The "Coulton" - a measurement of Nerd fame.

Comments

• I use it to lift the mood upon an otherwise bad day.
  • Good usage, Jon Who.
    And, Hodgman has been very quiet today.
    Too quiet...
  • Yeah, because it's not that he could be doing something, because if he were doing something, he'd be Twittering about it. ;)
  • I love to read Hodgman's Twitter, but it is all so one-sided. He never calls. He never writes.

(Yes... you're right. I don't personally know the man. He's only my personal idol as someone who wants to be a writer. And I'm being creepy.)
  • How can you break Twitter? And why are we blaming Hodgman?
  • Yeah, because it's not that he could be doing something, because if he were doing something, he'd be Twittering about it. ;)
    Look at that! A pithy and funny comment, NOT about what you are doing, that is under 140 characters. You'd be a natural on twitter, and someone I would follow!
  • Sorry, but Twitter is so narcissistic. The idea that you can't put on pants in the morning without feeling the urge to Twitter about it is kind of sad.
    Man, I am so going to make my next Twitter about putting my pants on. If I can remember what my username is. Oh, here it is. If you feel like following somebody but don't feel like actually reading any messages, you could follow me (it might not be the smartest thing to do, but you could follow me.)
  • I would also follow Spiff. Then I could say creepy things about idolizing him too. :-P
  • How can you break Twitter? And why are we blaming Hodgman?
    He may have overloaded their server when he got responses to a direct question he asked of his 5000+ followers.
  • I'm now following angelastic so I won't miss the putting on pants twitter.
  • I would also follow Spiff.
    It's creepy enough to me to have people follow my videos and anticipate what I'm going to put out next, and act like I'm some sort of a bigger deal than I really am. The last thing I need is to feel like people cared what I had to say 140 words at a time. ;)
  • That reminds me of the fast and the furious, would go something like:

"I live my life 140 characters at a time, during those 10 seconds or less that i am writing it nothing else matters. I am free."
  • But Spiff, if you tweeted that your video was coming out, people who had notifications turned on to their phone would get a text message telling them that you had put out a new vid and they could rush to watch it asap!

Personally I tend to only tweet when I'm stuck in a boring meeting with only my phone to amuse me or when I notice I haven't tweeted lately and my last update was something which is now completely irrelevant.

P.S. Ben, thats a great quote! XD
  • Well changed it a bit to fit the context, the actual quote is about drag racing.
  • Does it help that I've never seen any of your videos, Spiff?
  • re: tweeting to notify people of a new video -- there's already a mechanism for that, subscribing on YouTube. Do people really need to know the instant I've posted a new video? You can finish your rigatoni before rushing to check out the video (see, I'd know they were eating rigatoni because they'd have been twittering about it since people can't doing anything without thinking it's worth twittering about. Ha! :).
    Does it help that I've never seen any of your videos, Spiff?
    No, it hurts. ;)
  • I was on dial-up before I moved here. I couldn't see any of your videos.

I'm sorry.
  • Heh, don't be sorry. They're not very good.
  • That's not what I've heard. ;-)
  • OK, some of them aren't bad... ;)
  • there's already a mechanism for that, subscribing on YouTube.
    Does it notify you via txt though? I believe I have subscribed to you on YouTube and have never had a notification of any kind =S
    Do people really need to know the instant I've posted a new video?
    Need? No. Is it cool though to get a text update about what someone on the other side of the world is doing when you're in the middle of boring ole work or blobbing out in front of tv? Definately!

Mainly twitter is for the novelty value imo. If you find it cool, go for it. If it seems pointless to you, maybe give it a pass ;P
    For me, I *want* to find it useful, and trust me, I am a connoisseur of useless but cool things on the internet, and try as I might I just can't fully subscribe to the idea. Maybe if I was a few years younger I might. Right now between forums, wikis, skype, emails, last.fm and facebook I feel that I am fairly up to date ;)

But it is always cool to subscribe to people like JoCo's tweets and get a little glimpse into his life that ordinarily we wouldn't get!
  • I think the mistake is in trying to find Twitter useful. I love it, but don't find it useful.
  • Wait, so Twitter sends you a text message on your phone whenever anyone you're following does something? Doesn't that mean that you're constantly getting useless text messages all day? Are we sure that Twitter wasn't created by the cell phone companies to rack up airtime?
    I think the mistake is in trying to find Twitter useful
    Crystal clear now. Best... explanation... ever.
  • Doesn't that mean that you're constantly getting useless text messages all day?
    One of Paul's (of P&S) recent tweets would seem to indicate that the answer is yes.
  • You can set the notifications to email or text or totally off. I'm still not sure if you can set different notifications for different followings. Like if I wanted to get txt updates from one person I'm following but not everyone. I shall investigate.

It's ok Spiff, no-one's forcing you to sign up ;)
  • edited May 2008
    Like if I wanted to get txt updates from one person I'm following but not everyone.
    Click on the link to see who you are following, and then select whether you'd like to receive notifications or not.

I only know what someone has twittered when I check the site. No charge, and lots of crack-ups.
    I think the mistake is in trying to find Twitter useful
    Crystal clear now. Best... explanation... ever.
    Is comedy useful? Are the movies useful? (For therapy, maybe...)
    Usefulness is not the point.
    Guys!!! Is just FUN.
  • 0.0023 Coultons!

most of those would be random people who're following several tens of thousands of others, no idea why...

and yes, I don't even use twitter to say what I'm doing most the time, although since I started, I don't think I've actually missed a day (but I may have got lucky by posting at 1am in the morning before going to sleep then not posting the rest of the day)
  • Where have I heard this essential argument before?
    A pair of boots are, in every sense, better than Pushkin.
    That's right. Dostoevsky poking fun at nineteenth-century Russian nihilists.

What did they use for Godwin's law before Hitler and the Nazis showed up? Nihilists? Anarchists? ;-)
  • Damn dirty apes?
  • It's ok Spiff, no-one's forcing you to sign up ;)
    Whew! ;)
  • @awryone - For the record, after saying that the mistake is in trying to find Twitter useful, I said that I don't find it useful but I love it anyway.
  • I don't know nuthin bout Twitter, but this thread got me digging around on JoCo's Twitter page, and Isaw this:

"Just watched the third edit of SF DVD shoot. It rules. I think we're almost there."

I'm not sure if that's 'useful' or not, but it made me happy!
  • I would call that useful... and happy making.
  • I don't find it useful but I love it anyway.
    Exactly how I feel about Pushkin!
  • For the record, after saying that the mistake is in trying to find Twitter useful, I said that I don't find it useful but I love it anyway.
    I know you love it. (I follow you, after all.)
    I was just trying to win Spiff over. I'd seriously love to see what comedic relief he could offer my day-to-day in 140 characters or less!
  • Maybe we can convince him to start a thread here. :-P
  • I think I could rock the Twitter, no question. Anyone can be funny if you've got all day to set up a joke. Being funny in 140 characters or less sounds like a real challenge. And it's easier to be funny when you're having a conversation where you can play off of other's words. From what I can tell, it's only a pseudo-conversation with Twitter, where you can reply to someone else's tweet but someone following you needs to then go after the original statement, which complicates the efficacy of clever rejoinders.

But honestly, it sounds like more work than I want to do. ;)
  • I don't twitter, though I do enjoy the sound of birds in the morning, and am prone to calling people twits frequently. Twitter sounds like some sort of electronic geek cell phone comedy haiku to me. Am I close?
  • Sounds about right to me, JoAnn. At least, that's what some of us use it for.
  • I don't follow you
    but I know someone who does
    and I follow him
  • Wrong thread. :-)
  • From the Onion:

• Anyone can be funny if you've got all day to set up a joke.
    I wish. I am entirely not proficient enough at being funny.

I like Twitter in theory, but I feel like it could be better organized, and I never have anything clever to say.
  • Spiff, I see your twitter related cartoon and raise you a Penny Arcade one:

Linking it rather than embedding the img because it contains NSFW language and erm...themes.
  • Ceridwyn, I see you haven't read the thread...tsk tsk. Agent Lex posted that yesterday.
  • I like Twitter. The character limit forces the soul of wit (that is, brevity). Also, Microblogs allow me to just post ideas that I'd just put away and forget otherwise.
  • Confused by what is meant by Bio...
  • biology? like, natural human functions?
  • I uspected as much. But also thought it would be for Biography.