cruise dating?

edited October 2014 in JoCo Cruise
I've worked up the nerve to post this here after Veevi and I had a discussion about doing this. I'm a major introvert and rather shy so this is putting it out there for me (hence starting here rather than FB), but -

Is there any interest in a shadow/informal cruise gathering early in the week for single/available/etc Sea Monkeys to meet other like-minded folks and perhaps click with someone to take to the JoCo Prom/excursions/dinner/etc? :)  I don't (and can't) do the speed-meeting type meet'n'greet, but perhaps a cocktail hour at one of the bars would be a good way to break the ice and mingle.

If there's interest, maybe Veevi and I will coordinate to get something listed as a shadow cruise event.  I just want to get a sense of whether there's anyone who would like to attend an event specifically for this purpose. :)

Comments

• That sounds like a great idea. I'd be up for it.
  • Sure, I'd be up for it.  But the speed meeting thing was actually fun for this introvert, so consider that too :)
  • Speed meeting was wicked fun, but I think I recall from a couple of years ago it was specifically NOT supposed to be a dating vibe thing?
  • Speed Meeting is explicitly for the purposes of meeting new Sea Monkeys, and due to a number of concerns raised when the idea was in it's initial planning stages, we explicitly state that Speed Meeting is not for romantic purposes.  Of course, we have no objection to ideas relating to on board romances, and it would be great for such an event to exist.  But that event will never be Speed Meeting, and the organizers behind Speed Meeting won't be the ones to organize that event.

There, obligatory disclaimer has been taken care of.  Carry on :)
  • I'm down.
  • *whispers* me too
  • I'd be in assuming no conflicts. Thanks
  • I would be up for it.
  • I'm in (assuming no scheduling conflicts).
  • Sounds fun
  • I might be in.
  • I'm in if no conflicts. Cheers.
  • I'm in :) This is a great idea.
  • Sinine, are you Estonian, or is it just a coincidence that your user ID is the word for "blue"? (I'm not Estonian, but I spent a few weeks in Tallinn a few years ago.)
  • Hi stevendj- I'm from California. Sinine is my game name. Used Google translator to find a foreign word that would not be very common as a login ID name. Blue is my favorite color.
  • I sometimes use Külföldi (the Hungarian word for people who aren't Hungarian) in games for the same reason. (I'm not Hungarian, but I've learned a bit of the language.)

But we're getting off topic. I expect I'll at least poke my head into the singles event, and there's a chance, if it's not too crowded, that I may not immediately flee in introvert terror.
  • edited December 2014
    I've had a stray thought. Last year at dance things and mingle things there was no way for introverts going solo and/or solo newbies to easily find others who were also wanting to dance or chat depending on the situation.

Does this idea sound whacked? To whit: designate a " meet others here" corner at such events. For example have an area in the back--of the dance floor I mean--for those seeking dance partners to go to? Or at the opening party/reception? I was introverted enough to have difficulty just walking right up to a group or other person and just start talking. Similarly it was difficult to find a dance partner.

Others? Thoughts? Other ideas?? And if this has merit how can we designate a place easily that both won't be in the way or complex to do but reasonably obvious if for example it was announced in Facebook, and on Twit-aaaaarrr or the daily on board JOCO news?
  • I think that's a whole different situation - and we don't want to conflate just meeting people with some sort of singles event.  Because there may be a lot of people who are *traveling* alone, but they are not single and it could put both sides in an awkward position. 

It's not a bad idea, just keep it separate from the singles stuff, imo. 

No matter what, request link is https://jococruisecrazy.com/jccc5/shadow-cruise-events/ for shadow cruise events, that will get you space if needed, or if not needed, on the official register of events.  The only way to be listed on the official unofficial event listing is through that link.
  • I don't consider it needing a shadow event but more informal Perhaps a separate thread would have been better but since I thought most doing this would be single to float the idea here before I did that. Not just for singles but anyone traveling solo.
  • edited December 2014
    Alas, things can sometimes get complicated. I'm happily married and monogamous, but went on two of the trips solo because my wife was in school and could not get away. I did want to socialize with fellow nerds, of course, but knew I was going to have to handle flirting (which happened a LOT -- a surprising amount of it from people who were married and traveling with their spouses) and even possibly being propositioned (yes, that happened too) with as much grace as possible. We nerds are a frisky bunch!

I thought the generic, non-relationship-oriented "speed meeting" was a great event regardless of whether one was looking for romance. Had I been looking, it could easily have led to one. But there's certainly nothing wrong with having explicit "singles" events as well. Perhaps, having identified and maybe planted stickers on one another at those events, singles would recognize each other at others, including the dance parties (where it's too loud to talk).
  • Well, Brett - I will say even people who are not "looking" can be considered flirtatious, it might just be their personality or differences in expectations in interaction.  I don't doubt the rest  LOL

I agree speed-meeting is awesome for the non-romantic bent.  I don't think it is a bad idea, but it probably needs its own thread....people who are solos but not single/not interested in that aspect won't look in a thread labeled 'cruise dating'
  • edited January 2015
    Yep. In this group -- perhaps because it's composed of nerds -- there's an especially wide variety of expectations and intentions. Some of the married folk were flirting just for fun; others were clearly in "open" or polyamorous relationships and seriously seeking hookups, threesomes, foursomes, or swaps. #SexParty was more than just a hashtag! I just hope that folks were safe about it. ;-)
  • I specifically stayed away from "speed meeting" because 1) that's already someone else's event, and 2) I personally can't do speed meeting events because it is incompatible with my hearing loss.  

As a hearing-impaired introvert I do much better in a small group situation with a controllable noise level. Speed meeting, as I learned on JCCC3, just isn't for me.  

But that's ok, and I hope those who attend it enjoy! The purpose of this thread was to propose an entirely different setting, for similar, if more specific, purposes. :)
  • With that said, I would be down with the idea of a designated spot to meet during dances etc. I think that's a great idea, because it is definitely hard to meet people during those events. 

I am not inclined, currently, to register a Shadow Cruise event, because I feel like there's already a lot going on and I don't want people to feel conflicted about choosing events. I also don't think it requires a space reservation so much as an agreement to meet somewhere at some particular time.  I think if we get it together it will be more impromptu once we have a sense of what is happening when, and I'd post it to Twit-Arr and leave a notice in the Game Room. 

And should this gathering not come together by my/Veevi's hands, but someone else here feels inclined to register a shadow event or put out the call for an impromptu meetup some evening, I'll likely be game.  By the same token, I'm pretty recognizable -- I have a left arm tattoo sleeve of a cat and a bird -- so if you see me hanging out and want to have a drink or just get acquainted, please do say hi.  I'm shy but I hope to make new friends. :)

• Sounds like what I had in mind Eclipse. I'm not so good with Twit-aarr but will try. Hashtag?
  • Oh yeah, a hashtag would be good!  Maybe #cruisedate?  #singles?
  • I would really prefer to have at least one time set before the cruise sails - I have a hard time finding things on twitarr and in the game room.  I get easily overwhelmed with chaotic walls of text/writing.  Events that are pre-announced tend to be better attended  :)  You can always reschedule if needed.
  • edited January 2015
    My suggestion is not really an event but rather informal place to gather during OTHER events. Like opening reception and karaoke and band etc.

For the singles thing those are good hashtags. For just s place for any solo travel or even couples who don't know anyone maybe #monkeymeet?
  • I'll be doing other stuff during other events - they aren't places really to chat comfortably, and I'll be with other people I'm sure.

Not meant in a passive-aggressive way or anything, I just doubt I'll be able to participate if it isn't planned apart from other stuff.  I'm not looking to have a "date" to an event, I just think it would be nice to meet other people who are not involved with other people and may even be in my general geographic area at some point. 
  • edited January 2015
    So I've been thinking about this a little bit more ..

It would be nice if we could meet up before the Formal so that if anyone wants a date, they might find one! :D In general I think this would work better the earlier in the week it happens. 

Given that there are already events all afternoon from 2pm onward on the second day (day of the Formal), and the first evening is also fairly booked from Welcome Party onward, here's what I'm thinking:

A singles etc. meetup at the bar OUTSIDE of Studio B (where the Karaoke magic happens) from, say 3:30-4pm?  This would be the latter half of the Welcome Cocktail Party, but right outside of this party and during the second half of it, so you're not far from the action. Speaking as someone who generally sits with friends during parties and watches the action go by, this works really well for me, although I understand it might not be ideal for everyone who stays busy during official events.

I'm still not planning on submitting a Shadow Cruise event for this since it overlaps a scheduled event and doesn't require a real space reservation.  However, I'm also shy, and for this and other Reasons, I don't really want to be the one to announce it in the FB group. If anyone else here wants to submit this as a Shadow Event, that's fine; even better would be to announce it on FB - I'd be grateful. 

How does this sound?
  • I am not planning to participate in this event, but I am happy to announce it if the time works for people! Personally I think a location like this is a good idea; last year I spent a lot of time meeting and chatting with people at that exact bar!
  • Lacking any other input - chicazul, I accept your gracious offer. My only request is that it is clear the event isn't a speed meeting, but just a meet n mingle for singles and like-minded folks.  Thank you very much!
  • For people coming from the FB post - yes, this gathering is not just for Singles, but anyone Available.  It is meant to be expressly for the purposes of meeting like-minded and like-status people, but of course, anyone is welcome to come hang out. :)