JCCC5: Entertainer Wishlist

edited March 2014 in JoCo Cruise
I figured someone ought to start this thread. So why not me!

People I would love to see on a JCCC Cruise: 

Comments

• Off the wall suggestion, but maybe Peter S. Beagle?  He's currently doing a screening tour of The Last Unicorn and why not finish up said tour (or take a semi-break from it) in Jan 2015 to come on a cruise?
  • Professor Brian Cox. Modern-day Carl Sagan. Physicist, tv presenter, science communicator, and uber nerd. Works at CERN. Is super awesome and could be a double act with Phil Plait! :) Also an incredible funny man.

• Still trying to come up with specific recommendations, but it would be great if there could be a slightly higher percentage of female performers. I know Tig had to pull out shortly before the cruise, but that would have still just made it 3 women and 16 men.
  • More comedians, please.

• I'll gladly 2nd Sarah Donner.

I'm pretty sure John Darnielle (either solo or Mountain Goats) has been mentioned before, but I think he's worth mentioning again.

I started following Worry Dolls on YouTube a couple months ago.  They don't do nerdy music but they seem to be nerdy themselves, which strikes me as a good Watkins/Boggia/Keating type of opportunity.

Invite Marian back plskthx.
  • I would love to have Marian Call return. She's incredible.

Maybe Tig could make it to JCCC5?

I second Phil Plait and John Kovalic, but also want to throw Tom Smith's hat into the ring. I think a lot of us would appreciate his music. 
  • edited March 2014
    John Darnielle.

Emilyn Brodsky: 
  • edited March 2014
    Luke Sienkowski. Tom Smith (medical conditions permitting). Rob Balder. Devo Spice. Others from The FuMP.
  • I like the information talks that Grant Imahara and Nathan Sawaya did more than I thought I would, so once Jim C. Hines gets his talk about cover posing into a final form, I'd love to have him do that and a reading on the next cruise. In fact, why not have more authors doing readings and Q & As?
  • Sarah Donner again! Also Kirby Krackle would be awesome.
  • I love most of the above. I'll add:

Cowboy Mouth (ya just gotta trust me on this one, folks. Their live shows are a wonder to behold and would be perfect in Studio B 'cause you just don't sit down at a CM show).

Unwoman (quick, book Zoe Keating again, and with Aubrey Webber, the three can have a cello-off. TO THE DEATH! Okay, maybe not that last bit).

Scott Barkan (even if Marian Call is unable to attend) and maybe his mates from Fortress of Attitude.

Here's a stretch: Imelda May.
  • Ooh, yes, Jim Hines would be fantastic (especially if he coerced some of the other entertainers into doing the cover posing ON THE BOAT).
  • I would love to see Chris Leavins on the boat (I have no idea if this is reasonable or not, but Cute with Chris was great, and I will never stop loving Todd and the Book of Pure Evil).

http://www.youtube.com/user/cutewithchris
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_and_the_Book_of_Pure_Evil

• OH! Matt and Mike Chapman are in your circles now, right?  I would LOVE to geek out over Homestar Runner!
  • What the heck, I'll be the first to throw this out:

Frank Turner.

There, I said it.

(Oh, ghods... the idea of a Frank Turner/Imelda May show has my all wobbly.)
  • edited March 2014
    I've been thinking about Christine Lavin and wondering how she would fit in with the whole thing. I know she's done a small short fan cruise of her own at least once (because I was on it). Maybe she skews a bit too old for most of the seamonkey crowd though, I dunno.

Heck, she even has a song about being maudlin over the designation of Pluto.
  • My vote would be for Alton Brown.
  • Here's my list of folks who've never performed on a JCCC that I passed to the home office in my questionnaire:

Aimee Mann
    Helen Arney
    Jackie Kashian
    Janet Varney
    Jen Kirkman
    Kristin Schaal
    Sarah Vowell
    Tig Notaro - we know she's on their radar already

• Oooooh, Frank Turner.
  • Mikesphar, I LOVE Christine Lavin - especially her 80's stuff. I once burned a cd of her music for Jonathan - don't know if he ever listened to it but at the time (2007) he hadn't heard of her.
  • Juliana Finch!
  • I don't suppose it's even worth mentioning Welcome to Night Vale?
  • +1 for Night Vale!
  • Marian Call again, please. Alton Brown would be great. Of course Adam Savage, but his seasickness might preclude that. Steam Powered Giraffe would be pretty nifty, too. Maybe some Nerdcore rappers would be nice.
  • I talked to Storm and Weird Al has always been a long term dream, just stopped by the fact he needs his entire band so ends up being out of our ability to keep a low cost.

Alton Brown would make a great guest.... and Hell I'll shoot for the stars, how about Neil Gaiman or other authors.
  • I'm going with Aurelio Voltaire again.  Even though he apparently headed a NecroComiCon on the departure weekend of this year's cruise, which may or may not categorize him as "the enemy".

Better-Known Song Link
    Pandering to the Nerds Song Link
    Miscellaneous Other Song Link
  • edited March 2014
    I put Alton Brown down also. In addition The Carolina Chocolate Drops, Alison Krauss...and admitted longshot Jenny Lawson (The Bloggess..get thee to her website soon if you have not already www.thebloggess.com). Some others but those are the ones I thought most realistic. I since have thought of the host of Says You (www.saysyou.net) Richard Sher and if possible one or two of the regular panelists).And Mike Danforth/Ian Chillag of the How to Do Everything podcast.
  • Good news, everyone! I can trim my overly-long everyone-I-like-who-doesn't-come-to-Europe request list, as I'll be seeing several FuMPers at MarsCon. But I'll still second Tom Smith and Rob Balder. And Juliana Finch and Helen Arney (I've never seen her perform, though I will in a few months, but I met her at a JoCo show in London and she's super nice and her songs are funny.) I guess I'll mention Mara Levi again. And I bet Marian (and Scott) would love to come back and everyone would love her to come back and so would I and I'm not even saying that purely out of self-interest, because I saw her four times in Europe recently.

I wouldn't have thought of them myself, but Peter S. Beagle or Aimee Mann would be cool! Also, I'm going to second Sarah Donner even though I haven't listened to her yet, because I can just tell from the kinds of people who recommend her that I'm going to like her.

And, uh… eeny, meeny, miney… let's say Dave Matheson, this time. He has a short wikipedia article so he must be not very famous and therefore cheap to hire. ;) Also, it is now time for your yearly reminder that Tom Lehrer is still alive.

I need to get some variety into my incessant hopeless requests. What's Kristen Shirts up to, these days?
  • +1 Marian Call and Scott Barkan
    +1 Aimee Mann
    +1 Kristen Schaal
    +1 Night Vale

+1000 More comedians: April Richardson, Scott Aukerman, Kulap Vilaysack, Howard Kremer, John Oliver, Maria Bamford, Eugene Mirman, Charlyne Yi, take another stab at Tig Notaro, and can you fly Miranda Hart and Simon Amstell in from the UK?

If we're asking for writers, I vote Maureen Johnson, David Sedaris, and Malcolm Gladwell.

OOooo! also, Jad Abumrab and Robert Krulwich from Radiolab!!

and, you know, Moxy Fruvous.
  • I've met Aimee Mann. Excellent musician and a good person to have on the cruise. Also: Small Potatoes, Eric Schwartz, Four Shillings Short, Vixy and Tony.
  • Gosh, I totally didn't think of that at all because all of my suggestions have been entirely realistic, but now that you mention it, +1 Moxy Fruvous (Okay, I just didn't want to be the first to say it. :))

Also, the mention of Small Potatoes reminds me of The Arrogant Worms. But they're three people, and that's expensive. You know who's been in both Moxy Fruvous and The Arrogant Worms? Mike Ford. So he's practically two bands for the price of one person!
  • My wife put this in her feedback to THO, but Carbon Leaf would be an excellent addition. They're a celtic rock group from Virginia, they've done a cruise before (they've been on a few of the SixthMan cruises), and they have a raucous song about fighting nazis and zombies. We think they'd fit in quite well in music and temperament.
  • While on the topic of Fruvous, what about the Cocksure Lads?
  • edited March 2014
    Lindsey Stirling!

There is a good chance that I won't be able to make JCCC5, but I REALLY think SeaMonkeys would love her.  Seriously, if you haven't heard of her, look her up.  An absolutely amazing violin player, who I'm guessing is rather a nerd herself, based on some of the covers she's done.  (Zelda, LotR, Skyrim, Halo, etc)
  • Heywood Banks would be a great addition. He's a riot (and has historically worked clean, for those concerned about such things). Howell, Michigan, represent!

If we got Neil Gaiman, we could maybe also get his wife, Amanda Palmer.
  • @autojim Considering how infrequently they're able to be together because of their schedules, I would argue that booking both Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer would be easier than booking one or the other, since you could pitch it as them having a week together that still pays the bills.  :)

@mizzie Yes! Lindsey Stirling would also be a great match for the cruise.
  • If we're gonna go the Lindsey Stirling route (which I am totally for!), then I feel I should also recommend Lara De Wit and Malukah.  Hell, get them both and they can most definitely do something together!
  • Seanan McGuire! (Filk musician and author, win win!)

Also, Mary Crowell and/or Play it with Moxie. 

I do understand that filk isn't really everyone's schtick though. But I'm going to say Marc Gunn also.

I'd second lots that are already mentioned. Particularly if you got Beagle, or Gaiman, or Palmer, or or. Oh who am I kidding, I love everyone.
  • @Angeltastic I got happy when I thought he mentioned Kristen Shirts in the opening night concert. Turned out to be "Christian's shirts." Damn.

@melagee +1 to your entire list, especially the Radiolab guys!
  • names I forgot to include on the survey: Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Bobak Ferdowski, and another vote for Nightvale.
  • Doing my usual boost for Juliana Finch http://julianafinch.com/

Amazing musician and huge geek, she is a PERFECT fit for the cruise.
  • Getting Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer would be damn awesome. Unwoman would also be amazing.

The list I put on my survey:

New: Sarah Donner, Jason Webley
    Returning: Marian Call
  • Jean Grae!
  • I forgot Nightvale on the survey. NIGHTVALE NIGHTVALE NIGHTVAAAAAALE! Oh gods that would be so awesome.

• +1 Cowboy Mouth, they are frickin' amazing live.

The Uninvited (or I guess, Fish Ranch Road?) seem like they would fit right in, but I'm not sure if they are still together.

Ultra not gonna happen wish list: Suzanne Vega, Tori Amos, BNL, TMBG.
  • edited March 2014
    I'm mostly on FB but I'll cross-post my wishlist...

Juliana Finch
    Lindsey Stirling
    Carolina Chocolate Drops
    Iron Horse

I'd also like to see some of the cast of Community: Danny Pudi, Donald Glover, Alison Brie and Jim Rash

Lizzie Velasquez would be amazing to see.  Not sure how a "motivational speaker" lines up with the cruise though.