Dedicated JoCo Cruise Crazy Shadow Cruise website

edited March 2014 in JoCo Cruise
I had talked to Home Office about having one of these before - they liked the idea, and were always planning to get it going, but it never happened (which I totally understand because of all the other things they have going on) and other monkeys on the cruise liked the idea, so I'm setting out a skeleton and then hoping for people to take it over and make it far better than I ever could.

http://shadowcruise.sapphiremind.com

Anyone who wants to have admin privileges will.  If you want ftp access so you can play with the code and make it better, or redesign the visuals, you will be able to have access.  Access to phpmyadmin will be more complicated, but doable.  If you want a forum or a group, you got it.  It's about getting all those awesome ideas we come up with out and sharing and hanging with like-minded people, without completely taking over joco's site (and the people who don't cruise with us) and without losing posts and stuff as easily as happens on the facebook page.  It would be some place that is completely just ours to do with what we please.

If it proves to be useful to people and we want to keep it going, I'll buy a domain name for it instead of subdomaining it.

Comments

• BryBry
    edited March 2014
    I'm on record in the past as being in favor of improving our existing forms of communication over starting a new one, mostly for pragmatic reasons, but also because clearly these forums were intended as my own personal fiefdom and threats to my power must be quashed.

In seriousness, though, I have a few questions. I don't bring these up to discourage this endeavor, honestly; if we can come up with good answers, I think it'll make this better.

Most basically, my sense of the problem we're trying to solve is mainly that what we've got now's too fragmented -- there's info in these forums, in the Facebook groups, on the wiki, and maybe other places I don't even know about. (It might have fringe benefits, like reducing the crowding out of non-cruise JoCo talk around here, but that's incidental.) Is that an accurate statement of your goal here? Have I left something out?

It might be worth understanding, then, why our existing solutions aren't enough.
    • I've been on Facebook Temperance for a few years, but maybe you guys could fill me in on what's missing from the Facebook groups. My sense is that it's not a great place to archive information, but my last contact with Facebook was many redesigns ago.
    • I do know some general problems with fora -- as welcoming as we try to be here, they can be a little intimidating to join, and with this many people, threads get really long, so it's hard to know if you're asking a question that's been answered already. (Plus, the search function in this forum software is terrible, we all know.)
    • Wiki similarly has a bit of a barrier to entry. Also, so far, it's better as a repository of information than really a good place to communicate and collaborate -- it's hard to have a conversation in a wiki.
    (I think I'm cribbing some of this from a conversation I had with @julievil on the boat.)

How will this new CMS be better than these? What specific flaws in the current systems will be handled in a better way here? For instance, if overlong threads are a drawback to this forum, how will we fix that in the new system?

I understand the Platonic goal of one website to rule all Cruise stuff, but in order to get there, we need to do a lot of groundwork to make sure people know about it and choose to post there instead of / in addition to in the social networks they already use today. My sense is that it'll take a lot of effort and buy-in before this is comparable in utility to the groups we've already got. What do you think?

And (sorry if this question seems pointed, it's not meant to be) is it more useful to spend that effort on creating something from scratch, as opposed to improving the flawed networks we've got? I realize we can't really "fix" Facebook exactly, but we can make these forums (and the wiki) better. (I do want to discuss how we could improve these forums, but that's a subject for a different thread.)

Fundamentally, in trying to unify fragmented cruisetalk, how do we avoid fragmenting it further? If I'm someone who wants to talk about the cruise, then if we can actually get all cruisetalk moved to the new site, then my life's easier, sure. Until we get there, though, if I've got a fourth place I've got to check now, and I've got to worry about making sure I crosspost my stuff to yet another place, then my life hasn't actually gotten easier. Do we need to kill cruisetalk in the forums/wiki/Facebook for this to be effective? (Basically, this.)

Again, I'm not trying to dismiss this idea! I'm hopeful that whatever does result from these questions will help make this more useful.

Thanks for taking the initiative to set up the site, @sapphiremind! It was great to meet you on the giant boat thing. (Completely off-topically, but while I've got you -- if you want an instrumental version of the Elements Song, you can always go to the source material.)
  • For JCCC4, we were trying to incorporate many of these ideas into the Cruise Account System. It was built around an existing CMS, so adding the functionality of actual CMS/forums was a matter of turning it on. The problem we ran into was that the JCCC4 system required you to have booked JCCC4 in order to participate. That meant that a lot of core people who contributed quite a bit to the foundations of what the Shadow Cruise is would be excluded from conversations. I didn't find that to be an acceptable idea.

So, we limited the use of that CMS to collecting data. Helper Monkeys, Fixed Seating, Cabana Lottery, etc. were all forms that we could tie directly to the accounts of people who would be on-board. We could have started up yet another site as the CMS, but we saw that as only an interim solution to the larger problems (many of which @Bry has pointed out).

For JCCC5, we're hoping to do better. Having an account in the "Cruise CMS" will be required to manage your booking, but having a booking won't be required to participate in the CMS. So, "buy in" for cruisers is guaranteed. You can't not have an account. People who don't want to see anything cruise-related can easily avoid it all by not getting one. Anyone who wants to participate can.

In my initial vision of how that works, "Curated Topics" will exist as Posts, and limited voluntary curators will have access to edit their information. Discussion about those topics would live side-by-side in an open forum. So, learning the basics of the topic will be possible by reading the main posting, and if you're passionate about that topic and want to engage, you can wade into the pages of forum posts about it. But you don't have to.

It's been a couple of months since I talked to @Scarface about this stuff, because actually executing on the current cruise was the higher priority than trying to work out details about the CMS for the next one. Hopefully, it's still a target we can hit. It will be a topic of discussion in the Soon™ time, I'm sure.
  • edited March 2014
    Thrilled to see responses - all constructive stuff welcome  :)  Not on the best computer for trying to respond to all of your questions, so if I miss one, let me know.

@Bry
    "How will this new CMS be better than these? What specific flaws in the
    current systems will be handled in a better way here? For instance, if
    overlong threads are a drawback to this forum, how will we fix that in
    the new system?"

Great first questions.  Forums-wise, there is not enough diversity here to be able to keep track of new things.  It's actually ok to repeat topics, and with a better search function and a more subdivided forum, you can find things easier.  Instead of being "JoCo Cruise stuff here" It would be "Special dining/fixed seating" "Games" "concerts" "book clubs" "knitters" "new monkeys" "Child free"  "parents" "minions" etc.  it would encourage people to interact in their subgroup throughout the year, which will help people get to "know" each other better before even setting foot on the ship. 

Additionally, there has been pushback before from non-cruisers about the overload of stuff on this page that is cruise-related.  I got reprimanded for too much stuff on the wiki - that was enough to kill my enthusiasm for a while. 

"I understand the Platonic goal of one website to rule all Cruise stuff,
    but in order to get there, we need to do a lot of groundwork to make
    sure people know about it and choose to post there instead of / in
    addition to in the social networks they already use today. My sense is
    that it'll take a lot of effort and buy-in before this is comparable in
    utility to the groups we've already got. What do you think?"

I completely agree.  Last spring I first brought it up to the home office about doing something like this, and they said "soon".  6 months ago I again offered to help - was told "soon".  and then the last few months before the cruise are so hectic that no one can do anything new.  I think it is a case of the home office has so much on their plate, and this might just be asking too much of them, and if they aren't able to do it, then we should.  Ideally, we would have home office buy in eventually, when there was a real site to speak of, and then in this forum it would be directing people to the CMS - same on the wiki and FB group.  I think the wiki could and perhaps should be absorbed into the new site (the wiki about the cruise that is, the rest of joco stuff should stay here.)  But we would need buy-in, and I think that's not impossible. 

There's a huge group that is cruising, and while the FB page I think should still be there for socializing and sharing, it's not easy to plan things on there.  And here, there's just too much cruise stuff to fit into one tiny section of the forum.

There was no a capella group this year.  colleenky usually arranges the music, but I bet there are tons of other monkeys who could do it too, and might have been interested if they had realized there was no one else to do it.  There are a lot of the shadow cruise events (like speed meeting) that people know they want to do next year, and now they can have a dedicated forum and wiki section just for their purposes of developing their idea.  Especially since we'll be on the same ship, we will know what the timing of things will be (not the official performance, but we can make educated guesses) and figure out how we can schedule ourselves to make best use of our time and space, without waiting until the end, or relying on the home office to do it all for us.  Doing something like this, we could actually potentially print out a guide to shadow cruise events for new monkeys (returning monkeys too :) ) so people can know what to look for and how to find what they want.  Or if they want to bring more equipment (like playstation move controllers for JSJ)

Oh, and if you would like to be the Lord of the Forums on the new site, you can do that too - I am totally serious in that I don't care who does it, just that it gets done.  I want it to be there, and asking other people to do the work up front hasn't worked yet - so, let's get it done another way.

@rhaje
    I think that could work well within an article system - you have your main article, with people who are able to edit it/curate it, and then in the comments, there's discussion about that particular issue/article.  If there wants to be more discussion, it can migrate to the forums. 

I think you guys are trying to reinvent the wheel too much, when you already have a ton of stuff on your plate and people who are willing, nay dying to help you but aren't being allowed.  But the CMS needs to come out far before the cruise. 

Just host the CMS on a subdomain of jccc.com and let people make their own accounts, cruisers or not.  Yeah, it would be great to have it all integrated, but that may not be possible, and I know the CMSs that are based on wordpress are not nearly as hearty as some of the others like drupal, joomla or tikiwiki.  They don't have as many features nor are they able to be modded as easily. 

But I totally understand you guys have tons of stuff on your plate already in trying to organize this.  Let us help, not just on the ship, but off it too.  Give us the tools and ability to make your life easier.  Let us interact more and get to know each other more.  I would love for my daughter to be able to chat with the other girls she met on the cruise, but she is too young for facebook and there's no good way for a bunch of preteenagers to chat here.  But they could have a forum to themselves to talk and be silly.  We could even limit what they see through permissions and user groups.  

There is so much potential and awesome in this community and I would love to see it actually come together outside of the boat too.
  • grrr. why isn't tagging working?  @bry @rhaje
  • If we could somehow merge the sea monkey migration info and the info from the site on interests.etc into the account system or official website that would be good. In the forums I suggest there be dedicated threads for THO announcements to be gathered ..no comments in those just to make info easier to find rather than looking through Basics. Comments could be another thread. Pinning a post with links to every info site (FB, wiki, official site, other unofficial cruise related sites with migration info etc at the top of perhaps ALL cruise related forum threads would be helpful..or at least have a dedicated place for it? Just throwing out ideas.
  • It would be nice to merge the migration/interests, but that's someone else's baby and while I would be willing to help however I could with the port over, I don't know if they would be interested in doing that. Right now as it stands, at the top of every page in the site I started, it links to the forums, facebook and the migration. 

We could have a section for official announcements from THO, no comments allowed on those, those are just articles that allow people to see them, and they'd be prominently featured. 

Ideally, in my perfect world, on the jococruisecrazy.com site, there would be a link to a CMS - again, don't care if it is someone else's or mine (or I'm willing to give up control of mine to someone else), because that's where new people are going for their info. 
  • Tagging @rhaje and @bry again to get more feedback.
  • @SapphireMind I'll reply once more, but my experience of these forums is very different from others', and other people did all the cruise planning this year, so I'm reaching the point where my feedback isn't as helpful as anyone else's would be.
    Instead of being "JoCo Cruise stuff here" It would be "Special dining/fixed seating" "Games" "concerts" "book clubs" "knitters" "new monkeys" "Child free"  "parents" "minions" etc.  it would encourage people to interact in their subgroup throughout the year, which will help people get to "know" each other better before even setting foot on the ship.
    This is of limited use to me personally, so I'll defer to those for whom this would be beneficial.
    I got reprimanded for too much stuff on the wiki - that was enough to kill my enthusiasm for a while.
    Just for the record, we've had some discussions with the wiki folks before, and I recall trying to grease the waters a few times. The concern from the wiki folks has historically been around organization rather than quantity, though I'm not sure about your specific case (and regardless of the reason, I don't want people to be reprimanded for trying to help). This might go away if we dedicated some attention to organizing the wiki.
    But we would need buy-in, and I think that's not impossible.
    From what I've seen, the Home Office has been very, very receptive to suggestions from cruise people. What I really mean is buy-in from users, not the Home Office. This website won't be useful until we've got a critical mass of people there. How do we convince people to migrate?
    There's a huge group that is cruising, and while the FB page I think should still be there for socializing and sharing, it's not easy to plan things on there.
    But if people are already congregating and socializing in some centralized location, they're going to do their planning wherever they're talking. Are we going to have to cut in on those discussions and say, hey, stop talking about this here on Facebook, let's move this discussion to a different site (and lose the conversation history, etc.)?
    There was no a capella group this year.  colleenky usually arranges the music, but I bet there are tons of other monkeys who could do it too, and might have been interested if they had realized there was no one else to do it.
    I can sorta see how a new website would make it easier to join up with groups that exist already, but I'm not clear on how it'll make it easier to tell that a group doesn't exist and remind people to create it. I'm not saying I'm a typical user here, but I can't picture how that would work.
    There are a lot of the shadow cruise events (like speed meeting) that people know they want to do next year, and now they can have a dedicated forum and wiki section just for their purposes of developing their idea.
    Well... yes, but they also have dedicated forum threads and wiki pages today. I agree it might be useful to subdivide those threads a little more, but is there really so much going on that any one of these events needs its own subsection of a site? (That's a legitimate question, as I haven't been involved in organizing any Shadow Cruise events.)

I guess to stretch it a little, I could see having different threads for gauging enthusiasm, brainstorming, actual planning/organization, and post-mortem -- but those are also generally relevant at different chronological points, so there wouldn't be more than one or two active threads at a time.

Thoughts from event-runners?
    Especially since we'll be on the same ship, we will know what the timing of things will be (not the official performance, but we can make educated guesses) and figure out how we can schedule ourselves to make best use of our time and space, without waiting until the end, or relying on the home office to do it all for us.
    This seems like a good idea in general, but it's still not clear to me that this wouldn't be possible by improving the forums or something, or having threads specifically to discuss scheduling.
    Doing something like this, we could actually potentially print out a guide to shadow cruise events for new monkeys (returning monkeys too :) ) so people can know what to look for and how to find what they want.
    In my mind, this is equivalent to "everyone update CruiseMonkey ahead of time and someone handles the data entry/creating a (physical?) guide". Is there more to this I'm missing?
    Oh, and if you would like to be the Lord of the Forums on the new site, you can do that too - I am totally serious in that I don't care who does it, just that it gets done.
    Heh, appreciate the offer, but let me re-insinuate myself into this forum's good graces first :)

Let me wrap up by reiterating: I can see the benefits, honestly I can, but everyone still needs to convince me that this is worth what I believe would be an immense amount of effort, as opposed to pouring that effort into improving what we've got.

I'd really like to hear from others, though.
  • Speaking as someone who ran a Shadow Cruise event this year (Rock Band) and assisted with a couple others, I'm not sure I like the concept of having to negotiate time slots with both Home Office and another location.

The real limiting factor for Shadow Cruise isn't organization, per se.  It's time and space.  There are a limited number of venue locations and limited time slots for each.  Given that the Home Office has to wrangle with RCI for ship facilities/space, and the fact that many Shadow Cruise events require specific resources or facilities on hand and are therefore not mutually interchangeable on the schedule if a conflict arises, I don't know how much utility there would be in getting "pre-organized" without at least some Home Office input.

Ideally I think we should just ask the Home Office to negotiate the space and time first, and give us a clue about what times on each day will be occupied by an official event.  Then funnel everyone to a Google doc to detail what sort of event they'd like / facilities they need, and then just discuss how best to Tetris in all of the moving parts so that everyone gets a worthwhile time slot that suits their needs.

A whole site page coded to deal with time slot negotiation feels like a nuke-to-kill-a-housefly solution.
  • It isn't a site to deal with that, that would be one feature though. I purposely picked CMS software that is easy to code and can be installed via bot. The site as it stands took less than five minutes to set up, and everything is editable easily.

We would need home office buy in, but even without them, we have a general idea of the space
    And time available. It won't be exact, no. But part of it could be an open system of knowing what events are being requested to be scheduled, so people can be aware and help rearrange if there are conflicts. We know the Jamaica room and the st. Thomas room will be there 24/7 essentially. But if you know there is a huge number of people vying for those spaces, you might decide to only go for two sessions of rock band, or to hold JSJ upstairs at night or conversely, if you see there are lots of empty times for those rooms, you might decide to increase the availability of those games.

I think @bry that this page could be redone to handle all that, but the amount of change is so drastic, I am not sure the HO is interested in doing that, when these forums are fine for basic forums for a performer website.

It's one of those things that you can come up with the idea on Facebook in discussion, maybe get some of the basic brainstorming, but the actual planning gets done on the forums. If the home office starts handing out a site (and links it on the jccc.com site) there will be an easier time to get buy in because it is what is being advertised.

I find the forum here incredibly difficult to navigate. There's too much mashed in here to be dedicated to this one part of JoCo. A user base of 800+ I think definitely merits some dedicated location. This site and forums are about the performer Jonathan Coulton, while ajccc site would be for all the aspects and performers on the cruise.

I forget home office's tag, if someone else could get them tagged.
  • @paulandstorm

pulling in ideas from other places - it could be a locale for ambassador training/information, pre-sea monkey chit-chat so people don't feel so disconnected.  Helper Monkey shifts can be designated there.  If you want, it can match the style of the existing home page, or not. 

You guys work extremely hard at the HO.  You are essentially 5ish people trying to run a pretty decent sized fan-con, more or less, which is insane.  And I think I saw a lot more comments this year about you guys seeming stressed, which sucks because we want you to enjoy it too. But you also have lots of people willing to help, if they feel they have the support from you.  Giving us a place to dedicate solely to the cruise will help with that, whether you build it yourself, or allow someone else to build it and you decide who admins it, or you allow it to be self-governed.  

We have to have buy in from you because without it, people still won't be going to the right places and still won't know what's happening.  It would need to be linked on the jococruisecrazy.com website, and plugged with home office emails (and advertised in the fb group and in here).  But the longer it takes to get running, the more fragmented things will get because people will make work arounds and other sites to try and find.  Have a site, we don't care if it is linked to our cruise accts (personally, I would probably prefer not, for security reasons, ymmv)  or not.  I don't care if I make it or a better coder makes it, whether I make it and hand off all admin passwords to someone else or not, whether you want any help running it or not, whether it is its own domain, subhosted off mine or yours.  But please give it a try and give us buy in.  I've not done much of anything to the site at this point because if we don't have buy in, it is pointless and is just one more site to have to keep track of, which defeats the purpose. 

I humbly beg, please!  Let us take some work off your shoulders. 
  • Hey guys, you're right! THO is 5 people. Number who actually deal with the servers and the code that runs on them is 1.

This is an idea that has been on our minds for some time now. Perhaps this a good place to start a discussion about it. I understand the impatience to get a better solution running. For the below (and other, I'm sure) reasons, this is something the home office would like to help with and get Sea Monkey buy in on.
    1. Have it on the jococruisecrazy.com domain as an official jccc site
    2. Having shadow cruise surveys etc integrated with the user account system allows us to correlate submitted data with bookings easily, which saves time and increases awesome
    3. We want to have it on our server so that we can (a) pay for it (b) scale it up if need be (c) improve it to integrate it more with cruise booking stuff

THE GENERAL PLAN AS FAR AS I KNOW WHAT IT IS RIGHT NOW

Please let me know what you think about this. I'll be having a meeting with the other organizers this week and we'll be talking more about the future of the site. I will bring in notes from this conversation. We know this is a feature you guys really want and we'd like to launch the site with the booking engine this year... and we'd like help from the community to build it out and find out how it should be set up.

Umbrella install: wordpress multisite. Booking engine is one of the sites, user account system perhaps a separate site...TBD. Perhaps the main blog is one of the sites (if not this year, then next year). Forums is another site.

Below are some notes about our thought process. Please let me know what you think.

Why wordpress? A marriage of convenience. Tons of plugins and every band runs on wordpress already, so it happens to be where I am comfortable working.

Why multisite? Well, this is something that just occurred to me today, realizing that sea monkeys should have control of their forums but need shared logins and the benefits of a user account system. Multisite seems like the easiest way to accomplish that. I actually have never worked with multisite before so it would be a learning curve for me, but it seems like it would be worth it. 

Why separate forums? We've heard conflicting feelings on this move. The feelings seem to fall into two camps: 1) the JoCo forums are being spammed by JCCC garbage! and 2) the JoCo forums will wither away without the JCCC people in it!

In the end, we'd like to have separate JCCC forums so that each group can have their fullest chances to blossom as individuals, as it were. Yes there is a little risk in this, but we think it's the cleanest solution and will allow both discussions to be better.

Should the wiki be separate? Our gut feeling right now is: yes. But we don't use it as much as the sea monkeys. What do you guys think?

Who will be the admins? Who will set up the site? That's the nice thing about multi site. It should be the sort of thing where we can set up the basics and then let some admins and coders you guys choose in to make further modifications. You guys know what you want better than we do. Since the forums, wiki, etc are the online home of the Sea Monkeys, this is a place where we'd love your help and input to make it into what it needs to be.

WHEN? JUST TELL ME WHEN. Well, soon. Our meeting is tomorrow. Might be able to get a multi-site instance up by sometime next week or maybe a bit later. We could let in admins by the end of the month, presumably. The shadow cruise site could have its own theme and own set of plugins. Apart from buying the plugins and handing over the keys, we're sure you guys would do a better job than us. How does this sound? I know it's not right away, but I think the benefits of having all this stuff together would be pretty huge for you guys etc. 

Anyway, this discussion topic was so on the nose for what we've been wanting to talk with you guys about I felt I had to chime in. Very curious to hear your thoughts on a) the general direction and b) those moderators and admins and coders and designers who would want to help. 

Finally, if any of you are wordpress experts your input is VERY welcome. 
  • edited March 2014
    I'm a little nervous about the separate forums for two reasons. One is the aforementioned concern about these forums suffering without the cruise talk. There are really only about four or five months where the front page isn't filled with cruise stuff, and those months can be sort of slim for various reasons (summer, lack of Glee controversy, etc.). I'm a little worried about these forums dying because really, outside of these forums, I don't have anyone to talk about JoCo with except my 6 y.o. son. He does think that Coulton is the greatest musician since the Vikings invented opera -- so I guess I'm raising him right. But anyway, will people visit both forums and the JCCC facebook group(s), or will it turn into one forum for monkeys and one for ponies? 

My other concern is that it may well make it harder for Land Ponies and/or aspirational Sea Monkeys to hear about the great artists that come on the cruise. I have mentioned before that my playlists are filled with music that I heard about because of the dedicated folks who have recorded cruise performances. Paul and Storm, Roderick/Long Winters, Marian Call, Doubleclicks, Zoe Keating, and Hodgman. Maybe one or two others, but those are the people I started really paying attention to after seeing videos or hearing recordings from the boat. I'm a little worried about being shut out of the cool kids' club and missing out on being exposed to new artists that I can give money to in exchange for cool stuff. I guess one question is whether the JCCC forums will be tied to the booking account or something, thus really shutting out anyone who can't make it onto the boat.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. More later, maybe. 
  • As we've discussed it, the plan would definitely be that cruise forums are open to all. If you have a cruiser account it would also be your forum account.
  • Hey @scarface :) Do I win a kewpie doll for guessing right on the number of THO members?  LOL

I do like the options of having it integrated, though I would be slightly more concerned about security then (ie I have different sets of passwords/logins based on the needed strength.  Forums, I use a fairly insecure password because the worst that can happen is they can post as me, but can't do anything else with it.  It makes logging in easier from non-home or the phone because it doesn't meet the crazy stupid secure requirements.)  If it is going to be attached to booking and such, would definitely be more concerned because of more possibilities for maliciousness, from the outside obviously, but also potentially from the inside, if tiffs develop and people get childish.  I would hope it would never happen, but it's always a possibility.  This was just my own viewpoints on the security aspect. 

I think multisite is a good idea.  While I have a personal preference for other systems for varying reasons - none of which are compelling enough to fight for them - if you are most comfortable with wordpress, that's good enough for me (and I would think most people). 

I think the basic wordpress wiki would be fine.  Most wikis are fairly standard, and if we're going multisite, the few bells and whistles you can get with some are replicated with other plugins.

As far as forum software, I'm going to research that a little bit more.  buddypress definitely looks promising, especially with the facebook integration plugin.  The other two I have heard good things about are wpSymposium, and bbpress.  Wpsymposium provides more of the 'whole shebang' CMS feel, but I am still researching its limitations.  Rob Zombie's page apparently uses that, which makes me giggle for some reason (as I am cruising through sites that use these softwares.)

There are also separate plugins like cmAnswers that could essentially help build a separate cruise FAQ.  That might make it easier too for people to find specific info, without having to dig through forum posts (which is not ideal) 

More to come, time to go running!

With the multisite, it would be easy to go back and forth between these foruma
  • edited March 2014

Sorry @SapphireMind, I've been meaning to say that I agree with you, but it's taken me a long time to collect my thoughts! Now that things are really moving I had better stop dithering. (:

I think it's important to know what our goals are before we start creating a new thing (that's what I've been ruminating on so long.) My personal goals for a Sea Monkey Hub are as follows:

1. Make it easy for people to connect with the community, including:
      1. Find and make connections with individuals
      2. Find and create groups (for geographical location, hobby, Shadow Cruise event, whatever)
    2. Make it easy to find information
      1. A "New Monkey" section with all the usual FAQs
      2. Reference pages for historical information, Twit-arr instructions, anything that people might look for later
      3. Links to relevant Facebook groups, Flickr pools, other external sources
    Current Status
    Goal #1) Facebook is ok, but it only works for those who a) use Facebook and b) find the right link to the right groups. I use FB primarily for JoCo cruise stuff, and it took me until this week to find some of the Sea Monkey groups that are relevant to me! Twitter is my primary method of communication with other Sea Monkeys, but it's not really a community-building platform. The forums provide a reasonable communication platform but it's hard to connect forum handles to the actual people you meet.

Goal #2) We don't currently have a good system for this at all. Facebook is abysmal for archival information, and this forum, lacking a search function, isn't much better. Some information has been transferred to the wiki, but it's not well structured for what we need, and most people never find the information they want.

Features I Want To See
    • Customisable user profiles
      • Visible only to logged-in users
      • As much or as little contact information as each person is comfortable with
      • Option to include a photo
      • Badges for which cruises you've attended
      • Tag cloud of interests
    • Ability to "friend" or connect to other users
      • Preferably also a "private" profile or block user option
      • Private messages between users
    • User groups
      • Groups can be created by anyone
      • Displays list of members
      • Group forum or feed for members to chat, make plans, etc
      • Easy to find, searchable list of all groups available to logged-in users
    • General discussion forum
    • Reference pages for all our accumulated Sea Monkey knowledge
      • FAQs for new Sea Monkeys
      • Cruising tips and tricks
      • Glossary of inside jokes and terms
      • Performer information and links to their stuff
      • Summaries of prior cruise events
    • Links to external sites of interest
      • Compendia of video and audio recordings for each cruise
      • Facebook groups

Based on @scarface's initial overview, I've done a little research and believe all of my goals could be met by a social media plugin like BuddyPress, and the suggested wiki plugin.

In my opinion, yes, JCCC needs its own wiki.

I am strongly AGAINST Facebook integration, because I do not integrate my Facebook with anything. I am slightly less strongly against turning this into a full-blown social media site with activity feeds because I already have too many social media sites to keep up with! In my opinion the public forum and private message features would provide enough communication options. For this reason I prefer BuddyPress over wpSymposium, because the former allows the option to turn off the activity feed component. (Feel free to debate me on this point if you have a compelling case for all the social networking doodads.)

As @SapphireMind suggests, a Q&A plugin is also a great suggestion for helping people find the answers they're seeking. I have a few concerns about the StackOverflow style—is it likely that the voting feature would be abused? Would people post there instead of using the forums at all? There are definite advantages to anyone being able to ask or answer a question, though I don't feel it completely replaces the need for a FAQ elsewhere (probably the wiki.)

In case it isn't obvious, I'm in the Want To Help camp.
  • Run completed, stupid vaio keyboard still not working, sigh. 

Looking through them and the different setups people have, I agree, buddypress does seem like a good solution.  One caveat I've read a lot though about buddypress is the difficulty in theme wrangling, just as an fyi.   I also agree that after going through it all, wp-symposium has too many features for our needs.  It is always possible that after running one system for a year or more, we may want different options or more, but buddypress is a good place to start.

The facebook integration use wouldn't be mandatory, but for people who don't want yet another acct, it's a quck and easy way to log in. 

I'm still researching the different QA things; if you require a login, that might help with abuse potential, but ideally, in my perfect internet world, the faq would be pretty straightforward questions. i.e. "Q. Does Twitarr use outside internet? A. No, it is an intranet only onboard.  Wiki on twitarr (link), twitarr development forum (link)" etc.  Hopefully it would work that way.  If we found it wasn't, we could always switch to a different kind of FAQ plugin.  Or set aside an area on the wiki for it.  It doesn't work well for convos.  As a night owl, I have spent a fair amount of time on YahooAnswers for shits and giggles.  It is filled with insanity, but also has some great info.  I help kids with their spanish homework (though I refuse the ones who want you to do the whole thing)   That site has millions of users, most of whom aren't "invested" in the group, like we would be.  But the upside is that it allows for crowdsourced answers and keeps the forums clear of those cut and dry questions. Having a way for admins maybe to star questions, or maybe cull them from the qa section into a more static faq.  If that is done in the wiki though, you would not necessarily want to make it generally editable.  That might be better as a blog post?

Uh, if I didn't mention it before and it wasn't completely obvious, I'm happy to help :D
  • edited March 2014
    Wow.... The "shadow cruise" is getting so organized! Will there soon need to be a "shadow shadow cruise" for events that don't fit into it, or for ones that folks dream up while on the boat? ;-)
  • Nah, there's always the ability to organize on the fly stuff, but with so many people attending, it is hard to organize all of it on the fly and not have people feel left out/confused/lost  :)
  • @scarface ; Just nudging you  :)
  • I would prefer to have tapatalk integration to make reading on mobile devices easier.

Other than that, I've more experience working with phpbb integration, but I am open to adapt to whatever. 
  • @scarface another nudge to see what's up.
  • Just here to offer a JCCC5 premonkey point of view. Pretty much agree with all of thte above, particularly @SapphireMind and @Chicazul. I think I've found most of the SeaMonkey stuff online, but who knows? I think it would be nice to have a separate website for the cruise-specific forums and where all the useful links could be collected and prominently displayed in a menu. 

I am an admin for a 15-month-old facebook space-enthusiast group of over 9000 members that was running into all of the aforementioned problems. We opened up forum 8 months ago which has less than 300 members. We also put up a website to hold all the links to pertinent stuff in one location, but the traffic there is also very low compared to the facebook page. So I have recent experience with attempting to port users to a new site.

Casual users will probably only frequent the first place they find, but those of us who become immersed (obsessed) with our hobbies would probably find a new site extremely useful. 
  • Have I mentioned recently that I have the sea-monkey.org domain? I haven't decided what to do with it, but something like this would be a fine purpose.
  • I still have twit-arr.com if anyone would like to take charge of it.
  • All you would need is some hosting space and LDAP.  From there you can set up something like a wordpress blog + a phpBB deal.  Doesn't need to be fancy.  Of course, although technically possible, will it end up "splitting" the community?
  • Well, that's why I've not done a lot, because the goal is to unite it, and in order to do that, we have to have buy in from The Home Office(tm) because they would have to link/promote the site etc.  We have all the tools to do it and the people who are willing, we just need @rhaje @scarface @paulandstorm to give a thumbs up and go-ahead.
  • Again, from the technical side, checking a grand total of one site, you can get a cloud server to run it for about $300 a year.  Not a lot really.