JoCo's Twitters (or tweets, as they say)

Comments

• It didn't seem to hurt him at Pop!Tech in 2003. :-)
  • Coulton, not Samson.
  • New instruments means new music, right?
  • we can hope.
  • Haha, and promptly come YouTube comments from Wil Wheaton and Jesse "America's Radio Sweetheart" Thorn.
  • Awesome. You've hit the big-time, Colleen!
  • Whoa! Saw Wheaton's, but I didn't see Jesse Thorn's at first. :-)
  • edited January 2009
    P.S. Breaking radio silence on this subject to link P&S's reply.

Will we see it at this weekend's shows?
  • Uh-oh. Triple posting. (I will certainly be punished for this.)

Dr. Coulton must be playing catch-up today. Some Twitter-love for Spiff's recent Shop Vac vid. :-)
  • Made him sad but apparently didn't make him cry. Next time! ;)
  • Obviously, you need to break down the wall, brick by brick, and when you're side by side, build it up again.
  • Made him sad but apparently didn't make him cry. Next time! ;)
    Is this a hint at your next WoW vid? Is it? Is it?

I believe it is, because I see hints where there probably are none.
  • edited January 2009
    If my next vid actually makes him cry, then he's a far too emotional guy. ;)
  • I just thought you were being a little more subtle.
  • OK. This one from P&S has stumped me.
    paulandstorm (P) Coulton smells terrible, BTW. He appears to be going full-Brian Wilson.
    Which was in response to:
    jonathancoulton I stink. I apologize in advance to my van mates @paulandstorm.
    I don't think Googling "stinky Brian Wilson" is going to help me. ;-)

(Just checked. I was right. And BTW, I know who Brian Wilson is, but I don't get this reference.)
  • I'm confused by the reference as well. Is JoCo sleeping a lot, doing copious amounts of cocaine, and overeating? Has he been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder? We all know he's a musical genius, so that parts just a given... Maybe it's just his personal grooming habits.
  • Maybe he should have said Howard Hughes?
  • Gradual School...?
  • Graduate School. According to wikipedia, in British English it's called "Postgraduate", which actually makes more sense, since you attend after graduating from college.
  • Awhhh I thought there would be some John Irving fans in here!

Looking for a link I found the PERFECT page to explain it.....
  • Oh, I always wondered what the difference between graduate and postgraduate studies was! It turns out it's the country!

Here's a good comic about grad school.
  • ...I always saw it as "you graduated, you are now a graduate, go to more school, it is graduate school".

not even sure what Post-graduate would be. PHD?
  • Post-graduate is the opposite of under-graduate (i.e. getting your Bachelors).

No, I don't know why it's "under" and not "pre" or "working-to"
  • I've always thought that "post-graduate" means after grad school -- that is, academic work after you've gotten a Master's or Ph.D. Post-doctoral? No?

I considered graduate school. But about three seconds later I came to my senses and got a job.
  • that is, academic work after you've gotten a Master's or Ph.D. Post-doctoral?
    That's what my scientist friends call it. Post-doc for short.
  • I don't think a postdoc is the same as a postgrad.
  • edited January 2009
    Post-doctorate is what you do after a post-graduate (otherwise known as a PhD)

UK system explained....

Under-Graduate (3 to 4 years) -> Becomes Bachelor
    Leads to
    Post-Graduate
    Which is a:
    Masters (1 year, which can be the 1st year of a PhD)
    or
    PhD (3+ years) -> Becomes a Doctor (not the medical type)
    A PhD Leads to:
    Post-Doctorate -> Becomes a Professor

Not total sure where special studies like medical, law, etc fit in.
  • edited January 2009
    Not total sure where special studies like medical, law, etc fit in.
    In the US, medical or law school replace post-grad(UK)/graduate(US) school
  • Anyone going to JoCo's thing tonight?
  • @Cov: Finally got around to looking at your link. That's so true. I was deeply saddened when I (gradually) came to that realization.
  • ;' ) Glad *someone* looked !!!

;' )
  • In the UK medical doctors normally do a medical degree in place of bachelors, which normally takes around 7 years (give or take). After which they graduate as junior doctors. Then they have to go work in a hospital and slowly learn and get promoted on the job. I have a few friends currently working through their medical degrees.

Also I will briefly point out a PhD is a Doctorate in Philosophy not a general doctorate in any subject, it is something that always feels awkward to me now I know but I still say PhD when I mean Doctorate so I am only slightly Pedantic.
  • No need to be pedantic. Wikipedia says:
    The doctorate was later extended to philosophy in the European universities in the Middle Ages which generally placed all academic disciplines outside the professional fields of theology, medicine and law under the broad heading of "philosophy" (or "natural philosophy" when referring to science)
    Practically all of my friends are Ph.D. students or already have Ph.D.s (yes, I have an inferiority complex) but not in philosophy as we understand the term today.
  • edited January 2009
    Never mind. Remind me to read the quoted text before making a witticism.
  • re. the latest facebook-related twitter, i was very startled and possibly also dismayed when i noticed that on facebook last night. and then scarface posted saying it was accidental, which okay. but then i checked back an hour later and he was still in the groups in question.

would have serious implications for the gender & lyrics thread, if it wasn't accidental....
  • Now, here is some wiki fodder.
  • It only makes me mad, and a little bit sad, when my worst fears are concerned: it's not my gear -- which is actually pretty good -- it's me. (Sigh).
  • Did you read the ALT tags on those links ?
    Mostly standard stuff, but the one for the "dbx 376 Tube Channel Strip", is a classic !
    ;' )
  • I had no idea there were ALT tags. Funny! :-)
  • Covenant: thanks for pointing that out!

His point about the patch bay and cables is well-taken. That's one of the things that is always a huge PITA and it slows me down and prevents me from experimenting as much as I should.

I'm not sure why he has the outboard POD and reverb. Prefers the sounds, maybe, or just because he's used to them. I made a deliberate decision to avoid outboard gear (I used to have all kinds of loose stuff) in favor of doing pretty much all the processing in Logic with various plug-ins. That way I can also change my mind about effects, since the effects aren't "printed" on the recorded tracks until you bounce them to a finished product.

One thing he doesn't mention is how he gets audio in and out of his PowerBook for his live shows. I'll have to ask him about that if I get a chance some time. If he really is using Ableton it ought to be possible for him to do songs like "Bacteria" live, Thomas Dolby style, should he want to.
  • Upgrade the computer to a G5? Intel Mac mini to G5 would be a downgrade, PowerBook G4 to G5 would be impossible (they never made PowerBook G5s)

He is indeed using Ableton Live 5 for live shows (at least when using the iPhone) as evidenced in my photo from Birmingham. The file name is 'Mr Fancy Loops iPHONE' which implies that he either has a different file for the Zendrum, or he uses something else.
  • Well... He does Fancy Pants live using the zendrum.. couldn't Bacteria be done the same way??

I have just found out I DON'T need to get my semi acoustic fixed.. the output jack is working fine !!
    I was looking at a Pod, but you can only get 'one' effect at a time out of them, yeah?

Yay!
  • Ooo have I been virgin ninja'd !?!?!?

;' )
  • Angelastic: yeah, actually I would think at this point if he wanted to upgrade to a desktop, he'd go to a Mac Pro, unless he was looking for a cheaper used machine. But the G5 desktops had slightly dicey cooling and I'd be a bit nervous about buying a used one. He may have misspoken. I have a G4 Mac Mini and I've heard him before mention a G4, so maybe he actually has a G4-based Mac Mini?
  • If he mentioned a G4, I guess it was the PowerBook. But maybe it was a joke about the G5 (maybe he prefers them to Intel) considering even the title text of the link admits that the G5 is defunct.
  • edited February 2009
    You heard the man.

ETA: Holy shit! Look at the photos of that venue!
  • Angelastic: I prefered the programming architecture and instruction set design of the G5 and would have liked to see Apple and IBM continue with the line, but it is the sad truth that IBM's investment in the PowerPC architecture seemed to be tilting towards lower-power chips (and POWER for serious hardware). They just weren't getting the investment needed to get the clock speed up and get them faster. So I was kind of pissed at the time but in retrospect it seems like the move to Intel was the right one.
  • You heard the man.
    What if I didn't, because I had no twitter access two hours ago, and now it's slid off my twitter radar? HMM!?