Introduce Yourself

Comments

• Hi, Mike Selinker here. I'm a game designer and puzzle creator, and the president of the company Lone Shark Games. You might've seen my games Unspeakable Words, 12 Days, and Betrayal at House on the Hill on TableTop, or maybe played my new Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. I occasionally hang out with Wil and Paul and Storm and folks. I'm looking forward to spending time with all of you in a highly contained environment.

I have never been on a cruise, so I would like each of you to tell me one truth and one lie about what I should do on the trip, and I will try to figure out which is which.

Mike
  • @Selinker

Avoid karaoke at all cost, lest you face great embarrassment.

Attend everything you possibly can, even at the cost of sleep, health, and personal sanity.
  • @Selinker:

Try the cake; it's free and even available for midnight snacks, and some of it is delicious and moist.

Don't bother with the game room; half the games will probably be boring to you after the time you must have spent designing/playtesting them.
  • @Selinker:

When on the islands enjoying your excursions, don't worry about getting back to the ship by any particular time. They will wait for you.

Join in as little or as much as you like, after all you are on vacation.

• @Selinker

Try the cheese plate.

Try the key lime pie.
  • @Selinker:

Both of @Thalandorr46's dessert suggestions are lies.

Don't try to speak to any of the performers; they all have tasers.

• @Simalot I was to understand that one of these things was acceptable on RC.
  • @Selinker: Welcome aboard, Mike.

The best places to avoid unsupervised children are the video arcade and onboard pizza joint.

It's not advisable to refer to the Snorks as Snorks when they're in earshot.
  • Hi, I think I introduced myself on here a few years ago when my husband and I were going on JCC1. We're super excited to be going on the cruise again this year and I've posted a few things on the facebook as Paula Simone, so I thought I'd connect myself to my facebook personality or whatever. 

We live in New York, Astoria, Queens to be exact and I'm originally from San Diego. I'm a registered dietitian at a nursing home and i like to cook/bake vegan food, crochet, play ukulele, play board games and watch mystery shows and terrible movies. My husband Jason is a crossword puzzle/logic puzzle editor at a puzzle magazine. He also has a small game company with a few friends http://www.pantheonpress.com/

Looking forward to chatting with you guys! 
    Here are some donuts I made to watch the new Flowers in the Attic movie 

• @Thalandor46, neither are acceptable. :D
  • @Hollyros1 ;  I resemble that remark!
  • Welcome (back), @Pawluh!
  • Hello!  My name is Nick, and I'm a first-time cruiser.  My girlfriend Sarah (who's not on the forum, to my knowledge?) is ALSO a first-timer.  We're Viking-esque gamers and beer-nerds from the Seattle-area.  Sarah works at a brewery up here, and I work for the Big Evil outta Redmond.  We recently found my old collection of M:tG from 15 years ago, so we've been getting back into it.  We play a lot of boardgames, watch a fair amount of scifi/fantasy, and have a dog named Lita the Destroyer.

Our plans for the cruise are largely going to be relaxing in hawaiian shirts with fruity drinks and whatever boardgames we can pick up.  I'm hoping to either run or play in some RPGs, too, and I think we'll likely end up scubaing somewhere.  Because we're coming in from the other side of the CONUS, we're actually getting in early Saturday morning and not leaving until Sunday the 2nd, so if anyone's around and wants to tour about Ft. Lauderdale with us, feel free to ping.  We look forward to meeting you all!
  • Greetings! I am Above Mentioned Girlfriend Sarah, and I think Nick covered most everything.
  • Welcome Sarah and Nick!
  • Welcome Sarah and Nick! Nick, not sure if you've run into your fellow "Evil" Sea Monkeys, but there are at least two others.
  • @Selinker & @Heroofthedead (which at first I thought was "Heroof the dead") Welcome!

I too am a cruise virgin, but being a good Buddhist, you should do everything as needed; nothing more or less. If you haven't finished your game, stay up all night. If you haven't eaten enough, have some more. If you lack sleep, the gaming tables have room beneath them. If you are dry, go get wet in one of the 7 pools.

When all else fails, flag down the cruise director and ask her "what would Buddha do?"
  • I'm not a Buddhist, but I have been on the cruise before, so I would say instead: If you lack sleep, your bed is within walking distance. (That's one of the nice things about it being on a ship.) If you haven't finished your game, the people you're playing with know what events are scheduled in the morning, and how long it takes them to get to their beds, so will likely agree on how much of the night to stay up. The people you're not playing with probably know not to disturb the pieces if you leave it for the next day.

Hi, Nick and Sarah and Paula and whoever else I hadn't said hi to yet!
  • edited January 2014
    @jillwebb @violet..just saw the comment...I am excited as a kid going to the Redneck Riviera as the sail date nears...lets meet!
  • Hi, All.  I'm the creator of Artemis, and I'm looking forward to being part of JCCC4! I'll be bringing my own Artemis equipment, but I'm eager to work with Jon Riley, considering his excellent work last year. 

My wife and I have never cruised, but since we're stuck in the terrible winter of the midwest, we're beyond eager to go.  She just wants to fill her sunshine tanks. I'm always happy to think, talk, make, and play games.

I'll bring the newest version of the game, and can't wait to play with you all!
  • edited January 2014
    Welcome, @Techbear!
  • Glad to have you here, @Techbear! I expect you and your wife will both have an excellent time. (:
  • @fizzgig, your username sounds very familiar to me. I bet we run in similar circles.
  • @Heroofthedead I also work for a certain Redmond based company. Welcome!
  • Hi, monkeys! :)

I'm a new fan of Jonathan Coulton because of Ask Me Another, which recently got picked up here. So I've loved him as a singer since about November, but only began to appreciate his mad songwriting skills a few weeks ago, when I finally checked out this site.

I guess the best way to introduce myself is to tell you that I'm in my first year as an elementary school teacher. If you have ever been or known a first-year teacher, then you already know the following things about me:

I've gotten five colds since Halloween - the same number as in the previous six years combined.

I often come home from work exhausted, hoarse, with a bad headache and, I suspect, some permanent hearing loss.

I am haunted by self doubt, and while I don't regret my career choice, I wonder how long I will last before the principal catches onto my ineptitude and fires me.

Crazy parents have accused me of ruining their kids. Yes, that's parentS, plural.

So when I say I had a particularly hellish week late last month, you can imagine my physical, mental and emotional state at the end of that week. And when I say it was at this lowest point that I turned on the radio and heard *that* voice :) singing "Everything Happens To Me," and I began to cry and then, miraculously, to feel that things would somehow turn out okay, I hope you can see just how amazing and sublime the moment was. If you haven't already, give it a listen. It is at 6'55" into episode 223: "Foodie." I wish I could say it was a JoCo original that turned me into a monkey, but if it had to be a cover, I'm glad it was this one.

So, again: hi from a new and definite lifelong fan! I look forward to virtually knowing you. I'm massively jealous of everyone going on the cruise, but I do hope you all have a great time and I will be with you in spirit, pulling up images of Caribbean islands between classes and wistfully squinting at them.
  • Aww!  I hope your immune system levels up soon so that you stop taking such a beating.  Also, welcome!  :)
  • @Madeleine, I can tell you as a teacher with 18 years experience (in Kindergarten, Grade 2, Grade 4, and Grade 7) that after a couple of years teaching little kids, you will develop an immune system that will allow you to survive the plague that starts the zombie apocalypse.  Also, depending on your class, you will have all of the movements to dodge bites down pat.  
  • @Madeleine Welcome! I love AMA, too! I have attended a few tapings when they come down to DC. :)
  • @Madeleine, welcome aboard. And yeah, that sounds about right for a first-year elementary school teacher...
  • edited February 2014
    Thank you all for the welcomes and reassurance! So it sounds like I will eventually be able to avoid colds and bites, but not crazy parents or self-doubt, ha.

Wow, @GroovyFrood, eighteen years! I would love to pick your brain sometime. (Pick, not eat.) Like, if a kid is crying but another kid seems to be doing a good job of comforting her, I'm never sure whether to intervene right then, or follow up later.

@kate, it's a dream of mine to attend an AMA taping, so I'd love to hear all about your experience. Which episodes did you get to see? Did JoCo also sing the warm-up song before the show proper started?
  • @Madeleine I don't recall the exact episodes, but I have been to two.  I have not seen him warm up, but I know that they sometimes to do a run through-rehearsal prior to letting the audience in.
  • Drat. If you subscribe to the podcast, there's all these extras, and one of them is a performance of "Chiron Beta Prime," which he sang to warm up the crowd before the holiday episode. So I was hoping he did that before all the episodes.

I wish they would do a music round where it's all JoCo songs!
  • @Madeleine He does usually play before the "game" starts, but I didn't think of that as a warm-up. Sorry to be confusing!
  • edited February 2014
    I'm dropping in right at the last minute, but better late than never!

Hi everyone! My name is Keith Baker. I'm a writer and game designer, best known for creating the card game Gloom and the Eberron Campaign Setting for Dungeons & Dragons. I was onboard for JCCC2, but I missed out last year. I'm a fan of pretty much all the entertainers I've heard of, and hope to be a fan of the ones I haven't heard of after the cruise. I'm always interested in talking about games or geek matters, so please feel free to strike up a conversation if you see me around.

In particular, I have some new Gloom things to test and a new RPG I'm developing I want to try on new people. I imagine that I'll put up a sign-up in the gaming area, but if you're particularly interested in either one let me know!

I'm getting an error when I try to upload my picture, so if you want to know what I look like, check my website.

See you soon!
  • Hello.

I'm Not Louis CK, and neither are you.

See you on the boat! Tip your servers!
  • > Tip your servers!

Don't crash.
  • Hi, everyone, my name's Brian, and I guess I'm going to be on this boat thing. I hope you guys like me.
  • WHAAAAAAAT? @Bry's going on this boat thing?! Awesome! I already liked you!
  • @Bry on a boat! I like it. (One of us, one of us...)
  • BRY FINALLY CAVED TO PEER PRESSURE! :D
  • Hi, all.  I am Jason.  (We are Legion.)

I just got back from the cruise, and am ending years of silent fandom, hoping to keep in touch with some of the great folks I met along the way.
  • Bry, it was nice meeting you on the boat. Frankly, it was nice meeting EVERYONE on the boat, though! *laughing*
  • edited March 2014
    Hi Jason. (Hi everybody.) Welcome!
  • Hey, @fizzgig! Great to meet you too :)

Welcome, new forum people!
  • So evidently I created an account in February 2013, and never posted anything...

My name is Rachel Baker. I was on JCCC3 & JCCC4 with my husband, Stephen, so I guess I'm a new forums person, but not a new SeaMonkey. I own a used book store in Alexandria, VA, just north of DC. I've been nicknamed "Bookworm" since before starting kindergarten. Since Stephen & I both come from bookworm families, our library is pretty ridiculous, which is just how I like it!

Stephen got to DJ in the Labyrinth one night with a couple other SeaMonkeys on JCCC4, which was awesome. We also found out there is a HUGE population of DC SeaMonkeys, which makes me unbelievably happy! (DC is one of those places where there is a lot of turnover, so we constantly have friends moving away.)
  • I met @Bry! I actually met @Bry! In real life! I also met @mtgordon! I love the cruise; it turns the internet into reality.
  • I've been on three cruises with you guys already?  I have a lot of posting to catch up!  I'm a SCUBA diver, and make a living as an engineer with software archaeology/necromancy skills.  I'm also a math and science nerd (if the engineer-thing above didn't tip you off).

I became pseudo-recognizable on the cruise this year by screaming "EGGS ARE LIQUID MEAT" for my contribution to Joseph Scrimshaw's eggs-commercial skit.  I was also the guy who corrected Hodgman last year during the Rifftrax short film on cylinders (parabolas come from CONES, not cylinders).  The glare was memorable :)

I first heard of Jonathan in a video blog interview that Merlin Mann did with him (along with John Roderick) back in 2007.  Then my wife re-introduced me to him via Re: Your Brains; after playing Portal and Portal 2, I was pretty much in.
  • Welcome, Shane! #LIQUIDMEAT