Favorite Songs List

Comments

• I will reply by reposting the list in alphabetical order. ;)

4- Baby Got Back
    3- Better
    1- Betty and Me
    5- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    9- Code Monkey
    2- Creepy Doll
    3- Dance, Soterios Johnson, Dance
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    6- First of May
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    11- The Future Soon
    4- I Crush Everything
    1- I Crush Everything (Demo)
    4- I Feel Fantastic
    3- IKEA
    5- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    1- Lady Aberline's Muumuu
    2- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mandelbrot Set
    1- Millionaire Girlfriend
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Beige Bear
    1- My Monkey
    2- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    7- Re: Your Brains
    6- Shop Vac
    10- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    2- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    3- That Spells DNA
    1- Tom Cruise Crazy
    2- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View
  • edited May 2008
    My votes (note that picking just 5 was one of the most discomforting experiences I've had):

Better
    The Future Soon
    I Feel Fantastic
    My Monkey
    Madelaine

4- Baby Got Back
    4- Better
    1- Betty and Me
    5- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    9- Code Monkey
    2- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    6- First of May
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    12- The Future Soon
    4- I Crush Everything
    5- I Feel Fantastic
    3- IKEA
    5- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    3- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Beige Bear
    2- My Monkey
    2- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    6- Shop Vac
    10- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    2- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    3- That Spells DNA
    1- Tom Cruise Crazy
    2- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View

So many songs had to be cut and it pained me greatly: ALL of Where Tradition Meets Tomorrow and OBOOCA (except Womb with a View, it just doesn't resonate with me), Dance SJ Dance, Flickr, Millionaire Girlfriend, You Ruined Everything, I'm Your Moon, Shop Vac, When You Go, You Could Be Her (my favorite uber-bitter song), De-Evolving, Over There.

It's weird though, I wouldn't put Code Monkey, Re Your Brains, or First of May among my top favorites for listening to, but when I do karaoke it's most likely one of those three...probably since I feel they would get the best reaction from audiences. I mean, I used to love all of them dearly, and I still do, but I don't think they're as good as others. I sang Skullcrusher Mountain once and it went completely over everyone's head. But the lyrics went completely over everyone's head, unlike Re Your Brains which is way more straightforward to understand.
    Anyway, just some rambling thoughts.

Edited to add explanation for my picks:

Better - just love the relaxing tune, the clever lyrics. I love how the first few lines come off as a regular song and it's not till halfway through the first stanza(verse? is stanza just for poems?) till infrared geeks it up completely. The 'It's not me, it's you' line makes me grin every time.

The Future Soon - I feel is JoCo's most perfectly crafted song. The way the lines are constructed to rhyme is just ingenius ("Turns out she's smarter than I thought she was; She knows I wrote it, now the whole class does too). The completely superfluous 'spacelab in space' is so unnecessary in the song, but it's cute and fun in JoCo's signature style. The only thing that bugs me is I'm not sure why he sings 'the look of pity' when performing live, because I really miss those two words.

I Feel Fantastic - Wow. I love this song. Probably my favorite fast-paced song. I love blackcatbonifide's music video that didn't end up winning that contest. I think it goes hand in hand with the song and what first turned me on to it within the JoCoeuvre. It's got almost a million views now which makes me strangely happy.

My Monkey - such a sweet and catchy song, and the 4-part chorus makes me melt. Who knew that using the word monkey over and over again could be so good? (Apparently JoCo, since he did this exact same thing again with Code Monkey - what a fraud :P). When I first heard this song (one of the first JoCo songs I had heard) I thought it was a song about his penis and I was mildly offended and going to dismiss him as a serious artist (oh snap, Da Vinci's Notebook!) but I'm glad I stuck through and eventually came across his Thing a Week info post which had me give the song a couple more listens and fall in love with it.

Madelaine - Maybe it's because I've been through the whole 'girl is immature and confused, doesn't know what the hell she wants, it's driving me crazy and I just want her to decide if she wants to be more than friends or not' which ended up with me ending the whole friendship/wanting to be more than friendship because it was driving me crazy. This was about five years ago now so I'm completely over it, but it's not like the song reminds me of bad memories, but it's more like I wish I had written this song around that time if I had any musical composition skill. Also , I love Love LOVE those hard, raw sounding chords in the second part of the verse (listen to them through earphones if you haven't, I find my laptop speakers don't do them justice).

Wow, that was way longer than I intended.
  • Thanks, Encubed! That was exactly the kind of response I was hoping to elicit by starting this thread...
  • That was awesome, Encubed, you definitely made me think more about those songs - the "spacelab in space" thing, in particular ... I mean, that line never really struck me as particularly cool before, but yeah. It's such a perfect instance of that touch of ridiculousness that makes JoCo's songs both entertaining and somehow more meaningful, you know?

(It kind of reminds me of the idea of "Dr. Stephen T. Colbert, D.F.A." , if you watch The Colbert Report...)
  • "Spacelab in space" is one of my favorite lines (probably my favorite in that song), and I'm always hoping someone else will get it too. From what I can tell, it's never as big a laugh line as I wish it were, maybe because it takes a couple seconds to sink in.
  • 4- Baby Got Back
    4- Better
    1- Betty and Me
    5- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    10- Code Monkey
    3- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Drinking With You
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    6- First of May
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    13- The Future Soon
    4- I Crush Everything
    5- I Feel Fantastic
    3- IKEA
    5- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    3- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    1- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Beige Bear
    2- My Monkey
    2- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    6- Shop Vac
    11- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    2- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    3- That Spells DNA
    1- Tom Cruise Crazy
    2- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View

I have added "Drinking With You" because it captures that sweet tension in the beginning of a relationship. "Creepy Doll" is one that my son plays on orchestra bells (he is a great percussionist) and it reminds me of a Bach Fugue Motif. "The Future Soon" is not humorous to me. As with many JoCo songs, I hear the insecurities of teenage angst and the creative ponderings of the Wonder Bread Years (I am REALLY dating myself) Code Monkey and Skullcrusher Mountain are exquisite both musically and lyrically.
  • This is so hard. There are so many that I just love. And furthermore, my favorites are always changing. So I'll just go with the five that are currently getting the most play on my iPod. Of course in another month or so it'll be a different five, but for now we have:

Mandelbrot Set
    That Spells DNA
    Skullcrusher Mountain (Demo)
    Flickr
    Under The Pines

4- Baby Got Back
    4- Better
    1- Betty and Me
    5- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    10- Code Monkey
    3- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Drinking With You
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    6- First of May
    1- Flickr
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    13- The Future Soon
    4- I Crush Everything
    5- I Feel Fantastic
    3- IKEA
    5- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    3- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    2- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Beige Bear
    2- My Monkey
    2- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    6- Shop Vac
    1- Skullcrusher Mountain (Demo)
    1- Someone is Crazy
    2- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    4- That Spells DNA
    1- Tom Cruise Crazy
    1- Under The Pines
    2- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View
  • (Javier: Any reason those are your current favorites?)
  • (Javier: Any reason those are your current favorites?)
    Mandelbrot Set has always been one of my favorites (I'm a math geek) and has never fallen from the mountain. I actually made a poster sized Mandelbrot Set and took it with me to my first JoCo show. Naturally, he played the song. That poster is in my bedroom now.

That Spells DNA is just a catchy song that I really like. I've never heard him play it live, but that's probably because P&S would need to learn the sequence of nucleic bases for the back up vocals (but how COOL would THAT be?)

Skullcrusher Mountain is another one of those that I somehow don't tire of. A while back, I put the Demo version on my iPod just to mix things up a little then discovered that I really liked that version of the song. (I think I also prefer the acoustic version of The Future Soon.)

Flickr is just a nice song. You can enjoy it even if you've never seen the video (provided you don't try to make sense of the lyrics). I love the way he melodically croons "Dwyer's rocking out on air guitar." It's a rather new addition to my iPod; when I listen to it, I like to imagine either the slides from the official video, or how I would do it if I were to make a fan video.

Under The Pines holds a special place in my heart. It is a song that moves on and off my iPod (I have an iPod Shuffle; I load it up with a playlist of 50-100 songs that I leave on for several weeks, then I change it up). It's a nice melodic song that makes little sense if you don't know what it's about. And if you do know what it's about, it's a nice melodic song that's funny as hell. For my second JoCo show, I brought an Under The Pines prop (which I gave to JoCo and he tells me it's in his daughter's room. When she asked him what it was he told her "It's Spock.") and sure enough he played the song. (I think this may be the only time he's ever played it live.)
  • You know, I never did this.

+1 I'm Your Moon. This is #1 with a bullet for me. It's just so ... perfect. I truly feel this is one of the most romantic songs of all time.
    +1 Shop Vac. There's a moment, after the first chorus, when you realize "he just said she's crying? And now all these things are so ... sad."
    +1 Screwed. Boba Fett and Indiana Jones? Yes please.
    +1 The Future Soon. Another vote for "space lab in space" as a brilliant line.
    +1 Big Bad World One. Yes, all five of my songs are kind of sad and a little pathetic. This is the perfect example. JoCo epitomizes "wistful" to me. It's clever, it's emotional, and it uses the word "crudite".

(Non vote special mentions go to Mr. Fancy Pants for being my JoCo connection with my son, Re Your Brains for being my JoCo initiation and IKEA for the oft mentioned brilliant rhyme of Norsemen/divorced men).

4- Baby Got Back
    4- Better
    1- Betty and Me
    6- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    10- Code Monkey
    3- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Drinking With You
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    6- First of May
    1- Flickr
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    14- The Future Soon
    4- I Crush Everything
    5- I Feel Fantastic
    3- IKEA
    6- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    3- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    2- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Beige Bear
    2- My Monkey
    2- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    1- Screwed (Demo)
    7- Shop Vac
    1- Someone is Crazy
    2- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    4- That Spells DNA
    1- Tom Cruise Crazy
    1- Under The Pines
    2- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View
  • Javier, did you make that Spock doll? Impressive!
  • Javier, did you make that Spock doll? Impressive!
    I did. Thank you!
  • Bry: Thanks for askiing Javier to expand on his answer!

Javier: Love the Spock doll, and the live version of Under the Pines......
  • Thanks for expanding, Javier! I loved your responses, and the props thing is genius. Mitch, perhaps a Kermit doll for 6/21? And I love that moment in Shop Vac, and although I've heard you mention that I'm Your Moon is your favorite, I always enjoy seeing you talk about it, because it is such a wonderful song and you speak so well about it. I love hearing people talk about things they enjoy.
  • Javier- love the Spock doll, and the recording. Hey, he called you his creepy friend at the end there, right? So if we make a doll of you, that would be a creepy doll...
  • JoAnn,

Even I might find that doll creepy. ;-P

~Javier
  • Was just thinking about this thread, and how I hadn't bumped it often enough. We've had some new people join since the end of May, and we have some old people who haven't replied yet...
  • The very best thing, for me, about Jonathan Coulton is the fact that he is not a one-hit-wonder. His prolific output, coupled with his skill as a singer/songwriter, leaves me in a constant state of discovery. Thing-A-Week, etc. translates to "Favorite-A-Week." This week, it is "Dance SJ Dance." Last week it was "Octopus." The week before that it was "A Talk With George."

I played "I Feel Fantastic" for a group of 14 year old kids I was schlepping around town the other night and they went NUTS over it.

I played "Shop Vac" for a group of middle-aged suburban couples another night last week and THEY went NUTS. Something for everyone, at every age for every mood.
  • Thanks for bumping this Bry. I keep thinking about the brackets tournament I wanted to do. If the word association thread ever dies I might try doing that as a reward and use these ratings as seeds.
  • hmm, Shop Vac went from being one of my favorites, to being one of my favorites because I learned how to play it, to being depressing once I really thought about the meaning behind the song, back to being another great JoCo song that I saw performed live.

I don't know what to think of suburban hell. Lotta depressing songs this week, with this and Bozo's death.
  • What does it mean when the Jonathan Coulton song I'm currently playing the most is actually a Paul & Storm song?
  • edited July 2008
    to being depressing once I really thought about the meaning behind the song
    Wait til you see the video I'm making for it. Another not-happy (yet still hillarious) ending, I'm afraid. :)
  • Wait til you see the video I'm making for it.
    A Spiffworld Shop Vac video? I can't wait!!
    The very best thing, for me, about Jonathan Coulton is the fact that he is not a one-hit-wonder. His prolific output, coupled with his skill as a singer/songwriter, leaves me in a constant state of discovery.
    I agree. And I sometimes rediscover some of his songs which I've listened to before but never fully appreciated. For example, I just added My Beige Bear and Todd the T1000 to my iPod mix and I couldn't be happier.
  • I'm trying to picture the ShopVac itself...
  • Clearly it would be a gnomish invention. I wouldn't want to spend much time downstairs with a Goblin Shop Vac.
  • Ka-BOOM!
  • My 5:
    Screwed
    A Laptop Like You
    Gambler's Prayer
    You Could Be Her
    Soft Rocked By Me

(Although, if you went by the Play Count in iTunes, it would be W's Duty, That Spells DNA, Chiron Beta Prime, Re Your Brains and Tom Cruise Crazy. Definately more indicative of how long I've had those mp3s rather than how much I like them, although I do LOVE W's Duty, I think the 5 I picked are all better songs.)

Reasons:
    Screwed - Beautiful tune, great lyrics

A Laptop Like You - Just very very funny to me, the idea that someone would sing a love song to his laptop, especially when its not immediately obvious he's singing to his laptop not a lover.

Gambler's Prayer - As with Screwed, beautiful tune, great lyrics, and I just think its hilarious, the idea of a guy praying to God to give him luck with the cards. Favourite line: "I'll show them my hand, You'll show them Your wrath" Brilliant.

You Could Be Her - I don't entirely get the content of this song but I love the tune of the chorus. Its just so cool sounding. Not to mention my disdain of the BA degree (we say it stands for Bugger All here) so I find that line very ironic.

I Crush Everything - The poor squidy! He makes me so sad. He just wants to hug the pretty boats :( And he hates his beak. Wonderful song.

I seem to like the simple guitary ones. And I noticed I picked 3 demo songs. Interesting. I have to admit I don't like the more produced songs, I appreciate them and still listen to them, but I really love the sound of JoCo's voice + JoCo's guitar.
    That's why I'd desperately love to see him live as the vids I've seen really give a new dimension to the songs.

Updated:

4- Baby Got Back
    4- Better
    1- Betty and Me
    6- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    10- Code Monkey
    3- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Drinking With You
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    6- First of May
    1- Flickr
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    1- Gambler's Pray (demo)
    14- The Future Soon
    5- I Crush Everything
    5- I Feel Fantastic
    3- IKEA
    6- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    1- A Laptop Like You
    3- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    2- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Beige Bear
    2- My Monkey
    2- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    2- Screwed (Demo)
    7- Shop Vac
    1- Someone is Crazy
    2- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    4- That Spells DNA
    1- Tom Cruise Crazy
    1- Under The Pines
    2- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View
    1- You Could Be Her
  • Wow, Ceph -- that's a surprising bunch of favorites! Three of them I basically never happen to listen to (Screwed, Laptop, YCBH), one I've never had any way to connect with (Gambler) and one from your iTunes list (W's Duty) I avoid listening to because the man's voice drives me berserk.

You are making me go back to re-listen to those songs and find out what I've been missing! (Well.... except the Duty. I don't think I can get past the voice thing.) Anyway, thanks!
  • edited July 2008
    Hehe I love W's Duty, its so happy and bouncy and silly. I used to drive my hubby bonkers by playing it on repeat for hours, hence the 47 plays on iTunes.

But yeah it is a fairly left-field list of favs going by the fact that I had to add almost all of them to the list myself!

I hope you enjoy re-listening to them, I think they are all beautiful songs! I had to go back and listen to them again too!

I don't own many of the mp3s, mostly just the free ones, as I don't have money spare in the budget for buying music but one day soon I hope to fork out for some more, so I play them off his store when I want to hear em!
  • I love W's duty. I have W's duty in a playlist with this song of W doing Sunday Bloody Sunday. (The play song link is top right. Free to download)
  • edited July 2008
    I like Laptop like you, and I like that little hammer-on riff in the song. What I wish was different was if the song was somehow called something else, so the "twist" that it's a love song to a computer isn't given away so easily. But that's nitpicking.

I like Screwed simply for its references to Dr. Jones and Boba Fett.

You Could Be Her, I go in and out of liking. Though, that bridge section that leads into the solo is pretty sweet.

You listed Soft Rocked, but explained your love for I Crush Everything.

As for sampled voice songs, I like See You All In Hell, and I'm warming to Rock and Roll Boy.
  • Whoops yeah I listed Soft Rocked but then went through the songs coz I knew there was one I loved more than that and must have only replaced it in the one place. Sorry bout that.
  • Oh, yeah, the first couple of times I listened to Rock and Roll Boy, I could not stand it. And then I couldn't believe it when it grew on me and now I actually like it. It's pretty sweet, and I like the idea of JoCo thinking this kid is doing his best and helping make his dream of being a rock and roll boy come true, in a way.

But I don't think I'll ever like See You All In Hell.
  • I think it's just the line "Left Arm not working. I fear nothing anymore." that gets me giggling.
  • See You All In Hell has grown on me somewhat. Resolutions never will, I'm afraid.
  • From scanning the Music section from top to bottom; so in no particular order:

Make You Cry*
    When You Go*
    Code Monkey
    The Presidents
    Tom Cruise Crazy
    A Talk With George
    Re Your Brains
    Shop Vac*
    Baby Got Back (Cover)*
    When I'm 25 or 64
    Podsafe Christmas Song
    Skullcrusher Mountain
    Ikea
    Millionaire Girlfriend
    First of May
    Brookline*

*Top 5
  • Oh I forgot Better!!! How could I forget Better? I LOVE that song!!! Can we do 6 songs pleeeease?!?
  • Rules is rules!
  • In no particular order:
    Kenesaw Mountain Landis
    Re Your Brains
    Over There
    We Are The Champions
    That Spells DNA
  • Since it's unfair to the song that this list started after its release, I'd like to petition to have my vote for Screwed changed to a vote for Space Doggity.
  • edited September 2008
    went back and looked at my earlier list, which was

Shop Vac,
    Skullcrusher Mountain,
    Big Bad World, One,
    Madelaine, and
    I Crush Everything,

and i think i have to make some changes. shop vac will never budge because that's my number one, all time, but i think i have to knock big bad world, one off for lady aberline's muumuu. i never even watched mr rogers very much as a kid, but i need more soothing music in my life, and the themes of childlike innocence and fantasy are ones that frequently occupy my mind.

i crush everything can't go either - too well-made, too high-quality. skullcrusher mountain also has a special place in my heart - the place that wants to kill all humans and raze every remnant of their society to the ground, that is - but i kind of want to find a place on the list for always the moon, and i think that despite my objections, noted elsewhere, to certain features of the song, it bumps madelaine. i like the simplicity of the music, the very stripped and basic sound. it's very appropriate to the emotional tone of the lyrics, so that taken as a whole it presents a very stark and striking picture of the narrator's feelings.

so:

Shop Vac
    Skullcrusher Mountain
    I Crush Everything
    Lady Aberline's Muumuu
    Always the Moon

1- Always the Moon
    4- Baby Got Back
    4- Better
    1- Betty and Me
    5- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    10- Code Monkey
    3- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Drinking With You
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    6- First of May
    1- Flickr
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    1- Gambler's Pray (demo)
    14- The Future Soon
    5- I Crush Everything
    5- I Feel Fantastic
    3- IKEA
    6- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    2- Lady Aberline's Muumuu
    1- A Laptop Like You
    2- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    2- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Beige Bear
    2- My Monkey
    2- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    1- Screwed (Demo)
    7- Shop Vac
    1- Someone is Crazy
    1- Space Doggity
    2- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    4- That Spells DNA
    1- Tom Cruise Crazy
    1- Under The Pines
    2- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View
    1- You Could Be Her

(amended to include my vote changes and mitch's.)
  • Oookay...

Skullcrusher Mountain
    Code Monkey
    I Crush Everything
    re: Your Brains
    and....
    I'm gonna go with
    Creepy Doll.

Skullcrusher: just works on so many levels, musically, humour-ly, lyrically, cleverness-y... The pictures it gives me are vivid! (A recurring thing I find!)

Code Monkey: To me it's architypal of JoCo.

I Crush Everything: cos until I heard it, I was the only person I knew who had ever written a song about a Kraken !
    (Only mine is serious... long story...)

re: Your Brains: Is brilliance in song form. The juxtaposition of workplace and civilized Zombies... (And I just crack up at.. "maybe we should compromise.. so if you open up the door...."

Last one was difficult... if this was a top ten I could have easily made it, but Space Doggity, Pull the String and I Feel Fantastic JUST beaten to the punch.
    Creepy doll, I like the musical box stylings, the "...and you are crazy!" The imagery of Creepy Doll works VERY well.

1- Always the Moon
    4- Baby Got Back
    4- Better
    1- Betty and Me
    5- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    11- Code Monkey
    4- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Drinking With You
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    6- First of May
    1- Flickr
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    1- Gambler's Pray (demo)
    14- The Future Soon
    6- I Crush Everything
    5- I Feel Fantastic
    3- IKEA
    6- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    1- A Laptop Like You
    2- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    2- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Beige Bear
    2- My Monkey
    2- Octopus
    1- Pull The String
    8- Re: Your Brains
    1- Screwed (Demo)
    7- Shop Vac
    12- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    1- Space Doggity
    2- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    4- That Spells DNA
    1- Tom Cruise Crazy
    1- Under The Pines
    2- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View
    1- You Could Be Her
  • Wow, you're quite mainstreamy there in your choices! For some reason I expected you to like the obscure ones.
  • Remember... I'm still a newb!
    I still haven't heard everything!

But I will..... Ohhh.. I will.....

(Anyway.. With my vote Creepy Doll only has 4 votes, And I *was* very close to Space Doggity and Pull the String, with only 1 vote each...so ... that means.... stuff!)
  • i did not, robotmlg. sorry! here is the amended list:

Kenesaw Mountain Landis
    Re Your Brains
    Over There
    We Are The Champions
    That Spells DNA

1- Always the Moon
    4- Baby Got Back
    4- Better
    1- Betty and Me
    5- Big Bad World One
    1- Bozo's Lament
    11- Code Monkey
    4- Creepy Doll
    2- De-Evolving
    1- Drinking With You
    1- Famous Blue Raincoat
    6- First of May
    1- Flickr
    1- Furry Old Lobster
    1- Gambler's Pray (demo)
    14- The Future Soon
    6- I Crush Everything
    5- I Feel Fantastic
    3- IKEA
    6- I'm Your Moon
    1- Just As Long As Me
    1- Kenesaw Mountain Landis
    1- A Laptop Like You
    2- Madelaine
    1- Make You Cry
    2- Mandelbrot Set
    2- Mr. Fancy Pants
    1- My Beige Bear
    2- My Monkey
    2- Octopus
    1- Over There
    1- Pull The String
    9- Re: Your Brains
    1- Screwed (Demo)
    7- Shop Vac
    12- Skullcrusher Mountain
    1- Someone is Crazy
    1- Space Doggity
    2- Still Alive (GLaDOS)
    1- Take Care of Me
    1- A Talk With George
    5- That Spells DNA
    1- Tom Cruise Crazy
    1- Under The Pines
    1- We Are the Champions
    2- When You Go
    1- Womb with a View
    1- You Could Be Her

i can't help noticing that 3 of your 5 picks are new additions to the list. i would be interested to hear you elaborate on why you exalt those above all the others.

(well, not 'hear', exactly, but you take my meaning.)
  • Can't we pick them all?
  • has everyone who has an opinion vote in this?
    somethings brewing based on this list.
  • oh...you might also want to update if newer songs have changed your selections.
  • I can't pick favourites, so here are my top 50 most-played Coulton songs in iTunes (warning: may over-represent older songs, does not sum the playcounts of different versions of the same track, which may be a good thing because if I have several versions of a song, I'll listen to it more simply because it will come up more often on random. But I find it interesting that all three official recordings of Code Monkey are in the top-50 in their own rights.) I'm actually surprised by the appearance of some of them, I don't tend to go out of my way to select When I'm 25 or 64 or W's Duty, for instance. So perhaps at the 32 plays level we're already hitting the random noise. Also, Space Doggity should be in there. I should make a list sorted by playcount divided by time since added to my library.

Playcount
    66 I Feel Fantastic
    64 Womb with a View
    60 The Town Crotch
    58 DNA
    57 Ikea
    55 You Ruined Everything
    55 Mandelbrot Set
    52 Still Alive (this is actually the Ellen Mclain version)
    46 Over There
    46 Flickr
    45 Podsafe Christmas Song
    44 Code Monkey (PG) 2
    41 First of May
    40 Todd
    40 Skullcrusher Mountain
    39 Christmas Is Interesting
    37 Better
    37 De-Evolving
    37 I Will
    37 Shop Vac
    37 Curl
    36 Code Monkey (PG)
    36 The Future Soon
    35 Bacteria
    35 When You Go
    35 Dance, Soterios Johnson, Dance
    34 Dance, Soterios Johnson, Dance (Demo)
    34 Millionaire Girlfriend
    34 My Monkey
    33 The Presidents
    33 I Crush Everything
    33 Betty and Me
    32 Re Your Brains
    32 When I'm 25 or 64
    31 Bozo's Lament
    30 W's Duty
    29 I Hate California
    29 I'm a Mason Now
    29 Till the Money Comes