Selinker & Max make a game on a boat

edited February 2014 in JoCo Cruise
Hey new cruise friends! Max here from Cards Against Humanity. This year Mike Selinker and I are going on the JCCC for the first time, and we're going to work with you guys to design and prototype a new tabletop game on board. After we get back, we'll post the whole thing online.

I'm going to try to bring a 3D printer, vinyl cutter, and CNC router on board, and we'll have those available for people to tinker with or make their own game pieces.

I think P&S put us on the schedule for an opening brainstorming type thing; we'd love to see you there and hear your ideas, and start thinking about what we're going to make!

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Whaaaat 3D printer and CNC router? You are my new best friend!

By which I mean: Hi! I'm Sara, welcome to the nerd cruise! Thank you for all the stuff you're doing to make the cruise more awesome. I look forward to seeing what you and Mike make! I also hope I get a chance to ogle your toys. (:
  • Hey Sara! Looking forward to hanging out as well. All of the prototyping equipment is provided by Inventables here in Chicago, they're also donating a bunch of production materials.
    • 3D printer is an Up! Mini by PP3DP, I picked it because it's small and reliable
    • CNC router is a design by Inventables called the Shapeoko... I'm building it myself from parts so that I can disassemble it, take it on the boat in pieces, and reassemble it on board (it's pretty big)
  • I briefly thought about bringing a printer, but I am not that ambitious of a packer. Well done! I have a co-worker who really wants a Shapeoko. I look forward to seeing that. This should be all kinds of fun.
  • Oh wow, I did not put together that Max was CAH Max!  If I had known that, I would have given you guys so much more shit about being adjacent to Speed Meeting ;)
  • Oooh, this sounds like fun. Also, Chicago? I'm going there for a few days after the cruise! What's awesome there, apart from Fermilab?
  • Selinker & Max: Just add water.
  • Mmmmm....  Robots.
  • Re: Chicago

1)  Fermilab's about 35-40 miles away, just FYI for travel planning purposes, which you probably already knew but just in case.

2)  Everything. Everything is awesome.

C) Some of my favorite things in no particular order:

i. Field Museum
    ii. Museum of Science and Industry
    iii. Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company (home of the pizza pot pie and the 45 minute wait!)
    iv. The Magic Cabaret
    v. Redmoon ( http://www.redmoon.org/ ) if they have any crazy event or performance going on
    vi. Live theater, bajillions of small theater companies everywhere being awesome because they are part of a team
    vii. Lincoln Park Zoo (admission is free, unlike that stinky Brookfield Zoo which is not technically in Chicago and thus less awesome and also they smell)
    viii. Mold-O-Ramas, available at aforementioned museums and zoos, like any great museum or zoo anywhere (hey...they're kind of like old-timey 3D printers!)
    ix.  The tall ship Windy out of Navy Pier, though not this time of year, and not anything else at Navy Pier ever except Chicago Shakespeare Theater.
    x. River architecture tours, again probably not this time of year, which is unfortunate because they really are great.
    xi. Inconsistent ordering schemes.

I've never actually been to the Adler Planetarium (which is all up near the Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum general area) so I can't vouch for that.

It's not unusual for visiting friends to want to make a trip to Powell's Bookstore down by the University of Chicago campus too.

I now return you to the awesomeness that is being told there is going to be a 3D printer on a cruise ship...is it possible this will be the first time something is 3D-printed on a cruise ship?

• Wow!  That's awesome, I'll be there.  I haven't yet played CAH, but that's one of the things I'm really looking forward to trying on the nerd boat.  Awesome of you to bring a 3D printer too, I can't wait to see it!
  • @Angelastic Let's talk on the cruise! I have many suggestions. Mostly food related.
  • According to this schedule, we have an opening session at noon on Sunday, and a closing session at 4:15 on Friday.
  • Ooooh, toys... 
  • Thanks for the tips, @mikesphar! I know Fermilab is far away, but I'm actually visiting a friend who works there and lives nearby, who can take me to Chicago for one or two of the three days I'll be there and Fermilab for the other(s).

I know myself well enough to avoid bookstores when I have a luggage weight limit, so thanks for warning me about the particularly tempting one. :)

I forgot to mention I am also excited about the idea of a 3D printer on a cruise ship. There could be thing-building contests between Max and Selinker with a 3D printer and Nathan Sawaya with Lego, and all the contests would end with a group hug and some 3D-printed Lego.
  • Welcome!