Covers of JoCo songs

Comments

• Heh, CoolJammer. Reminds me, obscurely, of the time when, in the words of the Deranged Millionaire, They Might Be Giants "drives on [from Asheville, North Carolina]. To Scotland," and played at the Garage. Apparently Glaswegians weren't best pleased with their American pronunciation ("guh-rahdge" for "garridge")?
  • He actually did say zed a few times during that song at the JoCoLoCo. It worked a bit better than 'Posh Spice Crazy'.
  • that's what I was referencing, Angelastic. But Posh Spice isn't known for being crazy, is she? Just tan and shallow. You could do "Posh Spice is Posh Spice stupid". They sure made her out to be that way in Spice World (which I have seen and for some reason own on VHS)
  • I think the problem in madelbrot set was when he tried to do it, he got mixed up and then the crowd was just singing instead :D
  • that's cause them crazee Europeans probably don't even know what a "zee" is.
  • Not only the crazed Europeans.
    Canadaman! He wears a tuque upon his head,
    he makes it look so easy, or should we say e-zed?
  • Listening again to the Grammar Club cover of Code Monkey (link to MP3), with ear particularly tuned (not to say AutoTuned) to the rap part. I don't have a problem with rap, though I don't listen to it myself, and I don't think theirs was poorly done as rap goes. But I didn't like it much the first listen-through, and I think I'm beginning to understand why.

In a nutshell, as Spiff said in the comments to the Coultonblog post, they did put their own spin on things, and I respect that a lot. There's definitely a lyrical layer that wasn't there in the original song, exhorting the protag to take action. But I think the thing that the original has that the cover lacks is any understanding of the character. It's not as though JoCo himself believes that what Code Monkey is doing is right, but he definitely has more sympathy than the Grammar Club folks, who seem to be setting Code Monkey up as a loser just so they can yell at him about how he should do non-loser things. And to me, in doing so, they miss the point.
  • Don't live another day unless you make it count,
    There's someone else you're supposed to be,
    There's something deep inside of you that still wants out,
    And shame on you if you don't set it free.
    Of course, that's a whole different song...
  • @Jutze - Super cool! I know about as close to zero German as you can get, so I can't really speak as to the literary quality of the translation or anything, but it sounds awesome and from what I can tell (as a non-German-speaker) you've done a great job with everything else too.
  • edited July 2008
    I hadn't made the connection till earlier today, I am a big fan of the members of Grammar Club in their individual musical pursuits. Like Glenn Case is an extremely talented and amazingly prolific songwriter.
    Beefy has one of my favorite songs right now, Dork Date.
  • Hello,

This isn't quite a polishsed, finished cover, but I've recorded some bits for "The Future Soon."

There's an isolated guitar part (dry), an isolated guitar part (wet), and a very rough cover (not really properly mixed and EQ'ed) with my 13-year-old son singing over the guitar part.

See:

http://geekversusguitar.blogspot.com/2008/07/future-soon-guitar-parts-and-rough.html

For way too much detail and blather and the files.

Next time: Chiron Beta Prime (somewhat easier to play).
  • Since the "you" section hasn't been updated in a while (it seems, since 'scarface' took over JoCo's email), I figured I'll continue to post my covers here. The latest is Re:Your Brains, which somehow ended up as a rag.

Re: Your Brains
  • Amazing. (Not that I expected less.)
  • Paul: It seems like I say this to you every time, but I think that's your best effort yet. A classic spin on a classic song. I didn't think that song could get any more fun, but you may have done it....

Paul has 10 JoCo covers on his youtube page now, and they're all great. I think it might be time to give him his own wiki page.
  • So I finally joined YouTube and pulled out a JoCo song I've previously recorded: here's me playing Not About You live in the bathroom to a non-existent audience. :-)

Jutze
    (not a plumber)
  • I don’t know who Joel Johnson is and I already have "Best. Concert. Ever." But the challenge he twittered ("Have an extra copy of @jonathancoulton's "Best. Concert. Ever." CD & DVD. Will send to the person who records worst JoCo cover in 30 secnds.") sparked my interest. I decided to ruin everything by covering “You Ruined Everything”. Falsetto voice meets flutes. There you go.

While I was setting up my recording gear, I realized that I could try to rush through "Big Dick Farts a Polka", as well. Three chords, some melodica, a blistered thumb. Here are the results for the fearless:

Big Dick Farts a Polka
    I Ruined Everything
  • Congrats on the "win", Jutze! Way to ruin everything.

Now I'm going to go contemplate my choice of recorder as my primary instrument. (Explanation: Not really. I think that was sarcasm)
  • While I was in Boston, Mike Lombardo and I recorded a quick piano rock cover of Big Bad World One. (Mostly Mike. I'm just singing backing vocals.)
  • edited October 2009
    Very nice, Colleenky!

Then there's this. Not a polished performance, but the audience is very enthusiastic.
  • Some of you may remember Jarrett Heather's briliant piano version of "When You Go"
    Well, I've always said I would do this... now I have.

When You Go...CLICK!

Enjoy!
    (Go on, actually download it, its a freebie!!)

;' )
  • Joe Cov,

That was a very nice rendition.
  • Nice job Joe.
  • nice sighs in there too, added a lot to it.
  • Lovely work, Joe.
  • Great work, gentlemen! :-)

Good stuff, Joe.
  • Here's a cover of The Future Soon that's guaranteed to make you smile!
  • edited December 2009
    In case I have not annoyed you enough -- anyone? Anyone I haven't annoyed enough? Here is my version of "I'm Your Moon." (Look out -- there are two of him!) And yes, I should learn not to leave my mouth hanging open when I'm playing guitar in front of a camera.
  • The same guy who did The Future Soon above rose to my challenge to do something new with Still Alive. I'm quite impressed by how "right" it sounds ;-)
  • Today he put up Tom Cruise Crazy, with a hearty shout-out to Spiff.

This guy is great, you Mandelbrot Set members should try to recruit him.

Don't miss Big Bad World One, too....
  • Damn it, Jmonkee, thanks for stating the obvious! He's going to get dragged into these here forums...
  • I consider myself punished, in the most pleasant way. :)
  • You earned it, Spiff. Thanks for the kind words y'all (yeah, we say stuff like "y'all" down here.)

I guess this means I got dragged. And to think, I was only going to put up the one cover. Now I'm all off-schedule and sleep deprived. :)
  • Ha! Nice job Borba, and welcome leighdf....
  • Thanks again for getting me out there, Spiff. It's a strange kind of compliment to get all these WoW fans subscribing to my little channel!

Also, thanks to Leighdf I have now realised that I absolutely have to play Still Alive if I am to join the JoCo cover crowd as a full member. Don't know why I left it so long. I'm amazed how these songs just lend themselves to reinterpretation, even without vocals. So far I have little nuggets of three distinct plausible versions: the Burt Bacharach ballad, the straight bossa nova, and the self-indulgent jazzy rubato corner-piano-noodling (think I'll go for the latter if it lets me). And then it also makes a hilariously overblown romantic piano concerto cadenza...
  • edited December 2009
    Don't overlook the possibility of it as a bright piece in the style of Mozart.
    It makes a pretty darned nifty Strauss waltz, too. Better than nifty... brilliant.
    Such a ponderous plethora of pretty and pleasing permutations!
  • Funny you mention Mozart -- I actually started a faux-Baroque arrangement of Still Alive a while ago (back before I started my Bach To The Future Soon cover), though I haven't worked on it for a while.

The thing is, I reinterpreted the ukulele figure in the original as a Mozart-style "Alberti Bass" figure on a harpsichord. Yes, I know that's slightly mixing genres, but I think I crossed that line a long time ago!
  • Strauss waltz? Wow! Long stretched out "This.... Was.... A...." before getting in the groove ;-) Although doing that with vocals would make it a nice belter too.
  • You guys are making me drool with all this talk. Can't wait to hear it!
  • "When you go" has slowly stopped evolving as I play it, so I figured I may as well record it now. It's a bit unusual, in that I was consciously trying NOT to have anything funny in there. If you laugh, you're a bad person ;-) Okay, maybe it's funny that it's soooo damn serious.
  • Very nice. :)
  • Borba, absolutely brilliant. You've completely blown me away with this. Speechless.
  • Thanks very much for the compliments, guys. Just don't spur me on ;-)

Actually, I've got another wistful one that is taking shape now...I might try and do it before Christmas, because it is starting to sound a little bit too seasonal to do afterwards!
  • Some forumites will probably recognise this as an oldie, but I'm now trawling through older arrangements and committing them to video performances. Here is one of a number of my Millionaire Girlfriends.
  • I couldn't help it - here is Still Alive - the more-precious-than-thou cabaret version.
  • Very sweet Borba- now how about a smile and wave to the camera before you turn it off at the end?
  • I'll consider it, although I have to make it a signature wave to match Dave Leigh's signature shrug.
  • Bravissimo! Did I detect just the tiniest hint of "I'm Your Moon"?