Movie Quote Game

Comments

• No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser.
  • Re: Mark's quote: I knew the actor straight off -- you really can't even read the line without hearing it in this person's voice. Pretty sure I had the movie right, and Google confirms...
  • awryone- "We bought a VW van, I had to sell all my Star Wars figures that I had, and ask my dad to co-sign for a loan" OK so it is P&S and not JoCo, close enough.

No idea about the movie quote by the way.
  • I did the google search and found it. I had no idea that would work. I won't give the answer since it wasn't out of my own brain. I love every movie that actor is in though.
  • I figured this was an easy one. I can't even count the number of times I've seen this movie. (And no, it's not RHPS.)

For the record: yes, it's a well-known actor in a classic film.
  • edited April 2008
    I dated the daughter of the actor who played a police officer in the beginning of this film. That same actor ended up being an original cast member of General Hospital, playing Dr. Steve Hardy.

Another hint is that the director appeared in all of his own films.
  • Bump. Seriously, nobody knows this one except awryone?! Again, for convenience, the quote is:
    No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser.
  • edited April 2008
    It looks like, through obscurity of movies, this has turned into a 3-person game, and none of them want to answer any more :P
  • Seriously, nobody knows this one except awryone?!
    Well, since I'm very bad at coming up with movie quotes to ask about, I've DQ'ed myself, but to be fair, even without Google I knew a hawk from a handsaw.
  • I rest my case!
  • I don't know if I count as one of the three, but I don't know the quote.
  • I've never actually SEEN the movie, but it seems to sound like something out of Psycho?
  • Based on the reference to Mother? No, but you're warm.
  • edited April 2008
    Trouble is that with this being directed by my favourite director, I can't actually narrow it down to one movie.

ETA: Google didn't give the answer until the director was added, it's been a while since I saw that one, but it is one of his better films, and I did have the actor right.
  • OK, so I got tired of waiting for the answer and looked it up, and now know what film it is. If I say what the name of the last movie quote was from, is that cheating? Cause I really want to put in a quote from one of my all time favorites-

I'm a god. I'm not *the* God... I don't think.

I guess I did put it up after all there, huh...
  • edited April 2008
    Well considering I'm pretty sure every one who reads this thread doesn't know and/or looked up Mark's quote, I vote we just ignore him (No offense, Mark~) and move on with JoAnn's much easier quote, which I know quite handily: Groundhog Day. :D Don't drive angry!

Considering everyone considers my proposal acceptable:

EDIT: Removing my quote so Rob can move on with the chain. I'll hold it 'til I win one~
  • edited April 2008
    I'm going to drop a few big hints:

It's a Hitchcock film starring Cary Grant. It isn't "To Catch a Thief" or "Notorious". Per IMDb, "In 2007, the American Film Institute ranked this as the #55 Greatest Movie of All Time."

If that's not enough for someone who hasn't looked it up to guess it, I'll provide the answer this evening and choose a successor.

ETA: JoAnn seems to have some momentum, so she's officially my successor as of this moment. I'm still curious whether anyone will be able to guess this one.
  • I come back from the weekend and it's chaos!
    North by Northwest!
  • So does Rob or Mitch get to go now?
  • Mitch yielded to Rob.
  • *gah, I am here to much. I saw that and immediately put the words "boring manager" in front of his name...
  • actually I was Yielding to Mitch but just answering Mark's so we wouldn't have two unanswered quotes out there.
  • Far be it for me to stop the line from moving. My entire conversation suite is based around quoting TV and movies :p

Returning from the previous post, my quote:
    The bitch hit me with a toaster.
  • edited April 2008
    Scrooged!

Here's my quote (so I can be reminded again that it is mostly males in this thread :-P )
    A woman never goes anywhere but the hospital without packing makeup, clothes, and jewelry.
  • Just because I know it's not the answer and will continue to make Mucka go "Tsk" at men:

Sex and The City: The Movie?

/duck
  • *sigh* Men...

Was that the response you were hoping for? :-P
  • Postcards from the edge?

And I personally see most events in life as song cues. Pity know one else ever seems to know their words, much less the tune.
  • Hint: This movie was made in the 50s and would not be considered a chick flick.
  • Joann, I know exactly what you mean. I always feel like the tiniest word phrase or inflection makes me start thinking of songs, and usually one that no one around me will recognize.
  • edited April 2008
    mmmm...Grace Kelly
    Rear Window

Yay, confirmation.
    I always get the fuzzy side of the lolipop
  • Absolutely... My favorite Hitchcock flick.
  • Ooh! I should have recognized Rear Window!
  • Can we please stop quoting movies that are considerably older than I am. I feel like the people who complain to me about all my 80s references, and I don't care for the comeuppance :P
  • what with all the young, nimble minds around I feel like it gives us old farts an equal shot.
  • Both the movies I quoted came out more than ten years before I was born. I don't see it as a generational thing.
  • edited April 2008
    Hehe... my friends have almost gotten used to me saying, 'I have a song about that!' when they're talking about something that no right-minded person would write a song about it. I can really relate to Carrie Dahlby's song, Everything's a Song.
    (edited because I got the artist's name wrong.)
  • I didn't say it was a generational thing.
  • Ok...this is also an old movie, Directed by Billy Wilder
  • what if we asked an old timer and they knew? Would It count?
  • See, it's not like I don't know *anything* about movies before I was born: Hell, I took a History of American Film class; I was forced to sit through the entirety of Birth of a Nation. Citizen Kane is still in my Top 3 of all time. I knew the Casablanca quote :p.

I just find that, as I mentioned on another thread, the stuff that sticks in your head is the stuff that happened when your mind's eye opened up to the medium. So while Scrooged and Heathers may not be as good a movie, but it's the one that I'm gonna quote in my head over and over.
  • I love my dead gay son.
  • Heathers
  • I'm pretty sure awry was just riffing off my mention of Heathers. In fact, "Corn Nuts" was already quoted earlier in the thread.
  • @MitchO: What's wrong with people using the movies they know, even if that means movies considerably older than you? I'm only 26 and I'm doing just fine, along with being one of the folks using older movie quotes.
  • I once again refer to the aforementioned unpleasant comeuppance :p
  • nother hint.
    The character who spoke this line played an ukulele.
  • Think I'm on to this one, Rob -- is the most famous line in the movie the last two words spoken?
  • Some people think so but nobody's perfect.
  • Some like it that way -- no accounting for taste.

I'll hold my tongue for now, but I'll chime in if no one answers before it's nine days old.