JCCC4 - Knit/crochet/etc square swap

edited December 2013 in JoCo Cruise
Knitters, crocheters, fabric artists:
I am thinking about an afghan square swap. Everyone works up some squares - 12"x12", worsted weight - and brings them on the cruise. When we get on the boat, we swap. You could sew them together for a blanket or a scarf.

Comments

• Ooh, that could be fun.  I crochet a little bit, but I've only done very simple things; scarves, blankets and the like.  I'd have to learn squares.
  • The nice thing about squares is that they can be as complicated or easy as you want. There are tons of patterns for afghan squares. As long as it is 12"x12", you're good.
  • too many other projects... not sure I can knit a 12x12 by cruise time! =(

Is there a general crafty gathering that happens on the cruise?

• There is pretty much always something crafty going on in the conference center. Generally, if you start crafting, someone will join you.

• @bethbny's right, although I do think some people were a little miffed at us for taking up valuable gaming space with crafting on JCCC3.
  • @bethbny - What a totally awesome idea!  I have done two major afghans this (just finishing up the second one) and would really like to do a few squares before starting another major project.  I just saw a neat pattern on Knit and Crochet Now.

Count me in!

Laurie
  • "year".  Two major afghans this year.
  • I was guessing "picosecond", but I suppose "year" makes more sense.  :)
  • I know nothing about crocheting myself, but a friend I just spent a week with was working on crocheting some kind of shawl with skulls on it. If anyone is interested in making a square with skulls in it for this, I could ask her if she can share the pattern.
  • I don't personally have any use for a skull square, but I would be glad to make one for you if you get the pattern.
  • Yay! I'm excited for this. I'll totally knit or crochet a few squares.
  • Does it have to be worsted weight? I have a really fun fuzzy purple yarn that I would like to use.
  • I am the world's slowest knitter, but recently I've formed a spinning addiction. Would anybody be interested if I brought some homespun to the swap?
  • I could bring some handspun. I have a trunk full that I can't bear to knit. Someone without an emotional attachment to them might be able to actually work with them.

Knitted/crocheted squares would be fun.  Worsted weight would make the squares all uniform weight for sewing together. 12x12 might be big to make several squares from. I just finished helping with a group baby blanket and we stuck to about 8x8 and even with that we were scrambling to finish up squares.

Thought about size?
  • How many squares? 
  • I was also thinking about size.  I agree that 12 x 12 would be too big.  I was thinking that 6 x 6 would be a good size, but could do 8 x 8 if everyone agrees.  We should try to get a consensus soon before getting too far into the project.
  • I'm good with whatever size. I normally knit, but my mother just showed me a couple of neat "quick" crochet options, so I'm trying that this weekend. 8 by 8 is a pretty good size.
  • Well, I just successfully crocheted my first 12x12 granny square. I still think I prefer knitting, but I like the way they look. 
  • edited January 2014
    Brand new knitter here, but I think I can do this. I have some bulky yarn that I'm saving for a sampler blanket, and I'd love to be able to swap a square from it for a square from someone else to go into the eventual blanket. I'm probably going to end up finishing it on the boat, however, since there are other projects in my queue.

Also, I vote for 12" x 12" *and* smaller multiples thereof for people who want to use smaller thread, etc. so that my resulting blanket won't be so darn uneven. :)
  • Did any decision get made as to the size we need to bring? I have one 12x12 and one 8x8, but that was more luck than anything.
  • Yeah, I need to get started and I need to know size and number.  

Help! 
  • I started working on a 12" x 12" square already in preparation for this swap. I think that of the people who've spoken up so far, 6" x 6", 8" x 8" and 12" x 12" are all contenders. I say that we should just do what we want with whatever yarn we have and whomever we swap with can eventually fit the finished square into whatever project they want to do, right?
  • I'm in!! Sounds like fun!! I'll make 12x12. How many do we all want to make? Just whatever we can finish and then swap what we have?
  • Question: when and where will we meet for the square swap?
  • ...aaaand time has gotten away from me. Not sure I'll have much success getting squares together in the next 11 days.
  • I'm bringing my lace scarf that I recently re-started, but pondering a 2nd project. should I another lace project, or amigurumi project (either a jelly fish or making another katamari ball)?
  • I am unlikely to have time to make squares.  This makes me sad.
  • I plan to bring some knitting projects, and maybe a crochet hook or three.  But, I would like to put in a plea for our craftyness to NOT be sequestered into the dark, windowless conference center.  We are on a ship, at sea, in the Caribbean where there is lots of light to actually see what you are doing, and warmth and sunshine/shaded areas to enjoy (plus better beverage service).

Let us bring ourselves to the sunshine (after application of sunscreen and a nice sun hat) and create!!!
  • I'm okay with open air, but not with sunshine -- I need shade. Other than that, I'm game to knit (or more likely crochet this time around) anywhere. The one argument for the game room is we're easy to find there -- several people told me after JCCC1 and 2 (during which the knitters were mostly in the Piano Bar) that they'd have loved to hang out with us if they'd known where we were. When we were in the game room, everyone found us easily. But a few people didn't like us taking up valuable gaming space for non-games, and it WAS rather dark and airless, so I guess we can't please everyone -- best we can do is come up with a place and get the word out (maybe we can get a mention in the daily newsletter).
  • I was going to do squares - but I moved country and don't have my stash. But I'll bring socks with me (to knit - hopefully it'll be too warn to wear them!)

• There was a big circular room up near the top of the ship with windows looking out on all sides, and I went up there and knit several times when I needed a quiet place to hang out. It was always nearly empty. We might have to reconfigure some furniture to make it work, but it had nice views and lots of natural light, yet still enclosed so as to avoid the wind (of which there was a crazy amount last year) and the sticky humidity of the outside.

(um. i am sure someone else will remember the actual name of that room? maybe?)
  • I believe you're referring to the Viking Crown Lounge. It is indeed a beautiful (usually) quiet sheltered place to hang out. You can't always count on it being empty and quiet though. There will be some times when it is noisy and crowded. Though I think that's most unlikely during the day.

• We do have exclusive access to Cloud Nine (a card room that is a part of the Viking Crown Lounge) for quite a lot of time on Monday and Friday (some events are already utilizing that space) during the day, and every evening. In the evenings, we also have Seven Hearts, another room up there.
  • There are some evening (and maybe other) ship events up in that space that have live music. We wound up moving the Scrabble game to another room because the music became loud.
  • Hmmm... So noted. We currently only have one event happening up there in the evenings. Hopefully the daytime events aren't too loud.

I will be keeping an eye on the Cruise Compass to see if live music hours are listed, and try to adjust as necessary.

• There are shaded areas around the pool, and depending on which way the ship is moving, on some of the open decks.  We can post a notice in the conference center about where the fiber folks are hanging out and that can help folks find us.

As long as the Viking Crown Lounge has windows, then that is a good option for those who like light but don't like actual sun.

We can start setting up with messages at the conference center.

• So I realized unpacking that I brought my squares to the cruise and brought them back home with me. We didn't have Twit-arr set up on Monday and I didn't know to look in the game room for info so I missed Monday's meet-up. Then I stayed up late to watch the shows on Thursday and didn't make it down in time for Friday's meet-up either. Sorry about that. I guess I can bring them back next year and hope to share this time.