What do you want to ask JoCo? (was: What do you want to know?)

Comments

• I like that little nod to the June 21st show in the SoTD notes.

I'm gonna try and request it too, but I've been wracking my brain, trying to figure out a good place for it to possibly go in the setlist. It feels like a show ender, but I'd think the point of Sweet Caroline is to go out with energy and on a high note. Maybe that's just cause I heard it as a show ender on the LGB podcasts.
  • So does anyone know what kinda guitar JoCo just accidently bought? String geeks want to know...
  • There is no meaning to it, other than he likes puzzles.
    I am very pleased by this, for an entirely personal reason, that may or may not come to fruition in many months time. Don't worry, I'll let you guys know.
  • You're planning a gift that isn't a Twinkie?
  • yes, I too am intrigued. It must have been a pretty rad guitar for him to just buy it on a whim like that.

His home studio already seems content. I wonder what he got? Also, is it gonna be on tour with him?
  • It must have been a pretty rad guitar for him to just buy it on a whim like that.
    That, or he's just that famous, that he has that much money that he can buy guitars on a whim now, whenever he likes.

Yeah, right.
  • So does anyone know what kinda guitar JoCo just accidently bought? String geeks want to know...
    Larrivee acoustic. Model info TBA...
  • Re: 'Overhead' - I also assumed it was 'overhead' in the business sense. But I took the whole song to be about a relationship, possibly a marriage, that's gone completely down the tubes and now the couple is staying together for the sake of staying together but they no longer know how to relate to each other (and the narrator has become something of a passive-aggressive jerk about it). That would explain the purchase of a folding bed--they've now gotten to the point of sleeping in separate rooms. So the other person has become the speaker's 'overhead', a dead weight--all this energy devoted to keeping the appearance of an intact home isn't getting them anywhere.

Of course, this interpretation may or may not be colored by past personal experience. :p
  • edited May 2008
    (I would resuggest what I said in the JoCopedia thread but I feel so ashamed)
  • I don't think it's an either-finance-or-aeronautics thing with "Overhead" -- I mean, it seems to go through both meanings and one more besides ("you see me overhead", "you are my overhead", "you fall heel over head"). Brilliant.
  • Larrivee acoustic. Model info TBA...
    He doesn't remember the model number...

"Er. Forget. Cutaway, slope shoulder, rosewood. Love the sound."
  • oh, awryone, what would we do without you pestering JoCo for info all the time? <3 You're like our fan liaison. Thanks.

Point is, JoCo is gonna smash the Martin cutaway at a show, isn't he?! Finally, a rock dream fulfilled!
  • And to make up for the tangent necromancy, a question about guitars: how much does one expect to pay at minimum for a good professional quality electric guitar, exactly? My experience with strings has been on the bowed acoustic side, and a pro instrument over in that world is going to cost in the five-figure range at least. Which is to say, that I've never owned a really good violin, but I've had the chance to play a $14,000 early 19th century French violin before and the difference between that and my $1400 Karl Knilling was... significant.
  • [I've never tried very hard to make sense of "Overhead." Like many Moxy Fruvous songs, I just let the nonsense wash over me.]

More questions and answers, please. :-)
  • JoCo is gonna smash the Martin cutaway at a show
    That would hurt me inside, it is not fair that he can smash such a nice guitar, it seems wrong in some way. I would rather he signed it and sold it than smashed it.
  • but, the rock dream!
  • also, @tindomiel, if you want to get into guitar, you should try and find some people who know what they are doing and get ideas from them. go to stores, check out guitars (how they feel, how they sound, does it feel right for you, etc.)

I'm in no way an expert on these sorts of things, but I just have a crappy starter acoustic, and it's worked out alright for me so far. (This is besides the fact that it only has one strap peg and isn't a cutaway. and also, I'm sort of wanting the kind of guitar JoCo has. His is smaller and seems more wieldy.)

Besides all this, guitars have a wide price range, depending on sound you want, electronics inside, brand, model, maker, etc.
  • Well, it was more out of sheer curiosity over how much JoCo might have spent on an accidentally purchased guitar--few violinists can afford to accidentally purchase an instrument. :) Although I am thinking of giving guitar a try...
  • Well...this is JoCo's Martin
    http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/000C16RGTEA.htm
    Larrivee's are nice guitars. Depending on the model it could be as much as twice that but I'm guessing it either matches it or just a little more.
    I wish he still made uke's and that i could afford one if he did!
  • edited May 2008
    As we all know, Benoit Mandelbrot is Still Alive and teaching math at Yale. I'd like to know if JoCo took any classes from him (or otherwise knew him, personally)..... and of course hear any related interesting stories.
  • actually, apparently, Mandelbrot retired or something.

And yeah, JoCo's guitars are high end, but also buttloads of money.
  • Lucky him. :(
  • Man, I needs me a cutaway.

Next time, maybe. When do people usually upgrade guitars? From a shitty starter guitar, that is.
  • when you have the money i think would be what i would say. I have a single pegged non cutway but i chose one without a cutaway on purpose not really regretting it don't tend to play anything that would require a cutaway. I have only been playing 6 months ish though.
  • ...I wouldn't really call $2000 "buttloads of money," considering that a professional quality version of, um, any other instrument (especially strings, I think) is going to cost you a hell of a lot more.
  • I'd like to know if JoCo took any classes from him (or otherwise knew him, personally).....
    He never had a class with him. AFAIK, this is the only link between them.
  • Looking at the photo of him in that link, I have to say that whomever did the chalk cartoon of him for the video sure captured him well. :o)
  • Added that photo to the Wiki.
  • From the "favourite moments" thread...

How exactly does JoCo prefer to be addressed in person/by email? Jonathan? Jon? JC? Jonnie C?
  • How exactly does JoCo prefer to be addressed in person/by email? Jonathan? Jon? JC? Jonnie C?
    He answers to Jon, Jonnie, and Jonathan.
    However, he will turn a deaf ear to John, Johnny, or Johnathan.
  • heh
    I once had a boss ask me how i preffered to be addressed and I said, "Rob, Robert, Robbie. anything but Bob." He later sent me an email signed, "Rick, Richard, Ricky anything but Dick!"
  • anything but Dick!"
    That's funny. We used to call people "Richardheads" in high school.
    FWIW, in person, I call him by all three acceptable forms, but whenever we speak on the phone, I address him as Mr. Coulton and he addresses me as Mr. Donoghue. Makes us feel, somehow, professional.
  • Awryone: You didn't mention JoCo, where does that fall on the list? I'm guessing it would sound stupid coming from someone he knows, but perfectly acceptable coming from a fan....
  • edited May 2008
    You didn't mention JoCo
    I have never heard anyone who knows him personally call him that, but like everyone here has probably experienced (or, at least, guesses) he is completely approachable and appreciative. (If it bothered him, he would never tell you so.)
    BUT, the fact that his signature has become JOCO, I'd say he's downright cool with it.

ET Ask: Why wouldn't you want to call him Jon? Or, Jonathan?
  • speaking only for myself, there is an implied degree of at least familiarity, if not intimacy, in the use of a person's given name that i do not feel is present in my case. he is famous and talented and i am a crummy fanboy. :P
  • Oh, don't put yourself down, three08 -- I'm sure you're an excellent fanboy.
  • Why wouldn't you want to call him Jon? Or, Jonathan?
    Well i have two answers really:
    1) coming from a fanperson perspective if you are a really huge fan chances are you have idealised him in every way in your brain. This at least it would to me would mean you would be really nervous when you see him, when people are nervous they revert back to things they always do.
    2) Few people call him Jon or Jonathan on the forums so you are not used to it and in your head he isn't really called that. It is sort of like asking why people don't call me Benjamin, it never occurs to them as to them my name is Ben. Same with JoCo, his name is JoCo or that is what is often used.

does that help?
  • So when is he going to do a cameo on "The Big Bang Theory"? He seems a shoe in.
  • edited May 2008
    does that help?
    Sure does.
    It's hard for me to see him as someone to get nervous around, but I can relate. If I were ever lucky enough to meet Liz Phair, I'd probably nervously call her something sexually inappropriate. She is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo HOT!
    So when is he going to do a cameo on "The Big Bang Theory"? He seems a shoe in.
    First reference to that show on the forums, I think. Love it. And you're right. He'd be great.
  • edited May 2008
    ET Ask: Why wouldn't you want to call him Jon? Or, Jonathan?
    Oh I'd be perfectly happy to call him either. I was just asking about JoCo out of curiosity, since it is how he's usually referred to by fans.
  • Yeah, I have a tendency to make a fool of myself in front of famous people. I was at a Lemony Snicket book signing, and Stephin Merritt was there too. He had done the songs for The Tragic Treasury, one for each book. (They're great. And clever. I've not really gotten into his other music, though.) Anyway, I went up there to get my CD booklet signed by him, and he was like, "who should I sign it to?" And I panicked, and was like, well, we're hardly on a first name basis here; I don't know you; you don't know me ... so, um, I don't know. Nobody. It doesn't matter.

I now have a CD signed by Stephin Merritt addressed "to whom it may concern."

:/

But yeah, provided I could speak coherently, I'd totally refer to him as Mr. Coulton. Part of that is the lack of familiarity. Part of that is the age difference. As a not-yet contributing-member-of-society, I feel compelled to treat those who are with a certain degree of respect, y'know?

But this is all just theorizing. I'd likely be slack-jawed and at a loss for words.
  • I now have a CD signed by Stephin Merritt addressed "to whom it may concern."
    But that's awesome. So much cooler than having your name there.
  • [@Shruti: I had a similar experience with JoCo, so one of my CDs is signed "Whatever you want." Oy. :-)]
  • A friend of mine had a great reaction upon meeting Yo-Yo Ma for the first time at a music festival: "ARK!"
  • I can just imagine meeting Yo-Yo Ma someday and immediately saying- hey! You were the guy that played music that one time on Sesame Street, aren't you?
  • "So when is he going to do a cameo on "The Big Bang Theory"? He seems a shoe in. "

:o I hadn't even thought of that! It should really happen, it's a great show and this would just make it awesomer! :D
  • Does Jonathan do all that fancy banjo picking for "Just as tall as me" and "Betty and me"?
  • I think so, since he plays the banjo. :)
  • And the mandolin too, I assume? I know I've heard a mandolin in some of the songs.
  • He does have both a banjo and a mandolin in his studio, so I think we can safely assume he plays both.