Formal dinners: Help me dress like an adult

edited February 2014 in JoCo Cruise
So I am the kind of person who, given the choice, would be in t-shirts and jeans (or shorts) all day, every day. Royal Carribbean's guidelines suggest that there will be 1 "smart casual" night, and 2 "formal" nights, and I'm a little worried that I'll end up looking like a rube. :)

For the "casual" nights, I was thinking khaki pants (eg, Dockers) with a colored dress shirt. (but no tie or jacket). For both the "smart casual" and "formal" nights, I was thinking dress pants, dress shirt, jacket, and tie. (No tux for me). Is that going to be sufficient?

Also, I have never been able to pack any nice clothes without needing to do some serious ironing when I get to my destination. Will there be anywhere I can iron stuff? Any laundry facilities available? Past JCC attendees, how have you handled this?

And this seems like a lot of clothes to pack, too. I can feel my dream of flying down to FLL without checking a bag slipping away from me. How do you guys minimize the amount of clothing you pack while still having enough?

EDIT: Fixed typo. Thanks, ghalidrim.

Comments

• Hi @jcreigh! Don't worry, the JCCC contingent tends to be a tshirt and jeans kind of crowd, so you won't be the only one who prefers casual attire!

What you've described for your "casual" dinner outfit should in fact suffice for smart casual—maybe nicer slacks instead of khakis. I've been led to believe there will be two formal nights on our cruise, one the night of the moustache formal and one others. For those, jacket and tie are recommended, but if you REALLY don't want to pack that much you can choose to eat somewhere other than the main dining room!

Another option is to rent a suit in Florida—it's a common enough issue that cruise lines offer a tuxedo rental service, and there should be other options in FLL. If you'd rather bring your suit (which may fit better!), RCI offers a pressing service for about $5, and dry cleaning for $10.
  • There is also no shame in wearing the same thing to dinner more than once, especially if it's pretty much your Dinner Clothes being worn only at dinner, giving the outfit less opportunity to collect soil and odors.
  • Relevant information from The Home Office, linked in the wiki. :)
  • @jcreigh -

As @chicazul & @villicious said, you've got options. On smart casual, think "business casual", which for me ends up being some sort of polo or button-down shirt, slacks, and dress shoes (I bring one pair and use them for meals all week, so they're dressy enough to go with The Suit and The Suit V2 for formal nights). You can get away with one suit, 2 shirts, 2 ties if you want to go that way without repeating a look, you can arrange for tux rental on the ship, or you can punt and have dinner at the buffet or Johnny Rockets (or via room service) on the formal nights. On every one of the dozen cruises I've been on, there's always a few who don't want to do the formal thing. They just don't go to the main dining room those nights.

Historically, the dining room staff has been briefed on our group's eccentricities when it comes to formal wear, and I have no doubt that has already been factored in this time 'round as well. That said, the guideline is to please make some sort of effort. Someone in one of the previous cruise threads described it as cosplaying a typical cruise passenger, and for some, thinking of it that way seems to help.

Packing: I'll admit I've never tried to pack a suit into a carry-on. There are a couple options. Rolling seems to help with shirts and slacks, and if you can pack the suitcoat in such a way that it's not sharply folded, that could help (start it on the bottom of the case, pack on top of it, fold it over the top of the other packed clothes). There are dozens of "how to pack" videos on the interwebs that would be more help than I probably am. And as Sara said, the ship has a pressing service that's not too bad. Unfortunately, RCCL is one of the lines that's gone away from having a self-service passenger laundry room (with irons!) available.
  • Last year I think Wil Wheaton wanted to arrange for a group of sea
    monkeys to eat at the buffet (where you can wear casual clothes) on one
    of the formal nights, although that was cancelled if I remember
    correctly. So (just in case you thought so, and you turn to Famous
    People for guidance) there's no shame in skipping the main dining room
    with its formal dress requirements if you prefer to stay casual, and
    you're likely to find sea monkeys to dine with either way.

That
    said, if there is a tiny part of you that would like to dress up and
    just hasn't because the environment never seemed to warrant it, go nuts.
    Whatever you wear, even if you're the only one in the crowd dressed
    that way, sea monkeys are unlikely to think think you are underdressed
    or overdressed, just comfortable or expressing creativity/cosplaying/wearing sequins
    just in case you end up on stage. It's only the RCI staff that might not let you into the dining room if you're not formal enough, and even they are unlikely to throw you out for some subtle difference between smart casual and formal that you can't perceive yourself.

As for ironing, I haven't done it since sewing class in high school, though as a woman I have a lot of iron-free options when it comes to formalwear (gowns, smart-looking tops that aren't made of stiff, wrinkle-preserving fabric, etc.) My only two dress shirts are wrinkle-resistant ones from Tilley that don't need ironing, so that might be an option for you. It looks like Tilley also has dress pants and blazers, though everything they sell is more expensive than I remember. Alternatively, I remember hearing about sea monkeys in other years that brought some kind of steam thingy to iron their clothes with, since actual irons are a fire risk that's not allowed. Yet another option (assuming you're not doing any long-haul flights, and don't mind cosplaying a CEO) is wearing the suit on the plane.
  • Regarding wrinkles: There is a mini clothes-steamer called My Little Steamer® (really?) which does a good enough job and IMHO is worth the baggage space/weight. It's available at places like Bed Bath & Beyond.

And personally, I'm going to forgo the jacket this year and go with a good dress shirt and tie. It's the tropics, man!

See you all real soon™!

• My husband brings a suit jacket each year and just hangs it up as soon as we get into the room, and the wrinkles usually resolve themselves by the time formal night happens. You can also get a wrinkle release spray - you basically spray your clothes with it and then kind of tug on the fabric to smooth it out. You can get this in little 3 ounce bottles that fit perfectly into your TSA-approved freedom baggie for effortless carry-on.

As for packing strategies to both maximize space and minimize wrinkles, there are two schools of thought. One is to lay out the suit in the bottom of the suitcase, then pack all your other items on top, and fold the suit over the clothes. The other is to roll all your clothes. We have done the latter in the past but I am going to try the former this year since I plan on wearing suits myself on formal nights. We have thus far managed to go on all prior JCCCs without checking a bag, so it is doable.
  • Just a note, the RCI "forbidden items" list now includes travel steamers as well as irons. I've forgotten who mentioned it, but this is apparently a change since last year.
  • Yes to what everyone else has said!  Bundling is your friend when it comes to keeping clothes as wrinkle-free as possible without a check-in garment bag.

And you can create a "steam-room effect" to help relax not-so-drastic wrinkles by hanging the slightly wrinkled clothing in the bathroom when you take a nice hot shower.  Depending on how bad the wrinkles are, you may need to shake the clothes out and/or let it hang out in the bathroom with the door closed for a bit after your shower.  Just make sure to give yourself enough time for said item to then air dry in your room before you wear it.
  • Seems I'm working toward "Cruise Contrarian" but I'm skipping the formal clothes. It's not a matter of packing, but more that I'm on vacation, and no one is going to tell me how to dress for food. What am I, a monkey?
  • Also, isn't it showing 1 smart casual and 2 formal? 
  • I think the no steamers rule has been around for a few yrs...  Just like lots of other things (booze, extension cords, etc.), lots slip though security.

I cannot recommend wrinkle release spray enough. Downy makes one and you can find it in the travel aisle or the laundry aisle if you wish to make your own travel bottle. I've used it for years and just keep refilling the little bottle. The trick is to hang & spray the item in plenty of time for it to dry. I usually do it several days before (when I unpack) or at least the night before.

Rolling + using the spray works great for us.
  • edited February 2014
    My wife and I share a garmet bag - the good ones have a bunch of pockets that you can pack other, non-garmet things into. I think last year we managed to get two or three pair of shoes in as well as a bunch of other clothes (and the formal-type things as well)

We don't exactly travel light.  :)

I prefer packing a jacket and skipping the tie to the other way around. I wore sport jacket and tie for the second formal night last year, FYI.
  • To answer a few questions/issues:

- We've never seen any appreciable difference between "smart casual" nights and the "regular" nights. You might be a little less likely to get in wearing jeans and a ripped t-shirt, or something.

- @Doctor_E Nothing contrarian about it; nobody is required to attend the formal night dinners, diff'rent strokes, etc. As long as you're not trying to barge your way into the dining room on formal nights, loudly declaiming your right to dress down, of course. :)

P
  • I admire people who can put work into vacations, I just don't have that DNA. That, and I hate rules, and dining hall rules are the worst.

@paulandstorm Any rants will be performed in the buff.
  • I was going to agree with you @Doctor_E, and then I remembered I built an entire webapp for this vacation. 

Apparently I have that DNA. I did not realize that until just now.  :)
  • @Kvort_the_Duck haha, yeah, every year I go, "man, I don't want to spend the next 2 months working evenings on CruiseMonkey" and then... I do it again.  Every year, I say "THIS time, I've got a good base and I'll just update it next year!" and every year I refactor it to the point I've written an entirely new app.

*sigh*
  • I hardly ever have reason to dress up. I hardly even have reason to dress (I work from home about 28 days of every 30). I like nice clothes, and while they're too expensive to wear regularly, I like the excuse to dress my best that the formal nights give me.

I don't even see it remotely as work. 

Then again, it's entirely possible that the only people from our group who put in more actual work on board JCCC3 than I did were the official members of Home Office. So... *shrug* :-) 
  • Last year, I wore a blue blazer with nice pants and dress shirts for the non-formal nights (no tie, though), and my tuxedo for the formal nights (with a bow tie; what am I, a farmer?). I own a tux for unrelated reasons, so that was easy for me. Suits are fine on the formal nights, though.

If packing is getting you down, you could opt for a blue suit for formal nights, and then bust the jacket out as a blue blazer (totally kosher!) for the non-formal evenings. This is a common "dress nice on the road" trick. 

I didn't feel comfortable doing just a sport coat and slacks on the formal nights. I wouldn't swear folks didn't do it, but the whole point of a formal night is for people to dress up together.

As far as packing, it turns out to be easier than you'd think. There are many online videos showing exactly how to safely fold a suit jacket, which is awesome, and if you do the "blue suit" thing, you can pair it down quite a bit more. Also, as Sara noted, onboard rental is decidedly affordable (moreso than on dry land, weirdly). 
  • @chetman - I went with the long tie for my tux. So apparently I'm a farmer.  :)

(That made me lol when I read it - just so you know no offense was taken)
  • It should be noted that in addition to wearing a tux with @chicazul created accoutrements, I'll be wearing this as well - cleared with RCL by the Home Office, even!
  • Hey, is that picture from Otherworld?
  • In Hawaii formal wear is either ceremonial, or at the worst Dockers and a nice Aloha shirt. Most times, shorts are completely acceptable, as well as sandals.
    Even if I wear my nicest Aloha shirt, everyone will just think I'm dressing like I'm on vacation. I haven't taken my suit out of the bag in years.
  • @chetman: I don't know much about formalwear. Is there something significant about the suit being blue? I googled 'blue blazer' but only found a flaming cocktail.

@rhaje: Everyone has different things they consider fun and things they consider as work. I'm told some people even like cleaning, and think doing anything with a computer is work.
  • My interest in packing light outweighs my interest in dressing fancy, so for formal nights I have a blazer, tie, and slacks that I wear for all the formal nights. I love all the dressing up others do and am a bit sorry that I don't contribute more to it, but, well, you can't have everything.
  • edited February 2014
    @kvort, I meant no offense, so I'm glad none was taken! I was referencing an Alec Baldwin line from 30 Rock. As for long ties, I got married in one (with a tux); they're increasingly acceptable in formalwear, at least in the US.

Formal means different things in different locations, as @doctor_e notes, but RCI is tilting towards the European/American tradition of black tie formalwear.

@angelastic, most men (who need suits) will have either a blue or charcoal suit. They're very flexible, can be dressed up or down, and are very unlikely to become unfashionable as long as you get a classically cut one (ie, don't go in for a goofy number of buttons, or really wide lapels, or something like that). 

An even more basic item of dress clothing for most men is the blue blazer (not the cocktail). They're hugely flexible and can "dress up" almost any outfit, so it's also a very, very common look. 

Sport coats, blazers, and suit coats are all technically different things, but the differences are somewhat esoteric and generally unnoticed outside mens' wear experts.

Because of this, the jacket from a navy blue suit can be pressed into service as a blue blazer, worn with unmatched pants, for a less formal look, which is especially useful for packing light situations.
  • edited February 2014
    "Because of this, the jacket from a navy blue suit can be pressed into service as a blue blazer, worn with unmatched pants, for a less formal look, which is especially useful for packing light situations."

I was right there with you until you wrote that. ;)
  • I wonder why you'd disagree? It's a broadly supported idea, even among menswear cognoscenti. 

It's not ideal, but when traveling we routinely make fashion choices we wouldn't make at home with a full wardrobe out our disposal. It's absolutely not something I'd suggest outside travel, though -- owning a blue suit doesn't obviate the need to also own the blue blazer. 

If you were filling your closet from scratch, you'd buy the blazer first anyway, and only pick up the suit later. At this point, many folks never get that far at all -- while "wears suits all the time" used to describe lots of white-collar jobs, it's pretty much confined to law, very high end consulting, finance, and high-level government at this point. I've been in consulting for most of my career, and haven't put on a suit for client meetings since the late 1990s, though I do have colleagues working in DC who wear them more frequently.
  • Okay, I suppose for travel. Though even for the cruise, a suit is not necessary. For the sea monkey set, you'll be more likely to need a tux (which obviously you wouldn't use as separates unless you've had a lot to drink) than a suit.  Those who will be bringing a suit will likely have more than one because it's going to be a thing. 

But if you're traveling across Europe and need a suit but don't want another blazer, sure, as separates. 
  • @chetman - I have now used that line four times this evening. Which is awesome.

(Wife is watching an episode of Downton Abbey where they are farming in a Tux. So it is appropriate usage)
  • Can we get Jesse Thorn to come along and give people menswear advice? (and also act as bailiff for Judge John Hodgman.)
  • @Kvort_the_Duck: @kimpromp2 and I also share my two-suiter, which ends up with 2 formal dresses, 2 suits, 2 pair slacks, at least 2 (often more) shirts, at least 2 ties (I have just acquired a racetrack bowtie. Be afraid if I learn how to tie the damn thing -- I'll find a guide somewhere, no need to point me), a couple pair of dress shoes (in the shoe pockets. What am I, a farmer? ;) ), and in the various nooks and crannies, collar stays, lapel pins, braces, belts, etc. etc.

Luckily, it's a reasonably patient 2-suiter that is perfectly happy to swallow far more than 2 suits (really: it even has room for 8 hangers on its tabs!) and transports the lot with grace and relative ease. It also spends the drive from Houston unfolded in the huge locking trunk some people call a "truck bed" on the back of my pickup.
  • I decided to try renting a tux on board this time, $100 plus accessories seemed well worth removing the hassle of packing. 
  • Renting the tux is nice, but be sure to try it on *as soon as you get it* and if needed make an appointment with the ship's tailor for adjustments. Timing could get tight especially if the first formal night is Monday night, and the tailor is in highest demand earliest in the cruise.

Also just as a general FYI, the ship's tailor can help make adjustments to your own clothes if needed as well. Last year a pair of my pants were a bit long, and the tailor hemmed them for me for free. (Though he was also making some alterations to my tux as well.)

• Speaking of, do not assume that, just because they scheduled the first formal night for Monday, that this in any way gives confidence that they can clean or press your clothes by the first formal night. There will likely be a big rush on those services, so if you send your clothes for pressing, you might not have anything formal to wear Monday.
  • foodgeek, we're on the same page. 

Re: cleaning, as a data point it took them close to 36h to clean and press my formal shirt last year after a mishap on the first formal night.

At this point, I'm trying to decide whether to make my "nonformal" outfit a tropical suit or a blazer-and-pants. 

• Do we know when the Fez formal is going to be yet?
  • I don't think the 4APFTMMF&F will be dated until the official schedule is released, but it almost certainly will corespond with one of the ship's formal nights, which should be Monday and Thursday.
  • Fez formal is 9pm on Thu, a formal night.
  • I plan on wearing a kilt, personally.