JCC6: Entertainer Wishlist

edited March 2015 in JoCo Cruise
I haven't seen this topic yet so I figured I'd start it!

Tim Minchin
day9 (Sean Plott)
Professor Elemental

Comments

• edited March 2015
    The Great Luke Ski
    Chris Mezzolesta, AKA Power Salad
    Rob Paravonian
    Carla Ulbrich
    Grant Baciocco
    Devo Spice

• +1 Professor Elemental
  • Chris Perkins and the players in acquisitions incorporated  WOTC to sponsor game room

bill bailey and dylan moran
    Graham Linehan
    have opus back!

riffers
  • oh yeah, and Saladin Ahmed, though how he'd cope with the whiteness of it all, I do not know
  • edited March 2015
    I may have just convinced someone else to come on the cruise, and he's a big Tim Minchin fan, so I'll add two votes for him, plus a vote for Storm doing amusing things in the background if he does Storm.

Also, Mara Levi/The Pushovers, The Burning Hell, and give Tig Notaro, Carmen Esposito and Opus Moreschi another chance, because who doesn't love performers whose names end in vowels?

The Arrogant Worms, too.

Also, here once again is your annual reminder that Tom Lehrer is still alive.

Edit: I'd also like Mike Phirman to come back.
  • edited March 2015
    There's a lot of entertainers in here that I would gladly +1, so I'm gonna shoot for names that people may not have considered or be familiar with.

Worry Dolls

Malukah
  • I give another vote to Professor Elemental

"Odd individuals look awesome together"

Tim Minchin is a given. 

As much as I love Tom Lehrer, he doesn't perform anymore  :(

• edited March 2015
    Oh, I always forget to mention The Brothers Chaps.  They are definitely in our entertainment circles, and I would love to see them on the ship.
  • I know Tom Lehrer doesn't perform any more; he's a long shot that I mention so that my other suggestions don't seem as silly. Anyway, it can't hurt to ask; maybe he doesn't perform because he hasn't been asked to perform on a cruise ship. Also, I really just want to remind people that he's alive, because a surprising number of people assume he isn't. One day he won't be, and I'd rather that not be the day that people discover he was.
  • Rhett and Link

Moon Hooch

Heywood Banks

Colin Wright

Henry Smith, the guy behind Spaceteam

Postmodern Jukebox and/or Puddles

Marian Call
  • Hey, if Tom Lehrer wants to come out and give a lecture on...well any topic...I'll pay extra.

Heck, if he just wants to come out and wave and maybe pose for a few pictures after.
  • edited March 2015
    I'll start with just these 2.
    Sarah Donner
    Marian Call - I know she's been on before but I think enough years have passed to include her again.
  • +1:
    Day9 (It unusual for someone I've actually heard of to get suggested in these threads)
    Mike Firman (Nicest guy I ever met, and I owe him $10)
    Tom Lehrer

I can recommend some really funny up and coming British stand ups:
    Ivo Graham
    Joe Lycett
  • I'd love to see one or more of the creators/performers from Welcome to Night Vale come on the cruise. Jeffery Cranor, Joseph Fink, Cecil Baldwin... the faceless old woman who lives on the ship...
  • Get Steve Carlsberg and you get a Night Vale / Thrilling Adventure Hour two-fer.
  • edited March 2015
    Opus. If he can. Or alternatively another person with a Improv and a similar background. Improv workshop a primo idea. A talk about being a writer on Colbert (either show) would also be awesome. Tell him to get rid of any other unwanted body parts BEFORE the cruise however.

Another thought-some Second City Cast members
    A writer from Colbert or Daily Show with Jon Stewart
    BOGGIA
    Carolina Chocolate Drops
    Sara Watkins
    A bluegrass/heritage/mountain music act.

• Murder by Death because they make uniquely beautiful music and also because apparently they are avid tabletop players.
  • Sean Altman
    SJ Tucker
    Catherynne Valente
    Garfunkel and Oates
    MC Frontalot

(Hi, I'm new, so if there's some kind of Past History with any of these folks, I don't know about it).
    (Except I once saw Sean Altman open for Da Vinci's Notebook, so I know Paul and Storm have met him).

• FIRST FEATURED PERFORMER FOR #JCC6 ANNOUNCED!

Check out the exciting announcement video here: https://youtu.be/deLQs6ZI4IY

• I know what that is without even clicking. 
  • I dunno, I was pretty surprised by the outcome. But I expect one of about five things when clicking on unknown youtube videos, so that's probably just my inherent bias. 
  • Yeah, I thought I knew what it would be, but when I clicked it let me down.
  • Tim Minchin
    The Doubleclicks
    The Arrogant Worms
    Amanda Palmer

• They Might Be Giants! 
    I haven't seen them in concert in a really long time. It would be an awesome treat.
  • Amanda Palmer will likely be a no-go due to new spawn (I'm terrible at calculating due dates, but she will have either just birthed or be too near it to travel).
  • I think it would be awesome to get Tim League of Alamo Drafthouse; he would almost certainly bring along an interesting movie to watch.  

Our home-grown MST3K troupe Master Pancake would be fantastic!  They have a lot of movies that they've riffed, and have also proven many times that they can do improv riffing.  If they offer to bring a movie to riff, the nerdiest that they've done is probably the Tom Hanks/Eflstar classic 'Mazes and Monsters'.  They've also done hysterical riffs of all the Twilight movies and The Notebook, but I'm not sure about inflicting those on anyone. 
  • Scott Simpson and Skeptichick who were at Nerdnightout with the Doubleclicks were awesome!  I suggest them  :D
  • Paula Poundstone
    Try to get Judge Hodgman
  • I love the optimism here, but Amanda Palmer is probably too "big" to come as a supporting act. 

Tim League is a more interesting idea, but he also has a business to run. 

• Carla Ulbrich - Got into some of her stuff recently and found out she plays cons.
    Aurelio Voltaire - Annual request that will probably go unfulfilled.
    The Mountain Goats - It was pointed out to me this year that one might also get away with just bringing John Darnielle.
  • +1 to Tim Munchin
    +1 to Oates & Garfinkle
    +1 to Amanda Palmer (although I know she can't come in 2016)
    Neil Gamen too!
  • Would love to see Sara Watkins and Pomplamoose again!