply "get lactating, Mister MOM!"
  • edited February 2009
    I'm gonna guess that since this was on Twitter, he wasn't actually serious about needing the help, y'know? ;-) My answer - based on my family's experience - was dirt, flower petals and mom's rosary.
  • Colleenky: ...and I found that answer highly amusing. :-)
  • Truth is stranger than fiction, my friend. I wonder if there are any large, Irish-Catholic families out there that don't have a "baby ate the rosary" story. ;-)

My sister's experience with the rosary (she was a toddler at the time) is proof positive that all those homeopathic gut-cleaning remedies are a crock. Everything comes out the other end. Everything. If you ever need a litany of things that children can possibly stuff into an orifice, or places where they can trap their own body parts, let's chat. As big as my family is, we have a lot of experience to draw on!
  • DId she need to say a Hail Mary [full of crap?] for each one that came out?
  • Oh, the scatrilege!
  • so i guess he's asking for requests via twitter just in general now? well, whatever, it was enough to make me sign up for the damn service.

i wonder when would be appropriate to make requests for new york? i should probably just wait until he asks for them.
  • edited February 2009
    Going to hell already, but I feel I should mention the time my wife was serving as a Eucharistic minister, taking communion to some shut-ins, and was carrying a little container in her purse with consecrated host in it. Somehow it came open and she had little Jesus crumbs all over the inside of her purse. We had to think hard about how best to clean that up. I think a confession was involved. I think she's was considering going to get an an indulgence or something. On the plus side, she now has consecrated lip balm and car keys, since they touched Jesus himself. Or something. I was actually raised a protestant myself so some of the theology is a bit beyond me.

Eating a rosary would not be technically a desecration of that magnitude; I'm not Catholic, but if I understand the symbolism, the rosary is honored as a symbol (and so Madonna's wearing them was offensive) but not considered to be made of G-d per se.

Yes, she is Catholic and Jewish... we take the kids to mass and also celebrate Passover with a customized seder service text. I couldn't help but notice the parallels between cleaning up crumbs of Jesus and hoping we weren't missing any to getting the leaven out of the house and then praying that any we forgot get overlooked and be "as dust." I love my weird family, sacrilege and all!
  • edited February 2009
    Wow, Jewish Catholics keep popping out of the woodwork. I shared a small ship cabin with our trio's bass player for two years, and as part of his general craziness he would seem to vaccilate between Jewish and Catholic background. One could tell what side Mo was on when he told me drunken stories of his youth late at night - it depended on whether his grandmother called him Maurice or Moses in the tale. And what tales they were... I still recall his aunt Malachi Waffa who was a WWII fighter pilot and wore trousers. And who could forget Mo's own background as a secret agent in The Organisation that was run jointly by the British government, the state of Israel and the Vatican? Never mind that he was an angel who was 1100 years old and I once saw him get flustered at meeting his ex-wife from the 15th century. I'm still reasonably sane, thanks for asking.
  • It'd be appropriate to ask about the NYC show when he posts a tweet, I'd assume. I'm waiting, don't worry.

Although I wish he would have a set place to do NYC shows. He jumps around venues a lot.
  • Borba: Best. Post. Ever! It sounds like a screenplay is necessary!
  • Over the years of human history, haven't we learned to just ignore the ramblings of drunks? As a person who has hung out with drunks and been one, it's best to just put us in the corner and keep an eye on us.
  • I'm wondering if it's too soon to request The Elements for the next UK show. He'll need time to learn it.
  • edited February 2009
    The Elements
    No joke, my chemistry teacher last year actually gave me extra credit for memorizing the lyrics to the song. Alas, I did not learn the guitar chords

Also, as evidenced by The Presidents, JoCo does not seem to have knack for memorizing long strings of information.
  • I know the lyrics, but I can't sing them that quickly ('chlorine carbon cobalt copper' is particularly difficult to pronounce at that speed.)

I figured he'd have mastered The Presidents by then, so we'd need a new way for him to screw up.
  • english kings!
  • SCOTTISH Kings!
  • Am I in the right place, or did this just become the word association thread?! :-S
  • (Accchh... Collen's just jealous you don't got no American Kings!) ;' )
  • edited February 2009
    Sure we do. Sacramento Kings, Kings County, the Latin Kings of 134th street...
  • Awa' wi' ye and yer fake kings !

;' )

(See... SMALL k...)
  • I'm a sports fan but not a soccer (or unAmerican football) fan (I don't hate it, I just don't follow it). But one of my favorite things about Major League Soccer (the US's soccer league) is how the teams choose entirely ridiculous names to camouflage themselves as actual soccer teams -- hence my hometown team, FC Dallas (nee the Dallas Burn).

But the relevant part of this rant is how the team in Utah, in imitation of Real Madrid ("Real" as in Spanish for "royal"), is called Real Salt Lake. One might acknowledge that Madrid is in (in fact, is the capital of) a country with a reigning monarch, a distinction notably not shared by Salt Lake City.
  • you don't know that. The Church of LDS might have all sorts of secret stuff going on.
  • Oh, wait, and there's King Gillette! (thanks, MitchO)
  • Sorry, backing up for a bit of funky coincidence. A good friend of mine just sent me a blog post by SF author Frederick Pohl, who he used to read in high school. The reason he sent me the link was that the blog entry was written on the very ship where I first worked with the abovementioned Mo. And this friend happened to be the person who ended up with "my" eighth-grade (TFS) Laura. (It's okay, he's marrying someone else next month!)
  • Martin Luther King Jr
    Nat "King" Cole
    Don King
    Burger King!
  • I hear Brookline had a king.
  • (yes, my mention of King Gillette was a veiled reference to Mitch's attempt to find the "king" in Brookline)
  • Burger King can hardly count. He just pretends to be a king, for maximum creepiness.
  • (So this has become the word association thread. OK. ;-) )
  • You can't be sure he isn't the king of burgers. Like Mayor McCheese.
  • Borba: It amuses me that of the several books that Frederick Pohl describes having attempted, the only one he seems to have enjoyed was an Ed McBain, who's one of my favorite mystery writers. As you might gather from what Pohl says, in addition to writing some pretty solid prose, he's an expert with the sly self-reference, as when his characters, on saying, "October 15th," invariably follow it with, "Birthdate of great men."
  • I'd just like to add that the Burger King scares me to the point that I no longer eat there. (That, and Wendy's makes for much higher quality burger. Wendy's the rightful Burger Queen, goshdarnit.)
  • As far as I know, there are no longer any *Wendy's* in the UK at all.
    I've had Wendy's twice in my life, many ,many years ago when I was in London.
    (And I really liked it too!)
    So, Last time I went down there (about 5 years ago) I spent a whole day looking for one, people saying they were *Sure* there was one on 'X' street...
    but no... despite looking all day. No Wendys' for Joe...
  • He isn't exactly great, but my son't birthday is on October 15th also, and I think he is a pretty good kid...
  • Wendy's is nice, but there isn't any here. The local Burger King recently turned into a Swissmeal, which I approve of, because I didn't move all the way to Switzerland to eat Burger King (though I know a lot of people who waste a lot of time trying to turn the country they willingly moved to into the one they moved from. I don't get it.)
  • You can't be sure he isn't the king of burgers. Like Mayor McCheese.
    I suppose he could be seen as the King of the Burgers... (is mourning with Popeye...)
    And Wendy's is mentioned in that bridge, too, think of it...