Games aboard JCCC4

edited December 2013 in JoCo Cruise
Since I haven't seen any discussion of games for JCCC4 yet, I decided I'd step up an start the thread this time around.  I must say, I am so very much looking forward to going to sea once more and playing some games with all the great folks I met last year! 

as @nperkins said last year: 

isildur42 set up an account for jococruisecrazy on the website boardgamegeek.com back in June 2011. Here are his instructions that hold true today (as far as I know):

This can be used to keep track of what games are being brought to the cruise, so we don't have too much overlap or assume somebody else will bring it. I have used this system for several years to keep track of another gathering I participate in.

Find the game in question, and "add a copy to the collection" down at the bottom of the page. If you are staying at the jocotel, please mark the game as "pre-ordered" as well. The games marked pre-ordered are ones that will be at the jocotel.

I recommend you put your name/username in the comments so we know who is bringing it.

the username and password are "jococruisecrazy"

ProfBeard here again: I just logged in to the account, with the idea of wiping the collection like nperkins did for JCCC3.  When I looked, I saw that @Oboewan has recently added some comments to the list in the past couple of months and decided I shouldn't be so hasty as to just remove everything and make people re-enter their games if they are returning and bringing some of the same games.

Therefore, I propose this: To clean up the list for JCCC4, on 1/1/2014 I will log in and remove any games that do not have a date stamp in the Comment field of 09/03/2013 or later (the first comment present since JCCC3).  If you just add '2014' or 'JCCC4' to the Comment field of a game you added to the list previously, that will update the timestamp.

Any thought or objections to this plan?  What will you bring?

Comments

• That sounds good, thanks for taking the initiative :)
  • I'm of two minds about the cleansing.    I like the idea of having games there with "2014 if requested" so that folks who don't have a lot of games to bring themselves can request a game from someone who brought it on a previous JCCC, but also understand that this makes for a lot of "dead bits" in the list.   

• The plan I proposed would only drop the items that haven't been commented on one way or another. I like the idea of 'if requested' listings as well, and all the items marked as such will have updated Comment timestamps, so they would stay as well.
  • Somehow, my brain didn't process that from the original posting....   :-)
  • No worries, it took me some staring time to figure out the best way to do the clearing without removing valid entries.

As a reminder to everyone else, I will be cleaning out the collection on the jococruisecrazy boardgamegeek account on January 1st, 2014 to make way for the list of games on JCCC4. I will leave anything with a Comment field update of 9/1/2013 or later, so if you have games in there you added last time around and will be bringing again (or even if only by request, as above), feel free to update the comment field so they won't be removed.  Any new games added (with a comment) will not be affected by this, so feel free to add to the collection.
  • Also, feel free to browse my collection on the Geek and let me know if you see something you'd really like me to bring.  
  • Anyone traveling by plane who has recommendations for how to bring games with them?  Last year we drove, and so I had my big tupperware bins with games in them, but this year we'll be flying down.
  • I packed a lot of little games into the inner space of a bigger box (like various card games into the void under the board for Dixit, which is all empty space.)
  • edited January 2014
    Nesting is definitely the way to pack.   Take out those pesky plastic "inserts" the games come with, put pieces in plastic baggies, and nest, nest, nest......
  • Also while it's hopefully unlikely, be sure to account for the possibility that TSA may open and inspect containers. Clear plastic baggies may be a big help there.

• Ok, the collection is cleaned up, and is down to 18 games (!!!).  Feel free to start adding games you are bringing. 

@Oboewan, please take a look and make sure I didn't accidentally remove anything you had updated (since you and I were really the only ones to update items it seems).
  • I've just added Munchkin, 7 Wonders, Keyflower, and Ticket To Ride to the boardgamegeek collection.
  • @Profbeard looks fine to me!  

*Note* I've commented on some of the games I've brought in the past that I do not plan to bring this year unless specifically requested

@rorymacleod ;just recently learned Keyflower and really enjoyed it!

• hey y'all, if i put a game on this list, is it assumed i'm going t bring it and leave it in the library or just that it would be tehre and someone could twitarr me to borrow it or something? i only ask because in general am ok with leaving my games for public use, however i have two games i want to bring that are 1) expensive with fancy parts i'd be worried abotusomething happening to (Krosmaster Arena) and 2) Completely out of print and worth hundreds of dollars (English edition Witches Brew) and wouldn't be comfortable leaving them out of my care or knowing who was borrowing them. 
  • I'd go ahead and leave all but the two games in the room and maybe use the boards in the game room (or twitarr) to "schedule" sessions of Krosmaster Arena or Witches Brew.    
  • edited January 2014
    @physicistlisa Generally, games on the list are left in the game room's library. But, I totally get not wanting to leave something that special unattended. I'd say add them to the list, but add a comment along the lines of "by appointment only" or "find me to play them!" If that sort of thing is considered a bad precedent, just bringing them unannounced and scheduling sessions using twitarr or the whiteboards would be wonderful.

Now, I need to figure out what games I'm bringing. I'm hoping to bring a copy of The Quiet Year... if I can get a copy in the next two months. Hmm, what else?
  • I'm hoping my copy of A Study in Emerald arrives in time.... based on a Neil Gaimon short story about Sherlock Holmes but with some Cthulu thrown in :)
  • Oboewan, I've gotten my copy already. If yours doesn't arrive in time, let me know and I'll pack mine.
  • @JadeSnake if you are willing to bring and have room, feel free to do so!  I can't wait to play it again.

• It'll be a case of I can bring it if no one else can. I want to pack as light as possible and don't spend much time in the game room, but if folks want to play, they should be able to.
  • Gotcha... I'll let you know if I don't get it for some reason.
  • awesome, thanks! i will do that :) 
  • i might do a dry run this weekend just to see how many i can fit in my bigger suitcase that i'll check :) 
  • We brought games last time but they were duplicates and I never got to play (too much going on!) This year will be different, I will make time to play games but all the ones I have played or want to play will be brought by someone else, I'm sure (which is good cause I always overpack). As for the leaving of stuff in the gaming room, that is generally safe.
    Looking forward to playing!!!!
  • edited January 2014
    RPGs don't show up in the boardgamegeek.com site, but since rpggeek.com exists and is pretty much the same thing (shared accounts), I have added a link to the RPG collection in the quickbar (I also updated the name of the board game collection's link... it was still showing JCCCII, heh). It works just like the board game collection, but is for RPGs instead! So if you're bringing an RPG-ish game, and it's not on one site, try the other. You might need to log in again when switching domains, but the same username and password will work on both.

Mostly I did this because The Quiet Year doesn't show up in boardgamegeek.com's library, but I wanted a record that it'll be on the cruise.
  • Good heavens, it's that time of year again to discuss what we're bringing?

Regarding leaving stuff in the game room, I've yet to hear of anyone losing anything after any of the cruises.  A few people chose to abandon some games for the crew to keep to play with, but otherwise as far as I know everyone has gotten their stuff back intact.

Figured I'd bring my copy of The Resistance: Avalon since it's now my favorite board game.
  • IIRC, the idea of the crew playing with games that were left was only on JCCC1. On later cruises (and specifically last year) the people cleaning the room said games left would be thrown away.
  • Is someone Johann Sebastian Joust again?
  • I will be bringing it, and a few move controllers. I asked for some space for it as well, we'll see how it shakes out.
  • Great, I just showed my kids the video of people playing it and they are totally psyched!!!

• Would anyone be interested in one of those 8 person "host a murder" games? I got one for Christmas and have no current murder-hosting plans.
  • I was going to try and do one last year but got sick.  Bring it and maybe we will find a group :D
  • I'll bring a copy of my Pathfinder Adventure Card Game -- not just the current one, but the one fellow cruisemates Chad Brown, Tanis O'Connor, and I have been designing and playtesting for release in August. It's about pirates and boats and things.

Mike
  • I'm interested in a murder game!
  • Speaking of Johann Sebastian Joust, I'm happy to bring some Move controllers with me.  If the Playstation 3 version releases before we sail (possible), I may bring that with me as well.

As with past JCCC cruises, I'll be bringing a game console of some flavor with me.  In years past, I brought Rock Band for PS3 with various instruments and pretty much all available songs (>2900); is there interest in this again this year?
  • Pirates and boats and things!
  • dndgirl, I will pack the murder game! This one is "Pasta, Passion, & Pistols." (Hope the link works)

http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Mystery-Party-Passion-Pistols/dp/B00000J00L
  • BTW, we've made it clear to the Independence folks that we'd like any games left onboard to be donated to the crew.

Hopefully this will result in less "throwing out" than last year.

P
  • We're going to bring a few little games like Hanabi, Love Letters, maybe Red November (aka Red Gnomevember) and maybe Pick a Pig and Pick a Dog. 

@Selinker - we just got the Pathfinder card game for Christmas and started up a game. My husband is also running a Pathfinder pirate campaign, so I bet he'd be super psyched to play your pirate one. 

• @amcholman

I would also be interested in a murder game!
  • @Pawluh:  Red November is on my permanent JCCC packing list, because it's thematically appropriate and I have the older version that's small enough to fit in a coat pocket.  Another copy is certainly welcome, but if you're short on space, that's one you could leave out.
  • edited January 2014
    @Selniker: Ooh, playtesting? I'm in.

I just added three card games to the list, one of them a more "mundane" game which I'd bought because my nieces requested to be able to play it at our reception and I understand there will be younger Sea Monkeys on board.

When it comes to "staples" like regular Settlers of Catan, etc., do we assume that they'll be there or bring our copies?
  • edited January 2014
    @TrishaLynn ;  My best advice is that if it's not on the BGG.com list and you'd want to play it, you should probably bring it yourself (add it to the list) if you can.   I'm currently planning on bringing Star Trek Catan
  • Woohoo!    A Study in Emerald just arrived!
  • @oboewan Awesome news! Very much looking forward to trying that one. @selinker Oh my... Pirates! Very exciting stuff...  

I have to go pore over the list and see what else I want to bring.
  • So, who's heard of Live Action Role-Playing Chess as played at Gen Con?
  • I am intrigued.  Do you have people on the chess board and someone tells you where to move?
  • Yes, dndgirl, people on the chess board.  To quote from the rule book, "Each player takes the part of a fantasy combatant based on the major chess pieces, fighting their sworn enemies in a battle to the finish! Players role-play the part of their piece : a stalwart Warrior, perhaps, or a wise Mage, all the while standing on a life-sized chess board . The object is to be loud, have a good time, `die' valiantly and come back for the next game!"

Sixteen is typical, but I have run it with as many as 32, with the extra 16 being "mercenaries" who start unaffiliated in the middle of the board.
  • This really sounds cool!