Introduce Yourself

Comments

• Hi, I'm that other new guy!  Been listening to Jonathan Coulton for a bunch of years now, and I'm mostly joining at this point to talk about JoCo Cruise Crazy with folks (assuming I can get my time off approved at work).  Musicians that I like other than Jo & Co. are They Might Be Giants, Voltaire, and Hello Saferide.  Also, showtunes.

Apart from that, I'm a 24-year-old web developer.  I like video games, fantasy/sci fi books, page navigation on large forum topics, the ability to disable mobile versions of websites that remove important functionality, running, SCUBA diving, and native plants.  Probably other things that I'm not remembering right now.
  • edited July 2012

Hi everyone! I'm Patricia, my husband Ryan and I got our tickets for the cruise and are super excited. We are both twenty-eight, live in Wyoming (Garfield lied to you, it is real!). This trip will be our gift to each other for our ten year wedding anniversary!
        I love Sci-Fi and watch way too much TV. I had a good friend introduce me to Star Trek last year, and have since then watched Next Gen, DS, and Voyager. I am currently watching the orignals and just started Farscape, (yes, yes I'm a little behind the times) I love to read, Ben Elton is one of my favorite authors. I have to thank him one day because after reading a few of his books I started watching British shows, and Doctor Who may be my most favorite thing in the history of ever. Love the new Sherlock and got the biggest kick out of Black Adder!
       Ryan is a gamer, mostly PC, D&D, PS3, board games, Warhammer, really anything he can get his hands on. He loves comedy and is the one who introduced me to Jonathan Coulton.
       Sorry for the wall of text! Can't wait to meet everyone!!!!

• Welcome @triciaeneeb Where in Wyoming? My wife and I are from there originally.
  • Welcome, @triciaeneeb! I, too, am from Wyoming -- currently living in Laramie -- and so far have been the only Wyoming Sea Monkey. It will be good to have some company!
  • We're in Rock Springs, we are trying to convince 1-7 of our friends to come so there may be LOTS of Wyomingites!
  • Hey, I'm John, and I'm definitely a JoCo fan.  I first heard his music in the form of Still Alive back when Portal came out, but I never actually played Portal until when Portal 2 came out.  Playing Portal made me a fan of Valve, but I became so curious about JoCo that I listened to his music (the really popular stuff, like The Future Soon and Re:Your Brains).  I absolutely loved it, and became a JoCo fan.  I've slowly become more and more of a JoCo fan as I've listened to more and more of his music.  It'd be hard to pick a favorite JoCo song, but my top three would probably be De-Evolving, Shop Vac, and Alone At Home.  I hope to have lots of fun discussions on this board.  :)
  • Hello, hello!  My name is Varek but I often go by MetroGnome online (when it isn't taken already).  I live in Victoria, BC with my wife and 21-month-old daughter.  I'm 44 and run a small Java development team for a living.  Used to be a code monkey but now I guess I'm boring Rob.  ;)

I have been a JoCo fan since ... um ... a week ago!  I found him through the Humble Bundle.  I'm an amateur musician and a big fan/supporter of independent music so, when the music bundle came up I was pretty much on board without really checking into the artists too deeply.  One of my team mentioned JoCo so I started listening to "...greatest hit" and I haven't stopped!  Why have I not heard of this guy before?  Where the heck have I been?  Actually, when I finished my first entire listen-through of the album my language was much more colourful than that.  The writing and musicianship are simply stunning.

I can't nail down a fave but top of the list are: Re: Your Brains, You Ruined Everything, Still Alive and I Crush Everything.

So much more i could say but this is getting long so I'll leave it here.  Enjoy your cruise folks!  Colour me envious.
  • edited August 2012
    ImAloneAtHomeMetroGnome! There's always room for more music nerds!

also, hooray for another BC-Joco fan!
  • To one and all, 'allo. Come in 'ave a cup o' tea.
  • Hi. I'm a new fan of JoCo. I was first introduced to his work through Mitch Benn's podcast last year but I have only just started coming to the site.
  • Hello all, 

I am Heather, aka shinystarlet in fandom, a name born out of a love for Firefly and theatrics. Since the end of Smallville, Chuck and Eureka my fandom life has dwindled to Felicia Day stalking and Warehouse 13. 

I discovered JoCo via Stephen DeKnight, a writer/director from Smallville, who had a link to Re: Your Brains on his myspace.  Yup that was a while ago.  I was hooked and have been enjoying JoCo music with the same regularity that I do "Weird Al" and Broadway show tunes.  Translation= a lot!.  I have just returned from the City Winery in NYC where I have finally seen Mr. Coulton in person. He sang, Future Soon, I Crush Everything. His performance was part of Jon Wesley Harding's Cabinet of Wonders from NPR and it whet my appetite for a full-length performance. though, I think I missed out on the Cruise.  Although right now, I would not be able to attend. 

I am a 2nd year grad student studying to be a nurse practitioner.  I have been an RN for 20 years. My parents, being very smart people, would not let me study theatre full-time in college so I went to nursing school.  I also have a Bachelor's in Theatre.  The two professions together make sense.  "Yes, I promise this won't hurt a bit"  I came to NYC to pursue theatre full-time, but I kept wanting things like food, ski-trips, movies, hot water, etc.  Because I sold out to a regular life (however, I do love what I do) and put my artistic pursuits on a kerosene burner in my dad's motor home, I admire folks like JoCo who find the strength to persevere and be true to their passions. 

I look forward to interesting JoCo discussions. 
    And... I think that is enough for now.  

Heather
  • Welcome, @mikeyc0312 and @shinystarlet! Hope you enjoy the forums.
  • Welcome aboard, @mikeyc0312 and @shinystarlet. :) We're mostly harmless. :)
  • Armless but not harmless.
  • edited September 2012

Mostly armless....  one-armed Sea Pirate Monkey's we be

• Only because of that one sea pirate monkey who's been stealing everyone's arms for tharself. They're up to arrrrrm eighty.
  • Hi, my name is Wendy. I am a huge JoCo fan. Just wanted to say hiya.
  • I am an artist. I just wanted to share this painting I did called, "Dinner With Code Monkey."image
  • Hi, my name is Michael. My wife (storychick; she's around here someplace) and I are booked on JCCC3 (although I'm concerned about not seeing more confirmation notices) so here's the obligatory intro post. I'd heard of JoCo but didn't have any of his work until the Humble Music Bundle.

I like to build things, and play some games, and play some music. That's all I can remember because I made decaf this morning.

• Welcome, @MAShelley!

Can I be of assistance with your concern?
  • Hello, y'all!

My name is Laura and I have come to win at gin and lose at Scrabble. See many of you in February!
  • edited September 2012

@kate - thanks, I still need to see what exactly I have so far and then let you know.

update - I have a confirmation email, so I guess that's all I need at this time.

• Greetings, fellow primates!

My name is Adam, and I joined due to a recommendation while queueing for JoCo yesterday at Union Chapel. I had great fun playing Cards Against Humanity and watching Storm eat floor candy. Glad to be among fellow geeks here!
  • Hi, @AdTheMad! I believe I played Cards Against Humanity with you while queuing at Union Chapel. That was fun!
  • Hi I'm Fuzz, otherwise known as Andy,

Myself and my partner Nic (Daised) have booked for our first ever cruise (in fact this is our first proper holiday in 6 years) so to say we're looking forward to it is an understatement.

looking forward to seeing you all in Feb

• Hi @Fuzz, I've already swapped comments with @Daised. Seems we are travelling pretty much in the same direction. It'll be nice knowing me and the mrs are not the only britmonkeys on the cruise.
  • There's another britmonkey couple (@dooferlad and @frithuswith) that was on the previous cruises, so they might be back if you need anyone else to discuss tea and Jaffa Cakes with.
  • yay it's a @fuzz :) 
  • Hello Everyone!

My name is JJ, and I'm from Kansas City.  I've never been on any kind of cruise before, but always wanted to go.  When my cousin told me about this one, I just HAD to make it happen!  I'm a huge geek, and have been into table top and video gaming for years.  After watching some videos from the previous years and reading all of the great things I can expect, I am absolutely ecstatic to be a part of this one.  I'm really excited to meet all sorts of new people and make some new friends!

I do have a question though that I'm a little unclear on.  Is there anything in particular that I absolutely should bring?  I've got a few Magic decks and such, but as far as anything else, I'm a little unclear.  Any advice would be awesome!
  • edited October 2012
    Welcome aboard @sn0wman02!  You can find a ton of relevant information on the wiki, in other topics on this board, and in the Facebook group.  Sounds like you'll have a particular interest in the What To Bring And What To Leave At Home wiki page, which you can find amongst other informative pages here:

http://www.jonathancoulton.com/wiki/JoCo_Cruise_Crazy

Feel free to ask about any specifics!  See you in February!
  • Hi there,

My name's Jen. I'm a geeky gal who loves doing geeky things with other geeky people. I discovered JoCo a few years ago thanks to Chris Hardwick (aka Nerdist) and I've been feverishly learning as many of his songs on my guitar as is possible for a mediocre player.

I'm also a huge fan of karaoke, but only when it involves music not normally played at your average karaoke bar, such as Broadway musical soundtracks, obscure European pop band remixes and, of course, JoCo tunes. I like to leave main stream audiences with a look of "huh?" on their faces.

I've DL'd just about every JoCo Karaoke track available on the Karaoke page, and now I'm thirsting for more! 
  • edited October 2012
    Hi hi!

Just joined up to sort of poke around and pre-meet some folks and make some like minded friends before JCCC3 Yeah, shy people problems.  Having to meet friends before you meet them.  I know, I know.

I'm a relatively new JoCo fan; I had never heard of him before my fella introduced me to the music a year or so ago and then I had a near permanent IKEA earworm for weeks.  Lucky us though, he's going to be performing in our area (Orlando) in December, so maybe I'll get to meet him before I meet him as well!  

Other interests include MtG (relatively new to this as well, but I quickly became obsessed) all horror related indulgences - movies/literature/comics (currently reading Crossed right now, lordy) and knitting.  I am a sometimes guest blogger over at Coilhouse and a "curator" over on tumblr.  Whatever that means!  Also, I just discovered my favourite game is Cards Against Humanity, and I believe the best answer to every question asked is "being a motherf*cking sorcerer".

Looking forward to meeting some friends and seeing you all in February (^_^)

• Welcome aboard @ghoulnextdoor!  Check out the Facebook group and meet even more new friends! :)
  • Hi Everyone,

My name is Debra and I am a singer/songwriter.  I am from Sweet Home Alabama and I currently live in NYC.  I love it here.  It's a great place.

I'm reading about you guys and you have so many interesting things going on. I hope to connect with you all on a social level as well as music.

It feels great to be a part of a forum/community of people to learn from and share great ideas with.

Looking forward to connect!

Debra

www.facebook.com/debrachurchmusic

www.twitter.com/debra_church

• Welcome aboard, Debra!
  • Hello, I'm going to be a lemming and post here.

I'm Susan aka SapphireMind on the interwebz aka JoCoCupcake on twitter because I made a bunch of cupcakes for JoCo's Houston, TX show. 

I'm a 30-something mother of 2 who is a neonatal nurse practitioner in real life, dabble in computer geek-ery and other nerd-ish, dork-esque and weirdly things.  I've been a fan of TMBG since the 80s, turned on to JoCo probably 5+ years ago.  Other geek cred: I was one of those BBS dorks and hated the internet when it became publicly available and thought it would never last.  :/.  I was also a monkeyboxer before they went into exile (proving that I don't only jump on bandwagons after everyone is already there)

I was trying to talk myself into the JoCoCruise this year, but the fates conspire against me (as do my professors.)  Maybe next one!
  • Welcome aboard, Susan! The cupcakes were awesome, as I've mentioned elsewhere.
  • Hi, Susan! Welcome!
  • I can't remember if I've posted an intro or not since I'm not very active on the forums, but here we go anyway.

I'm Eric and I've been a fan of JoCo since about late 2009, although I've known about him for far longer. My first experience was his cover of Baby Got Back, which I heard from a friend, and then Re: Your Brains a few weeks later. I'm not sure why it took me until 2009 to become fully aware of his awesomeness, but better late than never right? I've currently been to 2 JoCo shows: when he opened for TMBG in Tulsa back in February and the recent Tulsa show on 11/29 at The Shrine.

I'm currently 23 and work for the Information Systems Division (ISD) of Walmart at a help desk where I help people with their issues related to anything from password resets and file restores to server backups and MAC swaps of UNIX printers on warehouse servers. Nothing too flashy, be we gotta start somewhere, right? In my spare time, I tend to either sleep all day (I work nights), play video games, read, or play some bass guitar.

You can hit me up on all of the following as Paradoxicles: Twitter, Steam, Xbox LIVE, and PSN.
  • Welcome aboard, Eric!
  • Greetings everyone I'm Merlus aka Shawn.  I've been a fan of JoCo for a few years now and decided to pop in on the forums and say hi.
  • Welcome, Eric and Shawn!
  • Welcome, Shawn!