D&D on D (Dungeons and Dragon on Deck)

edited December 2014 in JoCo Cruise
I'm working on a JCC inspired custom module using 5th edition rules.  How many people might be interested in playing and if so how long (hours) would you like to play.  This will be a cross between the old D&D cartoon and a bunch of JC songs.  Would you prefer a bunch of small sessions or one longer one?  Let me know so I can plan out the Shadow Cruise Activity.

Comments

• I'd be interested! Probably not for more than a couple hours at a time though, to keep my schedule flexible - and because my friend whom I'm going with wouldn't be interested.
  • I'd be interested. Like waratteru, I think a few hours at a time would be excellent. 
  • I'm interested, though I haven't played v 5 yet. I'd likely be in for both short sessions and/or one long one. Depending on whether you think rolling up characters is fun or just a time consuming necessity, you could bring pre-made characters and allow minor modifications (or not), or we could roll up characters in advance. This is my first cruise so I'm not entirely sure how I'll want to allocate time yet, though my plan is to spend the majority of my time in the gaming room.
  • I'm up for this, but it would be best I think with a few shorter sessions. I've played 5th ed a few times and have a copy of the PHB. I could bring it along if it would help.

5th Ed character creation is fun but does take a bit of time, and if the whole group was to try and do it together on the ship it might use up an hour before the game even began. I'd prefer rolling up characters in advance - just let us know what level and how you want to do stats (roll, point-buy, standard matrix).
  • a few shorter sessions appeals to me -- more people could play this way. 
    also i recommend providing pregens. i only played 5e in the beta, and decided i liked 4e better, so haven't gone back. not sure how much changed...sounds like a lot :)
  • I would love to play this.  fwiw, 5e is super easy to pick up (or was for me, anyway. I have a lot of Pathfinder experience and have never played 4e.)  second the idea to bring pregens.
  • Thanks everyone, I'll have a sign up in the game room.  As far as characters I'll have pre-rolled.  It's going to be a bit like the old D&D cartoon where you the person wake up as you the D&D character... it will make since... trust me.  I love making characters but know how much time that takes so pre-rolls are the way to go.  I also want to make it New to D&D, or new to 5th Edition friendly as well.
  • I'd like to join you guys - am playing 5e right now and could bring the phb. long sessions appeal to me, but I'd take what I could get!  We have plenty of sea days. For my current group, I write up the adventure for any who weren't there - could do this if people were subbing in and out.

Isn't this every D&D'ers dream - where they bring you drinks and there's an endless buffet?
  • I'll bring along my 5e PHB to share if there's room in my luggage. : )
  • edited January 2015
    I would love to play in a short session of D&D 5th edition!  I played 5th ed. at Pacificon in September and loved it. I literally played every available session available over the three days and it was the best time I have ever had at Pacificon!  Do we need to bring anything other than dice, like the Players Manual?
  • I would be interested as well. I haven't tried 5e yet, but lots of 3/3.5e and 4e. Is there an SRD available online, or should I be planning a trip to my local gaming shop?
  • There is a free version of the Players Handbook on the Wizards site (they consider 5th "free to play") http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/basicrules

I'll bring plenty of dice so only bring your "special" set if you want to.  I'm expecting new D&D players, Returning Players, and those that live and breath THACOs so I'm preparing for all (and all to have fun.)  Look for the sign up in the game room with times.  As far as a bit longer session or multiple sessions I'll work on that as well (how about a late night D&DonD, or a longer session on one of our full cruising days.)
  • (Yes and yes)
  • this is one of the threads on the boards that makes me wish you could 'like' posts :)
  • I will be running at least 2 "sit down and play" D&D sessions using 5th edition rules with pre-rolled characters. Complete newbies welcome. I might also do one for more experienced players. I'll try to post a signup sheet in the games room on the first day of the cruise.
  • edited January 2015
    I'll be looking for that signup sheet! Been playing AD&D since the beginning. It's the opposite of Star Trek movies, only the odd ones are worthwhile. Have played 3rd Ed but not 5th yet, would love to give it a whirl.