JCC5 Drunk'ish Monkeys at dinner? (Looking for wine tasting friends)

edited December 2014 in JoCo Cruise
The past 2 years, RCC offered a "wine pairing" dinner in the Chops Grille as an "excursion."  They canceled on us last year, owing to insufficient people signing up; this year, I don't see anything analogous - just a tasting in the wine room on the Promenade.  Which saddens me.

But maybe there's an opportunity here - we are allowed to bring 2 750 ml bottles of wine per cabin.  Any other monkeys care to meet up for dinner and exchange tastings with my wife & I?  I've got an email off to RCC to confirm that we can bring our own wine to dinner (either the main dining room or Chops).  We don't pretend to know a lot about pairings, despite our California drivers' licenses, but we do know what we like, and we're always looking to expand that circle of knowledge.  

Comments

• edited December 2014
    I don't really drink the fermented grape juice but I think it would be great for the drinking Sea Monkeys to meet up at dinner to share your bottles o' fun.

However, just in case you had your heart set on the Chops Grille thing, maybe you were looking in the wrong place?  There's a "Chops Grille California Vineyards" under "Dining" for $74.50/person.  It looks like it's only being offered on Day 3/Feb 2 @ 6pm.

Here's the description:

Join
    us for a relaxing evening filled with five wonderful courses enhanced
    by a wine menu featuring one of California's most iconic wineries.

The
    Wagner family vineyards are renowned for producing some of the finest
    pinot noir and chardonnay from Napa Valley to the Sonoma Coast – and are
    especially revered for their Caymus cabernet.

As each course is presented, you will learn about how each wine was selected to enhance your enjoyment of each dish.

Whether you're a wine connoisseur or just looking for something new, this is sure to be an evening of great food and fun.

• Hey, you're right!  Thank you sir; I owe you one Internets.

So, now there are 2 topics:
    1) Anyone want to sign up for the wine dinner @ Chops on Day 3, so that they don't cancel it on us again?

and 

2) Assuming RCC lets us BOOW to dinner, anyone interested in participating in our own wine tasting one night?
  • I'm generally in favor of wine pairing dinners, but it looks like a pretty pedestrian menu and pairing plan -- i.e., only big-producer widely-available wines. 
  • We did do the wine pairing dinner in Chops on JCCC3, and we pretty happy with the results.  (It happened to be on Valentine's Day, and the waiter was not stingy with the pours - we probably drank 3 bottles across the 5 courses.)

Dinner is usually very good there.  
  • My husband and I have signed up for the Chops Feb 3 wine dinner and are definitely interested in bringing a couple of bottles to share at any wine gathering that is planned. Just let us know what you find out re: bringing 2 bottles (per person, per stateroom?) and we will happily join in! 

We are from Atlanta and are general wine (and bourbon) enthusiasts. 
  • As of last year the two bottles were per stateroom; I believe the rules are still the same. There's a nice wine store called Total Wine not far from the JoCoTels!
  • It's definitely 2 750ml bottles of wine per stateroom (rough on those in many-occupancy suites), per RCC's rules (e.g., http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+&+Beverage&faqId=5442).  
    They haven't responded to my "Contact Us" submission, so I'll give them a call today or tomorrow.
  • I don't drink, so I would be happy to be a wine mule for someone. However, I don't arrive until the 31st at 11:23am on USAirways flt#1992.. Might I humbly suggest that those staying at the hotels might wish to consider seeing if there are others like me who would be willing to carry on booze for others? Just a random thought.
  • It hadn't occurred to me that I could be a wine mule. We won't be bringing any along with us so if someone would like, we could carry on 2 bottles. We'll be arriving on the 30th and staying at the Hilton JoCoTel. Feel free to ask me.
  • Nice lady on RCC's phone tells me that yes, I can bring my 2 bottles of wine to dinner (and sounded surprised I felt it necessary to ask).

So, let's pick a night to meet up in the main dining room & pass the bottles around!  In the absence of the JCC itinerary, we're left with the ship's schedule to aid in planning (and I can't seem to find the schedule for formal dining).  Feb. 3 is out.  What about Feb. 5 or 6?  Puerto Rico ends early (embark by 2:00), and Haiti tends to be a fairly relaxed day (embark by 6:00).
  • I'm sure they're ok with you bringing them to dinner.. but BEWARE the corkage fees that are supposed to be for personal bottles of wine OUTSIDE of your cabin

• Per the link to their FAQ, above, they claim no corkage fee.  You've experienced otherwise?
  • Well... THAT's a change

• This sounds totally fun - will see about packing along two of my favourite Okanagan whites - Tinhorn Creek's 2 bench White and Lake Breezes Pinot Gris.
  • Dinner in the main room passing around bottles of wine sounds lovely! I'm in for it. I love trying new wines. I'm bringing at least 2 bottles and maybe a dessert wine. I can donate 1 to the cause. :-)
  • Do note the restriction on bottles of wine - it's 2x 750 ml bottles per stateroom.  They also specifically restrict "fortified wines."  I don't know if they'd confiscate a 375ml bottle of port...but I'm not going to chance any of my favorites on it!

Think I should turn this into an "official" shadowcruise event?  Or should we just plan on meeting up prior to dinner on...the 5th?...and seizing a large enough table?  

• I think you'd have enuf to make a cruise event and more than one table. Also some at fixed seating might want to do something like this. What about one dinner and one non dinner wine bottle sharing fest?
  • When did the Shadowcruise become all about rules and order?!  ;)  Request submitted, but precise coordination will likely rely upon Twit-arr and/or secret messages scrawled upon the deck.  

Sadly, I don't partake of the Facebook, so I can't advertise this over there.
  • too bad! am in the presidential suite, so among 14...

• Was Presidential last year.... trust me.. I know that pain....

• I'm sure they'd let us each bring in a heaping tablespoon or so of wine?  It's only fair.
  • Huh.  I was not aware that you could bring wine onto the boat.  I have a couple of favorite malbecs that I'd love to share with others.
  • Very much looking forward to meeting fellow geeky winos.  

I am going to bring a 1999 Pedroncelli Petite Sirah to share at the group tasting. Curious to see if there is any life left in it, or if it is holding strong. What are you bringing? 
  • I'll have to do a little digging in the wine room.  It will be a little harder to bring whites (chilling them would require requesting goodly amounts of ice ahead of dinner), but we recently found a really neat Albariño I wouldn't mind sharing.
  • I want to do this but don't think I'll have room in my bag (hey roomie feel free to be a wine mule for two bottles since it is 2 bottles per cabin). I am willing to get a wine from the menu (.sparkling anyone?) or pitch in $ as I wish to participate. Will that work? Do we have an official shadow cruise schedule yet?