Introduce Yourself

Comments

• edited June 2008
    Welcome to the forums, LilMaurader!

I'm actually studying English/Dutch linguistics and literature in uni. :)

Cool to have another language nut in here, next to the residential nuts. ^^
  • please feel free to jerk that or any thread violently back on-topic at will. we usually manage to continue the conversation in a more appropriate location.
  • @LilMarauder: I ended up bringing both cameras, but I´ve only used the digital one so far - I just haven´t brought myself to drag the big one about. We´ll see.

Also - welcome! I´m looking forward to you fancy pants dance, just because the title sounds so cool (and, you know, you´re probably at least somewhat talented).
  • @LilMarauder and dantes -- go linguistics! Got my BA from UCBerkeley in 1996 -- not very useful, but so much fun (phonetics was my special-ity)
  • Prepare for linguistics-talk from me soon as today I start preparing for my Introduction to (Text-) Linguistics exam on june 16.
  • oh jeez. phonetics.

I took an intro-to-linguistic-analysis class last semester. it seemed a little ... irrelevant.

I mean, it's all very fun to make syntax trees (seriously, it was fun), but ultimately, what's the point?

Okay, so I totally just discovered I can get WiFi by the window in the living room, so I may be on more frequently now. (Or I may not, I'm still kind of busy.) Regardless, I started a blog about all my exciting adventures in Argentina (and, you know, the less exciting stuff) that is located at http://its-winter-in-july.blogspot.com. Drop by sometime. I kind of wrote the first eight entries today because I didn't write anything at all last week, and so they'll probably go up kind of fast so I can get caught up, so you might have to dig your way through them if you're trying to actually read it all. Sorry.
  • Which is why I didn't go on to graduate school in it, even though I thought that was what I was going to do all the way up to my last year of uni. Brrrr---syntax mapping, even more irrelevant than phonetics. I know, I know, there are text-to-speech/speech-to-text, automated translation, and voice recognition applications of linguistics (in fact, my only ling. job was at a speech recog. company), but most of it is knowledge for knowledge's sake. Which is a fine pursuit for many, but didn't fit for me. Which is why I can only lurk on most of the discussions here!
  • Psycholinguistics is a pet interest of mine... despite what my linguistics professor thought (he could almost be described as chronically high and clingy). That's why I also majored in Digital Media... ant plan on doing that the rest of my days. What I would enjoy doing with linguistics is promoting the consciousness of etymology and basic morphology for the vocabulary benefits.

Anyone know of a good way to market skill in Digital Media that would make me irresistible to potential employers?
  • edited June 2008
    Create something on the Interwebs that goes virally nutso. Can you imagine a media company turning down an application from the guy who thought up the whole fake LonelyGirl15 thing?
  • I'm starting, but it's going so slow!

WHY CAN'T I BE AN INTERNET MOGUL OVERNIGHT!!!!!!
  • So, um, Hi. One of my friends suggested heavily that I should join the forums. And so I have. I look forward to meeting many of you. I'm sure.

Anyway, I was at the San Diego concert and had a blast! I would assume that it has set the bar for most of the concerts that I am like to see. It was damn cool to have said entertainer about three feet away from me. Life can only get more entertaining.
  • Welcome to the forums, rhobbynneq! :)
  • I was at the San Diego concert...It was damn cool
    Pardon me for being contrary, but that's not the version I heard. ;-)
    Oh, and welcome!
  • Welcome, rhobbynneq -- so were you preaching the amazingness of JoCo music to your friend, then? How did you discover it?
  • Indeed rhobbynneq, welcome.
  • welcome. and yes, to date my most awesome coulton moment was coming within literally a foot and a half of him in the hall during his show las october in nyc. other people who like famous or dead artists generally don't get that privilege.

*imagining someone digging up john lennon and taking his remains to dinner at a fancy restaurant*...
  • Yeah, the concert was a tad muggy. And warm. And...dear god, what was that smell?! Fortunately, my roommate who attended had brought a fan. You can see it fluttering in the YouTube vids.

Actually, Jadesnake got me into the JoCo. It took some time, but I bought all his stuff. I am a pleased hobbit.

*looks at three08*
    *raises eyebrows*
    *shrugs*
  • I can already see you will be a perfect addition to our forum troupe, rhobby. :)
  • *imagining someone digging up john lennon and taking his remains to dinner at a fancy restaurant*...
    @three08: You're confusing John Lennon and Jeremy Bentham.
    Actually, Jadesnake got me into the JoCo.
    @rhobbynneq Oh, you're a friend of JadeSnake? Cool!
  • @robbynneq so I see my prodding on the phone yesterday finally did the trick. Glad you're finally here. We'll have so much fun.
  • Hi to all. Do I have to read all the previous postings or can I just start? Thanks. (yes i am that special!) I love JoCo! I have 1000's of classic rock songs on my ipod, but I haven't listened to anything else since my son turned me on to him in March of this year. I was at the San Diego show BY MY SELF, because none of my friends get it. I need new friends. It was warm, but I had a blast! Everyone was really nice.
    I never did a forum before, so be gentle. By the way, you all sound very cerebral, I may not be able to keep up. So once in a while
  • Welcome DeeRo! Not all of us are super smarty-pants, but it's fun to read the posts of those who are!
  • Welcome DeeRo. You will find all types here. Music geeks, math geeks, poetry geeks, and people who have other special talents. Be patient with your friends. I have found that if I don't force JoCo on people (I've tried) but have his music casually playing on the stereo, many will inquire. Make a CD (see other discussions for playlists) and slip it in their coffee. Seriously, I think that JoCo's music PLUS his story equalling a complete package is what appeals to so many of us.
  • Make a CD... and slip it in their coffee.
    Whole or ground? Either way, that's gonna hurt going down.
  • You will find all types here. Music geeks, math geeks, poetry geeks, and people who have other special talents
    Where do I come in all this?

Oh, and welcome DeeRo.
  • "Special talents" Jon. Definitely "special talents" :P
  • edited June 2008
    Where do I come in all this?
    Still trying to figure this one out, Jon Who. You certainly have a talent for boiling down life's little quandaries and annoyances. I wouldn't worry about this, however, as I am old enough to be your grandmother (pat on the head) and I'm still confused.

ETA: You see, DeeRo, we are multi-talented AND multi-generational.
  • I want to put the CD in there Kool Aide...will that work? I want to know more about playlists?
  • Sorry, I got spooked because the boy came in asking what I was doing. "Mom! Do you have an internet boyfriend?!" I just said no and got out. What about dork talents? That's my secret mutant power - fear! Yes! I fear it all. He's coming back. Play lists. How? bye
  • I think a monkey butler would be a very kool aide. And I think LaDeDa started the process of unmasking Jon Who as a 48yo female robot, or possibly Pintsize from "Questionable Content" (I searched long and hard for one of the comics where he indulges his fetish for pasting hair on his metal face, but have given up). Welcome, DeeRo. Here's your secret handshake and ukulele.
  • This the son who introduced you to JoCo? Easier to tell him the truth, I think (says the forum admin, hoping to land another member...). And welcome to the forums, I should've said! (I've been really lazy about replying in this thread, unfortunately.)

As far as playlists go, for instructions on making one -- well, even odds that aforementioned son is still the person to ask. It'll depend on what you have to work with -- can I guess you've got iTunes (since you mention an iPod)? And if you've got a CD drive that can burn (that is, write) CDs, you should be most of the way there. Specific advice, as I said, will be forthcoming (from someone, maybe not me) if you can give us a little more detail on what programs / devices to help you with.

And thanks to Colleenky, we've got a convenient list of links for playlist suggestions -- I'll post it to the FAQ shortly, but here goes, starting with the most relevant:
    The (official) JoCo Primer - Listening Suggestions
    JoCo primer CD?
    Favorite Songs List
    Your Personal Favorite JoCo Mixtape
    What would you include on your "Beginners Guide To JoCo" CD?
  • @Borbaspinotti here is the QC episode you were looking for
  • Hi there. I tried to write an intro yesterday, but my computer decided to make a meal out of my comment. I just joined the forums, but I've been listening to Jo Co since 2005. I'm not that interesting. I played the trumpet years ago, but if I tried now, it would sound like a wounded cow. I graduated from university with a major in psychology and a mior in French. I live near Toronto, so if all goes well, guess whre I'll be on July 9!

Oh boy I have a lot of reading to do in this thread alone.
  • Welcome to the forums, headrickinator! Major in psychology, minor in French, I find that to be very interesting. ;)
  • Welcome Headrickinator!
    I played the trumpet years ago, but if I tried now, it would sound like a wounded cow.
    My brief encounter with the trumpet in music school caused so much pain to my room mates, they took to stuffing their socks in the bell. (an effective mute and use of socks)
  • Welcome to the monkey factory Headrickinator! Mind the giant squid, he is lonely and tend to hug too hard at times. The cake is a lie but there are plenty of crudites.

JoAnn in VA
    Also a Psych Major, currently on the frustrating path to Masters in Psych
  • Is it actually frustrating, or is it all in your mind???
  • edited June 2008
    I think they make it so frustrating to get into the program as a kind of rite of passage, and if you go nuts by the end they will be able to claim another victim..I mean client for their private practices...
  • Hey Headrickianator (I can tell that's going to be fun to learn-therefore I believe your name to be interesting, using my chemistry teacher's definition) welcome to the forums. Please mind the gap as you alight from the Lurker Bus
  • JoAnn, you're a better woman than I. I only got through the undergrad. I looked at the masters and ran screaming. Now I'm trying to figure out what direction I want to go. Great heaps of fun.
  • I think they make it so frustrating to get into the program as a kind of rite of passage...
    I believe this is the basic purpose of all graduate programs. It's not higher education, it's an endurance test.

And, hello, new folkses.
  • Thanks for the ukele and handshake borbaspinotti, and your right, a monkey butler would be a very kool aide. Perhaps I was unclear about the playlist. I was intrigued by the suggestion to add a little JoCo to my regular mix, as a way to introduce it to my closed-minded friends. The links will help slip in just a little to the rest of the songs. Then, when they think it's safe...
  • JoCo POUNCE!!!

Welcome to the forums all!
  • i also took a ba in psych. have yet to go back for more, although it is hypothetically planned at this point. so far i've made good use of it taking people down a few pegs on other, less educated internet forums, when they fail to properly interpret research findings reported ineptly in the mainstream media. I definitely feel like i got my money's worth.
  • I have a BA in Psychology too. It has turned out to be the perfect background for my career as a project manager. Project managing is, after all, just the science of getting people to all do what you want them to do.
  • My psych degree has been used to not kill my kids while they were growing up, for the most part. Now that they are grown I want my Masters so I can not kill other peoples kids :o) Actually I want to work with PTSD soldiers and possibly teens/military family members.

But saying "not kill other peoples kids" is a lot more funny, no?
  • The invasion of psychologists continues. Master in Psychology here (minor in statistics). Initially, I joined the forum to prepare myself for the recent NYC concert. It seems to me, especially after the show, that Jonathan Coulton draws a rather distinctive crowd and I guess I'll hang out here a bit more frequently in the future (soon). My real name is Johannes, but the internet knows me as Jutze. I'm from "over there" (Germany). Male, born in 1979.

How did I get here? My parents introduced me to Star Wars early on in my life. This led me to watch Episode I. Before I knew it I became a fan of Natalie Portman and another fan of hers (Scarlet, one of the smartest people on the planet, just for the record) introduced me to the music of Dar Williams. Searching for setlists of Dar Williams I came across a (mathematician's) blog that contained not only some setlists, but also appreciation for one of my favourite movies. When I saw Jonathan Coulton mentioned there as well, I visited his homepage. I was intrigued by songs like Ikea, The Future Soon, and Mandelbrot Set. Apart from the good music I was (and continue to be) very impressed by JoCo's way of dealing with the music business, the internet etc.

Meeting Jonathan after the NYC concert was a thrill and, well, I guess I'm a dedicated fan now. :-)
  • Wilkommen Jutze! Ich hab in Deutchschland fur 6 Jahre gewohnt, im Kaiserslautern, Heidelberg und Karlsruhe- so where are you from? Cool, another shrink joins the group, and your name is essentially the masculine German form of mine, so that is probably how I will wind up thinking of you. Only thing is that I totally suck at statistics, and probably should take a class in it since it is 20 years since my last one.
  • Hi!
    I am not, sadly, a psychologist. Only a lawyer, for which I'll just apologize now. I was a psych major in college though, many moons ago, if that counts.

I'm in NYC, was introduced to JoCo about a year ago, oddly enough through the Spiff WoW videos, which a friend of mine forced me to sit through, ending with my going to Coulton's website that same night and buying every mp3 no the bloody thing. I'm in a World of Warcraft Horde guild called "Code Monkey Buy You Soda," on the Rexxar server, which probably starts to elevate me from "fan" to "crazed otaku stalker." I was blown away by the Highline show, which inspired me to come here and check out the forums. Next time around I hope to hang about a bit and try and get to know a few of the other forum monkeys.

So, yeah, Hi!