Introduce Yourself

Comments

• Welcome Eric, Shawn and Susan!    

Eric- I'm a glorified Desktop IT geek myself and can't believe I'm still at the same place after 8 years (benefits, customers, comfort etc...)

• Um, gosh, am I the only person who didn't realize profiles were gendered? I just checked mine and saw that I'd been listed as a male all this time, possibly by default.  Nothing against males, really, some of my best friends have a Y chromosome, but not me.

Now that that's out of the way --

Hi, I'm Veevi, aka Aviva Rosenstein, from Alameda, CA (where the nuclear wessles used to be.) I'm looking forward to my third JoCo Cruise!  I first heard JoCo in 2008, in time to be in the audience for The.Best.Concert.Ever in SF, and have been hooked ever since. 

I cruised solo last year and am doing it again this year.  Professionally I'm a UX geek who tweets as @uxresearch (though I use @veevi with friends, including seamonkeys.)  Despite doing rather a lot of public speaking at conferences, I'm a bit of a shy introvert.  My best party trick is giving people glitter tattoos; painting glue and glitter on people turns out to be a pretty effective icebreaker.  I also play guitar and host the weekly meeting of the Tuesday NIght Nerd Girls' Club, which is the name of our band: we cover some of Jonathan's tunes (though perhaps with more enthusiasm than musical talent.) 

If you see me wandering aimlessly around the Crazy Water House, please say hello. 

• Welcome aboard, Veevi!
  • Hi,
    I'm Theresa. JoCo new bee.
    I'm wandering the forum trying to get a handle on things.
    This'll be my first cruise ever!
  • @veevi What a small world. I also live on the Island-that-was-a-Peninsula!  (As opposed to the Peninsula-that-was-an-Island a.k.a. Bay Farm).
  • Welcome aboard kumamore! :)
  • @veevi and @chaosdreamer, @semievolved and I are also island dwellers. We should all get together for some indoor mini golf sometime.
  • Welcome aboard, @kumamore!
  • I am new.  Live in Atlanta with my boyfriend.  I've seen JoCo maybe 6 times live now, twice in the past year.  I decided to join the forums in an attempt to talk to more people before going to JCCC3 in a couple months.
  • Welcome Theresa (your fez is en route!) and @Meretia! Have fun hanging out, and we'll see you next month.
  • Hey folks! I'm Spud (that's A.H.S. Boy to those of you Facebook-stalking the Sea Monkeys). Living in Baltimore, writing code and practicing the dark art of Dada. My lovely partner Steffi and I are cruise virgins, but if anything was going to get us on a ginormous boat, this was it! Sooooo excited we're giddy.

Props to Zoe Keating especially, without whom I'd never have known this was happening! I feel like I'm about to enter a whirlwind...
  • I'm AuntiLaura aka Womyn2me -- I wanted so much to do the  Joco cruise 2 and am thrilled that the third cruise is a go.  I do like the RCI ships so that makes it even better. 

I am the 51 (good god) year old body of a nurse-IT geek with the soul of a 14 year old boy or girl, depending on what rediculously inappropriate thing is available to do.

I cant remember how I found JoCo's bearded music but have gone to two concerts here in Seattle and had great fun. My love of IKEA may be at fault. I have a stolen sock of John Hodgman's from his last event here. It hangs at my work desk and kind of freaks people out when they ask why I have a formal men's sock on my board. I usually go with "I had to stop collecting celebrity scalps, it's racist." which no one really knows how to respond to.

My wife of 2 years/7 years/1 month (it really depends on who is counting) will be joining us all on the cruise, which made me happy although I was ready to solo. We are hoping for new friends, good times, drunken foolishness and more laughing that is technically legal in International waters.

see you soon.   
  • Welcome @spud and @auntilaura! Glad to have you joining us.

@spud I can't say it's NOT a whirlwind, but at least it's a pretty fun ride!
  • Hello All! So I am Derek...  My wife (Beth) and I will be on JCCC3, this will be our first JCCC, and our first cruise.  We are both looking forward to crazy times and getting to meet a bunch of new people! We tend to be a little shy...
  • Hey, Derek! The times will indeed be crazy but it's a whole lot of fun. Hope to meet you on the cruise!
  • Hey seamonkeys -- 

the non-representative icons are nifty, but wouldn't it be great if we could start associating names/nicks and faces now, so that we have some chance of recognizing each other in person next month?

(I'm introverted enough that going up to total strangers and introducing myself is challenging -- but if I recognize you from your picture at least I'll have the excuse of asking you "Hey, aren't you [CleverNickname] on the internets?")

If visual recognition cues seem like a good idea to you, please consider changing your profile thumbnail to A Recognizable, Reasonably Recent Headshot (ARRRH!)

thanks!
  • I used to have a variety of cute pseudonyms and avatars. But now I'm BrettGlass everywhere I can be, and my avatar is always a picture of me. Also, at geeky events, I often wear a pin with my Twitter handle (which, unsurprisingly, is @BrettGlass). Hopefully, this avoids any confusion....
  • @veevi  I pretty much look like my avatar but in REAL 3D(tm) and respond to Jeff 
  • @Oboewan check.. so you are part of the army of Stepto?
  • @veevi I am indeed quite honored to be a part of the Grande Army of the Stepto
  • @Oboewan can also be recognised by the Yoda and sometimes the oboe. Meanwhile, I look quite a bit like my profile photo (if I have braids, which I usually do after the first shore day) except there isn't always a Molly next to me.
  • Hi, I am Robert! 
    I'm a Pre-Monkey along with my friend, and cabin filler Matt who is playing Sir Not Appearing on this Forum.

I first encountered JoCo at my first PAX at 2008 during the friday concert. I was only able to attend for the one day, seeing as I had a flight back to Canada early the next morning. That one day is why I currently call Seattle my home.  Between Jonathan rickrolled the crowd, and everyone joining in as zombies for Re: Your Brains, it was bound to have an effect on me.

Since then I've gone to all the PAX Primes*, and to many JoCo shows, and learned of Paul and Storm, Molly Lewis, Marian Call, The Doubleclicks, John Roderick, and many more.

This past Friday I had a minor panic attack and resolved to do all the things to prepare for what is bound to be an incredible week. I decided to get over my aversion to forums. I can only assume that this will enhance my experience!

I have a twitter that matches my forum name, if that's of interest.

I am recognizable by my excellent hats, of which seem to be increasing in number, many of which will accompany me to JCCC3, in an effort to be recognizable, and protected from the giant ball of fire in the sky.

I've met a several of you already! Salutations! 

*doffs hat*

*At least, I will have once I perfect my time machine.
  • Welcome aboard @lostluck!  Let us know if there's anything specific we can help you out with.
  • Hello Robert! I'm one of the several you have met; I suspect you may recognise my username. (;

I strongly suspect that the first time I encounter you sans chapeau I will blithely walk by without any sign of recognition.
  • Thanks Thanlandor46! :D

Hi Sara! I will endeavour to wear interesting headwear as activities permit* to avoid confusion. ;) Unless I want to be invisible. 

*Note to self: Find an interesting waterproof hat.

• edited January 2013
    Hi Sea-monkeys!

We are newlyweds Kira and John, first time on JCCC and this will be our "honeymoon" (married in May last year). I am a big fan of Epbot and Wil Wheaton, as well as JoCo, who we saw open for TMBG and loved for life. We are among the introverted and perhaps on the younger side of this group (?), but are very much looking forward to meeting you. Unfortunately I have cut off all my bright pink hair and now look like my recent pic :)

See you soon!
    *Note: John is not the kitty!
  • Welcome, Kira and John! And congratulations, late. :)
  • Welcome to you both and I'll echo @autojim's Mazel Tov!
  • Indeed! Welcome, Kira and John! Congrats and best wishes on the recent wedding!
  • Hello, Sea Monkeys!  T-minus 3 weeks and counting!  We're already thinking about what to pack (and most importantly for me, which ukulele to bring.)

Missy and Scott Meyer here, giddy with excitement to be going on our first JCCC.  Scott is the creator of the webcomic Basic Instructions. I'm a small-time blogger and minion to the World's Largest Mouse here in Orlando.  Can't wait to spend some quality time with such an amazing group of like-minded geeks!
  • Welcome, @themissy and Scott!
  • Welcome, @themissy!  Scott's comic is one of my favorites.
  • Say -- it looks like @joelr added a column to his Sea Monkey Manifest site for interests (though it only allows you to list four of them, which for some of us is a bit limiting). Unfortunately, only a few people have filled it in! Might be a good idea for everyone to do so, so we have a better idea of what we have in common.
  • Greetings and salivations!  My name is Ned Keitt-Pride and I've been a big JoCo fan ever since my brother played Skullcrusher Mountain for me back in 2000-somethingsomething.  After catching him and PoSto at Jammin' Java later that year, I was hooked and have been happy that he (and they) have made it to Madison, WI several times over the past few years so that I could get my wife, Katie, hooked as well.

We will be joining the Sea Monkeys this year, along with our daughter (age 3)!  And with temperatures in the single digits today I AM SO FREAKING READY.   
  • Welcome, Ned!
  • @BigNed, it sounds like you may be local to the ever expanding group of DC Metro Sea Monkeys!?
  • Hello everyone! My name is Zoë. I play the cello. Looking forward to meeting many of you on the cruise. I'm a total JCCC newbie, so any advice to help me prepare is greatly appreciated!
  • Hey, look, it's ZOE!!!!!!!!!

There's a topic from last year's cruise, some of which is JCCC2-specific, but some is pretty general about cruising: A Newbie Guide to Cruising AND getting there and back again. And there's the JoCoPedia Wiki page on JCCC.

The main thing? Just have fun with it! :)
  • Zoe?  Cello?  As in...that Zoe?

Welcome! :D

Anything specific we can help you with?
  • Hi Zoe! We're looking forward to meeting you on the cruise as well! If there's anything we can do for you please yell. :)

• edited January 2013
    Hello, @lostluck, @Kersmitten, @themissy, @BigNed and @zoecello! I'm sorry for not saying hello yet. I hope to do so in person. You are all going to love JCCC.

For some reason the first piece of advice I thought of for @zoecello was to tape two cellos together and take them as one carry-on. It's probably not very good advice.
  • @ZoeCello Great to see you here! If the many cruise topics here do not answer your questions, please feel free to ask.
  • edited January 2013
    @ZoeCello welcome aboard!  Looking forward to meeting you and hearing some cello!  It's gonna be cello-tastic with so many cellists around.  *wonders if @chicazul is bringing hers this year*
  • @Oboewan I do hope to bring a cello, and still hold out hope that @Zoecello and Aubrey might be willing to do a cello meetup at some point. I should see about arranging a rental soon, though, as flying with George is not an option...
  • "Flying with George" is my Gershwin cover band.....
  • It's Harrison's 'Wings' cover band. 
  • edited January 2013
    Hi, I'm Tony. This is my first JCCC, and convinced my wife (Linda) to go. She said "It's your turn to plan the birthday trip. Make it somewhere warm." BOOM. I am her new god. What else? I work for Symantec (Norton Internet Security guys) and make ceramics pots & fireplaces. My wife works at the Cincinnati Zoo, running the cheetah show there. She actually took the photo in the Chill Cheetah/Cheetah Dad meme, and still works with Sahara (the cheetah). I'm very excited for the cruise, it should be a lot of fun! Or it will be horrible. Either way I will not be at work.
  • edited January 2013
    Welcome @ZeoCello, and @liquidsasquatch and Linda!  I'm going into the cruise assuming the default setting is awesome. I've never been on cruises either.

• Welcome, Tony and Linda!