Movie Quote Game

Comments

• Heh, it sounds like Igon from Ghostbusters, but I know that's not it.
  • You know, I always thought of my self as a move buff, with my huge DVD collection, but I haven't got a clue on any of these quotes. I haven't seen most of the films the quotes are from.
  • robgonzo's goin' WAY back.
    The African Queen. Nice.

"What a tragedy! An insane mute will win the Pulitzer Prize!"
  • wow...good job Awryone.
  • edited April 2008
    Yes. But, I stole it in homage to the film it's from originally.
    Very funny, though, Mark!
  • I had a hunch. I'm not sure where you got it from, though.
  • OMG awryone! Is that Shock Corridor?
  • YESSSSSSS!!!

Game on.
  • I will quote my favorite movie and someone will undoubtedly get it right away.
    When you're in love with a married man you shouldn't wear mascara.
  • Erm, you realize that we're mostly male on this thread, right? :p
  • Yes. It isn't a chick flick. It won the Academy Award for Best Picture at one point.
  • To be honest, the image that comes to mind when someone suggests running mascara is Tim Curry in RHPS. He wasn't chasing after any married men in that movie, though, and it sure as hell never won Best Picture.
  • Cards for sorrow ... cards for pain ...

(Ducks)
  • Oy... men.

This is why I don't date them. :-P
  • The Apartment.
    Great movie. Great performances.

I have obviously done nothing but watch movies my entire life.
  • Me too, awryone. ;-)
  • D'oh! I should have recognized that one!

I guess I've just seen RHPS too many times, and it blocks everything else out...
  • Someone give us a quote before I randomly take over~
  • Please. I've hogged too long.
  • OK, let's cleanse the pallete a bit. This should be easy:
    And you: friendless, brainless, helpless, hopeless! Do you want me to send you back to where you were? Unemployed ... in Greenland!
  • The Princess Bride
  • Inconcievable!
  • Don't think anyone is going to argue that so your turn there mtgordon.
  • - Liebchen - sweetnessheart, what watch?
    - Ten watch.
    - Such much?
  • Yeah, I tried to come up with at least a vaguely "not instantly recognizable" quote, since there are dozens and dozens that are blatantly obvious. I just watched Princess Bride with a friend of mine in an currently being reconstructed old school theatre. Let me tell you, no matter how many times you've seen the movie, when Andre's head is the side of an entire old movie screen ... it's still impressive. :p

I know Mark's quote, but don't want to back to back, so I'll leave it open for others.
  • I love Mark's quote -- the movie in question is filled with so many classic lines that sometimes I forget that even the dialogue that didn't end up on AFI lists is wonderful.
  • edited April 2008
    The greatest movie ever
    Casablanca.

Why is there a watermelon there?
  • edited April 2008
    The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
    Dying when you're not really sick is really sick, you know?
  • I've still gotten none of these. Not even the Princess Bride one.

I'm gonna sit in my sad corner now :(
  • I will join you Lex, me too- And I have actually SEEN some of the most recent ones posted!?
  • *joins also*

We're gonna need a bigger corner. So far the only one I've recognized was the Office Space one but I was too late to answer.
  • edited April 2008
    OMG one of my all time favorites: Better Off Dead! "Do you know the street value of this mountain?" :D

I don't know how well this is going to come out, but I think it'll be obvious enough:
    VALLOWINK EEN EES GRANDFADDA'S VOOTSHTEPS! VOOTSHTEPS! VOOTSHTEPS! VOOTSHTEPS!
  • Ooh, that's one of my favorites! Young Frankenstein
    Cornnuts
  • edited April 2008
    And now back to my all time favorite: Heathers.
    Killin' generals could get to be a habit with me.
  • The DIrty Dozen?
  • Easy one:
    Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.
  • edited April 2008
    Glengarry Glen Ross
    ET fix spelling.
  • "You were going 70 miles an hour in a 45-mile zone. Could I see your license, please?"

"Those little pieces of paper with your picture on it?"

"Yes."

"Oh, I don't have one."

"Come again."

"I don't have one. I don't believe in them."

"How long have you been driving?"

"About forty-five minutes..."

One of the best scenes ever filmed. I didn't have the heart to break it up.
  • edited April 2008
    Dr. Strangelove?
  • Were there any cars in Dr. Strangelove? Actually, were there any non-aerial vehicles? (A wheelchair, I suppose.)
  • edited April 2008
    oh, wait... thats the cold war spoof movie huh... the one with all the bomber planes... Aww, man. I have no idea why I thought it was something else. I should remember, my teacher did make our class watch it when we learned about the cold war. (He was somewhat of a nut, that movie wasn't very educational)

ETA: Maybe I just won't try to use my brain at night. It seems to malfunction.
  • "Not very educational" from a factual point of view, perhaps, but I think it does show something about the Cold War mentality / mindset -- we forget nowadays that a lot of the rhetoric in "Dr. Strangelove" was real stuff that real people were saying and believing. (Not the P.O.E. stuff, but the -- well, the "mine shaft gap" comes to mind, for instance.) It's a hilarious movie even if you don't think about the context, but if you pay attention to the context you do get a decent, though obviously distorted, view of how people thought about things "back then"...
  • [@Bry and the other 30-somethings: Remember The Day After? I was 13, and my blood ran cold at the sight of that mushroom cloud.]

I have no idea what that quote's from, awryone. I apparently stink at this game, primarily because I haven't seen a lot of these movies being quoted.
  • HInts?

That scene was with one of the title characters during a tree rescue.

I remember The Day After and it scared my little brain thoroughly.
    Also, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, is one of my favorite comedies. If this game goes on, I'll use a lot of Kubrick.
  • edited April 2008
    Well, based on the clue I'm going to randomly guess Greystoke.

I remember The Day After also. Back then, I had this odd concept that these "landmark miniseries" were so important that I had to record them and keep the VCR tapes. I also recorded V, and Amerika. You remember that one? The whole "the Russians won the Cold War and took us over" for some reason was scarier to me than the bomb.
  • Harold and Maude?
  • edited April 2008
    Mark for the win.
    Game on.

ETA: MitchO...That Amerika with the backwards(Russian) K? Scared shitless!
    Ended up doing a play and eventually touring the southwest in a VW van with one of that miniseries' stars, Don Reilly.
    Haven't thought about that in ages. Thanks.