JoCo in the Media

Comments

• Here's a recent interview, from Perfect Sound Forever online magazine.
  • did that just come out or did you just find it, Jmonkee? I noticed it's a bit dated now that he's started working with Flansburgh.
  • edited October 2010
    I noticed that too, but it does seem to be newly published (from the October/November 2010 edition). I assume they did the interview a long time ago, and just got around to posting it. It does seem like it could be a year old. So I guess referring to it as a "recent interview" was a poor word choice on my part :)
  • FWIW, I think what Simalot's calling "Shopping" might actually titled "Alone At Home."
    This picture seems to answer that question once and for all if anyone was still wondering... "Alone at Home" it is!
  • I just got an email from a guy at TIME Magazine. They did a JoCo interview/feature video (in which they discuss my vids and the phenomenon of fan creations in general) and he asked me to spread it around the Netterwebs so people will see it. Go see it, people!
  • Good video. Wow, back then Gle3nn didn't have the silent 3
  • Loved it!
  • I guess this is the most appropriate place to post this: I was watching the series finale of Legend of Neil and Jonathan Coulton does a remixed version of the intro theme. http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/legend_of_neil_307/ (warning: NSFW). Both Molly and Paul & Storm did the intro to some of the previous episodes, too.
  • Thanks Encubed!
    In the nerdist podcast, Chris Hardwick mentioned that he and Mike Phirman (Hard & Phirm) were doing a theme cover and that they heard JoCo's and thought it was awesome. I've been waiting for it to show up since then. Should have guessed it was in the finale.
  • Wow… I'd never seen Legend of Neil before. Is it my imagination, or is that Gauntlet rather than Zelda near the beginning?
  • Seems JoCo was recently back on A Bit Of A Chat With Ken Plume. This one's quite interesting--he spends about half an hour talking about the songwriting process for the new album.
  • edited December 2010
    JoCo, Hodgman, Paul and Storm will be on the TWIT holiday show with Leo Laporte. They are recording this Tuesday so you can watch it live on TWIT at 3:30 Pacific or download the podcast later.
  • edited January 2011
    not specifically JoCo but related. John Hodgman was recently on Wits radio show (along with Neal Gaiman and John Roderick) he reads from his books including the bits that mention JoCo. The whole show is good but the part about JoCo begins at 33:50

http://vodpod.com/watch/3882682-john-hodgman-on-minnesota-public-radio-is-the-opposite-of-woebegone
  • Found this video on youtube that shows some JoCo Easter Eggs in the (preview of the?) video game Left 4 Dead 2. There's a juke box that plays Re:Your Brains and Still alive.
  • A fellow named Dave Ganssle did a short video interview with JoCo at PAX East, in which they discuss working on the new album and who thought going on a cruise would be a great idea.

Dave also interviewed Paul and Storm, which is possibly also of interest to this audience.
  • Nice interview with JoCo up at Guffaw Minnesota. They talk about whether Jonathan is a musician or a comedian, the new Portal song, Neil Gaiman, and Jonathan tells a joke.
  • Jonathan featured on NPR. In which we learn (roughly) how much money he made last year.
  • edited May 2011
    Wow! O_o. JoCo is seriously pulling bank. So, I'm off to give him $20 more dollars again. Just because I can.
  • I wonder how much of that is due to touring and how much of that is through sales.
  • edited May 2011
    Jonathan interviewed on Sarcastic Gamer (during which the Jocoo Crose is referenced)...

Edited for inadequate use of parentheses & ellipsis.
  • New video interview on "The Rise to the Top" blog. I don't have time to watch it right now (it's about 40 minutes) so not sure what they talk about.
  • Nice plug at the end for the cruise and new album. Overall, it was an interesting interview, but nothing I didn't know already. Definitely a good intro for new fans and those on the fence. JoCo was looking a bit hermit-like in the video. The beard seemed almost sentient... and hungry!
  • Just watched/listened to that interview. When Jonathan and David start talking about "playing a custom guitar with your foot up on the amplifier and rock out", I start picturing this Jonathan Coulton/Billy F. Gibbons hybrid. Snakeskin boot perched on a beat-up Tweed Deluxe... fur covered Z-shaped guitar running through a half-dozen distortion pedals... chest length beard and jet black shades... rockin' out on "Good Morning Tucson"...

I think I just broke my brain.
  • When he mentioned the custom guitars I thought of this. The custom guitar made for him by Fat Man and Circuit Girl.
  • BTW, JoCo's joke from Guffaw Minnesota...
    My favorite joke… Oh, jeez. Man, you’re putting me on the spot. Maybe I don’t walk such a fine line between comedian and musician. Maybe we just answered the question. Jokes, jokes jokes… you know what I’ve always loved is… I love the joke about the piece of string who walks into a bar. The bartender says “We don’t serve strings here.” So the string is very sad and he goes outside, and he stops a man passing him on the street and asks him to tie him into a little knot and then to pull his ends apart so he’s a little fuzzy and he goes back in and the bartender says, “Didn’t I tell you we don’t serve strings?” And the string says, “No, I’m afraid not.”
    What I think is funny is that I've heard (and told) that joke about a million times and have NEVER thought about the string being sad. That's JoCo for you.
  • An interview with Ellen McLaine (not technically "JoCo in the Media" I suppose, but close enough, right?)
  • edited June 2011
    I just noticed that the latest free edition of Lyrics Undercover uses Code Monkey as a backdrop to speak about JoCo.
  • edited June 2011
    Interviewed in A Bit of a Chat with Ken Plume. (I'm only half through - it's over two hours).

ETA: Also, includes an extremely brief teaser preview of the new album, at the very end!
  • edited June 2011
    I heard the following songs from that brief snippet (there are 2 or 3 that I could not identify from the clips played):

Sticking it to myself
      Artificial Heart
      Nemesis
      ?
      Good Morning Tucson
      ?
      Down Today
      Unnamed Song About marriage?
      ?
      Now I Am an Arsonist
      Sucker Punch
      Today with Your Wife (I think, mostly sounds right)

This is about the order I heard them in.
  • I'm pretty sure Jonathan also said that if you purchase the new album you get a free autograph, and a kiss from Paul or a hug from Storm. That's a verbal contract, right?

I couldn't identify the other snippets either, but I did not think it was possible for me to be more eager to hear the studio album.
  • and a kiss from Paul or a hug from Storm
    Aw man, how can I decide?!
  • @ Angelastic - buy two copies and you don't have to choose? ;-p
  • @ Angelastic - Buy twelve and you can have 'em both for the night? :P
  • I hope someone lets Paul and Storm know about the services they offer. Although, according to the podcast they like being touched without warning by strangers. I'm sure it will be fine. (;
  • I've already had a lap dance from Paul (during Frogger), so I guess I'll have to go for the hug from Storm.
  • I get hugs from Storm with no purchase required, so my choice is obvious.
  • Say, here's a thing I found randomly: JoCo sings "Midnight Train to Georgia" with the Yale Whiffenpoofs back in '93

Man, dude sounds so YOUNG.
  • @skyen and everyone else: check out @awryone's Downloads page for that and more Coulton rarities!
  • I almost forgot that I intended to express jealousy and curiosity about @chicazul's free hugs from Storm. Are they better than you'd imagine a kiss from Paul would be?

I think, for the sake of fairness, that Paul and Storm should promise something from Jonathan for people who buy their albums.
  • @Bry Wow, young Jon is YOUNG! Must be the lack of the full beard in that picture on the download page. Man, Jon was meant to make it big. He was great way back when.
  • edited July 2011
    So, that's a different download page from the one I remember, and it reveals two interesting things that the other one did not. 

1. @awryone apparently calls him Jon, so either @paulandstorm [P] was wrong or they were being picky about the semicolon.
    2. As alluded to on that page, there's another song hidden on the site, called Undone, with lyrics by @awryone. I'm sure you can find it (though I'm not sure you can all download it as easily as I did, since I have a license for QuickTime.)
    ETA: What's more, I just realised that even though I've known of the existence of that Midnight Train to Georgia recording for ages, and knew where to get it (unless the link was always broken on the page I knew about?) it wasn't in my music library and it doesn't sound familiar. Listening now.
  • edited July 2011
    Not sure if this ad by Hodgman & Coulton has been posted before or not, but it was new to me (and made me laugh (but that's hardly unusual)).

That is all.
  • Found a new little interview with Jonathan by Metromix in advance of his Saturday show with They Might Be Giants. Not a lot of new ground, but he does say this about the new album:
    I'll do a CD release later in the year, I think, and I'm also planning on doing a pre-sale package where people can spend a little more money and get a bunch of commemorative stuff, a poster and a signed copy and maybe a vinyl version. I'm still working all that out, but I think that's a really neat thing, to get a nice bundle of goodies, so I'll probably do that as well. 
  • BryBry
    edited July 2011
    Not too much new, but still not a bad call-out in The Onion AV Club's interview with Flans today:

AVC [AV Club]: [...] In the theme of changing up and not repeating yourself, are
    there other artists you want to work with?

JF [John Flansburgh]: Yeah. I just produced an album for Jonathan Coulton, and
    that was a very, very exciting process for me. And if there are any
    people out there as talented as Jonathan Coulton, I want to work with
    them. I enjoy the production process, though I think working with
    Jonathan spoiled me forever, because he was so receptive to the
    challenges I would put out in front of him. I would very sheepishly say
    something that I felt was kind of crossing some boundary. It’s a part of
    collaboration, but as somebody who’s worked with producers, I know how
    destructive certain things can be, and you really don’t want to simply
    be challenging somebody in a non-constructive way. And he was always
    game. He worked so hard, and with such focus, it was very interesting.
    It made it all seem much easier than it really is. I think most of the
    time you’re dealing with people with acute cases of divaticulitus.

AVC: Of what?

JF: Divaticulitus. You know, divas. People who are deeply in
    love with themselves. I thought everyone had gotten their divaticulitus
    shots.

• @kate pointed out this great interview with JoCo and John Flansburgh, done before a recent show. Topics covered include writing funny songs, being classified as geeks, Artificial Heart, and why Jonathan is not the same name as John.

Speaking of Artificial Heart, there is a fancy new press kit up. New bio, new hi-res press photos, downloadable mp3 of Nemeses!
  • Heh. Well I guess that answers my question:

My mother taught me early on that I should get very angry at anyone who calls me “Jon.” Because my father’s name is John, and my grandfather’s name is John. And mine is Jonathan.
  • edited August 2011
    In an interesting coincidence, a British man has just become the first UK patient to be fitted with an entire artificial heart.

Clearly, IRL "Better" is now a very near future.
  • @angelastic re: your question. I usually refer to him as Jon since this comment by @awryone in which he seemed to indicate it was ok. On the other hand, @awryone is one of his oldest friends and I guess growing up with someone gives you leave to call them something that they, as an adult would not normally prefer. I still call my brother Joey even though everyone else calls him Joel.
  • edited August 2011

The plot thickens. Perhaps it's okay to shorten his name as long as there's no h and no semicolon?

Edit: I forgot to say to @skyen that somebody should give that guy a copy of the album.

• I'll be sure not to call him John; then.