JCCC4: RPG?

edited January 2014 in JoCo Cruise
Any interest in chucking some dice on the boat?  Seems like some tablets with PDFs and/or a couple of books would be easy enough to bring aboard, and a couple of one-shot or 2-3 session games would be an easy way to closeout a night.

Comments

• I was planning to bring along a few games, and maybe post sign-up sheets in the game room for one-shots on shore days. (I am not a tropical beach person; I see no reason to get off the boat at all this trip.) I have limited RPG experience, but I've played a couple of games of A Penny For My Thoughts and Fiasco, and there are a few more games I'd like to try if I get the chance.
  • I've never played tabletop RPGs, but I've always wanted to try it.  So I'm hoping someone brings a few games so I can give it a go.
  • Any requests for stuff?  Seems like 4th would be easy.  Numenara is a blast.  Something piratey might be hilarious.
  • Big bag o'dice is the first thing to pack. I'm pretty sure we can buy clothes on the boat, but doubt they'll have any d20's.

I'm a chronic gamer. Do we even have to sleep?
  • Yes, gamers need to sleep. At least, I do. If I push myself too hard at the beginning of the cruise, I'll be a wreck by the end of it. I have a lot more fun, in the long and medium term, if I get plenty of rest every day. (Advice not necessarily applicable to the non-arthritic, but as a general principle it seems sound.)
  • Don't forget to bring a few extra dice to give Wil for his collection!
  • Hell, I wanna bring him a beer.  Dunno how I'm gonna smuggle that onboard, though.
  • I'm working on a list of games to bring, trying to choose ones that are compact (in terms of what I need to pack), playable in one reasonably short session, and easy to teach. So far I've decided on:

Fiasco. 3-5 players, probably best with 4. I'll bring the Transatlantic (ocean liner) and Saturday Night 78 (co-written by Wil Wheaton) playsets, at least. The characters do their best to achieve grandiose ambitions. The players do their best to make their inevitable failure entertaining.

A Penny For My Thoughts. Again, I'd say 3-5 players, probably best with 4. The characters are all amnesiac, taking a special drug that allows them to retrieve memories by accessing each other's subconscious minds: the players discover their characters through randomly drawn "memory triggers", and questions and prompts from the other players. Very much in the "Yes And" tradition of improv, with clever mechanics.

Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple. 3-5 players. A universe full of tiny, Little Prince-esque worlds. The players are pilgrims, travelling from world to world answering pleas for help, with names that indicate both their individual approach to solving problems and how they tend to get into trouble. I haven't played this, but it looks like good-natured fun.

Until We Sink. 4-5 players. A small group of natives and tourists at an isolated tropical resort wait for the weekly ferry, the only link to the outside world, while the island gradually sinks beneath them. Every day, puzzling events occur, which the players attempt to make sense of. Another one I haven't played, but would like to.

In the Belly of the Whale. 3-5 players. In the year 1641, a group of people sit by an oil lamp, within the belly of a great whale, passing the time by telling stories of how they came to be there. Each of their stories, they discovers, intersects with those of their companions. Each of them has a secret motivation, the pursuit of which led them here, to the belly of the whale. Again, I haven't played it, but it sounds really cool.

• I've been wanting to try Numenera. I'd be interested in getting in on that if it started.
  • I updated the collection list at rpggeek.com (user ID and password: jococruisecrazy) with the games I'm bringing. It might be a good idea to add games like Numenara that you want to play, even if you aren't going to bring them. Just put your forum name in the comments field and say something like "would like to play" and whether or not you're bringing a copy and whether or not you're willing to teach the game.