JCCC4: Scotch and Smoke Event(s)

edited January 2014 in JoCo Cruise
There was discussion of who might be interested in doing something like this, this the discussion of the actual logistics!

I think that we should have at least one, if not two, such events.  My thoughts are that Tuesday night (after Grand Cayman) would be the best night to do this on (pending official events of course).  That allows us to acquire some fine cigars from a country that has no law banning Cuban cigars.  I also really enjoyed the capstone of the cruise being the simultaneous discovery by several of the group of the cigar bar (weather I am sure was a factor in funneling us there) and would like to repeat that experience (without the high winds/speed and large waves).

While on the subject, who is interested in pitching money together to buy a box of cigars, rather than getting them all individually.  I know Bino is quite adept at finding a good deal on great cigars and great scotch as well.  I would say we could do the same for scotch, but officially they will take your alcohol and not give it back til the last night...so there is no guarantee of getting this, the available scotches onboard are good, but there are better available on the islands.

What say you?!

Comments

• Here's the previous discussion, for reference.
  • Be careful bringing the cigars back aboard the ship. They may have issue with that.
  • no issue with bringing cigars back onboard, since they don't have a real vested interest in preventing it (they don't really sell cigars if at all, unlike alcohol).
  • From my experience, on the ship they don't care. It would be when coming back through customs if you tried to bring them back into the US that there is a risk of being confiscated if discovered.  (Assuming we're talking Cubans.)

• Bringing Cuban cigars back is largely a nonissue if you're not being super obvious about it, and you're not carrying so many as to constitute bootlegging. You might get unlucky, sure, but generally speaking you'll get 'em in fine.

I brought about a dozen back from Dubai last year, e.g., in my checked bag. I didn't even bother to unbox/unband them. 

If TSA sees them in a carry-on, you might have a different experience, but my gut says that they have bigger fish to fry these days.
  • I think I might bring my pipe this year. I got it on a whim several years ago, but rarely get around to actually smoking it. Kind of a hassle to keep it lit and tamped, then having to clean it every time. Smells nice though.

• There are several among us that are pipe smokers, myself included, but I will likely not be bringing my fully functional 16" wizard pipe as it may get damaged in transit and that would be sad.
  • I did not bring my churchwarden, @isildur42. I tend to keep that at home. Same with the calabash.
  • this seems relevant to our interests: http://i.imgur.com/Zt54JKH.jpg
  • How do people feel about doing the Smoke and Scotch (at least one of them) on Friday night during/after the Farewell Cocktail Party.  That or during the movie night would be the times I have available in the evenings.