JCC6 Transportation from MCO to Cape Canaveral

edited March 2016 in JoCo Cruise
I just researched Mears versus Rental cars:

Mears ->  MCO to Residence Inn Cape Canaveral -> prices per person start at $124 due to 3 hour minimum charter

Hertz -> Minivan or Nissan Maxima one way rental, MCO -> Residence Inn Cape Canaveral -> $74/day, no one way fee.  MCO is awash in minivans, so always check out those prices.  Hertz return is 39 seconds walk away from Residence Inn Cape Canaveral, so I went with Hertz.

Thrifty -> $50 one way fee

Budget in Cape Canaveral has done me well in the past, so I would like to shout out for them.  Unfortunately, you have to take a taxi from their location after 5 pm.

[edited by @Bry, Mar 7, 2016, to change thread categories]

Comments

• For JCCC3, my wife and I hired a town car, which was $215 for a round trip (airport -> hotel near port, port -> airport), driver tip not included.  It was a little expensive, but extremely convenient.  We used http://www.taxi4hire.com/.
  • Will THO arrange for discounted transport or with the hotel for airport to hotel? This sounds dang expensive.
  • You could also self-arrange a ride share using a Hertz minivan. 4 people splitting $100 rental (gas +toll + misc fees) is usually cheaper than a shuttle option from Royal Caribbean or Mears.

Once we have booking numbers, we can price out transfers from RCI.

Taxis are not a good option for Port Canaveral. For ANY travel... *argh* *suppressing anecdote of $/##&$!!!* Let's just say if anyone "helpful" at Port Canaveral says the rental agencies are out of cars, but here's a handy taxi! <--Scammer
  • @Sparky1961 We are indeed working to try to arrange discounted shuttles from hotel to Port Canaveral and back.

We'll post info as soon as everything becomes official.

P
  • Cool. This is good news. I read on the website the hotel will be in Orlando secondary to Daytona so that will help on arrival!! Thanks.
  • @paulandstorm -- this also begs the question of transport post cruise to Orlando. It is a bit of a haul and I'd love to see an effort to coordinate shuttles or busses for seamonkeys going to the Orlando airport for a fee. Thanks again for the good news on hotel to port terminal. Is the port to Orlando airport even Possible??
  • This will be my first JoCo and would like to share a ride both directions.

Thank you,
    Edwin
  • @Sparky1961 That was the "and back" part above.

(It was implied to mean "back to the airport post-cruise," but it could have been stated more clearly.)

P
  • For those who may not recall, for JoCo 3 the shuttle rates available to us were unevenly priced. The cost for one person was $25 and for two people was $50, but if one organized a larger group, additional people were only $10 each.

While this was normally a perfectly reasonable pricing structure for the hotel which usually expects people to arrive in small groups that don't know each other, for a group like ours, with hundreds of people, it lead to people trying to organize larger groups.

In a stroke of insanity, I decided to volunteer to organize anyone who was interested into groups of people who were arriving at similar times so that we could all take advantage of reduced rates.

That ended up involving more than half a dozen different pickups at the airport and over 100 people. I would not wish that organizing task on anyone again for JoCo 6, so I hope we can find a way to avoid it.

One notable difference between JoCo 3 and JoCo 6 is that with the hotel being in Orlando rather than near the port, the long, expensive transfer is going to be from the hotel to the port, not from the airport to the hotel. That is a very good thing, because people arrive at many more varied times to the airport than they do to the port.

What I hope that will mean is that THO is able to negotiate a good price for all the people heading from
    the JoCoTel to the port -- my intuition suggests that $15/person 1-way would be a reasonable deal all around, and that $10/person 1-way might be achievable.

• On JoCo three, I also organized the Bus Monkeys.  Price was about 5-8/per person.  There was a little hiccup with the size of the bus, partially due to the numbers of people we added post-cruise starting. 

I'm willing to organize buses again, if people want it.  We could do a group from JoCoTel, then another group to MCO from the cruise port. 

The important thing about the buses are flight times - coming back to the airport after the cruise, you have to make sure your flight is after 1 or 2 PM, just so you have time, and I'll know the procedure and instructions better this year  :D 
  • @SapphireMind - I would like to sign up for your Bus Monkeys service. Transportation is needed both directions! :-)
  • edited April 2015
    @paulandstorm. "And Back" is my Sir Mix a Lot cover band. Naturally I assumed it was the band. (thats my story and I am sticking to it)