SeaMonkey Mail - Post-mortem!

edited March 2014 in JoCo Cruise
I've not been active on the forums this year, but on facebook I was
talking to people about doing a little gift exchange, similar to what
many groups do on Disney Cruise Lines.  If you are interested, here's an
information sheet, with a link to the form so you can sign up if you
want to.  Of course it is completely voluntary  :)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mur6q1p5enk2N4WxW2VkhJlVjL6F1YLfw2WutJ5a3mw/edit?usp=sharing

Edited to put it in the right section

Edited again to put in the cutoff.  It looks like the groups will have ~10 people in them each.  If you want to join, please do.  :D 

Comments

• That sounds like fun!  I'll sign up as soon as I'm home and have my room info.  I assume we'll get info on how many gifts we need to bring early enough to have them ready?
  • Yep :)  Hopefully I'll leave this open for a week or two to see the total interest, and whether we need to split into groups of 10 or so.  I wouldn't think we would go over 15 people per group. Again, some people might want to make extra trinkets for others, which is fine. But each person would only be "responsible" for the gifts to the people in their smaller group.

Last time I did it, I gifted everyone participating (~50) but some people only gifted for their group.  The extras are just that, extras :)
  • Great!  I already have an idea of what to make.  Any chance of finding out the favorite JoCo songs of each person in my group?  If not, no big deal.
  • We can definitely ask specific questions of group members when it is settled  :)
  • Okay, we're in. I have some fun ideas. But does Royal Caribbean have someplace to hang pockets on the outside of the door?
  • Yep. There is a little thing where they stick the itinerary for the day, you can hang it off that :)
  • edited January 2014
    here is a pic of an rci door  http://s887.photobucket.com/user/tkemp22/media/CRUISE2010045.jpg.html

So a hook might be handy, or you can fasten it around or use the bottom or the holes.  Just nothing that will damage :)
  • Thanks for the picture. I'll do a soft cloth loop and see how that works out.
  • Oooh, sounds like fun!
  • how far in advance are we going to get details on our groups?
  • By the beginning of February.  I think I'll make Jan 31 the hard stop for signups.  Well soft stop...If there are latecomers who want to do it together, I certainly won't stop anyone  :) 
  • edited January 2014
    Ok, so the internet seems to have eaten my post.  But just a heads up that RC's policy on door hangings (according to the pre-cruise Q&A answers) is that they can't include personal information of the people in that room.  Including names.  So no names on your mail "boxes".
  • I had my first name on a bunch of signs last year. Paul and Storm agreed they likely wouldnt have an issue, especially with just first names.
  • I'll stick with initials then. Do we have any idea how many folks will be participating?
  • Right now we're up to 30, but there are more joining quickly.  I will still keep the groups around 10, no more than 15. 
  • Hi, I'm new to JoCo and just saw this. Am I correct in assuming these are child friendly? And we can still sign up till midnight tonight?
  • Yes child friendly and it's too late as of my posting right now
  • Sorry, I was unexpected without internet and was forced to rock in a corner frantically until it returned.  I think I'll have enough kids for them to exchange amongst themselves  :)  I also realized a major fail in the signups by not having people add their email address.  :/  I'll be asking people to add it to their group spreadsheet - which I will publish later today  :)
  • Everyone will have 9 people to gift to (except the kids) but I need everyone to fill in an email address here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApfbnwesRXa7dDRrZ25QTjkybVZkZG1MVVN5SWZIN0E&usp=sharing so I can send you your list of people!
  • It won't let me add my email address.
  • fixed it, forgot to change edit settings!
  • Here are your lists of who you are trading gifts with!  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApfbnwesRXa7dDRrZ25QTjkybVZkZG1MVVN5SWZIN0E&usp=sharing  Email me if you have any questions or comments.  The kids are pulled off to the side as well as in the main groups, so they can exchange between themselves as well - they might not be up to making adult gifts  :D
  • Awesome! Thank you!
  • Thank you so much for organizing this and playing Sea Monkey Sudoku to get everyone into groups. I know that's the kind of thing that can drive you batty. :D

• thank you! I'm super excited for this!!

• 7315  is the correct room, I am updating it on the sheet
  • @sapphiremind...yay!! Question..is there a way to email this to myself? Thanks again for doing this!
  • Ms. Fellows email is on the list, and sparky, you should be able to "share" it to yourself, or just C&p the link from this post.
  • Thx. Actually for on wireless boat....tried Google Drive no problem! (One less piece of paper)!
  • Just wanted to post-mort this and say that I loved loved loved SeaMonkey mail!
  • I did not like it the day some snorks put trash in my mailbox.  
  • I'm not being sassy, but how do you know it was snorks who did that?
  • I suppose if it was a monkey who put trash in my mailbox they likely are really snorks and not so much monkeys after all.  This was not a kindly coupon this was garbage.  

• Definitely have to do this again next year. 
  • I really enjoyed doing this. I am amazed at some folks talents and creativity. Will definitely participate again next year, and with more time to plan, I have ideas(TM)...
  • So glad people enjoyed it.  Next year it will be even more awesome with more advance planning  :D 
  • @SapphireMind - not only was it fun, the staff in charge of my room seemed to love it and were worried about making sure I got my stuff, AND they used it to leave me notes as well, and added bonus, this thread is what gets 100% of the credit for me figuring out there were facebook forums!

For two of the rooms listed in my group there weren't any bags on the outside of the door, or any markers whatsoever.  I checked two different days (but still haven't ruled out that I'm crazy.) To make it more confusing there were monkey mailbags on the doors next to them ... I was incredibly torn on what to do. I hung my little gift bags on the doors listed but I have no idea of the recipients received them. 

Even though I suppose there's no guarantee anyone received anything. It's all magic!

And my significant other gets the story of finding me on the floor in the hallway at 11pm the night before we leave with fabric and scissors making my mailbag. Because that's the perfect time and place for crafting .... Of course he can't talk because he hadn't yet started packing. :)
  • :)  I totally forgot to make our bags, got so into making my gifts  :)  I'm going to make a tutorial on how we made ours for next year (baggies+duct tape+magnets=win)
  • I lucked out.  I had an old camp flag, I cut it up to make pockets.  Made it super cute, super fast, with no new materials needed =) 

I made the cup cozies which would have been cooler if RCI had no changed the cup you get.  I made them to cup mark last years cups only this years cups were smaller *sigh*  They will still work on standard Starbucks cups. 

• I loved this!  It was always so much fun to go to my room, often tired or rushed to get to the next thing, and have a little surprise waiting for me.  So many fun things!  And it was fun to deliver my  gifts and hope people liked them.  ^_^
  • LOVED THIS!! Definitely want to do again next year!!!!!