Introduce Yourself

Comments

• I live in Springfield. I was born in Lancaster, CA and grew up in other parts of the state. I moved to Springfield in March.
  • You two are really the same person and having the rest of us on, aren't you...quit talking to yourself!
  • I'm an american living in Germany. I feel that, as a life long viewer of MTV, I could give JC the tips that he needs to break into the big time.

Step 1: get a "grill"
  • Get a "grill"? Huh? And where in Germany? I was stationed in Karlsruhe for 18 months, Heidelberg for 18 months and Kaiserslautern for 3 years, Loved it over there.
  • Man, it feels like everyone on this forum is somehow connected to each other except for boring ol' me.
  • I'm not connected to anyone either, in Belgium... Blah. :(
  • You and I are connected Lex. We uh, both live in England and have access to air. Not good at this.
  • Lex you are more connected than some, like me. You arranged the forum meet up before JoCoLoSho and were in the forum people picture. That is a pretty solid connection to the other people in that picture if you ask me.
  • But Lex, I thought you were my long lost twin brother! Or my son, stolen in infancy by pirates. ( you mean I don't have to change diapers happy Arrr) Or something. Can I adopt you maybe? How about hire you to clean my basement, that would be a GREAT connection far as I am concerned. I will even pay and feed you.
    Oh dear, I do believe I took the surealism bus again...
  • I personally would love to connect with someone willing to clean out my basement. ;-)
  • Fire is a good cleaner.
  • What do you guys HAVE in your basements, anyway? (I have no basement, can you tell?)
  • edited May 2008
    Besides my son, who I hope will buy his OWN HOUSE SOON? 25 years of clutter from being married and various moves with the Army, a ton of Tupperware ( I was a Tupperware Lady for 10 years) and lots of costumes and fabric and over 80 boxes of books...,and eveytime I get an area clear people dump stuff in the middle so I can't get the next area clear...infuriating.
  • I don't either, so we use my room as the junk room. Someday we'll use the attic.
  • edited May 2008
    @JoAnn: Is buying your own house so cheap in the USA at this time that 18-year olds (I'm supposing you're talking about your younger son, since your older one already has a child) can buy a house on their own? Man, I really need to review my future views...
  • My whole house is full of junk, it is not restricted to any one room. When i say junk there is some really cool stuff hidden in there too.
  • Okay, people. I'm really looking for a discussion of what people define as their "junk," so come to the Discuss Here topic and tell me what it is, because it's not really about new people introducing themselves, which is what we want to see here. (Hi, lurkers! Come on in -- the water's not cold!
  • My son is 21, and has a good job, and is allegedly saving up for a place and is actively looking for one. He had a room he rented at his best friends place from ages 18-20, when said friends family moved to another state, and when he (my son) moved back home. My daughter is 18 (19 soon) and has the baby...she got engaged a year ago February and it seems they started the honeymoon early, resulting in little Tyler, who I love to pieces of course. They live with his mom and will be getting married in December.
    Ed's bedroom is slated to become my sewing and art room if we can get him out of it, lol.
  • Ah, I see... I'm sure it'll all turn out fine, your son, your daughter, and your sewing and art room. ;-)
  • To JoAnn; I'm in Frankfurt but was stationed in Gelnhausen a long time ago.
  • I hate breaking into the middle of conversations, so I've come to and left this page about 3 times now, but I figured that before I go breaking into conversations on other discussion threads, I'd go ahead and post who I was so people would have a proper place to go to find out who the heck it was breaking into their conversations....

I'm Carrie. Born and raised in northern Northern California, now living in LA. Two kids, one husband. You may have seen us working the merch table at the LA show on Sunday.

We're post-Portal fans, but have come to love and cherish all JoCo works. Thanks Valve, for giving us new music.

That's all.
  • Finally, a person introducing themselves in the introduction thread!

Welcome CarrieL-and the family. Enjoy your stay.
  • edited May 2008
    Wecome CarrieL! Dont mind the way discussions get sidetracked around here, I think it is the main sport of some people, lol. That and driving poor Bry nuts of course.
  • {It's easy too! I'll give it up tomorrow, I swear}
  • edited May 2008
    Hello, Carrie! I was one of the first folks at the merch table. (Thought about getting the women's XL Skullcrusher Mountain tee but finally decided on the men's L tee, if that helps at all. Probably not.) My thanks to you and your husband!

We try to stay on-topic here, but often, we digress, much to our forum admin's consternation. (We really do love and appreciate Bry.) :-)
  • That's right we love him thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much *stretches arms*. I'll grow up now. And stop talking. Weird how I always say that, and then 10 minutes later I'm off again...
  • Suuuure you will Jon...
  • Welcome to the forums, Carriel! You'll fit just right in with the rest of us nutcases. :)
  • And what, may I ask, makes you think I'm a nutcase???
    Is it my hesitance in introducing myself?
    Is it the fact that my husband and I, instead of holding hands and whispering into each other's ears on our only night out in a month volunteered to stand behind a table and make change?
    Is it that I live in LA?

Well, okay, that last one is pretty damning.....
  • Just so you know in regards to me apparently thinking your a nut case:
    I don't blame LA, though i probably should.

Wow i am making a real habit of quoting songs on this forum. Maybe i should stop.
  • Is it the fact that my husband and I, instead of holding hands and whispering into each other's ears on our only night out in a month volunteered to stand behind a table and make change?
    Who wouldn't want to do that!? The mere suggestion that anything is better than making change is a sure sign of madness!
  • Hi, I'm Ann, as my unoriginal screen name shows. I've been a fan of Jonathan's for a while but finally broke down and registered on the forums. A few years ago I found "RE: Your Brains" on the the myspace page of the girl who plays Pam on The Office and backtracked it all the way to JoCo's page. Finally in March '08 I saw him perform the Birchmere in Alex, VA which also ignited my love of all things Paul and Storm. I'm a Graphic Designer, highly sarcastic and am currently working on being a Guitar Hero.
  • Welcome Ann, I get the feeling that you being a highly sarcastic person is going to cause a few problems in terms of staying on topic. For me anyway....
  • Welome Ann!
  • edited May 2008
    Hi Bland.

ETA: Sorry, that probably seemed super rude. I'm in the habit of calling people named Ann "Bland" - after George Michael's girlfriend in Arrested Development - and your calling your screenname unoriginal prompted me to do so without realizing that it was hardly the appropriate thing to do, which would, of course, have been to have said "welcome," as Jon and awryone demonstrated.

Welcome to the forums, Ann.
  • Yeah, I was just going to say that "Bland" seemed a little harsh.

Welcome to the forums, Egg.
  • Hi Ann, like the name. Too short and obviously only half there of course, but pretty good...
  • Thanks for the warm welcome, all. I've been called a lot of names in my time but I honestly can say I've never been referred to as "Bland" before, that's a new one! If my name is too boring, please, feel free to refer to me with the more common nickname I've had ever since high school: MacGyver.
  • You got a mullet? Cool!
  • Welcome, Ann!
  • This seemed like the best thread to say this in - I'm going to be studying abroad in Buenos Aires from May 29th to July 11th. I'm not sure how much internet access I'll have (nor how much of my time I'll want to be spending on the internet, anyway). So a temporary departure from the forums may be in store. Just letting you guys know ahead of time, I'm not abandoning you or anything.
  • Awww.... We'll miss you, Shruti!
  • We sure will! (Miss you, I mean.) But have a lot of fun there, all right?
  • Will do.
    Thanks, guys.

At the moment I'm freaking out about two things:

1) Having to call my host family tomorrow. Both talking on the phone and introducing oneself are awkward/terrifying enough in English, but in Spanish? Yikes.

2) Deciding which camera to use (I'll probably take both, but still):

Digital
    -pocket sized
    -digital! (can review photos, etc.)
    -oftentimes has issues autofocusing, leading to unsatisfactory photos
    -has a few nifty effectsy things, reversing colors and the like
    -on/off switch is difficult to work after having been bent after dropping. but now I'm just searching for things.

Film
    -has always taken nice pictures
    -enormous, with a tacky blue case
    -can't see photos until they're printed
    -has both manual and automatic modes
    -it hasn't been used in a while, and I don't quite remember how to do the manual stuff (I took a photo class three years ago)
  • Have fun Shruti, we'll miss you!

Talking in Spanish, ouch... :\ I wouldn't want to have to do it myself.

About the camera, perhaps you can buy a new, cheap but better working digital camera?
  • Wow Shruti, I sure hope you return to the forum when you're back. I just know it will be an amazing experience for you, so enjoy every minute of the adventure. Chances are that at the very least you'll find a nice internet cafe and update us from time to time. Hey, we want to see the soap:cheese ratio on GraphJam! And now I've got you singing that song from Evita in my head...
  • fare thee well, Shruti. May the Lord of the Nine Bless thee!
  • Hey! I just got an account here but have enjoyed JoCo's music for at least a year now.

*quickly before I introduce myself fully*
    Shruti-
    I would recommend the film camera, when I went to Italy I took film, and there were a couple people I was with that took digital and their memory cards failed or got lost. I brought 12 rolls of film back home and got them developed (didn't have to worry about printing or using one of those kiosks) and put them in a scrap book that hasn't faded or anything. And if you want digital copies you can get a CD with your developed pictures. Not to mention that you can buy film for your camera anyplace but you may not be able to find a compatible memory card in a nearby drugstore, etc. Just my thoughts though.

*now, back to me*

I first heard of JoCo when Re: Your Brains was linked to through a facebook application about Zombies. I subsequently downloaded all of the free songs on the website. I am a freshly graduated College student with a BA in Film & Digital Media and a BA in Linguistics. I love cg and editing (once I soup-up my computer a little more, I'll be able to finish my Still Alive animation and show that off.)

I recently found that JoCo was performing in my hometown, Cleveland and in looking up information on Paul & Storm, I found that they were half of DaVinci's Notebook, and that they are influenced by Moxy Fruvous, which are two of my other favorite musical artists (which I sadly missed the boat on-- having heard of them only after they had called it a day). Now I have the opportunity to pay homage to a tri-force of great music all at once!

BTW I'm female (would post in that thread, but it's really off-topic ATM) I play the guitar a little (looking forward to finding the tabs and working through the lessons on youtube) I also play the piano/keyboard and I try to convince myself that I can sing. Other than that I dance, dance, dance... one day I'll film a Fancy Pants Dance and join the ranks of aleprechaun's Code Monkey dance!

Nice to meet you all!
  • Awesome. Can't wait to see your "Still Alive". Welcome. :)
  • Welcome, and ohmigod you know the gender thread!