What I Did on My Summer Vacation

edited March 2014 in JoCo Cruise
Well, it wasn't exactly Summer, and it wasn't exactly my vacation, but it sounded good in my head.

I just wanted to take a minute to brag on the truly exceptional people in this community and just gush a moment on how proud I am of the culture we geeks have created for ourselves.  I've been listening to JoCo's music for a long time, but I never really got involved with this community or the cruises until I stumbled onto the signup for JCCC4.  I thought it'd be a cool way to see some islands I'd never been and take a break from life for a week.  Turns out it was so much better than I could have possibly imagined, and it wasn't even the entertainment that made it great.

Sorry performers, the wife and I loved the shows, but the best part of the trip were the dancing kids in Studio B.  It probably seems like an odd thing to focus on, but in my mind it seemed to sum up everything that I love about this geek culture that's growing so strongly.  Nearly a thousand people paid a pretty solid amount of money to enjoy a trip in the company of like-minded people, and these were people who were happy to watch kids running around and having a good time during a concert.  It's a group of entertainers who are okay with it.  Even more impressive is when one of the kids lost their little glow-necklace thing in a crack on the floor, nearly a dozen guys bailed out of their seats to see if they could help in active testament to the nobility that defines the character of so many in that crowd.

There were a lot of weird people doing weird things, and a whole lot more people happy to see them doing it.  I'll admit that growing up Southern Baptist in the middle of nowhere that some of it was pushing the limits of my comfort zone, but you know what?  Everyone was okay with that, too.  I don't know another group of people on the planet that are as accepting of anything and everything as the collective gathered on that one ship, and that was a truly mighty thing to behold.  I spoke with a mother who'd joined her son on this trip after hearing about his last one and how touched she was to see so many people dancing who'd never been on a dance floor in their lives.

I think it all stems from a pure and unwavering devotion to joy.  I'm not just talking about people who want to be happy themselves, but people who place a great deal of value on assisting others find their own joy as well.  Sort of a cascading loop of awesomeness, I guess.  I just thought that it was an amazing testament to the quality of the people in this community and I wanted to point out that it's something that hasn't gone unnoticed.  Granted, I do enjoy the sound of my own voice (I mean who doesn't love listening to someone this damned intelligent talk?), but that's not why I decided to post.  I was really proud of what I saw and I wanted to take a selfish moment to brag about it.  Besides, maybe it'll serve to make someone smile, and that seemed like a worthy thing to do.

Thank you VERY much for an exceptionally awesome time, fantastic company, and some of the most intelligent conversation I've had in decades.  See you next year!

Comments

• This definitely brightens my day a little :) Welcome to the forums, @ricoxg!

It's been a little while since we got off the ship, but I'm still caught up in the excitement of it all. The people I overcame my insecurities long enough to meet were all so fantastic, and it's been ages since I've felt so inspired.

@everyone: I've been gone for a while, but I'm back now, and I've missed you guys. Whether or not we've been shipmates, y'all give me the warm fuzzies. I love you all so much.
  • I have never met such an amazing bunch of people. I feel like I'm a completely different person when I'm on this cruise, maybe some you do too, maybe some are exactly the same, glad you had a great time too.
  • It is possible that I got pulled into one of those interview thingums that was going on with the videographer and I had a possibly horrifying conversation about how the cruise LIT'rally changed my life. </ChrisTraeger>

I haven't written a recap of it like i have in other years because I have some other Things happening right now. They are capital-T Things, so you know they are serious business. (Nothing bad. Just very large.)
  • I can honestly say that the cruise has truly changed my Life, with a capital L. :D
  • Yay @ricoxg! I'm glad you had such a great experience. (I am also glad other people had a wonderful time, but you're the one who started the thread!)
  • Let's all have a party with a capital P and eat some warm bread with a capital WB, except that sounds like a TV network.
  • edited March 2014
    It's changed Ray's and my lives, too. Before JCCC, there was only one other couple we regularly did anything social with; now we have a whole slew of Sea Monkey friends who live in our area (which includes the couple we were friends with before, as we convinced them to go on JCCC3). We had thrown two parties in our house in the first 8 or so years we lived there; since we started going on the cruises, we have probably had close to a dozen or so, from small groups to large ones. And that's not even counting the non-local friends we look forward to seeing every year on the ship.

• Yay, @ricoxg! You've summed up the real reason I keep coming back: the people. It's just a floating collection of awesome.
  • @ricoxg, you nailed my feelings after the cruise.  :) I really enjoyed watching the toddlerpit, too.

Even though I can't come with ya'll next time, I'm trying to enlist people to go in my place because you were just so nice! :)
  • is this a good place for me to say that I was SO happy to meet @Bry ;on the boat? because I have been wanting to say that since I got home. It was such an unexpected treat!
  • edited March 2014
    Hi, @ricoxg! This made my day. I'm so very glad you're here!
  • I am quite sad I did not manage to meet @Bry on the boat, especially since I heard there was @Bry poetry at open mic.
  • Thanks for your post. The joy we each bring to the boat and the reflected joy we see in each other makes the boat a very special place.
  • You know, someone should do a study about this, and I'm not kidding.  Where else in the world would you find a community brought together by a group of entertainers, and then watch that group of fans put so much of their own effort into it that the main events aren't even the biggest draw anymore?  How the heck does that happen?

JoCo, Paul and Storm, et al must be the Wyld Stallions foretold of in the prophetic movie, "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure."  =)
  • It certainly seems to me anecdotally that a significant amount of people return from JCCC energized to start or restart creative endeavors.

• I wasn't even there, but watching the videos and hanging out in the forum has energized me to start a creative endeavor. 
  • BryBry
    edited March 2014
    Aw, thanks, @melagee! It was great to meet you too and I'm only sad it happened so late in the trip.

@villicious, I'm sorry I didn't meet you as well! I totally meant to, although I'm always tongue-tied around famous people :) If only you knew how close we'd come -- I think @chicazul and I got to deck 14 after open-mic just around the time Hodgman was finishing cleaning up Scrabble...

I really want to hear about everyone's creative endeavors! Hey, @Angelastic, is there a thread for that yet?
  • As the mom of one of the dancing kids, I'm glad that my daughter having a blast made other people happy, too.