Dietary restrictions on a boat

edited November 2013 in JoCo Cruise
For those of us with food allergies and/or other dietary restrictions like vegetarians and vegans, a cruise can be a bit daunting. It's not like you can head off to the grocery store or go to a different restaurant and then meet up for drinks later, so what can we all do? The good news for vegetarians is that there is a vegetarian option at every meal in the main dining room, and there appears to be a sometimes-off-menu Indian vegetarian dish available each night at dinner. You don't have to make any special requests ahead of time if you are vegetarian. For the rest of us, there is this FAQ from Royal Caribbean.

If you have a dietary need like gluten free, kosher, low-sodium, etc., you need to notify Royal Caribbean at least 45 days prior to sailing. The good news is that once on the ship, I have found that the staff are very accommodating. It helps to sit at the same table in the main dining room each night since you will have the same waitstaff, but it's not 100% necessary as long as you don't mind explaining your restriction each night. In addition, last year I went to the buffet and asked one of the head waiters about which items were gluten-free, and she went and got one of the chefs, who walked me through the buffet and pointed out all of the items that were safe for me to eat. I highly recommend doing this if you have a food allergy.

I also recommend going to the maître d' at the main dining room when you arrive on the boat to discuss your restrictions. They will give you access to the next night's menu each day so that you can choose an item in advance and write down your dietary restriction on the menu. That's why it helps to sit at the same table each night, because your waiter will bring you the menu as well. If you are vegetarian this isn't as big a deal because there was always a vegetarian choice on the menu every night, but for any other dietary restrictions this is a big help.

I've been on all three previous cruises with a pretty debilitating food sensitivity, so please let me know if I can help you navigate the wild world of eating on a giant strange floating resort thing.

Comments

• A couple of other items - if you are severely allergic, the buffet may not be great in terms of cross-contamination. I was standing in line to get some (safe) french fries, and the guy in front of my chose to use the mac and cheese spoon in the fries - there went my safe fries into the evil land of dairy. If I hadn't actually seen it happen, I may not have known until I had a reaction.

Also - even if the waiter who took your order listened to your allergies, double-check again when they bring your food. I had one meal in the dining room where they said the sauce was not safe - my food came out with the sauce on it. I had to flag down a waiter to get a new dinner sans sauce.

None of this stuff is new to someone with allergies, but you have to be hyper vigilant. Unfortunately I ate something on night 1 that I was told was OK and later found out wasn't, which kind of set me off on the wrong foot for the rest of the week.
  • Agreed re: sauces and cross-contamination. I think that in the main dining room they try to be more careful about cross-contamination. Buffets are kind of difficult to deal with in general if you have a food allergy, since you have no control over what other people might do to contaminate items when they're getting their own food. And many sauces in big kitchens like this are thickened with flour or have other additives as a shortcut because they don't have time to properly reduce the sauces to thicken them, so it's generally safer to either ask about every ingredient in the sauce or skip the sauce altogether.

I also found that the other restaurants, primarily the steakhouse, was very good at dealing with allergies - we had multiple different allergies at our table, and the server rattled off every ingredient and was readily able to tell us which items included what allergens. If you're willing to spring for the extra charge, it's a worthwhile option.

Please also note that you can bring your own food on board as long as it's dry and nonperishable, so last year I brought protein bars and Kind bars for myself just in case. That worked really well for mornings when I slept in late and missed breakfast or wanted to just hang out on my balcony with some tea instead of schlepping to the dining room. Energy bars, nuts, chips, etc. are all things you can bring on board with you.
  • edited November 2013
    On a good note, the medical center on Allure was only $56 for our visit during our Halloween cruise... to get checked out for vomiting/possible allergic reaction!

*not taking the kid OR the husband on THIS cruise!  I'm eating EVERYTHING!!!*
  • I know this might be an anxiety induced question, but I'm hoping someone with experience can help. 

I have a total of 4 epi-pens right now (2 2-paks). I have never had to use 2 at once so far when bad things slip through, but this is also the first cruise I've taken now that my body decided to add many additional items to my allergic list (used to be simple with just eggs and walnuts). 

My question is that enough or should I ask the doctor for another prescription just in case? 
  • edited January 2014
    On our last cruise we found that the most difficult day for food allergies was the first day - the buffet was the only place to eat (we can't do the Italian restaurant) and like @Kathleen said, it is really difficult for food allergies. The rest of the cruise the MDR was VERY accommodating.

This year we're planning on eating lunch off the boat and boarding after that. Not only will we be able to eat without worrying about the allergies (we have already located a compatible restaurant near the dock) but we hopefully will miss the embarkation crowd.

I guess the last day was also difficult, but at that point you're less worried about ruining the vacation.  :)
  • Thank you. Could you share the restaurant details? That sounds like a nice option for us on the first day.
  • We're special in that seafood is OK. (well, other than shrimp)  If you're in that ... boat ... as well then I think we're planning on a place called Kelly's Landing: http://www.kellyslanding.com/

Not fixed on it, just liked the menu with good reviews.
  • dcwlopez: The epi-pen is good for 5 minutes each.  I think it may be your call as to your severity of reaction, how long it takes for the secondary meds to kick in for you, how often you have reactions, etc.  The medical center would try to stabilize you (if we're out to sea) and then call off the ship for your evacuation to the nearest medical facility.  All evacuations will take more than 10 minutes.  Getting to the med center on the Allure from the kid's clubs took more than 5 minutes for us.  No assistance was given from ship personnel, either, other than directions.

My husband has analphylaxis, kiddo has bile emesis.  We make sure the med insurance covers the right type of medical evacuations, and we've only had to use our ER policy in Cozumel (Pediatric department there is pretty good for emergencies, total bill was a little over $1000, pay at time of service and get reimbursed later).  Kaiser Permanente covers my medical insurance overseas (found this out after Cozumel).

With regards to cruiselines' handling of severe food allergies, Royal Caribbean did okay.  Disney and Norwegian did better.  Our cruise on the Allure over Halloween had quite a bit of Chinese-targeted food for the Chinese VIPs we saw on board.  The kids club was hindered by fryers not cooking potatoes for fries exclusively, and the extreme availability of shellfish wherever they took the kids.  Kiddo actually got tired of cheese pizza on that cruise.

Hope all that helps!
  • edited January 2014
    My experience with the buffet was actually pretty nice - I talked to one of the dining room managers and they retrieved a chef who walked around with me and told me which items were ok, and they said I could do that every day if I wanted to eat there. They also made me eggs to order because the ones on the buffet had some cross-contamination risk. (edited to add: I see I mentioned this in the first post. Sorry for the repeat!)

For @dcwlopez, I always err on the side of caution with regards to meds. If you would feel more comfortable having extra epi-pens on hand, I think it's worth doing, more for peace of mind than anything else.
  • Thanks. I'll ask for another prescription when I see the doctor next week. Thanks for all the help guys!