JCCC4 Rock Band video gaming

edited February 2014 in JoCo Cruise
The question was asked on the Facebook 2014 cruise group about Rock Band, so I thought I'd bring it up here too.

Quick primer for those who aren't into video gaming / have never played Rock Band:
Rock Band is a video game where you get to play plastic instruments to real music.  There are player positions for vocals (up to 3 microphone players ), lead guitar + bass guitar (both represented by 5 button guitar controllers), drums (electronic drum kit), and in some cases keyboards (22-key keyboard controller).

It takes a fair bit of planning and logistics to get all of this gear loaded onto the boat, so if there's enough interest I will bring my Crate Full of Rock Band once again for people to play and enjoy.
http://
You can see my complete song list for Rock Band here 

For reference, last year's JCCC3 I brought 3 microphones, 2 guitars, 1 keyboard.  Didn't bring the drums because they're heavy and bulky and I just didn't have enough assistance to get them onto the boat on my own.

I may be persuaded to bring the drums this year, as there were definitely people interested in playing drums.

Please post here if you are interested in playing, so I can get a gauge of how many people we may need to accommodate.

Comments

• I'd be interested.
  • I love me some Rock Band. Was playing last night in fact.

Nice song list.  :)
  • Always love Rock Band.  :)
  • Yes yes yes!
  • I'm sure I'd be horrible, but I'd be up for giving it a shot.
  • The biggest problem last year was the inability to hook up to speakers.  Are we on better footing for that?
  • I might like to play as a vocalist, if the timing is right. :-)
  • The hookups in the room should be the same this year as last year.

Video: VGA and component inputs. The component connectors are BNC, so you will probably need BNC-RCA adapters to plug in. Last year, the RCI tech guy was able to supply these, but for about $6 you can get them from Amazon and have your own.

Audio: 3.5mm and RCA L/R (White/Red). You should be able to pipe that into the overhead speakers.

Hopefully that answers all of the connections requirements. :-) Now to find a time to slot you into a room...
  • I enjoyed jamming on the last or second to last night on JCCC3.  Icemage thank you for even considering bringing all your gear again.  I would say being able to hook up to some better speakers would definitely improve the experience.  I would again be down for some Rockband jam sessions during the week, drums or no drums. :D
  • I also love me some Rock Band, would love to get in on this if I can. I'm mostly a vocals and drums kind of guy. 

@Icemage is your kit for 360 / PS3 / Wii / something else? I've got a reasonably good Ion drum kit and third-party pedal, and I may have a bit of space in my luggage yet, so if there's sufficient interest and compatibility I'll look at the logistics and see if I can make it work. Pretty sure I also have one of those 360 keytars and a spare mic or two, those are definitely more portable so if they'd be useful I can bring them along.
  • Based on the link above, looks like he's PS3.

I love the Ion kit. I went through two sets of drum kits before I decided to splurge. Completely worth it. Also understand if you decide you can't pack the thing - it's not tiny.
  • I'm on PS3, and I do own an Ion drum kit.  It's very large and heavy.  I can bring it if people show enough interest, as I'm driving and not flying, but simply getting it onto the ship along with everything else is... well... "challenging".  :)

• Doh, yeah I missed the PS3 in your link, sorry. Pretty sure the Ion kits are platform specific, so unless anyone knows a tricky way to get the 360 version working with PS3, guess I'll leave mine at home. 

@Icemage if you do decide to bring drums I'd be very interested in playing, but I get that they'd be a pain in the ass to get on board, so if you opt not to, I don't blame you a bit. I could always bring just the pedal if that would help, I don't think it's platform specific. Either way I can bring an extra mic or two, those are USB and should work with any system.

Sixteen days!
  • We all have the same good taste at least.  :)

I just finished moving, and although the kit collapses a bit it still took most of a large moving box. Not to mention the time to collapse and rebuild it. As much as I do love to drum, I don't think it's worth it. There comes a time to remember it's your vacation too, and I think this might be that time.  :)

@maladroit - If I remember correctly from when I bought mine, you just swap out the module for xbox, ps3, or an actual synth module. I also recall the modules being almost as expensive as the entire kit.
  • @Icemage For getting things on-board, you could always parcel the kit out to multiple people, so no one person is dragging all of the things...
  • I just got the all-clear from the Home Office to set up Rock Band on the ship. :)

Not sure if there's going to be a Shadow Cruise Event Schedule, but the time slots I have are:

Monday, Jamaica Room 11:30am - 2pm
    Friday, Jamaica Room, 9am-11am

• I am stoked about this.
  • I am very very very excited about this.
  • Slight modification to the above from Home Office due to scheduling conflicts.

9-11:30am Monday, Jamaica Room

11:30am-1:30pm, Friday, St. Thomas Room (this second session bumps up right against the final concert, so I might have to cut this one a bit short in order for people to get to the concert on time, as well as give myself some tear-down time).
  • Can I call dibs on Sabotage? 

I would like to yell Sabotage, please.

• Home Office let me know yesterday that they can move the 2nd time slot from 11:30am to 11:00am to give me some teardown time as well as participants some time to get ready for the concert. :)

Yes, you can call dibs on Sabotage.