CruiseMonkey 4

edited January 2014 in JoCo Cruise
It is time for beta testing of CruiseMonkey 4.

If you wish to be included in the set of devices permitted to install when I put out a beta build in the next few days, please follow the instructions below.

Requirements

• iOS: Any device supporting iOS 6 or 7
  • Android: Any device supporting Android 4.0 or higher
  • Web: A browser capable of modern HTML5

Beta Testing

Beta iOS and Android releases are available through TestFlight. To be notified of beta downloads, do the following:

1. Sign up at testflightapp.com.
  2. Register your device by browsing to testflightapp.com directly on your mobile device. It will prompt for a login (if you haven't already) and then register a certificate profile with your device which allows pushing beta releases to your device.
  3. Go to the CruiseMonkey beta recruitment page and apply as a tester.

Returning Beta Testers on iOS - Action Required!

Apple only allows a certain number of approved devices to be built into test binaries. This means that I have a limited number of test slots available. Rather than adding to last year's beta list, I'm starting over this year, since it's possible that some of last year's testers have bought or gotten rid of devices or will not be attending JCCC4.

If you have beta tested previous CruiseMonkey releases, please email me at [email protected] to let me know your TestFlight account email address and which device(s) are still active and that you would like to test again this year.

For a complete list of release notes and instructions which I will attempt to keep up to date, see the GitHub page.

Comments

• Are there any special steps required to test for Android?
  • @ProfBeard Turns out TestFlight supports Android now, too, so give that signup a shot and let me know if it works.  If so, I'll update my docs.  :)
  • I just installed TestFlight on my Samsung SIII running Android 4.3 and applied to be a beta tester for CruiseMonkey.
  • I had signed up on TestFlight at the same time as I posted the question, and just received an email that Cruisemonkey 3.9.1 is available. Time to go apply on the beta page and get this monkey installed! Or maybe I should go replace my Galaxy Nexus with that Moto X I've been eyeing first...
  • Hi, just applied to beta test Cruise Monkey!  I'm curious to see how it performs on my Nexus 7!
  • OK, I believe everyone who has pinged me should be able to run the CM beta now.  If I missed someone, let me know.
  • Dumb (?) Question: What is the correct Twit-arr server?
  • CruiseMonkey comes pre-configured to use Kvort_the_Duck's twit-arr beta server.
  • That means that people are going to need twit-arr accounts to use CM...  It isn't required to have an account, is it @RangerRick?

• Ah, I must be mis-remembering my user/pass, than.  I'll figure it out, unless there's a log somewhere?

• edited January 2014
    Damn, doublepost.  Looking like a real Jeenyus, here...
  • Twit-arr is completely reimplemented this year.  It's not using the existing status.net server nor usernames and passwords.  You'll need to register for a new account.
  • creating account now.......
  • How do you want defect reports? Here? Or email? or test flight?
  • Roger roger. I have something to drop in today, I'm hitting it pretty hard though :)
  • @Kvort_the_Duck ; I just went and signed up for an account on the Twit-arr server using Oboewan as my handle.  I looks like the account was created but is disabled...  I don't see any receipt of an activation email.

Any ideas?

• @Kvort_the_Duck CruiseMonkey will work fine in read-only mode without a Twit-Arr account.  If you want to be able to log in and create/edit events, post things, etc., you will have to have a Twit-Arr account.

• I received the notes for CruiseMonkey. I opened the most recent one and selected the install button, which brought up TestFlight on my iPhone. I was asked for my permission to install (which I gave), but I don't see any CruiseMonkey icons.  If I go into the TestFlight app, I still see that I can install CruiseMonkey.

Am I missing something?
  • So that first bit is to install a certificate that allows TestFlight to send you binaries over the internet.  Once you've done all that, *then* in the testflight app you should be able to click install on the cruisemonkey app and it will download the actual cruisemonkey release.
  • edited January 2014
    Right, I installed the certificate for TestFlight yesterday (or I went through the motions of installing it).
  • Under profiles, I can see "TestFlight Webclip" as verified with the signature.
  • I guess I'm not sure what you're trying to do then.  So when you either go to testflightapp.com in Safari or in the iOS TestFlight app, do you not see CruiseMonkey there with an "Install" button?
  • It installs fine on my iPad.

In TestFlight, I see CruiseMonkey with an Install button. I press the button, it asks for permission to install, I give it permission to install, and, voila, no CruiseMonkey icon :-(
  • @Oboewan - I actually don't see the request - did you sign up at twitarr.rylath.net?
  • edited January 2014
    | Nevermind, I needed to import the Twit-Arr certificate.

On my iPad, it shows the current version of 3.9.1+20140114121247, with the proper Twitarr URL, but I'm getting a "Failed to log in to twit-arr" message when I give the same userid (Simalot) and pw that I just typed in successfully on Windows. My PW is only seven characters and uses mixed case and numbers, if any of that could cause a problem.
  • Oh!  Damn, I forgot to add that to the instructions, I'll do that now.  :P

Because the twit-arr server is using a self-signed certificate, you have to import it into your keychain before you can log in through CruiseMonkey.

In CruiseMonkey, go to Advanced, and then click the "Import" button.

Then try logging in again.  I'm not sure if you'll have to restart CruiseMonkey for it to work.
  • Yes, it worked without restarting CruiseMonkey. I found it as you were writing up the info. Still not sure what's happening on my iPhone.
  • It looks like I broke account creation sometime recently - I'll have to fix it later tonight. Sorry

@simalot - that sounds like something unrelated - if you can log in to Twitarr then you should be able to get into CM. I haven't tested passwords with numbers but I can't think they'd break anything.
  • Thanks- will try again tomorrow :)

• Twit-arr is back up and running. Accounts that were requested have been enabled.

Yay!
  • Got Cruise Monkey installed on my Samsung SIII (Android 4.3). When I run it, it hangs on 'Checking for updates'.
  • I've just put out an update, could you let me know if it works for you?
  • I was able to install this version on both my iPad and iPhone. Seems to be working fine.
  • Loaded Cruise Monkey just now and it seems to be working fine (after importing the Twit-arr certificate & resetting the database). I'm on a iPhone 5 version 7.0.4
  • I signed up. I was in the beta last year. If you've still got slots, I'd like to take a look again.

• Looking good so far!
  • Am I supposed to be installing Twit-arr too?  iPhone 5s, iOS 7.
  • There's no "install" for twit-arr.  :)

They share login information though so if you want to actually have data in either you'll need a Twit-arr account. http://twitarr.rylath.net

And I'm planning on moving the accounts over to the "real" server when the time comes, so no account wipes.

>>>>>>>>>  Nathan
  • Thanks, Kvort!  I've set up an account.
  • Not sure where I've replied ... have still not been able to get Cruisemonkey to work on Android 4.3. Monkey sad. :(
  • With today's release I can get to Cruise Monkey!

I see no events, but lots of deck plans and 'Amenities'.
  • Event sync is currently slow on first launch, but if you leave it it should finish in a few minutes. I have plans to clean that up soon.
  • I got my twitarr account but CM tells me failed log in.
    android 4.1.1
    what am I not doing right?
  • Hey @RangerRick

I've gotten a couple of questions about the CM server name - can you post it here? Some people are inputting twitarr where CM server name goes (which is understandable).
  • New release:

More rearchitecting and cleanup.

* update to the latest Ionic
    * update to the latest AngularJS and angular-ui-router
    * fix deck loading when the deck controller remembers the previous deck viewed
    * remove a bunch of unused resources (smaller download)
    * more refactoring of the event query subsystem, should reduce memory usage a bit
    * tons of style cleanup and tweaking

Note: the default configuration under "Advanced" should work for everyone right now; if you’ve accidentally changed it, here are the defaults:

Database Host: cm.raccoonfink.com
    Database Name: cruisemonkey
    Replication Refresh Time: 20000

I’ll update the "Advanced" pane’s "Reset" button to reset to factory defaults in the next release.  :)

Thanks for the heads up, @Kvort_the_Duck, made a note in the release notes in case anyone needs to put it back to defaults.

I've not yet figured out the Android 2.x issue, so unfortunately the Android version isn't working there yet.  Hopefully I can get to that soon.  Also gonna start looking at your API stuff, @Kvort_the_Duck.

Starting to shape up!
  • If folks would like, I'll map twit-arr.com and www.twit-arr.com to the appropriate server so that they'll work if entered.
  • It's more that the cruisemonkey backend is not set up on the same physical server as Kvort's twit-arr test server right now, so we'd need 2 hostnames regardless.  Unless Kvort wants to run CouchDB on his server, which I'm guessing not.

Once we're closer to ready, we'll have it all set up on @gbasden's laptop and the differences will go away.
  • edited January 2014
    @RangerRick - No, I have no desire to let the blue smoke out of my little atom-powered server.  :)

@BrettGlass - It's an interesting idea, but there's enough references to twitarr.rylath.net around now that I think it would be redundant.

It does give me a good idea though - once we get @gbadsen's server up and working I should redirect my existing twitarr url there. I don't think I want to redirect it via DNS though - if we did that I don't think the certs would work correctly - name mismatch.

Edited to add: Actually, that would break anyone who has the old URL in CM. What I can do instead is change the CNAME record in DNS to point to the new server, then set up Nginx to respond to the different server names with different certs. I'm pretty sure I can do that.
  • I have no problems putting out a new CM version that points to the new server, and blows away the old twit-arr setting, either.  That might be easier than Herculean redirect tricks for what is only a beta.  ;)