What do you want to ask JoCo? (was: What do you want to know?)

12346»

Comments

• at the austin show he tossed his pick my direction when he left the stage. I stuffed it in my pocket then forgot about it. When I finally remembered it was too late, i had lost it for good. :(
  • If you find it, send it to poor Len... I'd send him mine but it isn't a good example for his portfolio since the cartoon is mostly rubbed off.
  • Do you think Len hand drew on each pick?

There's gotta be some company that does that for you with some semblance of permanence.
  • I'm pretty sure they were printed. Although the mind boggles at the possibilities... I know Len draws really quickly!

The company logo also rubs off. I have a bunch of old Dunlop picks that I can no longer identify except by color. Given the way they are rubbed between sweaty, callused fingers, it seems like it would be a challenge to get the printing to be truly permanent.
  • what about embossing?
  • I sing IKEA when I go to IKEA and wait for someone to notice. Most people just look at me weird. LOL Next time, I will sing it wearing my Skullcrusher t-shirt as well.

This may have been asked elsewhere, but I'm too lazy today to look. Does Jonathan have a Phd?

And for awryone: Do you know if Jonathan would do a private party gig? What would he charge if he did?
  • I haven't been to an IKEA yet, even though one opened close to where I live a few months ago... But seeing as I don't live on my own (yet), I don't need to go there anyway. When I'll go I'll definitely be singing it. :-)

Mallory: I'm pretty sure he doesn't. Never read anything about it anyway. He's got a Music degree from Yale, but it's not a PhD I think.
  • The only time I ever went to IKEA I was wearing a Skullcrusher Mountain T-shirt and carrying a half-pony, half-monkey monster, and although I don't think I actually sang the song in the store, I did play it on my friend's car stereo on the way, and I probably whistled it while in the store. I said hello to Billy the bookcase.
  • I play IKEA on repeat while assembling their furniture. We bought a ton of it (probably an understatement) when we bought our condo.
  • I said hello to Billy the bookcase.
    I have a few Billys in my house.

I have not been to Ikea ever. (Well I was once in an Ikea car park...before IKea was cool)
  • edited April 2009
    as i understand it, the nyack, ny show was largely funded by a single contributor as a sort of birthday thing, although it was also a show that losers like me could buy tickets to. if you look up the nyack thread you can find contact info for the dude or lady who sponsored it and ask them about specifics.

to my knowledge though, mr coulton entered the workforce after taking his BA at yale. so, no phd.
  • before IKea was cool
    Ikea has always been cool, it just hasn't always had the true appreciation it deserves.
  • Thanks three08.

BenS, you are soooo right. Meatballs are always tasty and IKEA has always been kewl. :)
  • I still have some Ikea meatballs in my freezer, very cool. I should eat them some time.
  • You know, this sounds silly, but JoCo being somebody who has changed his life by writing songs about monkeys, I think he is in a position to know the answer. I would ask:

How many monkeys does it take to change a lifetime?
  • - My Monkey
    - Code Monkey
    - Indigo Monkey
    - Monkey Shines
    - De-Evolving
    - Overhead
    - Half-Monkey (Half-Pony) Monster

Approximately 6.5 by the wiki's my count. But maybe he used too many monkeys?

One could also argue that the monkey in Monkey Shines (and maybe in Overhead?) is actually Brian Denehey. Which would lower it to 4.5. Unless you also count the fact that Skulcrusher Mountain mentions multiple monkeys, which would increase the number by an unknown quantity, m.
  • One could also argue that his life had already changed by the time he wrote Monkey Shines (assuming, of course, that it was not a sitcom in the 80s, cancelled during its first commercial break), or that the monkey butler named Brian Dennehy featured in Monkey Shines is the same monkey butler named Brian Dennehy as in My Monkey.
  • I WANT HIS BABIES! its not a question its a demand.
  • Is that a kidnapping threat?
  • I thought of a question this morning that I'd like to ask JoCo if it I could pull it off without sounding like a creepy fangirl.  Is his wife a fan of his music?  I could see it going either way, it's pretty specific stuff.

On the topic of IKEA, we went there last weekend and I couldn't get the song out of my head.  My 8yo and I whispered it to each other the whole time.  At one point, the hubby and I were looking at bookshelves (we're geeks, we need more bookshelves) for about 5 minutes before I realized we were looking at Billy.  Laughed myself silly for the next several minutes and got weird looks from strangers who were wondering what I found so funny about a bookcase.  So, thank you to JoCo for allowing me the opportunity to get weird looks from strangers!
  • Good question, @mizzie! I don't think I've heard him talk much about that; I guess I can infer that she was supportive of him quitting his job to make music, and I want to say that he's recorded certain things because they both liked them (I'm faintly remembering something about that being why he covered one or both of "Baby Got Back" / "Bills, Bills, Bills"), but does that mean she would listen to his music generally? I'm not sure.

[I don't think it'd be awfully creepy to ask him at an appropriate moment, but then I dunno.]

• Bry - Well, I was afraid it would come off as "I've been wondering, is your wife a fan of your music, because if she's not you should totally leave her for me since I am."  But maybe I over think these things.
  • So, if anyone saw this and wondered, I worked up the nerve to ask JoCo about his wife liking his music, after his concert last night.  He laughed (please permit me a little fangirl squee) and after thinking about it for a few seconds said that yeah, he'd say she is.  She hasn't listened closely to every single song and it's not like they play his music at home (I figured, that'd be kind of weird), but in general, she likes it.