Eeek, Gender Confusion! {AKA "Where is it okay to argue?"}

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
I for one know how it feels not being sure whether to use he's or she's online, and Borba half suggested the idea to me, so it's his (or is it her?) fault.

Simple concept, post your gender. At least I assume it's simple. I might also change this top post to include all responses to save trailing through.

Male
Jon Who
BorbaSpinotti
Bry
Paladino
mtgordon
MitchO
(Agent) Lex
MaW
CoultonFan_#314159
KeroHazel
Dr. Perry Cox
Randy
robgonzo
SaintPeter
shaggyJD
Christophano
Gle3nn
awryone
Spiff
gamith
askwho
Al
kerrin
Nangamar the Anagram
Brick
Vanderdecken
dantes
BenS
ManFriday
romanv
Mess_iah
Rider101
The Clinger

Female
Shruti
jinx
Colleenky
Angelastic
Schnappi
muckalarkuary
bugdog
Gina
jesss
surfercat
OnlyThis
c4bl3fl4m3 (Not present ATM)
IndigoMonkey
I LUV CALI
Tindomiel
lovinsem
pdxgrrrl
elishabet
limekle
JadeSnake
LaDeDa
trixiescamp
Betty
LilMarauder
Percephene

[some of the updates by Bry]

Comments

• I'm male, and a little curious about why Borba thought I was female, but not at all offended. (Seriously -- I feel as unslighted as though you'd told me you thought I was, say, Lutheran, which I'm also not.)
  • evil male
  • I'm male.
  • edited March 2008
    hey not male
    evil male
    its a difference :P
    thx
  • I'm beginning to notice a pattern...And it becomes clearer to me why I think almost everyone here is a he, unless they are called Gina for example.
  • jon dident you know gina is male
    (kidding)
  • When I played EQ, everyone assumed that names ending with "A" were female. I know at least two guys who changed their character name out of frustration. I just assumed "Bry" was short for "Bryan". And I would hope it's clear that I'm male~
  • It is now...
  • edited March 2008
    Hi, I'm female. A first?
  • Well, first officially.
  • ok jon that kind of sounded weird
  • What, this is the official method of gender determination via a forum, my statement was accurate. How can it be weird?
  • think it was just to accurate for my mind to comprehend
  • Male here.

And for note, I prefer "Lex" rather than "Agent"
  • Ancient female. Kind of like a Norn.
  • I wish I could give you a simple answer why I thought you were female, Bry. It isn't as if I was consciously pigeonholing, but at some point when it became clear you're male, I realised I was forming a female mental picture. Please accept that any post-rationalisation sucks in a case like this, but here's the best I can come up with: You came across as a stickler for language, and somehow that triggered a reference to a female archetype for me. (No need to fill in further blanks: the mental image didn't go as far as putting your hair in a bun.) Maybe it's the moderator thing as well; my perception of your forum steering skills also painted a female picture - and that is a compliment.
  • Before I met Bry, I had a mental picture of him as a kind of easygoing Jimmy Kimmel.

I think you've been gender-confused because he can be so gosh darn NICE.
  • Colleen actually means girl, and my parents had no sense of irony about it. ;-)
  • Male.

< Witty comment pending >
  • Because everyone knows that men on the whole are jerks.
  • hehehe
    < wittyer comment pending >
  • Chromosomes: XY

Too bad the forum doesn't have little gender markers.
  • No, I was just thinking of the dreaded Stereotyping. I know quite a few nice males, Bry being one of them.
  • edited March 2008
    do i count as nice? :P
  • See, KeroHazel is one I'd have put down as female. Most likely because I know 3 Hazels.
  • I was male the last time I checked.
  • better check agien to be sure
  • @Paladino: Do you want to?
  • @jinx: i dont know :P
  • Female

<wittiest comment ever forthcoming>
  • Is there some witty comment fairy? One thing about wit, is it supposed to be instantaneous or what?
  • angel won
  • Okay, then we won't stereotype you. Well, except for assuming you're blond.

And that you drink coffee from morning to night.

And that you eat a lot of meatballs.

Oh, and that all your furniture is modern.

But that's hardly anything, right?
  • edited March 2008
    The gender issue scratches the surface of a lot of stereotyping and pigeonholing though. I don't like to think I treat female forum members differently than male ones, and yet it's impossible to be a robot about it. Monkey perhaps.

ETA: Oh, yes, Angelastic! I can't even begin to think why I put you down as male. Call me openminded then - the "Angel" part didn't have the least bit of gender-marking or campness about it then. I think I'm demonstrating that mondegreens extend beyond lyrics. Are all misreadings Freudian slips? Are all metaphors puns in disguise? We'll find out sooner or later.
  • Thank god SPiff was joking when he said we were all computer programs, else you would be so wrong right now. I failed beta. :D
  • It's okay, Borba, I misread your name as Barba and assumed you were female.
  • Well, just in case anyone was confused, I'm a guy.
  • Male. : )
  • @Jon:

Your comment gave me a good laugh. I've been mistaken as female online before, but not in awhile. I always thought it had to do more with the "Kero" part and its relation to girlie anime characters.
  • Ich bin ... female.

It appears my German-speaking skills fail me outside of quoting cartoons involving singing reptiles.
  • *is a girl, last she checked*
  • female over here
  • Female --- Duh! (That's the extent of my wit.) Put my name on that list!
  • I am not just a male, I am a MAN! Grr!

I have the paintball welts to prove it. I went paintballing today with my buddies for their 40th birthdays.

(ok, I'm actually normally kinda a wuss . . . but paintball seems manly)
    (Also, feel free to stereotype me, since I enjoy shattering others illusions)
    (I am also enjoying extended parenthetical comments (and nested ones as well))
    / Maybe we should do the FARK one-liner comment thing
    // Or maybe not
    /// it gets silly/dumb, probably
  • I'm a dude.
  • @Gina: My husband worked with a man who went by "Gina." That wasn't his given name but he used it for quite some time specifically to challenge people's gender expectations.

@Pete: I've gotten paint ball welts before. (And fencing bruises.) Am I man too? ;-)